1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[FLAME THREAD WARNING} Who gets grind spot?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by levinano, Oct 25, 2018.

?

Who should get the grind spot?

1. First come first serve

68 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Might makes right

86 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. First come first serve, but with negotiations

35 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Other - please comment below your thoughts

36 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Joungf

Player want realistic games - even if it is based on fantasy / fiction. They want do everything they can do in real life- but without any or less consequences (which turns the realism back to unrealistic again).
    Playing e.g. a shooter where you can not turn on friendly fire and other options that provides realism as in real life on a battle ground, is fantasy / fiction. Same for BDO: You can not attack NPCs and friendly fire does also not exist. You can not destroy every object. For the player it is just satisfaction to be able to attack other player who are level 50+ outside of safe zones.

2. levinano

Some people might like this, but the 32% first come first serve peeps would think "why should I leave even if I lost rock paper scissors, I was here first." and the 36% Might makes right peeps would think "why should I risk the chance of losing my spot to someone who's so much weaker than me? I could just kill them and be done with it."

3. Variare

Variare Warrior 62 NA

You are really conflicted here. It's been stated numerous times in this thread that people are unhappy with the player behavior of killing someone over a spot rather than the developer who made this thing possible. And you just dodge my question, when is it actually OK to flag up or declare war on someone? Also, when did I say the game is designed to engage on sight? The game is designed to engage at will. Those are two different things. I do not feel upset if someone flags on me randomly on my horse, at a rotation, doing a quest. It doesn't matter, I realize they are just playing the game how they want to play it, that at the end of the day is how bdo works. For you to understand that, you need to accept that the other player is playing the game how they want to play it rather than "I cant play the game how I want to". I'm in the same situation when someone comes to kill mobs in a rotation I've been in for over an hour guildless in a ghili ignoring any message to them. I either kill them and lose karma or leave the area, right? I choose to go negative and accept they are playing the game how they want to. I then play accordingly myself yet ideally I'm not playing the game how I want to because I'd rather they not do that. Try accepting the other players ability to play how they want rather than complaining you're not getting to play how you want because of it and it will work wonders for you. Lastly, please answer my question you are dodging. No one seems to have an appropriate answer to when it's actually OK to use the mechanic period.

4. Variare

Variare Warrior 62 NA

I think it is also a d*** move to kill afkers or people pathing on horses, yet I accept its a game mechanic, I don't hate the person who did it. I realize what I'm playing already and what comes with that. As for many of the points you have, I think this is a developer issue rather than player issue. You are signing up not to play a game that is PvP/Kill on sight, but a game that is PvP/Kill at will. These real life analogies are truly appalling. You don't particularly sign up to play real life, you're just given it. You sign up to play BDO and have a choice to play it, it is not the same thing as choosing to live or die.

5. Joungf

Which answer do you expect? A positive or a negative one? A good or a bad one? Which answer do you prefer?

6. Variare

Variare Warrior 62 NA

There is no fact in this situation, only opinions. So yours and others opinions is fine. Is there ever a time that flagging up or declaring war is OK for the ones here that are against PK over a spot? If so what are the reason(s)? I'm getting the vibe here that the mechanic itself is the troublesome part but so much hate is generated to the player not the developer/ publisher. Yes even publishers, as in other MMO's such as tera the publisher decided to get involved on case by case scenario like PKing outside lumbertown eventually became a suspension until they changed the system so you couldn't PK there anymore.

7. Joungf

1. You are against PK over a spot
    2. You want to flagg
    3. You want to declare war (to a guild)
    4. You are looking for a specific time to do so
    5. You are asking yourself what could be the reason to do so
    ... ok ....

8. LilithDragonFlower

This isn't #ThePurge

You do the crime, you do the time, including #Karma Bombing.

9. levinano

The thing is, there is no choice. Most people play BDO because they think even with all it's bad elements, it's the best MMORPG out there. To a lot of people, me included, it's either play BDO or don't play games altogether.

BDO isn't just a PvP game like how Battle Royales, League, Overwatch, or survival games like H1Z1/DayZ were. It's an MMORPG. If half the population wasn't thinking "might makes right," you can play this MMO without even running into troubles with PvP. You sign up to play BDO as an MMORPG, not a PvP game. People sign up to be in a beautiful world, not to get griefed by other players. If you're seeking a PvP game, then you're the one in the wrong game as there are plenty of non-MMORPG, actual PvP games out there.

