1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forest of the Ancient Night

Discussion in 'RP' started by Joungf, Apr 27, 2019.

1. erethir

Alira was caressing Bella and talking to her softly. Suddenly she heard Daryen's voice, "What do you want from me?". Alira frowned and was about to teach him some manners when she noticed that he wasn't talking to her, in fact he was staring at a fix point on the trees, or maybe the air.

"I was hungry... I was cold. I was tired of begging for a piece of bread. I was tired...", he continued, his face looked anguished.

"Daryen?" Alira tried, but he did not seem to hear, he continued talking to some invisible entity, his expression turned into anger, then he looked down at his open hands as if they were covered with blood or something very greasy or dirty.

It was as though he was rehearsing for a play, except no one could be that good an actor. As he continued tears rolled down his cheeks. "I am sorry. I would trade my life for yours if I could, if it would bring you back. But I can't... I can't undo what I have done," he said with desperation in his voice. Alira looked at him sadly, her eyes were watering now as well. From what Alira could understand he had killed someone, maybe more than one, and he was sorry. Was this true? Was he dreaming, hallucinating?

Suddenly she was aware that he was looking at her. She flung herself into his arms and embraced him. "Daryen, a wise man once told me, no good ever comes from dwelling in the past."

After a while she let go and looked into his eyes, two deep pools of a clear blend of blue and green, but quickly looked down shyly.

#41 erethir, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Joungf and Ben Phoenix like this.
  2. Ben Phoenix

Daryen's body and mind were frozen. He looked at Alira with wide open eyes. Now she knew he was an assassin, she heard everything and tried to comfort him but why? Why did she do that? She didn't even know him, she didn't know how angry, broken and lonely he was.

She didn't know about his parents who just abandoned him maybe without even wondering what kind of life he would have had in that small town of man, among people who didn't have time or will to care about a little bastard. He didn't completely belong there, he was different because of his elven side: his delicate features, his capabilities other children didn't have, his pointed ears... All about him was an excuse for most of the kids to tease him and bully him while the adults were either silent witnesses or perpetrators themselves.

Daryen thought about his uncle and aunt. Always distant, always so cold and tired. He wanted to ask them about his parents, hear their stories, know why they didn't want or couldn't take care of him... Why did they leave him there, why didn't they try to stay in touch with him? Didn't they love him? Didn't they know how desperate and miserable he was?

His uncle one time told him that his father wasn't a good person and his mother wasn't in a position to take care of him. That was all he was able to hear from his uncle's mouth about his parents. He was often drunk and angry and his wife used to leave the house with her children every time her husband was about to become violent. She never cared to take Daryen with her. He was their scapegoat, he was the one left there to deal with his uncles' fury.

Daryen shook his head to throw that memories as far away as he could then looked at Alira in rage. His eyes were sharp like a blade and cold like a winter sky.

- What about you Alira of the House of Narhan, what about your weaknesses, your fears, your regrets? Maybe you regret that you haven't put on your red outfit instead of the one you are wearing now? Maybe you regreat that you didn't have jam and fresh bread for breakfast instead of milk and honey? Do you regreat being rich or spoiled or the apple of your parents' eyes? Do you?!

Daryen took his bow from the ground then started walking away with quick steps.

#42 Ben Phoenix, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    erethir and Joungf like this.
  3. Joungf

Zack saw a high pedestal and something on it, that look like an altar. A glittering item was hovering over the altar. That woman was also hovering and trying to grab that item. But a kind of invisible barrier protecting it. That woman began to rise her staff and released a powerful spell toward that item but her magic shot disappeared half the way. At the same time a huge lightning stroke that woman and she fell down. Some parts of her cloak were lightly smoking. Zack looked with shocked eyes how that woman stand up and cursed. Now he was close enough to see her hair and staff.

"This staff with two prongs is unique and belongs to a powerful witch. Her silver-white hair, she must be Ilerza." he thought and just in that moment she teleported directly in front of him, so close, like she want to kiss him.

