1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Fishing] Ghost Whale - EU Region First - details and location

Discussion in 'Life Skills' started by Moonraker, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Moonraker

Updates
    • 31 October 2019 - Revised guide due to changes with the Great Ocean content, notably all the sea monsters previously referenced are now moved.
    • 08 September 2019 - Added video showing the stage from reaching the Juur Sea to the Margoria N Ghost Whale spot to the instructions.
    Images

Item window, tooltip shows the vendor price (top three harpoon prize fish can not be traded but sold)
    upload_2019-9-8_3-31-1.png

Like all prize fish I have caught, the knowledge is learnt on first catch each time
    upload_2019-9-8_3-31-37.png

Fish Guide > Other > p. 3/9 - EU region first catch
    upload_2019-9-8_3-31-54.png

Details

Well, been a hard search for this one, being with research from KR last October 2018, as it seems it is not sea-wide catch like most prize fish but seems it is restricted to a small part of Margoria North sea.

Took me personally 6-7 hours before it dropped but @g_ from the MaoMao Prince Fishing Discord who I worked with to find the location, got it within 20 odd fish, such is BDO harpooning.

One thing to consider, the Ghost Whale has a fixed value of 100M and along with the other two highest value prize fish species, the Requiem Shark (75M) and Giant Black Squid (50M), it was changed at the beginning of this year from a tradable fish like most, to a fixed price vendor item which can't be traded distance or otherwise except for the fixed value (like Koi etc.).

They basically tripled the value and doubled the drop rate (according to their patch notes at the time) to make up for the lost potential trading buffs, when making this change so it should be around the same value when being caught overtime.

For the record I had Fishing mastery 711 providing Harpoon +2 Level. @g_ only had +1 Level so the Ghost Whale is not gated in any way by Harpoon level, just the chance to drop rising per level. The exact percentages are not given in the patch notes so hard to even guess at this stage what they are.

The confusing part with Margoria North sea area is that we discovered that perhaps at mastery launch this week or perhaps back to a change by the developers in KR, that the original harpoon table seems to have been mostly swapped for the Margoria South one which is:

Harpoon
    Bigeye Tuna
    Humpback Whale
    Marlin
    Yellow Swordfish
    Cuttlefish

rarely Giant Squid (caught in all Margoria ocean seas)

The original Margoria N harpoon table, which I confirmed back when they stealth changed all fish tables in the game last October 2018, appears not to be restricted to a small area of the sea. There was no patch notes in KR but players found it out on the forums there and helped give some clue where to try on launch.

The Margoria N harpoon table you need to find is:

Harpoon
    Albacore
    Hammer Whale
    Black Marlin
    Sailfish
    Cuttlefish

rarely Giant Squid (caught in all Margoria ocean seas)

Ghost Whale spot details

The spot where you will find the right table is the player location on this map. Port Ratt is to the N - NE of the yellow circle, just sail due SS out towards Zagam Island.

upload_2019-9-8_4-2-13.png

Basic instructions from Port Ratt are:

Before departing I strongly recommend obtaining a compass to help orientate yourself once in Margoria as it is easy to lose your bearing.
    1. Sail fishing boat out due S from Port Ratt towards Zagam Island (Zowoom is the NPC there).
    2. Once there align your boat from the S most part of Zagam Island group marked in the yellow circle and aim due S.
    3. Follow the route across the Vadabin Sea and then soon into Juur Sea and all safe until you reach Margoria N proper.
    4. Aim for the player marker on the map and use the red lines to give yourself some bearings and idea of distances.
    5. You will know you are close to the right spot when you see debris but since the Great Ocean update, the Candium that was there for a marker is gone So just watch the video for timing and just keep checking the harpoon table to confirm when you are in the correct area. If not move a bit and retry.
    Here is a video showing the actual journey from Zagam Island yellow circle > GW spot which may help posted by @g_. it shows the part from where you arrive at the Juurs Sea border going S to the spot;

Video - Juur to North Margoria

Like trying to find anywhere in Margoria it is not easy but really, once you get out there is is mainly gauging distance and checking the harpoon table once in the general area. If it is not right recheck map and travel around in the area should find the sea monster and other markers. Just remember that debris floats around so not static.

