1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enhancing Improvements

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Doom Smack, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Ayane69

Well enhancement system seems to be big concern. Fail Stacks, Cron Stones, and Black stones ..oh my.....
    I think I've only played one or two MMORPGs that had a decent enh. system, but I have to agree with the "not too happy about this one camp".
    I'll avoid posting rehashed reasons that been listed over, and over, and over, and .. (ad Nasuem).

2. elephantgrey

I get that pure tests of skill are fun, CoD/fortnight/overwatch/csgo/Dota/street fighter/etc are popular for a reason (OW is my pick atm), but if there's no progression I don't see the point in it being an MMO. If the game is purely skill based, the only possible rewards for any action is ultimately cosmetic (aside from pure bragging rights/leaderboards), and then I don't see the point in it taking place in a persistent, expansive world.
    Sure, a persistent map with changing ownership of territory, but why don't the fights just happen in instanced zones?

BDO is a game with lifeskills/node networks/workers/quests/pve/etc, all adding up to a huge depth of content that would have absolutely no reason to be or benefit in a purely skill based game.

Your asking the devs to throw out every other playstyle other than competetive PvP. And your right, I don't PvP in this game, I just lifeskill and optimise my node network. That's where my fun in this game, and that's why in fighting you on this.

And I can buy the Dota account that's ranked #1, and then because my account is #1, im #1. Dota is p2w.

3. LoonyFoon

Community is sufficient reason in and of itself to many people. People are driven toward cosmetic features by the same thing that drives them to get big numbers: to look cool to other people in the game. I think if you only play games to raise your numbers in those games, you should do some personal reflection and pursue something better with your time.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me, you'll have to reword it. As you wrote it, it sounds as though you're saying, "Obviously a persistent map is with changing territorial influences will still be cool without huge differences in character strength corresponding to XP, but why not just have those fights not in the persistent map with changing territorial influences that I just implied to be understandably cool."

We want the big map and the persistent influence of our victories. We just don't like the imbalance that leads to total destruction of all fun on the path to persistently influencing the map through our victories.

I disagree. If you have homes, decoration, ships, mounts, decorations, cool new costumes, dyes, and even good, fun, but not overpowered PvP-usable items that are all unlocked through the same kinds of grinding mechanics that already exist, a more balanced PvP would not entirely destroy the player incentive to pursue the grind for all of those other cool things that make the game and your character feel "cooler".

Please remember that how a game looks and feels is MOST of why we play it. If we just wanted the maximum depth and skill, we could achieve that faster through a text-based game that just expected good timing, pressing complex series of buttons appropriately, understanding a deep economy, et cetera. There are plenty of MUDs and MUSHs with deeper combat AND a deeper economy than Black Desert will EVER have. The reason people play BDO instead is because it's BEAUTIFUL. Beauty is a primary pull of a game like this, and the beauty that attracts people to BDO wouldn't vanish just because we made lvl 50 players more realistically capable of taking down lvl 65 players - or even if we entirely balanced PvP and destroyed the grind in THAT ONE ASPECT of the game.

Not true, I'm asking them to *introduce* competitive PvP to the game to make the game more fun (since we don't even really HAVE truly competitive PvP, in my opinion, but rather troll-based PvP, where one person can usually destroy the other with very little effort). There are plenty of incentives for players to explore and quest in a beautiful 3D fantasy world OTHER than getting the biggest numbers, even if they don't inspire you personally.

You won't actually WIN a match unless you know how to play well. This comment illustrates our fundamental differences well. In your mind, "winning" apparently means "having really big numbers". That definition of winning is a joke to me. In my mind, "winning" means DEFEATING the other player in terms of accomplishing a gameplay objective that only one of you can accomplish, such as killing each other, or beating each other in a race. I don't feel the pleasure of "winning" just because my numbers are bigger than someone. I don't feel like I'm currently "winning" in comparison to every player in BDO who started a week ago, or that they are "losing" because they just joined the game. That sounds like a stupid definition to me, so I could never live by it.

If the #1 ranked DOTA character 1-hitted new characters, DOTA would be just as pay-to-win as BDO. But that's not how DOTA works, so it's not even close to the same ballpark as BDO.

Obviously you can't even WIN a game without leveling up by your definition, because you only win if you have bigger numbers than everyone else, so by that extremely narcissistic standard of winning, you will be very disappointed in a skill-based game.

4. Dworkin Barimen

@LoonyFoon ,ok i am now sure that you are delusional,when you go alone and kill char that is lv 20 ,with a level 5 char in dota ,call me .....

5. elephantgrey

Well if cosmetics are the only rewards, and all things are equal, that means the game either can't sell coamecosm, or the only thing you can produce/buy in-game (and therefore ultimate goal of all non pvp) is by necessity just a worse version of what is in the cashshop.
    Sure you can have gear/pots/foods that affect non-combat related stats, but at that point, what is the point in the lifeskills being in the same game as the PvP? They are unrelated.

Same with having an expansive, seamless world. Why not just split the map into smaller instanced zones, and while your at it add a matchmaking lobby so that these zones fill so there's people to PvP... And it is t a MMO anymore.

And if you want a true test of skills you've got to get rid of the different classes.

Imho on the subject, MMOs make terrible skill based competetive competitions. But that's okay, not everything has to be competitive (look at hearthstone, trying to be a competitive esport is killing what used to be a rediculus, silly, fun game).

And I don't play BDO for the graphic, or art direction (intact in a bit prudish for its art direction), I play it still mainly for the depth in the node system, I like seeing myself rise up the lifeskill leaderboards, I like how I put in the time and the work and my character improves become of it (in a quamtifiaqua way). I also don't want to play dwarf fortress or setting(though in sure they could achieve similar) because sometimes I don't feel like getting/makimg X today, so I can buy X from the MP. The fact that theres interaction with others and competition over resources is a good thing (even though, sadly the competition seams to always lead to PvP).
    That's the kind of thing you can only get in an MMO.