1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploitation of Afuaru's Guild Event - Resolution

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by GM Rhotaaz, Apr 15, 2020.

1. ColdCashDivine

They
    I'm a bs spreader

#801 ColdCashDivine, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Jinoro likes this.
  2. Kerenis

Kerenis Lahn 63 EU

Except, if you delete a character, the quests done on it will be deleted and removed from the counter too.

3. ColdCashDivine

Don't tell them!

4. sneazzy95

#804 sneazzy95, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. Boink

So in your world PA agreed with you it's an "exploit" not because PA wants to make $ for people who more likely use artisans to build failstacks on.

In 55 minutes I can make more than what you listed as failstacks 50, 20x5, 3x30. That's not even including the wait timers AND leveling up the character to 55. The whole process of failstacking is not that difficult. PA/Kakao just want players to go to that process for a chance that a player might use artisans $.

6. Kymaera

Still waiting for something to happen...more punishments correcting the lack of punishment? A tet accessory to every1 who didn't do the exploit? A free Value Pack, Book of Old Moon, something?

Oh, we're legit so we get nothing but realization the game caters to fukbois.

Souda, Platinia, Phoenixxx75 and 3 others like this.
  7. Xenon

You're so full of it, dude. Making alts to rerun content repeatedly for rewards has been a thing in MMOs for years. It's nothing new. People have been doing it in BDO since Mediah came out to get black spirit crystals, or maybe even before then. It's not an exploit. The character cap exists to prevent people from overloading their databases with 100s of alts as well as means of monetizing character creation, not to prevent you from making a new alt to get an ingame item.

If they were really worried about giving people failstacks for doing the quest, they would either take them out or limit the total amount you can get from the quest via some kind of account-based lock. But they're not. Instead, they want to reincentivize cash shop dipping for artisans and introduce a timegate to the failstacks to slow progression back down again.

Honestly, you and the guy above sound like siege players who are salty that new players can gear up incredibly fast compared to how it used to be. Like, honestly. Imagine parading around in the forum, calling Kakao to action, saying people should be banned because they used an intended feature too much. Recreating alts for content rewards is basically a staple feature in mmos. There's a reason why they haven't done anything to stop it entirely.

Oh, and before either of you even remotely try to compare this to afuaru maps, it doesn't even remotely compare. Afuaru map exploitation is exploitation because:
    A. The event was originally intended for new/returning players. This creates a soft cap on how many people can participate in the event as well as basically a hard cap on how many of these items can be generated. This is a hard restriction.
    B. BDO is a b2p game, meaning you can't just freely create as many accounts as you want unless you pay for the game. The people who abused the event used another event (free game copy weekend) to circumvent paying for additional accounts and stacked up on accounts so they could bypass the restriction.
    C. They went on to generate 100s to 1000s of maps, and if Kakao didn't step in to stop it, they would have kept going with it and made way more than the 16-20 bil that was shown taken out of someone's account on stream.

Not to mention the scale of damage that this can have on the game is way more astronomical than anything the failstacks would do. The quest stacks usefulness tapers off tet gear, which isn't even softcap anymore. The mapper money is way more lucrative and will generate pens for players if left unchecked, unlike the quest stacks.

The quest failstacks exist as a catchup mechanic for all players who are behind in gear score. The devs clearly intended for you to be able to rerun the questline for multiple sets of failstacks. Meanwhile they didn't intend for you to be able to make multiple accounts and stack up on maps for free event rewards, as evidenced by them calling it out mapping as an exploit vs not for the quest stacks.

But you're right. We should let the devs handle it instead of making callout posts and trying to get actual innocent people banned, unless behavior dictates otherwise like the mapper situation.

8. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

I am not a siege player in fact I have zero interest in pvp of any kind just as I have zero tolerance for any form of cheating including exploits. I have no problem with the fail stack rewards being for every alt you create but I believe that should be limited to the number of character slots you have. It is in my view an exploit to constantly make and delete and remake alts to get more fail stacks. I have though run these quests on most of my alts and if I were still playing I would do so with the rest of them. I repeat that deleting and remaking alts just to do these quests for the rewards is in fact exploiting as it is not the original intention of the game developers for people to do this. Hence why they changed the requirements to make it less attractive to do so. They should have limited to one per slot.
    Ps, I am a relatively new player that has 199/191/250 gear score so definitely not salty about new players gearing up.

#808 Phoenixxx75, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    LilithDragonFlower likes this.
  9. Stealthe

Stealthe SteaIthe Wizard 62 NA

Blah blah blah,Just a bunch of opinions on what you want to classify as an exploit.Its the beauty of an exploit,the grey area is so big players try to fill it in with their own opinions but its just that, opinions.

10. Hondo_Lane

You know as well as anyone else that was an exploit stop being _______

Jinoro likes this.
  11. Stealthe

Stealthe SteaIthe Wizard 62 NA

Im absolutely fine with it being an exploit,doesnt bother me at all...what does is all the other crap players do that could just as easilly be called an exploit but want to try to change the meaning of an exploit to make what they do sound innocent.

The only criteria that needs to be met for something to be an exploit is for PA to later say it was not intended and they can pretty much say that about anything.

#811 Stealthe, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  12. Kymaera

Never forget!