Finally, as I mentioned only having mastery for Harpoon Level 1 is fine to catch the Ghost Whale. These are the requirements for each harpoon level of fishing mastery. Just hit the stages is all that is required. more wont help for this unless reaching the next stage. +3 not possible I think yet until better gear arrives.

upload_2019-9-8_4-27-25.png

As with everything BDO the RNG can be fickle and like for us could take half an hour or between 6-7 hours, or anything in-between or beyond. Fishing mastery is new and our levels low so keep expectations realistic.

Good luck!

Further prize fish information

I posted a separate [Fishing] Fishing Mastery - Prize Fish - Guide & Locations for all prize fish species, both fishing and harpoon with lists, some details and locations which have been identified and also confirmed through testing before launch and now since with player reports.

For checking fish tables generally then there are two other guides to help with this can help to confirm correct location in Margoria and what to expect from fishing a specific location:

[Fishing] BDO - Seawater Fishing Guide

[Fishing] BDO - Freshwater Fishing Guide

Thanks as usual to the great community on the MaoMao Prince Fishing Discord especially @g_ for the help on this.

Moonraker (EU)

Attached Files:

#1 Moonraker, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Maginha, Robf, Wodur and 19 others like this.
  2. Djent

Thanks for the info, just got one after ~1h

Attached Files:

Wodur and Moonraker like this.
  3. Moonraker

Nice going. Glad the guide helped.

As a general note, for reports,it would be really helpful to try and understand drop rates etc. if reports can, if possible, include some idea of how many catch required to catch prize fish like Ghost Whale and also a note of the players Fishing mastery/ Harpoon level.

Thanks for the report and GL.

Einar and Wodur like this.
  4. Gee D

Do I need a Harpoon or can I just use my fishing rod to fish the Ghost Whale?

5. Djent

No idea about catches sorry.
    Fishing mastery 747 (Harpooning +2)

Moonraker likes this.
  6. Moonraker

Harpoon. When it says on a table of fish species Harpoon, then those are the species caught with that method.

It's on the tooltip also for ref.

upload_2019-9-8_17-18-58.png

Attached Files:

Gee D likes this.
  7. Gee D

K, thanks.

8. Djent

[​IMG]

Okay 2nd one in ~3h ish

Catches including the catches on the first one:
    - Giant Squid x3
    - Albacore x10
    - Hammer whale x4
    - Black Marlin x24
    - Sailfish x13
    - Cuttlefish ~65-80, not 100% sure about the quantity becase I threw some away

EDIT: Again, mastery 747

Icywave, Einar, Wodur and 1 other person like this.
  9. Moonraker

Great, that's really useful to work on drop rates etc. Thanks.

Djent likes this.
  10. Einar

"The confusing part with Margoria North sea area is that we discovered that perhaps at mastery launch this week or perhaps back to a change by the developers in KR, that the original harpoon table seems to have been mostly swapped for the Margoria South one which is:"

It has been like this for at least 7 months. Me and a friend went marg harpooning for the nada island "daily". Started from marg south all the way up to Juur sea & the fish loot table were the same all the way up. Sent a ticket about it, but hasn't been fixed.

On another note. Tested out the marg N area today with 3 friends, but sadly no orange fishes for us. Maybe next time :3 Good guide btw!

Edit:
    Fishing data from me
    Albacore x24
    Hammer Whale x10
    Black Marlin x30
    Sailfish x30
    Cuttlefish unknown (252 dried)

Neither Giant Squid or Ghost Whale...in tiny bit over 200 harpoons (712 mastery)

#10 Einar, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  11. Kral2

I got what I believe was the NA third ghost whale yesterday and probably have the lowest stats of anyone fishing it. Artisan 7 fishing and 360 fishing mastery (seafood cron and a fishing chair). +1 harpooning and 0.9% prize catch. Got it in about an hour but I continued to fish for a full 4:48 and didn't get another. Got a black spotted dolphin, though (likely at a lower mastery as the fishing chair would have expired by that point). I didn't track the rate of the other fish.

EDIT: Also two giant squid.

