1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EVE is a-calling...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Safka, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Safka

I've had to explain to a friend (that I enjoy gaming with) why I'm going to take another extended break from BDO. She's mostly an AFK lifeskiller at present, so she'll probably join me in greener pastures. Still... it's a pity.

I opted for the conqueror pack pre-launch, have invested mucho dollarage consistently since March 2016 and despite having taken two long breaks (of @8 months) have clocked up 579 days in-game. It's not as though I haven't put in the time and effort... and I've enjoyed myself along the way, for sure... though mostly down to players and friends, to be truthful.

I'm a fan of the engine, the graphics, the PvP and the PvE mix, the combat system, the world and soundscape, the wit and humour (the poor guy with the globe at Rakshan Observatory cheers me up every time I see him) and even the story/lore. I do not mind grind in order to attain.

Yet with BDO I always return to feeling demotivated and frustrated, with the fun and any sense of accomplishent and progression sucked out of me... by the overly-intrusive random element.

Not just the RNG of gamble-bandit-style boxes/chests or even of enchanting gear - that can be brutal and has been well-documented - but even the RNG involved in chopping a tree for logs. Yes, even that.

With maxed-out hedgehogs, alchemy stones, potion/food/elixir buffs, gear and Master/Guru status... it should not be possible to hit a tree with a stonking axe and return one log. One. Measly. Log. Over and over... just like a beginner toon wearing nothing more than rags and a cheeky grin. Burning through 400 energy out in the world a-chopping is a dispiriting and frustrating experience.

Lifeskills at Master/Guru level should be rewarded by more than merely a small increase in RNG chance and a resultant paltry increase in 'stuff.'

Some things make sense... when gated by skill/level accomplishment. The Master 1 farming requirement (for example) to use Old Moon fences. Great. Gotcha. No problem. But having Master training and facing the twentieth attempt at mount awakening... not so marvellous... especially when RNG dictates success for some at the ninth attempt (say) irrespective of time-served mastering relevant skills or time invested raising and training stables full of Tier 8 coursers. Dispiriting. Frustrating. Irritating. Wearing. Grnurph.

RNG dictating mob drops? Not an issue. Keep the pure luck involved in attracting the services of a Radiant Fairy, if you must. But accomplishment and attainment needs to be gated by effort and advancement... not through RNG. Simple.

As a player, lifeskills cannot be affected by any measure of skill that I possess (unlike PvP combat, particularly) so they need to be affected by the time I'm willing to spend increasing their level and attaining the highest profession... and not be dependent upon RNG. At all.

So please, reduce the widespread systems implementation of RNG mechanics and minimise the sense of failure, futility, irritation and frustration that creeps into even the simplest of low-intensity in-game tasks. I know this has been said many times but this is an entertainment product. Make money from being entertaining... which means reward your customers and make them smile rather than punish them and frustrate the mammaries off them.

Just a thought.

Have fun!

2. Catastigma

I love frustration and irritation. i am a masochist. if you remove this from BDO i will no more pleasure and no more fun.

stop being selfish. Mmorpg for me are already ultra rare. while for you. ultra casual wow copy-pasta mmo. there are hundreds of them in the market.

Change the nature of BDO. it's destroying it.

Angra =[NuD]=, Ink and Evil Wood like this.
  3. Factorial

So a game that is terribly implemented is your idea of fun. I suppose you don't know stupid that is of you. Enjoy being milked like a good docile, dumb cow. This is the type of sheep Pearl Abyss loves.

4. Vanquish

this is what it's like talking to catastigma[​IMG]

davidiven, Russo, Fearless V and 14 others like this.
  5. Catastigma

op2w.png

i am the only one here that never lose again the Pearls shop. i am a truth one.
    i enchanted 100% of my gear. all my progression are do by Myself.

I am the one and only non pigeon. The only one who really likes the game in its entirety. with the exception of its economic model ...

#5 Catastigma, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

your feedback is well written and I commend your pose with respect. I hope you find what brings a twinkle to your eye and finds you dancing like a dervish.

Please come visit us again when the Manos Crafting comes out and other new updates =)

Farewell in your journey

Reigne Irkalla and Safka like this.
  7. Ascaeldor

Ascaeldor Ascaeldor Musa 62 EU

So in short: You're proud of not spending money on a thing you enjoy... Like eating in a restaurant and let other people pay your bill.

8. Catastigma

The economic system is out of my ethical and moral. I would be a hypocrite to spend money.

Exception likes this.
  9. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Coming from a publisher that was the king of free to play and cash shop marketing, I can respect that statement.

Vote with your wallet, as we used to say.

MoZex and Catastigma like this.
  10. Slynx

Slynx Slynx Witch 61 EU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Catastigma

[​IMG]
    its cause of your weakness that P2W p2F p2c lootbox abuse/ economic model are still alive... and ruins alot of mmorpg !!!!!!

