1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamer might go to jail for 20 years because he role played as a terrorist in a mmorpg.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AlwaysSaltyAF, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlwaysSaltyAF

A gamer is going to jail for 20 years for role playing a terrorist in an online mmorpg. Sad times for internet freedom. Spread the word. Lets make this a public awareness issue. Gamer freedom matters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0yml9ISQm0

2. LightningFFXIII-4

Lol you still play BDO?

Also, what MMO? BDO is the only MMO i know where almost "Anything goes". Any other MMO i played, you could get into trouble for the simplest of things.

3. Tvvin

Yea and a ex friend and some random guy from my old game community named Mabinogi became pedos since I quit and lost communication with him. Now he is severing 30 years in prison on a plea deal .

People should have common sense to not do stupid stuff like this.

Saroell, Felyni, elynia01 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ben Phoenix

Well... Since, sadly, in US shooting in schools is a reality and a pretty awful one I guess jokes like that are taken seriously. Anyway, I guess you'll be fine as soon as you prove that it was actually a joke. A pretty bad one though.

Anyway, you should know that the internet traffic is monitored and all the sensitive words like bomb, for example, "trigger the alarm". It's not about gamers and their "freedom" to express themselves.

#4 Ben Phoenix, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  5. Wodur

People should have common sense to not do stupid stuff like this.

This.

Saroell, Dalenos, JM and 8 others like this.
  6. Boink

In the U.S. they expanded the laws to cover threats of acts of terror psychological and physical. It's under the Homeland Security Act which focuses on prevention. Threatening to shoot up a place even jokingly can get you arrested especially if you are using public chat.

You might be able to get a solid defense if the MMO you are playing is a shooter base game. As long as you didn't specify a place.

I think the FBI made a hashtag #thinkbeforeyoupost lol.... don't do it.

Memojie and Aikatears like this.
  7. Catastigma

10 min video of absolutly obvious think

Nice bait. Especially since you give no proof of your convocation in court.

If American justice really likes to summon people for these nonsense.

So the US is the worst place in the world. Because even in China they dare not be so devoid of brains and Anti-science

#7 Catastigma, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. AlwaysSaltyAF

I have proof but I can't upload it. If you upload anything with real names and addresses youtube will take it down, so I chose not to upload it. It's real though. It will probably be on the local news soon, or even national.

9. Two-Tu

Two-Tu Musa 62 EU

It really depends on the way he "roleplayed" here. If he made threats on blowing up real existing buildings and harming people in real life, this was indeed a dumb move from his way side and has to be taken seriously, even when meant as a joke.

But if "roleplayed" within the context of the game, this is just fine and can be great fun for everyone included, as shown in this vid:

There has to be more to this than just "roleplaying" if that dude has to get locked up for real.

10. Asterotis

I call BS on this one, you aren't particularly innocent when even I see you in server chat making idle threats, willy nilly. Regardless if it was joking, you should know better, especially someone that has 10 years under their belt playing video games, and within that time you haven't gained an ounce of maturity and learning right from wrong?

LithicForm, Ben Phoenix and Tvvin like this.
  11. AlwaysSaltyAF

10 years ago you were able to say this stuff without getting a bunch of cops knocking on your door, or even a ban. I know because I saw it all the time and also participated in it back then. Times are changing boys. You're limited to what you're able to say on video games now. Case in point with what just happened to me. Guess you can't even say to your friends who are going to a concert in a joking manner "make sure you don't xxx xxxx" can't even say that anymore apparently.

I guess you can't tell people you're going to "kill them" either in video games. Imagine that LOL. Thats a threat right? How many gamers say that to each other every single day? 1000000000?

12. Asterotis

This isn't 10 years ago when online games were a niche genre, what people could say back then without fear of consequences is irrelevant to now.
    Your concert comparision holds no ground either, because if you said this in public, regardless of friends there, someone is bound to take it seriously.
    On the internet you can't tell a person's intent, and given the fact that you said this in server chat and attempted to cover it under the guise of "It's just roleplay" isn't going to fly.
    10+ years and a man your age should know better by now, especially in today's society where everyone is on pins and needles about getting shot, or their children harmed.

Hopefully you learn and grow up from this, because you need it. No amount of spamming your idiocy on Reddit or the news is going to somehow get you out of your situation.

