1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[FLAME THREAD WARNING} Who gets grind spot?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by levinano, Oct 25, 2018.

?

Who should get the grind spot?

1. First come first serve

68 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Might makes right

86 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. First come first serve, but with negotiations

35 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Other - please comment below your thoughts

36 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Dreadhood

Fun how no one considered partying up ;V

LesserHellspawn likes this.
  2. Thranduil

The one who karmabombs + farms faster. Next question.

3. Mido

Mido Archer 62 EU

levinano likes this.
  4. levinano

The best I've seen was 2 plays adding each other on Steam and playing a round of Golf It for the spot XD

Yeah I have a DP set in case I need to go red killing apes who come into my rotation and refuse to converse.... but if you grinded in that you're gimping yourself on xp/silver per hour and letting other people out grind you (if someone's contesting like that) >.<

That happened a lot more often in the beginning, but just like the Walking Dead, the longer the apocalypse go, the more people enjoy just shooting each other and getting the full loot...

but but but.... is that the right thing to do though?

If you have the mindset of "I want that spot no matter what," then there will be a way to do it. Kill them till they leave, if you can't, karma bomb them till they leave, if not, outgrind them/grind in their spot and annoy them, till they leave"

All of which bypasses the moral judgement part (is the spot first come first serve, or might makes right?) and goes straight to the action.

I guess the point of the thread is to find out how much people think morality matters in a video game....
    I agree with your post, mostly, about this game being PvP, and that you try to talk before you draw your weapons, but I do disagree a little with this bit.

No, I don't think GTA players are more inclined to commit crimes, in the same way I don't think the Japanese are more inclined to molest people on trains and rape little girls (if anything I think media is a great source of outlet for these hidden desires/frustrations, being able to do them in games means they don't need to break social norms to find out what it's like to do it). However, I do think what someone does in a video game isn't separate from their psyche completely. For example, someone who considers killing civilians till the cops show up, and to fight the cops, I consider them normal, as that's a game mechanic and what they consider "fun" is actually fighting NPCs resisting them. If their idea of "fun" is to endlessly kill pedestrians with Lester holding off the police, or to go into MW2 and endlessly replay "No Russian," then I would start having doubts about how this person's personality really is. I wouldn't immediately link him to be a worst person or a criminal in the making, but I would think that parts of his decisions in real life will somehow be affected by these subconscious demons lurking waaaay back in the depth of his heart.

It's like how I would say what choices people make in TellTale games, or in games like DayZ, H1N1, and what not, does matter.

Although BDO is a PvP game built around the fun of PvPing, if someone's idea of "fun" is to make others miserable, even if it's just a video game, well... yeah :/

In the end, I do think this subject of "first come first serve (courtesy)" vs "might makes right (I'm going to get what I want regardless of harm done, it's a video game)" is worth discussing :3

#24 levinano, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  5. levinano

That's pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!

But it does assume that "you're not a douchebag." The point of this thread is to identify what "being a douchebag" means. As in, if you get killed, should you leave? But you were there first? Or should you not care and karmabomb? But karmabombing is bad... but is it? if you were there first and the other "douchebag" came in and try to steal your chance at advancing in the game? But they spent all that time to get that gear and practice to get to a skill level to kill you, their reward should be the right to make you leave a spot because you can't defend it, right?

That's the things we're thinking about :/

6. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Ninja

Rule of the jungle! Survival of th fittest!!

7. Fasque

the one who grinds faster... my opinion

8. Kusaragii

I personally go by first come first serve. I don't really see a reason to try and take a grind spot from someone else when I can just go to a different channel.

Then again, I'm a Valkyrie, there is no way I can outgrind someone else with my mobility.

Fateneko and Jeanina like this.
  9. magret

those are 2 very different things.
    not many tigers left btw...

zhagsten likes this.
  10. LoganSilver

LoganSilver LoganSilver Witch 62 NA

The only rules are the rules you set for yourself. My earlier post was lengthy and described what I do, but people can do whatever they want within the rules of the game. Party up. Karma bomb. Go red to kill karma bombers. Use Arsha. Out grind. Server swap. Dec the guild. Perma dec the guild.

It’s a game with pvp as an option. There is no right or wrong way to play. Feel free to make rules for yourself or your guild. I sure do (no karma bombing rule). But don’t expect other people to follow your rules. The only rule is to play within the rules of the game. Don’t hack. Don’t cheat. Don’t break the game’s terms of service.

You got karma bombed and went red when you didn’t want to be red? It’s your own fault for going red. You got perma dec’d by a stronger guild because you karma bombed? It’s your own fault for karma bombing. Our actions have consequences. Be nice to people and they will be nice back to you. It doesn’t always work out, which is why I sometimes have a pocket negative karma alt. But most of the time people are nice if you are nice to them.