12. Slynx

Slynx Slynx Witch 61 EU

But honestly, I regret. If only I knew that PA will be such a trash company... game was some promising at the beginning... :/
    But hey, last payment is from 03.03.2018, there won't be next, right? Does it count?
    [​IMG]

Btw. looks at first days. Payments at 03.03.2016, 04.03.2016, 09.03.2016, 17.03.2016...
    but hey, game is only ~20$, right?
    Oh, we forgot to mention about inventory increase
    ... and additional weight, you need it...
    .. as well as more lodgings for your workers...
    ... and some space in storages for materials they gather...
    ... but game is still ONLY ~20$...

#12 Slynx, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  13. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Honestly, and coming from AeriaGames has probably jaded me a bit, I haven't found Kakaos cash shop management practices to be offensive. Yet. There have been some borderline questionable sales gimmicks, as there are in every mmo, but nothing, in my eyes, as evil as what I am used to.

I have no problemwith, and enjoy, spending on intangible game items, when I find them useful or pleasing, and I have purchased quite a bit, although probably not as much as many have, and certainly no where the amounts I once spent with Aeria.

I believe there are many fallacies that players sucker *themselves* into, rather than "being preyed upon", such as Value Packs and Artisan Memories to name a couple. Whereas certain items have a more sound and logical value that I believe provide overall more benefit greater than temporary "boosts", such as Expansion items (warehouse, inventory, weight, worker lodging, etc)

Having been, and still am, a "cash shop" addict, now recovering, I have committed to the more logical approach for my spending in my gaming hobby, as I know that I'm not going to stop spending, but as a recovering addict, must force myself to spend more wisely.

I believe this has allowed me to look upon our current cash shop more objectively and find that it has an appropriate balance, as I do want to help support the game I enjoy playing, but at the same not waste money unnecessarily on items that don't bring me any long term enjoyment.

Things I don't, and won't buy, include Value Packs, Artisans, "re-roll" coupons, 'extra' costumes, or other "time limited" items that only bring temporary benefits and are often seen similar to "subscription type spending"

Things I have bought, and will continue to buy, include items such Warehouse, Inventory, Lodging , and Wright Expansion as these provide absolute long term benefits and only require me to purchase them once.

Beyond that, having mentioned supporting the game, it is "created works" that I look forward to purchasing, *if* they tickle my fancy and appeal to my senses as a customer, such as Housing Items. While intangible, and provide me with no beneficial use other than pure decoration purposes (since "the housing item issue" is still on the backburner), I find that they are the simplistic items to say "I enjoyed your work".

While that doesn't mean I intend to fill up houses with every piece of furniture, as some of them I find "distasteful copies", (such as the varying assortment of beds and tables), others I find appealing as unique original pieces for my "collection" such as Prop Sets (Spring, Christmas, Halloween, Finto Maria, Whale Props, Jukeboxes, etc)

While on one end of ball field I have spent wisely, opting for investment into longterm permanent gains and benefits....on the other end I "occasionally" shop the various assortment of "unique works" as I would buy a movie or some electronic gadget.

In the end, I suppose what I mean to say, is that if you find yourself aggravated at your spending and "what you have to show for it" , you really only have yourself and your choices to blame, rather than the Merchant that is merely displaying his wares.

The same conclusion can be drawn in real life when making spending choices, such as "so I spend 10$ on this one meal at a fast food" ....or "spend this 10$ on Rice and canned goods at the grocery market that will last awhile and provide many meals"

But, alas, asking people to take responsibility for themselves and their decisions is a feat not achieved since archaic times.

14. Catastigma

[​IMG]

Sibyyl likes this.
  15. Prasao

Eve Online is the best way

Safka likes this.
  16. Noixi

To the OP, I here you about the frustration aspect of BDO.
    And I so agree.
    Sadly, I'm convinced the only hope is for another game to come out
    And more sadly, I can tell you, that BLESS is not ~~yet~~ another game to consider.

Blackhearted and Safka like this.
  17. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Players shouldn't post their account transaction history publicly.

If I wanted to attempt to trick scam the staff into challenging ownership of your account, for example, say having your email address changed so I could password reset and then send all your crap to market......those Transaction dates and purchase control numbers would be a great piece of data to collect.

Of course, our lovely staff here enforces photo ID verification for such things, but I have seen thousands of these type of fraud attempts.

You shouldn't put yourself into *possible* jeopardy, even if you want to stroke your epeen.

18. Safka

Yep.

The game is what it is and (for me) offers much... but it just seems to drain and fritter away the lurve by adding pointlessly frustrating, random aspects to absolutely everything, whether huge and costly or small and insignificant. The engines simply cannae tek it, Cap'n.

I hear you about Bless but EVE Online always replenishes my lust for fun PvP so it'll do me for another few months.

Blackhearted likes this.
  19. Noixi

Years ago, during my WoW days. I remember a fellow mage getting likewise frustrated, and leaving WoW to join EVE.
    Good GOD, that was like 10 years ago.
    It was at the height of the Mage tax days, during TBC.

Safka likes this.
  20. unrealaz1

You are a joke and should never be taken seriously.

Factorial, Fearless V and Asato like this.