1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[FLAME THREAD WARNING} Who gets grind spot?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by levinano, Oct 25, 2018.

?

Who should get the grind spot?

1. First come first serve

68 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Might makes right

86 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. First come first serve, but with negotiations

35 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Other - please comment below your thoughts

36 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. levinano

Curious on the community's opinion as a whole, not individual flaming. Skip this thread if you don't want to have a civil debate or are incapable of handling discussion on controversial topics

It's an age old question and a core element of this game, it's a flamebait topic, it's been brought up countless times but never settled... But it's also far from being irrelevant...

So, who [do you think should] gets the grind spot O_o?

Might makes right
    [If you think whoever is a stronger PvPer should get the spot, who grinds the fastest should get the spot]
    PROS:
    - You geared up, practiced in BA, what for? Exactly for this moment.

CONS:
    - Grind spots are always taken by higher geared/vet skilled player, not new player friendly [(new players are going to be less experience with PvP and less geared to grind at vet speed, so then, where do they go?)]
    - Vets going to low level spots and griefing players yelling "spot taken."

First come first serve
    [If you think you have the right to the spot as long as you were there first, even if that means karma bombing a PKer who tried to Might Makes Right your spot]
    PROS
    - No problem with seniority, new players can grind with peace, unless they run into a d1ck.
    CONS
    - Too care bear, makes open world PvP, gearing, and learning your class meaningless.
    - 15 minute channel hop, hop to another channel that has all spots taken by first come first servers, well too bad, no grinding for you.

This thread is just to kind of identify what the universal unspoken rules are for grind spots (or at least what the majority of the people think they should be), and what makes you a bad person for doing certain things.

[Here's something to think about: for a lot of people, their game lives precede over their real lives. They buy more clothes for their characters than they do themselves in real life. They value in-game "fun" more than their own hard earned money (P2Wers).
    I think that In MMOs, griefing (either Karma bombing or PK griefing) other players isn't that much different from harassing/bullying people in real life.

With that in mind, I'm asking about what you should do as a human being, not what you could do while using "game mechanics," or "it's just a game" as an excuse to justify actions.]

Personal opinion (on what's being a bad person):
    1. Going into someone's rotation, flag or prompt their flag without negotiating, fight, lose, then proceed to rage karma bomb till they leave.

2. Saying "spot taken" and killing anyone who comes nearby on sight.

[If you swapped channels and still couldn't find a spot, I don't think PKing someone off a spot is wrong, especially if you have limited playtime. At the same time, I think it kind of sucks but abusing the karma system and karma bombing vets as a new player when there's no other spots available isn't wrong either, how else are you supposed to fight them? Or accept getting stomped on for a year or so before you grind bad spots to get to their level?

So where would you draw your line?]

For me, if they're willing to talk and/or ask for a duel, I'm more than willing to give up my spot. If it's duel, if I win, I keep the spot, if i lose, I give it up, if I win because I over geared them by a lot, I give them the spot because I feel bad for not even giving them a chance (not fair like luck-based rock paper scissors, not fair like two similar geared people duking it out with their own skills being the only variable).

The one thing that annoys me the most are people who come into my rotation, they don't say anything or reply to any prompts at conversation like freakin cavemen, prompt you to kill them, then keep coming back to karma bomb you. When you stop killing them, they just relish in sacrificing their own grind speed to make you suffer the same...

My stance: first come first serve, with negotiations. Freakin talk to me, it's an MMORPG yeh dingis!

NOTE:
    -I'm talking about every channel besides Arsha. The common courtesy/universal language in Arsha is just to flag every time you see a white dot for more than 3 seconds >.>
    - I didn't put this into the PvP forum because I thought this concerns PvE, and just general gameplay, not just the PvP community.

Let the debate begin!

EDITS in "[]"

#1 levinano, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Fateneko and Thelemna like this.
  2. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Can't outgrind - get lost, there is no other ways to protect "your" spot.

Mr Deap and Sandpit_ like this.
  3. Kelt Rand

Rock, paper, scissors...

4. Andaro

Ambassador

Beer pong

Alrunia likes this.
  5. Murderingspork

What I do? Ignore them till they go away. I'm doing the rotation just fine and if you think otherwise then flag up and kill me. I'll still ignore you and revive and keep grinding in the spot until YOU leave. I've got all day, I'm more than happy to spend that day pissing you off.

