1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Costume Design Contest - Top 10 NA [Updated: 6/14/18] Prizes Delivered!

Discussion in 'Events' started by CM Kabz, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Asterotis

You can't disqualify ones that plagiarize and then literally place one in the top ten despite the numerous proof that was sent before--hand by various people.

You and others have handled this contest more than just poorly, you've slapped the artists that actually tried their best and basically told them that it's a-okay to cheat and shouldn't put effort into their entries, because if you're friends with a CM on social media, they'll make an exception for you, regardless if they know what they do is wrong.

You're more than willing to disqualify the ones called out with BARELY ANY PROOF, yet we give you PROOF on numerous threads, and what do you resort to? Banning, temporary suspensions, all while enforcing your rules for SOME but not others.

#41 Asterotis, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
    Ebba, Jooni, Dunkleosteus and 4 others like this.
  2. SereneDreams

3. RainnellLynnMitarius

I wasn't sure where the whole situation of a thief and to who it was against. While I'm a good friend of the person being called a "thief" I looked into it and mostly I understand why people are mad or angry at the situation. There is indeed a certain degree of "plagiarize" for the hairstyle certainly but the rest, I would not go ahead and beyond to call character position thieving. I mean alot of Artist do it and its a way to also practice or use a position you really do like and make something out of it----so that part, NO I do not believe the problem resides in him doing such as the main image is totally different from what the concept of Hyung-Tae Kim shows.

The Hair now that's a little iffy, especially that the hairstyle is used for a Nexus mod and that the creator clearly states to not copy or use what he created without permission and if it's to make money. As intended Either the person should have the "A-OKAY" from its creator or simply remove or change the hairstyle entirely to evade a lawsuit since Nexus content is protected by Bethesda itself and Nexus company. Also that the Mod is one of the most downloaded and that the one used is being showcased on the cover! it's hard to not oversee a problem with it.

I will not go on and still bash on the person that created it, the costume is well designed and coming from his own mind. As stated above I could care less for the body stances. The proper solution would be to remove the head or hairstyle accordingly to the original owner to keeps his work from being used in intent to make money, but at this point I would doubt it could be a possibility and the Risk the artist took, in the end, is on his shoulders and that if he indeed win----he should be somewhat aware of the consequences it might make to his reputation and also in term of lawsuit, justice and how the whole shabang functions.

I am not here to be distasteful of his talent, I love what he does even if its to draw over other pictures when it's for yourself/friends and what you wish to represent. It is not *Bad* and I will not pretend that It affects me or Hyung-Tae Kim for taking any of his wonderful character stances in any other way! But as a person that did work in the gaming industry for a few years, This is a clear lawsuit material if indeed it gets chosen, not even for the costume itself but just for the hairstyle.

Still, I congratulate everyone for making it in TOP 10! I am proud of my NA community to have dish out some of the most original concepts! ((Go goo Lover's pride!!))

Dunkleosteus and eitheldin like this.
  4. Wilter

It's like if somebody wrote a text book and put pictures in it without permission and then copied everything from Wikipedia and re-worded it.
    Don't try to defend it.
    It's lazy, it's supremely smug,
    it's NOT OKAY.

SereneDreams likes this.
  5. I'm fine with overpainting, just be honest. I'm less fine with the hairstyle cause it's part of the costume and should be as original as the rest of the outfit.

6. RainnellLynnMitarius

Overpainting is fine as Eitheldin said. Asking the "picture owner" usually does the trick and most artists are pleased when you ask them and also often ask you to show them the finished work. I never had trouble doing it for my own personal work or some friends which Often I show them the pictures to be in sync with what type of position they would enjoy for their character art! I'm not defending anyone I am not calling the true artist bad either ---I mean Kudos you can draw better than me? good but don't be dramatic and call it a tragedy when--- oh my god! 70% of artist do it lol

7. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Most of the complaints I am seeing here is about a hairstyle that was used?

I see the point as moot really, because the hairstyle, even if copied, is not what was submitted.
    You won't / can't get the hairstyle in game. Only the costume "may" become available.