"Yes it's me, Ilerza the witch." Ilerza said looking with her blue eyes straight in his orange eyes. Ilerza has the ability to read ones mind. There are not so many people that can do that. One other person was Melfin, a wise wizard.

"Arrghh! That stupid old Melfin! Instead of using the power of the artefacts of the ancients he sealed them all so no one can use them for evil purpose!" Ilerza shouted. Ilerza just read Zack's mind again. He felt helpless.

"Stop reading my mind Ilerza!" Zack said in an angry tone.

"Oooh, little Bruce is afraid. He hides himself from his best friend. More because he do not want a fight against his once best friend than protecting someone. How pity. Isn't it so, Zack?" she asked him in a teasing way.

"Can you please shut up? I already fight him together with his bad boys from the assassin guild during the last war between our guild and theirs.

"Even you hate all member of the assassin guild you could not stab your dagger in Felix heart. You let him flee." Ilerza continued teasing him.

Zack was thinking what Alira was doing right now and if Daryen already woke up.
    "I sensed the presence of a strong power. So, Alira is her name? A young and strong witch of house Narhan. She has no idea about her powers slumbering deep inside her. Maybe I should awake them and ask her to align with me. If she will refuse, then I have to kill her." Ilerza said and smiled.

Zack shrugged. "If you lay a finger on her, I will kill you!" Zack shouted with anger in his voice.

"My, my, Bruce, always so overprotective. I am not interested in people who are not ready yet. Alira is far away to become dangerous for me. Ha ha ha! Daryen, a half human, half elven? Don't know this guy. Well, maybe you can do me a favour? Steal me that artefact at the top of that altar... no, it was just a joke. If I can not take it out with my powers, how will you do that?" she said and laughed.

Zack's curiosity was burning. An artefact, what kind of artefact that Ilerza was trying to steal? He started to run to the pedestal, jumped on it and then he climbed on the altar. It was'n that hard. But then he remembered that lightning and the barrier. He put on his mask and slowly came closer to that glittering item. It was a medallion.

Zack started to translate the inscription: The one who I choose, only the one can wear it, only that one I will serve. Death is nothing than an illusion for that one who I serve." he read with big astonishment and respect. He could not believe it. He was in front of one of the most powerful artefact, the Medallion of Life. He remembered that the ancient immortal alchemist was wearing it. The elven queen was wearing it when a dark knight put a deathly poison in her drink and also in that of the elven king. She survived and tricked the dark knight to get the antidote and heal the king.

But Zack was not interested to became immortal. He was also not interested in stealing artefact. It was just his scientific curiosity. He was so happy and fascinated that he grab that medallion softly. When he realized, that his hand was holding that medallion without getting punished by the ancients he was irritated.

"Dr. Bruce Echo. Your heart is pure. Do not be afraid of the power of the ancient. Only the ones who are not pure in their hearts should fear it." a deep voice spoke. Zack looked around with fear in his face. It was the voice of the ancients. Suddenly he felt a big pain in his back. Everything in front of his eyes went blank and he fell on the altar.

Ilerza stabbed him from behind with her dagger. She pulled her dagger out and was going to grab the medallion out of his fist. "Thanks Zack. You fool. Now, finally it is mine." she said and laughed.

"You do not deserve my powers! You have desecrate the holy place with blood. Be gone!" the deep voice of the Ancients spoke. Then a huge blue bolt hit Ilerza and she disappeared instantly.

Zack still was lying in a small puddle of his own blood when the medallion in his hand began to sparkle. The puddle of blood began to flow back into his wound and the wound become smaller and smaller until it completely vanished. Zack began to breath and opened his eyes.

He began to remember the pain he had in his back and Ilerza, who also was here. He slowly stood up and looked around but Ilerza was not there anymore. Then he realised that he is holding something in his hand. It was the Medallion of Life.