Sidina and Beeso like this.
  13. Mimimimi

i've personally never seen a death threat in bdo. if somebody was about to say "i'm going to kill you" i would say you are right, that's not a problem as it's in the context of the game. you want to kill my videogame character? sure, go for it. if somebody is putting threats in the context of reallife that's a different story.

saying something like "wanting to shootup a school" seems very disturbing to me. i cannot imagine to find that funny in any context.

#13 Mimimimi, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Maginha likes this.
  14. AlwaysSaltyAF

I guess you have different humor than other people. Role playing a psychopath in a role playing game is quite common though. I bet you don't consider yourself a role player despite you're playing a role playing game. Do you run around with plastic swords in real life and go larping?

I don't approve of the sensitive society of today. I don't enjoy watching netflix and seeing the flash cry every episode. I prefer clint eastwood and rambo movies, manly stuff. Should I be prosecuted for not being sensitive? I didn't find what I said to be offensive at all. I had no criminal intent while saying what I did and still don't. Agreeing to send me to jail for 20 years where I'll get stabbed by actual criminals despite never raising a finger to anyone in real life all because I role played a psycho path on a video game LOL.

#14 AlwaysSaltyAF, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2019
  15. Mimimimi

I suppose you should describe the setting where this happened and what was said better. Your video barely provides any details and it's impossible to judge any of it for an outsider.
    Apparently uncommon enough to be misunderstood as an actual danger to society. If somebody reported that incident somebody clearly was worried about what you said.

16. Sean

Sean Shai 60 NA

Alright. I have watched the video, which could have been three minutes long at the most, and read through this thread and have come to a simple conclusion. I, however, am going to address a few other points beforehand.

I want to focus on this part for a moment. I have been roleplaying in various games, situations, and platforms – and I hope people do not bring this up against me in trolls – for about three to four years on and off. I have joined some pretty serious and elite groups and even helped write a few guides for people slowly getting into the art of roleplaying.

Threatening to shoot up a school is not psychopath behaviour. It is a lazy attempt to offend and cause shock. The media has psychopaths and sociopaths highly twisted. However, I understand what you are getting at. I, too, often play the ‘bad guy’ or the villain in roleplaying and my character will often have various traits that make them, in a trope term, the anti-hero.

However, there are no schools in Black Desert Online and there are no AK47’s. Your excuse of roleplaying is gone because, in every sense of the word, your setting is void. You were not roleplaying and that is factual, no matter how you want to twist it. You were simply memeing, just like everyone else – myself included – in server chat. Regardless, threatening to shoot up a school is beyond that and a sign of deep mental issues.

And before you ask, yes, they have every right to imprison you because it is a threat of terrorism. They would be doing it to protect people. As far as I have seen, America is going through constant shootings almost monthly, so I do not blame them. If I had a child at a school that someone threatened to ‘shoot up’, I would be going mental right now.

If this is real, which I doubt as this would be all over the news, you deserve it. Not only because threatening the lives of innocent children is disgusting, but because it is people like you who are giving a bad name to gamers and making everyone actively use games as evidence of these incidents. How can you call yourself a gamer if you are ready to throw it under the bus on a whim?

I do agree that this generation has gone soft – things like this are not helping matters. When I was a kid, the only major act of terrorism was 9/11 and that did not even really cause an impact in Australia… I mean, it did, but not as much as it was for Americans. These days, it seems like every week there is something going on. Social media thrives on people being afraid and in an emotional mess. No one was addicted to Facebook or Twitter… a different time.

Clint Eastwood and Rambo are hardly ‘manly’ movies.

I think you need to re-evaluate your life and your stance on everything before you truly do say or do something that will get you harmed, killed, or imprisoned. There is a line on everything and you have crossed it, whether this is real or fake.

rSick, Ben Phoenix and Maginha like this.
  17. Mimimimi

genuine question: how do you know this happened in BDO?

18. AlwaysSaltyAF

Imaginary line drawn by who? I don't see any line. Never have. I say what I like to say and that is my right as an American. #freespeech

19. Sean

Sean Shai 60 NA

He said server chat and posted this on the Black Desert Online forums. I took a guess from those two indicators.

By human morals. And, before we get into it, free speech is not the right to threaten other people without consequence. I suggest you go and do some studying of your countries laws.

flukeSG2, Ben Phoenix and Maginha like this.
  20. Mimimimi

freespeech doesn't mean you can say whatever you wanna say without consequences.

Wodur, Ben Phoenix and Maginha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.