Columba and levinano like this.
  11. Mido

Mido Archer 62 EU

Long time ago when you died in PvP you were losing 1% of exp. It was a harsh penalty (imo too harsh) but now the person that dies doesn't lose anything at all. On the other hand the killer loses karma very quickly (quicker that he can farm it). Being a douchebag means exploiting this inequality, also known as karmabombing.

IMO that's very simple. Spots are limited and if we were supposed to obey "first come first served" rule, the only people who would grind at the weekend would be nolifers who wake up at 5:00 and go to sleep at midnight. And you couldn't do anything about it. But with "stronger gets the spot" rule there is something you can do - you can get better. Either by grinding on worse spots or by training pvp in the arena.

#31 Mido, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  12. Sandrituky

Sandrituky WhiteWolf Sorceress 62 EU

I usually respect others' spots (maybe because I'm always thinking I'm weaker than anyone around). But I also build respect for my spot, I set my camping tool to mark my territory, and if someone enters, I will keep doing my rotation as fast as I can, and they usually leave in less than 3 minutes. A few of them ask me to "duel for spot", but I ignore them, and they leave xD

13. Claydough

Simply put, who ever gets the spot, gets the spot
    Theres no ‘rule’ saying who gets what clearly

What it all really cones down to is ettiquete and not being a rude ****, what ever that deffinition is to you
    And alot of people seem to forget how to treat other people when it comes to this game, or the internet in general too i guess

I like to think of it as a real life situation of a park bench in a public park with a stranger sitting on it
    So if you want to sit on the bench what do you do?

1. Push him off and yell at him ‘SPOT TAKEN’
    2. Sit so close to him that he gets unconfortable and leaves
    3. Get 4 friends to sit on the bench taking up all the room
    4. Ask if you can sit on the other side of the bench
    5. Find another empty bench

And the same theory can be applied to the person sitting on the bench too

This **** is easy to figue out irl, why cant people work it out in game?

Ninnghizhidda and levinano like this.
  14. Dalenos

#pveservers #instanceservers #gankvictimsmatter

LesserHellspawn likes this.
  15. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

i personally love it when people call out for rules after acting like assholes. we all met those types - attacking you in the back wearing ghillies, then proceeding to call you the karmabomber or provoking you to go negative when u come back to kill them or then starting to ask for fair duel or what not. no can do mister. prepare for every trick in the book that exists, from accepting duel to kill your horse to severe grindspot disruption etc. i have time to preach basics of good behavior. u reap what u saw they say.

Auralexia, zhagsten and Columba like this.
  16. 6footgeeks

whichever is more of a nuisance/stubborn

I personally think of it on a bit wider terms than just guy vs guy

First, I look at the state of the game. The game has no factions, or if you take guilds, hundreds of factions. With Open world PvP, essentially a free for all

System made in such a way that grind spots are quite important to players even after they have 'out geared' them by a mile, For example, people want to be able to grind Sharps/Hards, and they can with places like hexe and helms. But the devs stopped there and higher level spots don't give hards/sharps. so what happens, you get people well over the recommended gear grinding at 'lower' spots

then they made gear so penultimately important that being just a few gear scores above someone can make you unkillable for the oponent. I mean, higher Gear score persone ALWAYS had an advantage, they were either more tanky or had more damage, or a little bit of both in the older system. Post reknown though, invest in just one attribute and you can be significantly more damaging while being significantly more tanky at the same time. So really. invest in ap and become an UNKILLABLE murder bot

Now kakao could fix the situation by doing a couple of simple things, but they dont. Instead they do the most toxic, though next best most viable thing

let People with higer gear score have ultimate and complete advantage over someone with lower score, and let lower people throw their bodies at people without remorse. and the one who wins is the one who's most stubborn, or the one most highest on weed (unraging).

In its own toxic way, its balanced enough to keep things going, no matter how much people dislike it. :/

17. Ashenvall

Grief and toxicity is the best answer :D

18. Animas

Your just gonna get a load of monkeys commenting about how they wish to spend there ENTIRE day disrupting someones grind because they got killed off the spot.

Kinda sad if thats what a day in your life entitles tbh.

19. Reave711

Ehh kinda in the night makes right camp depending on the spot

If you’re 270 ap at sausans then you’re a ********

If I’m ch locked I’ll hop in someone else’s rotation and ask for a duel. If they decline I flag up and kill them once, if they don’t leave I’ll just dec their guild when possible. If a dec isn’t possible I’ll just grief their grind till they leave...occasionally flagging up to cc them then immediately unflagging for the lols and teabagging them if they die to monsters

That being said if someone comes to my rotation and kicks my **** in I’ll go back once flagged. If I lose again I just cc or leave

20. Columba

I don’t interrupt others’ rotations. I mind my own business, and if others come into where I am grinding alone, I ignore them. If someone attacks me, I will use my limitless supply of rezz pots to constantly attack them. I will never leave. If I was there first, minding my own business, I see no reason why I should be the one to leave. Learn To Share (TM)!