"I have revived you after you got assassinated by Ilerza. The Ancients banned her from this holy place for that reason. I have chosen you you Bruce. If you accept, I will serve you and will give you immortality" the medallion said.

"I am forever in your dept for reviving me. I do not want to be rude but I have to deny your offer. I never wanted to become immortal nor possess superhuman powers. I hope you will accept my decision." said Zack, not knowing that the revive reverted his disguised form and he was now Bruce.

"So be it Bruce. It was a great honour to serve you and I accept your decision. Maybe one day we will meet again Dr Bruce Echo." the medallion said. Zack walked to the middle of the altar and opened his hand. The medallion hovered up silently to his original position.

#43 Joungf, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Maginha, erethir and Ben Phoenix like this.
  4. erethir

A flash of anger surged through Alira's body, her right hand extended towards her saddle bag and the Aad Sphera came flying through the air. When they arrived she moved her hands in a flowing motion, spinning the orbs around her body and then above her right hand.

"Stop right there," she said with a cold voice. Daryen stopped for a moment without turning around, and then continued walking. That little... Alira raised her hands and spun the orbs faster above her head. Ice! - she channeled her magic through the orbs and imagined an extreme cold surrounding Daryen. The orbs shone white with white magical particles flying around them, and frost spread on the ground around Daryen's feet. The humidity of the air froze, rapidly forming a thick barrier of ice rising from the ground around his legs, forcing him to stop. When it reached his waist she stopped, even though she in that moment, in her anger, would have wanted to go on.

She started walking towards him. "You don't know anything about me, so don't judge! I don't know what you have gone through but and I am not the apple of my parents' eyes. They only care that I follow in my mother's footsteps and become a powerful and influential witch, but everything I do is a disappointment. Second in class is a tragedy, and when I was best in class I could have been better, and my magic abilities is the biggest disappointment of all! I can hardly do much more than lighting a candle..." she paused, "except when I am angry."

By the time she was done with her rant she noticed Daryen's lips had turned blue. She was still angry but started to feel sorry for what she had done to him. She let her Aad Sphera circulate his legs slowly as they melted the ice.

Maginha, Ben Phoenix and Joungf like this.
  5. Ben Phoenix

Daryen was shaking, both because of the ice around his body and a wild anger. He looked into Alira's eyes making a huge effort to not push her to the ground with all his strenght. He knew he would have never forgive himself if he had hurt her.

He stayed silent and still for some time then took a couple of steps, the ice was finally melted. He was very close to her now. He suddenly found himself thinking how beautiful she was and that thought surprised and almost shocked him. He took some steps back, he wasn't sure what to do.

"At least you know who your parents are. You didn't grow up like a stranger in your own relatives' house, praying the Spirits to be still alive when the dawn has finally come and your uncle is finally asleep on the floor, exhausted and empty after all that sensless hate." Daryen stopped talking but he was still looking in Alira's eyes. His gaze was calmer now, like the sea after a storm but there was still a shadow, a dark cloud that didn't want to let the sun touch the surface of that sea.

"Be who you are, stop trying to please other people. Please yourself, at the end of the day your life is the only certainty you got, no one has the right to deny you the happiness you deserve. You don't belong to anyone except for yourself."

Daryen opened his bag, took a snare for hair and pulled his dark hair back into a ponytail then smiled and shook his head. "Too bad your parents didn't see what you just did to me, they would be so proud of you. If you want, I could make you angry more often so you can practise your magic. I'll do it for free".

Daryen laughed, his voice was deep but still young, the shadow in his eyes was gone. He started walking then looked quickly back at Alira. "I will search for Zack, did he say where he was going?"

#45 Ben Phoenix, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Maginha, erethir and Joungf like this.
  6. erethir

Alira thought about what Daryen had said. She was a woman now, she could decide for herself. And if her parents didn't like her for what she was, well damn them.