#11 Kral2, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  12. shidoxen

Thanx for the heads up. Landed one in like an hour. Landed a squid on the way testing for the spots. XD

908 mastery

13. SovereignBeast

So i'm out in Margoria (N) sea and i also have found the correct harpoon drop table but i caught a black spotted dolphin. I'm not exactly where the photos/video has shown because i keep missing it or something. I'm just wondering is it possible to also catch the ghost whale in the same spot as a black spotted dolphin?

14. henzo31

Is this fish affected by desert trade buff or not ?

15. Moonraker

Thanks for confirming the change before launch here.

I kind of guessed it changed here when they changed KR in December 2018 after I checked all tables but had not played since that checking.

16. Traxxle

Looking at some of the results here and in the other thread, harpoon mastery might also be boosting the drop rate of yellow fish. The pre-mastery drop rate for these has been 11.5-12.5% (combined) since launch (Data posted in other thread). Rare yellows (Giant Squid and Sperm Whale) dropped at 0.4-0.5%. For the moment I'm fishing at +1 Harpoon mastery until I decide which lifeskill gear is worth enhancing. (For the record, no prize fishes yet from 6 harpoons in Ross Sea and Margoria South and below average yellows).

I don't buy the idea that there are 'lucky' spots for harpooning. I've had lucky streaks in places but they never last.

#16 Traxxle, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  17. Moonraker

Interesting observation. It reflects, if only from a relatively small dataset, from my first GW session I sent you.

Total catch for Ghost Whale

Albacore 35 9.07%
    Hammer Whale 31 08.03%
    Black Marlin 45 11.66%
    Sailfish 46 11.92%
    Cuttlefish 221 57.25%
    Giant Squid 06 1.55%

Black Spotted Dolphin 01 0.26%
    Ghost Whale 01 0.26%
    Giant Black Squid -

Total = 386 harpoon catch

Total time based on 55s/catch = 5.9 hours excluding travel time etc.​

Compare this to the data tables we know from leak to compare. The fishing tables all changed since but harpoon ones appeared the same or similar for species and %.

Data tables Harpoon Guru01 (not exact but double original to give %)

Albacore 07%
    Hammer Whale 07%
    Black Marlin 16.6%
    Sailfish 16.6%
    Cuttlefish 56%
    Giant Squid 0.56%​

The yellow grade species are up around 1.5% and blue notably down by around 5%. Green remain much the same.

This is typical when the developer adjusts table percentages to allow for say an new group in the table which could be the prize fish one i.e. it adds more catch items therefore the remaining table needs to be adjusted to accommodate this new portion of total table %.

So it may just be some tweaking to allow for the pf group, rather than say, a direct effect of mastery.

Numbers are not big enough to give anything certain but perhaps indicate a trend.

Once we have more data then we can recheck and see it the trend continues across tables, or perhaps it might vary depending if they use the same pf % in all tables.

We have confirmation of what the new Harpoon level +1, +2 & +3 percentage chance increase are as they are different from the fishing mastery which is stated in the notes, though not the breakdown of the pf and relic (and potentially filler species) percentage.

It could also be they tweaked the table generally or consolidated the two different harpoon tables in each sea into one when they did the fishing table consolidation.

Einar likes this.
  18. Traxxle

I'll continue to record my own harpoon fishing certainly. I don't fully trust the datamines - I prefer to look at what actually happens in-game. From some of the results posted so far in this and other threads of 20%+ combined yellows drop, this kind of result was very rare pre-Mastery. We'll have to see if these very high drop rates are a fluke or the new reality. Also need to see if other sea areas can give the same high drop rates.

Two different harpoon tables in each sea? I've never been able to spot them from results.

19. Moonraker

Same table just used for two Fishing skill levels; Prof5 (minimum to harpoon then Guru1 with a slightly improved catch. No idea if they still do have the two now or not.

20. tdmxerox

Since you asked for stats...

Hammer Whale 9
    Albacore 20
    Black Marlin 17
    Sailfish 35
    Cuttlefish 152

artisan 4, 5 to 6 (at least i got some xp)
    fishing clothes +2
    418+ mastery using the Crio chair & Cron sea food (+25)
    I've used 4 blue harpoons (no idea bout the time spent)
    South America Server BTW

Moonraker likes this.