1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmoth: Male or Female?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DragonOfTruth2001, May 24, 2019.

1. DragonOfTruth2001

[Edit history can be seen in brackets.]
    ["Dreighan" should be "Drieghan" throughout.]

Hey all!

So, as per the topic of this thread, my main question is to what Garmoth's gender is. Not that it matters very much apart from lore, but I still feel it would be interesting to know, and to clarify in-game under Garmoth's knowledge bubble in the Ecology->Boss section would greatly assist in the effect knowledge truly has in the lore of the world of Black Desert Online.

First of all, the knowledge you receive under the Ecology->Boss section is a little vague when it comes to Garmoth's gender:

Described with the "it" pronoun throughout, it cannot be assumed either way at first whether or not Garmoth is male or female. However, upon looking closer at the Dreighan Adventure Journal, I found a supposedly definitive piece of evidence that Garmoth is male - three pieces, to be exact, all separate knowledge articles. Here's one:

Here, it would seem that Garmoth could safely be considered male for the intents and purposes of lore. As for now, that is what I would believe, since in-game, this is the knowledge you can dig up. However, it conflicted with Black Desert Online PC's post [on Twitter] regarding the region of Dreighan, and Garmoth leaving "her" nest:

Now, this leads to a conflict of information. So, what do you guys think? And for the staff, what is the official gender of Garmoth insofar as the lore is concerned? I feel it should be updated in the knowledge base (since Garmoth is known as both "it" and "he" in-game) to reflect this knowledge. I have also heard in chat that Garmoth could be female based on dialogue in-game during the quests in Dreighan - I have yet to confirm this, but if so, it should be updated, too. Staff, thank you in advance for consideration and the response.

Shoutout to Calpheon server chat!
    ~Peshkatz

Fateneko and MalTails like this.
  2. Luniartic

I am 99% sure it is a she, as it is living inside a nest, you can steal her babies a.k.a. the rare pet drop and most of the dialogues I found refer to it as a her.

Tvvin likes this.
  3. Artorias_Dusk

On the german client, Garmoth was male. Can't really tell now on the english.

4. bloodpuddle

bloodpuddle Lahn 62

he's a she.

Tvvin likes this.
  5. Angar

Angar Angar Sorceress 61 EU

Every time i go there, i get fuc ked.
    It is a he.

6. AlnilamE

Garmoth is female.

The game is full of places where pronouns are mixed up, and where NPC have names that are distinctively of the opposite gender.

Your character is referred to as "he" in the Ancient Stone Chamber quest, even though the class is female.

7. Korvgubben

I think the confusion regarding this is due to the korean language not being very clear on gender in plain text so the translators, who have no ingame context because ofc they dont ever proof-read anything even less so in an ingame setting, basicly cant tell.

At least thats what ive heard. I dont speak or read korean so I could be wrong. I do however know that some other languages refere to objects in a he/she manner.

8. Maginha

It identifies itself as an apache helicopter, urw

Luniartic likes this.