"Too bad your parents didn't see what you just did to me, they would be so proud of you. If you want, I could make you angry more often so you can practise your magic. I'll do it for free," Daryen said and laughed. The joke came so unexpected that Alira's serious expression suddenly vanished and her tightly closed lips changed into a smile as she stiffled a giggle.

Daryen started walking, "I will search for Zack, did he say where he was going?". Still giggling she caught up with him, "He was going to investigate the waterfall," she said and her face turned more serious again. "I hope he's aright, he's been away a long time... Oh, I need to go check on Bella first. Go ahead and I will be right behind."

Alira went back to the camp. Bella was eating some grass from the ground and Alira petted her gently, the campfire was glowing weakly. "Hey there... I will go over to the waterfall to look for Zack, don't wander off OK? I will be right back."

Alira pulled out a beautiful leather case from her saddle bag, it had the same intricate patterns as the orbs and was attached to a thin leather belt. She put on the belt with the case on her left side and placed her orbs in it, then she went after Daryen.

Maginha, Joungf and Ben Phoenix like this.
  7. Ben Phoenix

Daryen checked if Alira was following him then continued walking quickly. It didn't take much time before they were able to reach the waterfall. It was silent all around but the water was singing and sparkling in the light of Alira's sphere. Daryen closed his eyes for a moment and smiled. It was peaceful there. He opened his eyes again then noticed something not so far away that looked like a piece of paper, he looked at Alira in wonder then reached the paper and realised that there was something written on it "I am inside the cave in the other side of the waterfall. I should hear you if you shout loud and will then answer or will came out. If not, you have to come inside."

He gave the paper to Alira to make her read the message as well then started shouting Zack's name. After some time with no response he looked at Alira in concern “We need to go inside the cave, I hope he's fine and we'll be able to find him”. Daryen walked through the cave's entrance first then helped Alira, he looked around and suddenly noticed something on the floor, he realised it was a notebook but not just any notebook, it was Zack's one.

He took it from the floor then started flipping through the pages. He closed the notebook again and noticed the initials of a name on the cover “B.E.”. He suddenly remembered a book about the Ancients that he had read some time before in the library in Calpheon. That book was written by a scientist and archaeologist called Bruce Echo... Was it possible that the notebook belonged to him? If so, why did Zack have it then? Did he kill the archaeologist and took his notebook? There was precious information there after all.

Daryen looked at Alira but didn't say anything about his suspicion. He took a look around, something on the wall caught his attention, he got closer and noticed that there was an inscription, it looked very ancient. He frowned and started thinking, he knew both Alira and he didn't have the knowledge to translate that inscription but he also knew it was much likely a way to open a door through that wall. The cave wasn't very big and there was no other way that could have led somewhere else except for that wall.

Daryen opened the notebook again, if Zack had translated that inscription, he had most likely written it down in the notebook. “It might be this...” Daryen started reading aloud the words on the notebook but nothing seemed to happen. He touched the wall to see if there was a crack somewhere when he realised that the wall was soft now, he looked at Alira in surprise, took her hand gently and passed through it. The other side was a huge room with an altar in the middle. It was light there, Daryen squinted his eyes, he wasn't used to light environments anymore. He took a quick look around. In the middle of the room there was an altar but what caught his attention the most was a figure standing next to it, it was a man and he was wearing Zack's clothes but his features weren't quite the same as Zack's one. Daryen looked at Alira, then at the man in wonder. "Who are you and where is Zack?".

#47 Ben Phoenix, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Maginha, erethir and Joungf like this.
  8. Joungf

Zack was lost in thoughts while still watching the sparkling medallion. Too many things happened here. "I should head back to the camp. Alira and Daryen maybe are already worried and started looking for me." he thought. Just in that moment he heard Daryen's voice shouting "Who are you and where's Zack?". He turned around and saw Alira and Daryen looking curious at him. Daryen was holding his notebook. Zack came to the conclusion that Alira and Daryen managed to enter the hall by reading his translation of the runes he recorded in his notebook. But why did Daryen asked him who he is and where Zack was gone?