#812 Kymaera, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Jinoro and Marzipan Stan like this.
  13. YeahRight

ExploitsButWithHP

or

KakaoButDosntSuck

this game has hope

14. LilithDragonFlower

So even with the exploit that took place I saw no real big problem with the economy, perhaps I am a dumb blind person, but it didn't really effect me in any way at all other than feeling it being unfair that they got a big loan to get pen gear and grind that silver back but that aside I don't feel like it was a big deal other than kakao should have been on top of it faster and issued roll-backs, and my personal opinion I still don't believe it violated the (Terms OF Use) directly to deserve perma bans.

The whole gray area of the people making alts and doing the repeatable quest to get +50 advice of valks is another gray area, I personally don't do this, but in the end I just really don't see a problem with it if people choose to do it, though if I had my opinion on upcoming changes kakao should do.

- Make the main quest line (Once per family)
    - Re-do the (Contribution Points System) It just serves no purpose for like 90% of the game or more.
    - Add new player events to help new players such as with the free (TRI Gear)
    - Add a mentor system that gives bound items for people to help (new players) that can't be traded
    - Add more in-game GM run events
    - Get rid of the (RMT Spammer / Power leveling service bots)
    - Add gifting back to the game for those accounts with (2FA) and (Good Standing)
    - Fix (SEA / Boat Combat) it just doesn't feel as good as it could be like (Arche Age).

15. woots

tbf, as much as i'am too lazy to do that ( delete / recreate for thoses FS quest ) considering how cancer the gear upgrade is + how absolutely cancer the FS "building" is + heavy p2w ( which far more a cheat than redoing thoses FS quest ) and all others BDO crap.
    Having such ingame way to get FS is barely a consolation.

If thoses guys nerf that in some way, they should at least provide like a weekly quest, to get the same amount of FS as the valencia quest provide.

Chaos Ronin and Hondo_Lane like this.
  16. Xenon

Yeah, and the devs named the afuaru thing as an exploit not once, but twice now. Both in Korea and here. They've banned people for doing it. Meanwhile, they haven't banned anybody for making additional alts for failstacks. Do you really want to continue arguing about this?

Like what? The SMH stuff? That took an entire guild's worth of people actively participating in it every day for hours on end to make the kind of gains that people were reporting. It was too much, so the devs nerfed it. The controller turn thing could definitely be considered an exploit, but the devs didn't find that it was harmful enough to consider going after players for.

The map event basically churned out hundreds of hours worth of work in a few hours for the guilds who exploited, while SMH still took 10s of hours per week and didn't generate anywhere as much income. If left unchecked, you would have watched many siege guilds generate possibly 50-100 billion of silver per person in a single weekend. Maybe more. What little they did manage to do generated at least 16 bil in silver for one person. They removed almost 4 trillion silver from the economy in removing what the maps gave people. How can you even compare running a questline for a set of 5 20 failstacks, 3 30s, and 1 50 failstack repeatedly to an exploit that generated over 4 trillion in silver for less effort than it takes to hit level 60?

You don't see any problem with two or three guilds generating 4 trillion silver for less effort than what it takes to get to level 60 because you're likely at no point where what siege guilds do to get ahead affect you, let alone would it even be relevant to you. Rest of my replies are in red in the quote.

Jinoro and Kerenis like this.
  17. onun

Yes, the controller thing could be considered exploit, or simply a breach of rules since it brought who used it a 3rd party advantage over other players who did not do so, which is same as cheating, exploit or not.
    The statement about the devs not finding that it was harmful enough, it's wrong. It's simply not an easy thing to reliably track. The same goes to tracking whoever looted the event items and how many, they just went based on silver gains.

18. Boink

The whole punishment is the issue. They clearly identified the players involved but instead of punishing them they give them a loan. Some players got ahead of it as well since majority of Afuaru drops are ACCESSORIES and FAILSTACKS.

No rollbacks.
    Bad 1:1 silver penalty (basically a loan for anyone who actually used it)

It was definitely a bad move. I don't really mind Know-It-All Whales but Exploiting Whales... sorry not a good show of "fair" gameplay.

19. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

Using a controller is not using a 3rd party. I used a controller to play every part of the game. I have no advantage for doing so. You could do the same camera lock with keyboard and mouse to do sea monster hunting.

20. LilithDragonFlower

I see the problem with it, but The game developers allowed it (By Mistake) and our version of the Terms OF Use, doesn't specificy like (SEA) version to include developers mistakes of taking advantage of a bug left in game to be perma ban worthy

Exactly the reason im upset about it is Kakao, not following their own "Terms OF Use", obviously there is a termination clause in there as long as they don't tell the players why their accounts were terminated then they are fine.

To me the upsetting part is still how users were banned for mistakes made by developers, which isn't something the (EU) version of BDO covers under the Terms OF Use, However the (SEA) version does include mistakes done by developers.

Rules are Rules, thus they should be followed with roll-backs and stuff, even a month later i've not forgotten about this, and this is coming from a player who took no part in the exploit other than argue that the devs made a huge mistake, and players should not have been perma banned unless they clearly showed in-game knowledge they knew for sure kakao said it was an exploit prior to doing it, but instead the GM's should have played along issued a scripted, even a server-wide roll-back and disabled the item immediately.

Just proof that my "Central Market" never went negative lol...

Hope those exploiters have repaid their debts.

[​IMG]