1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback for new Skill window

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by SkullMonkey, Jul 8, 2020.

1. SkullMonkey

Honestly there are a lot of problems with this new skill screen. While I like the larger preview window for the skill animations it's simply not so important that it needs to take up half the screen.

The biggest issue I see is how the skills are laid out on the other half of the screen. It's very hard to tell what level of the skill a skill is on or if a skill is available or not. It's very confusing especially for those with accessibility issues. The old layout was a very clear "family tree" style chart and you could glance at it and know exactly what progression level any of your skills are at and which skills you have left to invest in. The new layout on the other hand relys on little golden dots which you have to squint to see what level a skill is at. It's actually quite bad because certain skills with long names such as "Wheel of Fortune" and "Kamasylvia Slash" are cut off by the short width skill box. I have to actually count the dots in order to find out what level certain skills are at to see if they qualify for Rebam skills for instance.

Its also harder to read which skills have black spirit rage enhancers as all the fancy gold trip drowns out the BS red icon a bit. Really the only aspect I like about the new skills layout are the "main", "Secondary" and "passive" collapse-able panels. I like that but the layout of the actual skills is just not well thought out at all.

Dragging skills down to your skill bar is also very annoying now particularly if you have a very large screen or play with multiple monitors.

Another really bad UI Design choice is forcing us to actually click the arrows next to the skill in order to see the stats and cost of the next level of the skill. For instance if I want to find out what the cost is for Level 2 of "spirit hunt" I have to actually click the little arrows on the skill to see the information for the next level of the skill then roll over the tab to see it. In the old UI design you simply rolled over the thumnail for the skill and could find out in nearly an instant what was needed. See how the old system was far more efficient? The new layout actively requires the user to CLICK MORE which is the opposite of good UI/UX design.

Honestly this is just very bad UI/UX design and for the most part a huge step backwards. Do you guys have a qualified UI designer or art director there doing any Q/A at all on your work? They should have caught all of those issues. I mean the cutoff skill names don't even have rollover tooltips. Its an Accessibility nightmare.

Please bring back the old visual skill tree instead of this condensed, cut off and confusing layout or give us the option to use the old skill tree window UI much like you did with the esc menu UI.

The rest of the features of the new layout, I like but the actual skill tree display is just very poorly designed and makes skills harder to read.

#1 SkullMonkey, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Jena, Ainzell, enterthesalt and 12 others like this.
  2. TwilightAngel

They most likely will not bring back the old skill tree UI

3. SkullMonkey

In the post for the patch notes they actually said something to the effect of "We know this is a really big change so we would like your feedback" I'm giving said feedback. It's a little too early to be defeatist.

4. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

I feel a bit the same. I like how it looks on the surface, and the larger skill animation window. The pips for skill level are too small. I think they would have done better with having a cascade interface, where the top level is shown as it currently is now, but when you hover over a skill, the tree for that skill is fully displayed, instead of the new arrows to scroll back and forwards.

The skill descriptions seem fine, but for the love of god, stop putting information in red text against a dark background. It's almost illegible. Use a bright orange or something

Jinoro likes this.
  5. Kelt Rand

I’m at work and can’t see the UI. Silly question but I’ll ask. I assume you can’t “toggle” between Succession & Awakening like a simple weapon swap (1 key)?

6. SkullMonkey

LOL no actually you fire off whatever skill you have bound to a quickslot keybind. I tried hitting my number keys and it fired off my rebams in the skill window the same as it would if I was in the open world lol.

7. Kelt Rand

Thanks

8. SkullMonkey

Yeah there are a lot of accessibility issues in this new layout particularly for color blind folks. Sadly you would have to remove all of the gold trim everywhere else if you wanted to use a bright orange tho. Too much of the interface is already a gold/orange so it would look confusing in this new layout's color pallet.

9. Ateena

Need to buy more pearls. They clearly don't have money to hire UI/UX designer with a functioning brain. Everything has to take enormous screen space...or the entire screen because why not. But who cares about PC UI.
    Can fit few of these on my screen, able to use chat, copy/paste builds, share them with others.

[​IMG]

10. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

The orange used in the Bell description is probably different enough to the other shades of orange/gold used in skill descriptions, but yes, they need a better overall colour pallet when it comes to text descriptors. The purple on dark grey background isn't brilliant either. It's like they never learned about the importance of contrast in design when it comes to fonts

Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.09 - 01.23.54.20 (2).png Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.09 - 01.28.11.52 (2).png

11. Jinoro

Jinoro Shai 61 EU

The new window is so horrid.... those stupid miniarrows for preview the different levels of the skill... if u fail to click them, u instabuy the next lvl of a skill that maybe u dont want. If u want to see the skill animation... well... gl, because if u do a click u will buy the next lvl of that skill too.