Zack quickly touched his face and head with his hands and then turned himself back to the medallion. "The revive did also restored my original appearence. Oh no, now they know my real identity." Zack said with deep worry in his voice. The medallion kept silence. Zack saw, that he can not hide his secret any longer from Alira and Daryen. The time had finally came where Zack must tell the truth.

Bruce looked to Alira and Daryen and took a deep breath. "Everything is fine. I will explain you everything. I am Dr Bruce Echo. You will now say
    that Dr Bruce Echo died some years ago. That was my plan, do everyone think that I am death. Especially my enemies who are behind my discoveries I made. If they lands in the wrong hands, the whole world will be in danger. So I faked my death, changed my identity and continued my research from the underground. But now I understand that hiding and running away is not an option. I am sorry, if I had tricked or fooled you for so long. It was never my intention to harm you. Please forgive me." Bruce said with tears in his eyes.

Maginha, erethir and Ben Phoenix like this.
  9. Ben Phoenix

Daryen looked quickly at Alira then back at the man that was standing next to the altar. He didn't have any reason to not believe him even though he wasn't usually inclined to trust people easily. "I have something that bleongs to you then, Bruce Echo".

He was about to take some steps to approach Zack when he suddenly stopped and closed his eyes. The forest was calling and its voice was filled with concern. He wasn't sure what was happening but he knew he had to go back and find out.

"I need to go back to the forest, there is some kind of threat out there that is shaking the spirits, I have to go, can you please help me to exit this room?". Daryen reached out to give the notebook to Zack and waited for him to take it from his hand.

#49 Ben Phoenix, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    erethir and Joungf like this.
  10. erethir

Alira looked at Bruce in disbelief. What that really Zack? He looked so different.

"Don't worry, I forgive you. I am sure you had your reasons to hide your identity," she said hesitantly.

When Daryen said he needed to go, she felt relieved. It was too strange in here... ancient and powerful magic at play. She could feel the magical fields, but she did not know where they came from... The medallion surely, but something else was here too, or had been recently. She did not know what it was, but it made her nervous.

"I will come with you," she hurried to say. "Bruce.. are you coming too?" she said and looked at Bruce again. This version of Zack reminded her of someone. The name Bruce of House Echo flashed through her mind and she could see the image of Bruce standing together with her uncle Felix in her mind. And Bruce helping with her maths. A surprised look showed on her face but she did not say anything. She wanted to get out and wanted to be sure there was no trickery in play... He could be an illusion, maybe created by this mysterious magical field. A test maybe? But then why would it be Bruce, and not someone she knew better like father or at least uncle Felix?

Maginha, Joungf and Ben Phoenix like this.
  11. Joungf

While Bruce was wiping his tears, he heard Alira saying "Don't worry, I forgive you. I am sure you had your reasons to hide your identity,".

Daryen continued "I have something that belongs to you then, Bruce Echo" and was moving towards Bruce but suddenly stopped with a sorrowful expression. "I need to go back to the forest, there is some kind of threat out there that is shaking the spirits, I have to go, can you please help me to exit this room?" said Daryen and reached out to give the notebook to Zack and waited for him to take it from his hand.

"I will come with you," Alira hurried to say. "Bruce.. are you coming too?" she asked and looked at Bruce again.

Bruce noticed that both the Ancients and the medallion remained silence. He also noticed the sorrow in Daryen's face. He must really felt something dangerous and maybe more powerful than the Ancients.

He took his notebook from Daryen's hand, looked to both Alira and Daryen and nodded. "Yes, let's go." Bruce said and climbed down until he reached the floor. At the point where he entered the hall, he looked to the wall and read the translated text. The wall become soft again. "Alira, Daryen, we can now pass trough." he said waiting for them to enter.

#51 Joungf, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    erethir and Ben Phoenix like this.