So...if you chop off her head...or put a paper bag over it, the conversation on the subject comes to a close.

Unless the *costume* was plagiarized, then I see no issue. The rest is just show "what the costume would like on a character"

but thats' just my opinion

8. The hairstyle can be part of the costume. Many costumes change the harstyle when you wear them.

9. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Interesting.
    If that were the case, then perhaps there would be an issue.
    So I can see the point there.

To which, I suppose, If the hairstyle was submitted as a part of the costume, then I would see an issue, ...if it were Not a part of the costume but merely an accessory to show off the submission then I would let it pass.

Something theyll have to think about I'm sure. Although I'm sure the dev's will probably take some liberal creative modifications in anything they plan to roll out....minor tweaks here and there... @Avalace ?

eitheldin likes this.
  10. SereneDreams

stella1.png

Vamathi, Andaro and Asterotis like this.
  11. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

right, after taking that into consideration, I also commented about developers tweaking'....

noticing small differences in each picture...so that costumes look similar, but aren't exactly the same. Even in the stella costume shown here, the hairstyle submitted was altered in a small way

Noting that, if the submission did go through, the hairstyle in question, if a part of the submission, would not end up looking precisely like the submitted version. It would be very very similar, probably even too similar, but modified enough so as, at least by Korea standards, not "copied"

These type of things are what cause certain contents to not be available in the US, if the company is hosted in the US, or by a country in the EU under US influence.

For example, in another game, a costume was created in Korea that looked very very (almost identical) to the Zorro costume (a US tv show). Although the costume was released around the rest of the world, because the company hosting the game was office'd in the US, the costume couldn't be released for purchase on US NA servers, because it was "too similar" and the lawyers that were working for the company decided that it was too much of a liability.

So could be interesting how this plays out.

12. If it wasn't part of the costume then there should be a helmet instead.

Edit: True there's a crown but it should be specified that the hairstyle isn't part of the costume then, cause there are costumes with just ornaments in the hair and changed hairstyle. The whole thing is ambiguous.

#52 eitheldin, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  13. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

[​IMG]

14. lel

15. Arudius

I believe the gripe im seeing is people angry at plagiarizing a hair stye exactly without changing it is part of the costume and therefore violated the rules. Not whether or not pa could fix it. Kakao it seems is stating that hair is not part of the costume even though there are 16 or so outfits in game that have unique hairstyles as “helmets”. Even the artist in question went out of his way to draw a side view of the hair labeling it helmet. So it would seem he certainly believed its part of the outfit and so, knowingly plagiarized. Just my observations, not rendering my own opinion.

eitheldin likes this.
  16. RainnellLynnMitarius

IF we would go BEYOND what you guys are asking we should also look into other costumes see if there is any resemblance to any other already made costume right?! I mean I see one in particular that looks ALOT like an Aion concept? did I got bothered by it? No lol ----ain't no reason too, it still different in a way and despite it is still the person own style. Art and how people are seeing "thieving" as artist differs on alot of degree. To take it beyond and further from what people see's ---it somewhat being overdramatic.

Example: Aion
    [​IMG]

Versus the costume showed right now in top ten:
    [​IMG]

17. That's the problem with this kind of contests, it's not easy to be original and you might even unconsciously copy something else. Not easy to judge but when there's money involved then things need to get serious.

Zharigh and SereneDreams like this.
  18. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Then there is the definite line

If Kakao is not accepting Hairstyles as a part of the costume design, then the issue is resolved.
    If they are accepting the hairstyle as a part of the costume design, then it will have to be addressed.

19. RainnellLynnMitarius

Exactly @eitheldin-----Personally I felt this person might have inspired themselves from it. But if you look closely? someone would be able to call it a literally "copy" in its own style. Ain't nothing that hasn't been done and Aion is one of the best MMO's when it comes to costume design. You want a certain type of armor? they surely made it and their designers are AMAZINGLY creative.

Amenra and eitheldin like this.
  20. Riujii

Gogo Oblit!

Najla likes this.