12. Souda

Souda Warrior 61 EU

I knew people were gonna dislike the ui changes why change it when we got used to the old one for 4 years

ElfieJo and TucoRamires like this.
  13. SkullMonkey

It's more than that. It's also very bad UI/UX design. They actually made it HARDER to manage/get information on your skills so you can watch pretty skill animations. Just put the damn animations in a larger popup window for crying out loud. There are a couple of other interesting UI elements I like but I'd rather they added them to the old UI not this hot garbage.

Ionmhasach, Tekkons, Kachu and 4 others like this.
  14. SkullMonkey

The key here is you have to adjust the layout to accomodate it. It's not just about the color of the orange. The color of that orange just won't stand out when there is tons of gold/orange in the layout already. whatever color is used needs to not be used much in the surrounding layout or design which on the skill screen they are. The orange would certainly stand out to a degree but not quite enough IMO. The old layout's color pallet was just much better to help those things stand out more.

ElfieJo and Jinoro like this.
  15. woots

as it have been said, its not because its "new" and despite interesting things ( reorganization, all rank packed, preset, little CC / protection icon are nice )
    - its SO HUGE,
    - forced to take at least all side of your screen,
    - cant resize,
    - there is a LOT of space totaly waste, still hours of scrolling...
    - you cant even see the skill CD quickslot,
    - the succession skill blend with the classic main hand, while imho it shouldnt
    - skill rank indicated with tiinnny little dot is meh, arrow key or the little arow to nagivate between them arent intuitive at all
    - still using that sh#tty skill cd windows with drop down menu when there is a very handy drag & drop !?
    - Even if you hide the skill preview to see in game, the drag & drop to the quick slot still display the "skill window

I never liked that much the initial skill window as you had SO MUCH scrolling for nothing, so for somes things i still prefer that one, but it would still need a lot of work....

#16 woots, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Keldorn, Tekkons and Jinoro like this.
  16. Aka71r3n

Im mostly with you, but:
    -succession skills are easily distinguishable, as they are all named after the same shema. In the german client im playin at, they all are named "Exklusiv:<Skillname>", so i can easily make em out (and since they are stronger versions of the main skills, they should blend in)
    -if you click the button on the upper right in the skillwindow, you can easily drag and drop your skills (for me it doesnt show the skill windows for drag and drop if i hide it)

17. woots

yeah they have the "name" but with a quick look they arent different from all others, as it orginaly was a separate skill tree, they should have a particular frame color or something to be remarkable compare to the absolute.
    putting them with the main hand skills is fine, i dont mind.

drag & drop isnt the issue, but
    1- it doesnt display the skill slot according to your personal organization, which certainly will be a huge annoyance for players having somes very particular quick slot organization.

2- if you hide the skill preview to see "in game" when you drag & drop, the skill windows will display the "skill windows quick slot" instead of only the one in game, which kinda make sense as the skill windowss hide a big part of the screen. Its just very messy.
    And about the drag & drop i also speak about the "reload quick slot" not just the ones you can use via keybind, we still are plagued with that [censored] reload skill windows & use their drop down menu to choose a quick slot number -_-"

#18 woots, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Tekkons and Jinoro like this.
  18. FairlyEnjoyable

FairlyEnjoyable Lahn 62 NA

Honestly terrible. I have been dreading this since I heard about it, and seeing it in-game is even worse. I sincerely wish we could at least get a toggle between new and old skill window UI, but I highly doubt that will be a thing. That would be too much of a good thing.

It seems like they're just trying to make PC UI console friendly so they can save money when they have to work on any future UI endeavors.

Tekkons and Jinoro like this.
  19. Kachu

I'm not sure they even really want feedback. We keep saying this is huge, ugly and doesn't work well for PC. We've asked for the ability to resize windows or other actually helpful UI elements and that's all been ignored. They're determined to plow ahead with the worst UI I've ever encountered on a PC game- ugly color scheme, adding 10 clicks when 1 would do, no resizing, gigantic, pulsating, aggravating and largely lacking QOL changes. In fact each new UI "improvement" only increases the need for qol changes. Whoever PA has heading up this UI team, people are afraid to tell him no.

Life2v, woots, MoonDance17 and 3 others like this.