I don't think people who think "might makes right" is wrong, nor do I have a proposal for the developers to change the system, I just want to point out that "it's just a game" isn't a valid justification for griefers to do whatever it takes to get what they want and to ruin someone else's day. When I say griefers, both "first come first serve" (Karma bombers) or "might makes right" (PK griefers) fall into that category.

10. Columba

Defending myself is a game mechanic. Grinding mobs and minding my own business are game mechanics. I don't have to leave an area and I don't have to flag up to stay there, both mechanics. So why are some game mechanics being treated differently?

Please explain why i should leave an area if I am there first, bothering no one, and some higher geared player kills me? show me that rule.

Kagedancer likes this.
  11. Variare

Variare Warrior 62 NA

You seem really confused. No I know my reasons to do so, and if you read back I've already listed them in other posts so I'm not sure what you're even saying. A lot of the ones here are cutting down people for killing them over a spot, I'm wondering when its appropriate to use the flag mechanic or declaration of war by that logic. It seems like there's never an appropriate time to if you can't even kill someone over a spot.

12. Variare

Variare Warrior 62 NA

When did I say you have to leave an area if you are there first? I advocated for the right to be able to kill you until you decide to. Because I support the game mechanic, and to this point no one has given me a single example they'd be alright for using the flag mechanic or declaration of war that would fit their terms. Leading me to conclude this is purely a development issue you need to address towards Pearl Abyss rather than the player base.

13. Columba

I have no issue with anyone flagging. I take issue with people who whine about so called "karmabombing" when they are the ones who flag. There is no such thing as karma bombing. It's self inflicted karmacide. There's nothing to address. The system is perfect as is. If people can't handle karma losses go to Arsha, the tough kid channel.

14. Domoro

Tbh, only those people who are childish enough to keep stubbornly grinding even though they had their ass beat several times, or those who bm by trying and failing to out grind (usually while also getting their asses beat) are in the wrong. The person who can beat your ass deserves the spot above all, no matter what people who use the karma blanket might think.

NoisyBoy likes this.
  15. Columba

Why do they deserve the spot? Show me the rule. If I am there first , not bothering anyone, why should I leave?

Kagedancer likes this.
  16. Arithin

Might makes right, but with one stipulation.. No whining. No matter what.

Karma bombing, mob pk, desert flag baiting, getting zerged, decs by anyone, etc. All of these are valid reactions to any disruption in someone else's play. Don't ruin a perfectly good owpvp game with complaints. Even if the devs listened to your suggestions the changes would eventually make you hate the game more. None of those things listed are exploits or griefing, so just find an ingame solution to it and enjoy yourself.

17. ManlyBeard

Spots always taken, no matter who what when where or why.

Learn to share

18. Kagedancer

I don’t leave. I also don’t invade other peoples spots. If I’m farming and using my buffs it’s on them if they want to flag and lose Karma.

It’s really narcissistic of anyone to think that everyone else should stop what they are doing and play around their whims. I paid for this game like anyone else and your not the boss of me. If someone wants to be a ****, well don’t go crying to chat when you lose Karma. All of this was their own decision.

levinano and Columba like this.
  19. Zhev

You always assume that the player who kills the other thinks he owns the map(just to add, you do neither) Even if you dont believe that it is usually the other way around you should be able to accept that PKing isnt as bad as constantly disturbing someones grind, since you are helpless against a griefer but are able to grief a PKer, didn't you?

bacause karma gets exploited to infinity, that is why it is treated differently. just to tell you, exp loss wouldnt be a good soulution anymore in my eyes after renown killed the pvp in this game but the current system is cancer and just supports toxic behaviour.

that is what most people see. i am first and someone arrives and starts bothering me. why do they deserve my spot just because they start to grief me by destroying my rotation? game time is limited and if the outcome of grinding falls to low it is a waste of time. not even jesus expect someone to share his last bread so that he will starve to death as well...

levinano likes this.
  20. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

Because often there are other strong people. When you get killed and thus have to leave the spot, where do you go? Right, you switch server. Problem is that there is only ONE arsha server, so you have to switch to a normal server.

Cause those spots are most effective, for lvl56 and 400gs or lvl62 and 560gs. It's a fault from the developers to make those areas so effective for that variety of people instead of trying to spread the people more around and actually give a grinding spot progression past lvl56.

levinano likes this.