6. LoganSilver

LoganSilver LoganSilver Witch 62 NA

Who gets the grind spot and what I believe are two very different things. I don’t karma bomb. My guild does not allow members to karma bomb. With that said, play however you like.

In the past, I had a negative karma berserker at pirates. If someone karma bombed me or if a striker (pre-mystic) took my spot, I’d switch to my berserker and take the spot back.

Now, I use the tag system. I have a 61 mystic that I have no problem taking negative. Karma bomb my witch? I put down the tent at a safe place, move gear using tent to mystic (tagged character can access tent for those who don’t know it), switch gear to mystic, and kill the karma bomber. And dying red on my mystic means little as experience pre-62 is a joke.

Practically speaking, I rarely have to do this anymore as I mainly grind aakman and I usually don’t have such issues. But I occasionally do have to go red. My philosophy with grind spots has always been simple. I won’t karma bomb you. I won’t get upset if you karma bomb me. If I want the spot, I will bring out a red alt or go red myself. If I don’t want to go red, I will dec. If I can’t dec and won’t go red, I will outgrind. If I won’t go red, can’t dec, and can’t outgrjnd, I will leave.

The whole karma bombing thing is overplayed. Yes, I think the game needs more consequences for just dying multiple times in pvp. But the game is how it is. So I play around it. Arsha, negative karma alts, guild decs, outgrinding, or just channel swapping, are all options.

I have had people pop 10-15+ tears. I just consider it them wasting money or event tears. Don’t go red when you aren’t ready for it. I have never taken my witch main red (have gone wicked). I have taken my mystic and berserker red. Why? Losing experience on my witch hurts. I don’t go red in places with hard hitting mobs. Why? Dying red and degrading gear hurts. I have backup gloves without JiN vipers and use resist gems elsewhere when red. Why? Losing JIN vipers will hurt. I am a lot more willing to go red in the desert? Why? Jail isn’t as bad as potential losses when red outside the desert, but I do go red on alts outside the desert with proper planning.

I don’t usually take grind spots by force (I do occasionally). I do defend my spot. I do go red to defend my spot when I feel like it (sometimes just swapping is simpler). But I won’t go whining about X player karma bombing me or Y player forcefully taking my spot. Both are perfectly acceptable ways of playing.

Edit: And yes talk to people first. I never kill someone without first talking. Most people are nice enough. But sometimes people invade your spot, clear mobs, and refuse to respond. That is usually when I kill them. I usually don’t take spots by force. But if I ask for a duel because I have channel swapped three times and can’t find a spot, and you say no, I will probably leave you be. But if you insult me or ignore me, I just may decide to bring out a red alt. But that is me. And I don’t expect others to do as I do. Play as you wish within the rules of the game and your guild.

#6 LoganSilver, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. Joungf

Play a round Chess - who wins gets the spot.

8. Factorial

First come, first served is my rule. Even if am stronger I don't go on someone's camp and ruin their fun. This is implicit. It's the civilized thing to do.

If I am there first, and you jump me, do so at your risk because I will remove my armor until you go red then do my best to ruin your day. If mommy and daddy failed to teach you manners, I will do my best. It's the civilized thing to do.

stonedboss, Jeanina, nefarie and 9 others like this.
  9. ChapelPerilous

Consult a witch and have her throw the bones...

10. Wildcard

The one who don't give a f... and just stays

nefarie likes this.
  11. Alrunia

No one. This is Black Desert, stop grinding and go lifeskill like a normal person

Jeanina and Zytlis like this.
  12. The_Lord

this is an open world pvp game, there is a reason we have the ability to flag and send war decs, 90% of guild wars are caused because of grind spots conflicts and the main reason we have the ability to flag up is to defend and fight over grind spots. To me the unwritten rule is you go to a spot no one is there you claim the rotation, some people see that a spot is taken and just leave, but that doesn't mean your a nice person for doing so and your a bad person for contesting the spot, that's such a stupid thing to say. I play this game because i love the combat and pvp , and i mostly grind, open world pvp is best pvp for me. If i go to a spot and someone is there i will ask them to duel for the spot, because i want to atleast give them a chance to defend their spot, but if you ignore me and keep grinding or say no , i will take the spot either start outgrinding you until you leave or kill you.

