1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got hacked recently, could happen to anyone

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Zebasted, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Zebasted

Lost money in storage, my T7s, gear, and my inventory is filled with junk like small leather elephant armors. Anyone that thinks their password is not secure enough should update it. I sent a ticket in and this post is just awareness so no one else's weekend gets ruined when finally have time to spend on the game. Sad boys.

Akyoshii and eitheldin like this.
  2. AtmaDarkwolf

99.99999% of 'I HAZ BIN HACKZED' are because your downloaded some keylogger thinking it was a 'CHEAT EASY' or someshit, or you tried to 'buy' gold from one of the gold sellers ingame, or you tried to 'hire' leveling services, or any number of things YOU did to 'share' your personal info/login data.

OR..

Your just not very careful and every-single one of your user/pass are the same bloody thing, and, rollabout back to the above, your info was compromised on another website, and those people know u play bdo.

Not actual hacking.

Hacking is actually breaking into your system via coding and bypassing the need for passwords, etc.

Really wish people would stop confusing the two.

3. Shadowfibby

Shadowfibby Tamer 62 NA

Yeah I got hacked recently too, guy threw all my gear away, costumes and important ****. Didn't get a rollback the GM just gave all my stuff back in mail, I assume the game stores all your thrown away stuff like in the recycling bin on your desktop. Posted about it on the forums and got flamed and aggressively accused of cheating lmao. I mean I get the hate on cheaters and exploiters I hate them as much as the next person but pls dont blindly accuse...
    Number 2, I wasn't careful enough yeah but no my passwords are not the same.

4. WastedJoker

WastedJoker Striker 61 EU

Why on earth we don't have 2FA is boggling.

Sibyyl likes this.
  5. Shenya

Firstly, I'd like to say @Zebasted , I'm sorry about your weekend :( Send a super nice ticket and I'm sure they'll fix you right up. @Shadowfibby glad you got resolved.

Secondly, everyone needs to be properly responsible in how they set their accounts up. Don't use an email and password that you've used in other games where you've given your details to someone else. Don't give it out to your best friends, your favorite guildies and be careful even about giving it to your spouse. If you have a falling out....

I doubt even if a keylogger is going to be the cause of being "hacked" unless it was given to, or installed on your system by someone you know. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when people get "hacked", it's because they've given their password to someone. Keyloggers that you get from nefarious sites, aren't looking to get your mmo password so they can come in and mess with your stuff, they're looking for your personal details when you make online purchases, so that they can use them to make money. I mean, I could be wrong, but all those identity thieving types have probably got better things to do with their time than get a game password, downloading and installing 50Gb of game and then go about emptying all your warehouses.

Oh of course another scenario is, when you use a ridiculously easy and cliched password. There's always that.

Still, as @WastedJoker said, it wouldn't hurt to have some security options, as long as they are options. Not everyone wishes to give out any more personal details than necessary, and since we already have an email address registered to our accounts, verifying a code sent to that would be ok. I still want it as optional though, because my IP address gets changed frequently, and I don't miss games where almost every time I logged in, I'd have to go to my mailbox and wait for a code.

Desado and Zebasted like this.
  6. Yukiko1

Yukiko1 DarkKnight 61 EU

We have asked for 2FA for a long time now but they are too busy wasting our money on booze...

7. Scorcher

15 years of MMO gaming not "hacked" a single time. Sorry but i no longer believe in people getting "hacked" without doing something shady/stupid to trigger it.

8. YajStylez

Banks have access to your browser's history, personal ****, and all other crap. I wouldn't be surprised that one can get hacked while being innocent, nowadays.

9. SarahGobbi

The effort it would take to actually hack someone's password would be a waste for BDO, so you didn't get hacked. You most likely got your email/pass compromised by either trying to get third party apps to help you get an advantage in the game, or compromised elsewhere not related to BDO and they got your BDO info as well.

I do believe we should have an authenticator for this game though. Only MMO I have played that doesn't. Thats why you need to be careful what you do on your computer and what you download as well. Especially on the XXX sites ;)

Also dont make your password something simple.... I knew a girl that was a dancer and literally made her password for FB "dancer1" got her account stolen a couple of years ago. Pure stupidity

Zebasted likes this.
  10. fwufs

The more common definition is gaining unauthorized access to a computer/system. Getting the password from outside sources would be still considered "hacking".
    Plus a keylogger would be a "coding" implementation. A large majority of "hacking" is actually just the work of finding out passwords using various methods, or more commonly setting up something without the other person realizing it to give you their information voluntarily. If your goal is to break into a BDO account, it will always be about the password.

I really wish people would stop confusing movies with reality.

Though for the OP, you should run a virus scan, you probably did in all honesty pick up a keylogger from somewhere.

LinaCrysta likes this.
  11. mickey3333

They cannot operate in a way that compromises user privacy without consequences. Plus, if they do compromise banking info, a game will be the target??? And enlighten me on how a bank knows your browsing history or sensitive info outside your banking matter?

As far as I know your sensitive info in bank is industrial-level encrypted. It is fking no joke to leech or "hack" into. Someone with that talent will make millions vanished in a few hours, but let alone virtual assets that worth a few hundred of a random dude in a random game.

12. mafeel

Wait, some random hacker took the time to find your IP, hack your PC, get your BDO credentials, then he took the time to download BDO just so he can process your items and make you sad?
    This smells of a bdo fishing bot, sry, but who the fk will risk going to jail for this unleas he was sure that you "exploited" too and are not too stupid to report it and get baned?
    Also, yep, possible that you didn't do anything wrong, but highly, very highly unlikely.

Hakazumi and SarahGobbi like this.
  13. BBgone

My steam accout got hacked last year ... I don't even play on steam anymore but I wanted to download it because I wanted to speak to an old friend and when I tried to log in I noticed a bunch of games were purchased and my password was changed .

My world of warcraft got hacked once to , I don't even play that game anymore but I still check in the updates sometimes and when I tried to log in my account the password was changed also .

I dont cheat or buy currency but I do use the same password and email for most of my games so if you get your email adress compromised or even if you go on those website that does RMT because you wanna try one of those region locked game you might get hacked. That's what happened to me when I bought a bless online game account.

You don't always have to cheat in BDO to get hacked in BDO ... everything eventualy links together .

CaptainHarlok and ronniejw like this.
  14. Obeah

15. Dalenos

[​IMG]

I haven't been playing games online as long as you have but i never had any issues over the last 5 years either.

Yeah instead coming here and telling us this cough cough story. Unless of course you were doing something shady and don't want devs find out.

PeachSofty likes this.
  16. ronniejw

I've had my WoW account hacked twice in the twelve years I've had my account. Both times it happened when my account was inactive for a few years.

17. ambyentlight

Bladebroques hacked your account with kakaos approval theres nothing you can do about it... sorry least kakao says, just give them your money and they happy :D

18. Zebasted

If it's not hacking I wouldn't know the right word to say instead. Regardless, I blame my poor password setup.

19. Zebasted

Yeah hopefully within a week i'll get my stuff back.

20. Zebasted

All I have is just me saying I didn't do anything stupid like giving my personal information to anyone. It is up to you to believe me, and whether you do or don't, I have nothing else to besides saying this happened to me to support my argument.