1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploitation of Afuaru's Guild Event - Resolution

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by GM Rhotaaz, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Thatos

The sad truth is I know some people who knowingly and actively exploited this and all you have done is reinforce their belief that Kakao will not actually punish cheating. This is in reality even better than the result they wanted/expected. Truly disappointing.

2. Jamiehas

They removing money from marketplace.
    You can repair gear with money from inventory/storage.
    So yeah, no issues to repair ur gear

3. Fastflow

you seriously complaining about repairing gear? is that a punishment u have to kill 10 grass beetles to repair?

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  4. Vannie

To everyone here who is crying about "just 23? But streamer xyz took part in it and there is a list of people who did as well"
    -please send those names with evidence to the support and they will eventually do something about them

I personally think permanently banning the organizators of the exploit and removing silver is a good choice, but an additional timed ban (max 1-2 weeks) for everyone who participated would be needed because with only the silver penalty most of the exploiters will feel as it was "still worth it" and won't fear to exploit again. Also, they sure made more silver out of it than just what the accessories were worth so if they had enough on the bank to not be in debt, losing a week of potential silver making would be more of a punishment than just reducing what they have illegally obtained.

Permanently banning EVERYONE in those guilds would be way too harsh, as there sure was people who did nothing more than coming to the guild scrolls when their guildmaster told them. I don't see any need in exposing the perma banned people's names because if they ever choose to get back to a game where their account they've put in hundreds of hours of work (and probably money) has been banned they pretty sure won't use the same name. Nonetheless, a list of which guilds took part in the exploit would be very interesting.
    Anyways, thank you for investigating the exploit and giving some sort of punishment to the people who did :)

Mana_Mafia, Fateneko and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  5. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

Impressive... You mention all the important informations, and you deduce something terribly naive from them.

"23 accounts" is a low number, true. If they were alt accounts, made for example to abuse maps, this number should be far higher than that.

They took much time for this result. If they were simply removing alt accounts, would they have spent so much time for this? No.
    And they clearly said these 23 are the organizers of exploiting events. Don't you think that, if they really spent so much time for 23 players, they didn't target the main account?

Then, most are complaining about the silver balance reduction, saying that things were not calculated, but... Sources? This is what have been published :
    "In addition, we determined thresholds beyond the highest amount of maps that anyone managed to obtain without resorting to exploits. Any player that looted more than that will receive a silver balance reduction equal to the silver value of the items received."
    Equal to the silver value of the items received. From that, how can one decide that FS have not been included?

6. LilithDragonFlower

Well if they are negative, how many "grass beetle" do they have to kill to remove a negative 1 billion silver so they can repair, possibly more?

7. Dannyswe1235

Dannyswe1235 Kunoichi 62 EU

none of the 23 accounts was alts account acording to gm

8. CompZilla

This is a good plan - reward those he didn't cheat.

As I foresaw this investigation was a large task

BUT the problem with JUST deducting silver gained from exploit is it's sends a MESSAGE that it's worth the RISK to exploit (albeit on a lower level) as you have NOTHING to lose

Even taking into account some of the lines crossed were vague

Mana_Mafia, Winterklinge and Jamiehas like this.
  9. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

What negative billions? They are only removing the so called silver they got from cheating. Anything else they already had is still there.

10. Bobhigs

Wait... that's it? It's like the exploiters robbed a bank, investing it all, then the police put them in debt w/o jail time, and they make their money back w/ said investments.

Mana_Mafia and u/chi like this.
  11. Winterklinge

Well when they grind the money goes into their inventory and not into the storage/market to pay the debt. So they can use that to repair their gear and buy stuff they need to make money.
    Also....when you exploit then everything that follows is your own damn fault. Kr did use this punishment and so it doesn't make any sense to make a different decision for the same situation. If we compare those two then the new exploiters did even worse cause they could have knowledge of the kr incident.

12. Flysen aka Fly

Fair punishment at least partly, 23 people banned... But only giving back the earnings is no punishment at all for all others who exploited. Great message for all players, you can exploit and all that happens is that you have to give back your earnings?? This will create more exploiters in the future, honestly i am really dissapointed….

Mana_Mafia, Fastflow and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  13. Fastflow

you do realize that they didnt loose anything... so for example lets say i clicked my self full pen thru the stäcks and accessories from the event and they deduct the silver gained... i/e 70 mil tungrad ear etc... so basically bdo just payed my full pen gear so what if i have a little negative balance counted from base accos for the worth while my actual gains were far bigger

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  14. SilverWolf

Finally someone who responded to people asking about alt accounts, Thank you for clarifying

Bobhigs likes this.
  15. LilithDragonFlower

God forgive me for saying this but...

23 Accounts seems pretty low to me too, but this depends on how they detected it?

For example an exploiter could have,

- Went to a store, purchased a computer, took it home so they got a new hardware ID.

- Purchase a seperate ISP / Gateway for a different IP address, or use a VPN.

- Registered many trial accounts so nothing matches their original computer or account.

- Power leveled them using two different hardware ID's / ISPs

Thus if anyone gets banned the main account would never get detected or banned in the first place, only the alternate accounts created using entirely different information.

- Also a person could simply return the PC back to the store, say it wasn't working, after deleting the partition or something aka return fraud, but if ur gonna cheat in an online game, they likey would do that too right?

u/chi likes this.
  16. Vihess

This seriously
    Next players should take advantage of exploits because they will have an intense fun and fame until their actions are just nullified.
    (Aside from the treasury/liquidity/cash-flow problem)

u/chi, Phoenixxx75 and Fastflow like this.
  17. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

They targeted organisers. Do you think they would target freshly created accounts?

18. Rizzixe

I would definitely like to see as many people punished as possible but you have to be realistic here and people are clearly not. Those who organised the exploiting were punished severely but it's extremely difficult to identify who took part knowingly, who didn't and whether their gains were severe enough or not etc.

It would be far too difficult to establish who did it knowingly and who was just there because a guild mate asked him to come and made some profit. Dealing with tickets from people who were mistakenly banned would also be a nightmare.

Still, if you think you have proof of someone knowingly exploiting this, just send them a ticket with all the proof and I'm sure they will look into it.

Fateneko and CompZilla like this.
  19. Argiel

Lets look at it:

"... will receive a silver balance reduction equal to the silver value of the items received..."

And that is all.

This only means:
    Well your gains got deducted no further punishment for exploiting. Where is the actual punishment i am asking? Why don't those account get at least a temporary ban when you already decided that they greatly went over a threshhold you set up yourself and now this is considered participating in an exploit?

If that is all, well i will participate in every upcoming exploit. Thanks very much to let me know i can do.

Feels deeply unsatisfying.

Mana_Mafia and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  20. SilverWolf