In my situation , i grind at gahaz , it's one of the most popular and contested spot in the game you should expect to have your spot contested if you go there and if you don't have the gear to defend your spot that's your problem. My class isn't one of the top tier pve class and i don't have a tet kutum so no im not gonna grind at hystria/aakman/manshaums , etc. And to me gahaz is the best spot after those so if you start karma bombing or griefing just because you think i shouldn't be there because i kill you and you think im too geared for this spot that's your problem not mine... Pvp is part of the game like it or not it's your job to deal with it, some people are way too sensitive and take things too seriously, it's just a game .... (pvp game btw)

AZzalor and NoisyBoy like this.
  13. Whito

Whito Whito_190812080241901 Mystic 60 EU

The normal thing is that the place is already being used, not to bother whoever is using it.

This is called education.

You can negotiate, if for example you are conducting a guild mission and you can ask them to change channels.

Everything else, are criminal behaviors by children who are frustrated in real life where they are beaten, or by people who idolize street criminals who sell drugs ... and have a low coefficient.

Whoever wants real PvP asks for a duel in the arena, RBF, Node war, siege, war ... etc.

But we will not discover anything new in the videogame world where the people covered in the real physical harm behind a screen pay their personal frustrations in a video game where they can really have some drop of courage.

Jeanina, nefarie, Skulldemon and 5 others like this.
  14. Cahir

Cahir Sorceress 63 EU

Person who clear fast to use all mobs spot and in same moment is not outclearing his loot (dont leave to much loot behind)

+ with this parameter person is clearly or right spot in right level and gearscore

- most ppl are half brain dead so they exploit low level spot even when they have two times better gear score than is needed ionly for dirty pleasure one hit other players and shout griefer all around

Exception - Guild mission

15. The_Lord

do you even read what you say ? '' Everything else, are criminal behaviors by children who are frustrated in real life where they are beaten, or by people who idolize street criminals who sell drugs ... and have a low coefficient. '' that's the stupidest thing i have ever read in my entire life. Way to jump to conclusion and completely over react, what is wrong with you ? It's just a game you take this way too seriously you have a serious problem ... So is everyone a sociopath seral killer gangster irl for running around and killing innocent people in GTA ?? that's the same thing right killing innocent people in a videogame ? it's a open world pvp game fighting over grind spots is part of the game and the main reason why we have the ability to flag up and the cause of 90% of guild wars ... so how is someone a frustrated beaten children who idolize street criminals who sell drugs for killing you over a grind spot ?

16. Whito

Whito Whito_190812080241901 Mystic 60 EU

I do not even play on a regular basis ... I'm one of those hated casuals.

But I'll tell him he's wrong, the one who does not play for fun and takes the game too seriously has that criminal behavior.

I would rather bet my life that the GM and CM of Kakao have been threatened with death by firearms on repeated occasions.

#16 Whito, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2018
    Columba likes this.
  17. Rayin

Don't say that, the first commandment of Alicia Dominica gospel is: "You won't have all day to play if you PvE, else you'll be considered an unskilled, gear carried, social welfare carried, no lifing, leecher, smelly basement-dweller PvPer.", which i'm not saying that you are, but in this forum everyone come up with excuses to justify their inability to excel because ego is an ugly beast and can't even elaborate their thoughts without going into some cavemen speeches.

Funny.

HucKa and Murderingspork like this.
  18. The_Lord

i don't know what your trying to say ... but this '' criminal behavior '' dude it's a game lol. I assume your trying to troll i don't know i hope so.

19. Vafthrudnirson

Grind in full DP, food, villa, draught, get as tanky as humanly possible, and just ignore people.

20. farsay

farsay Mystic 62 NA

i follow a simple rule set that covers all possible scenarios

1-you come first, the spot it yours for now.

2-someone comes into your spot, they can 1- ask you for a duel, if you a- win you keep the spot b-lose they take the spot

3-third scenario, the player coming into your spot doesn't ask for a duel either 1- you out grind them 2- they might flag up and 3- you flag up. in scenario 3 the spot is yours no matter what the outcome is, no respect given, no respect given back .

all this changes on arsha, because the main reason i play on it is for pvp, the 50% drop rate is just good bait to bring people into it

WhySoSeeryus and levinano like this.