1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics and framerate comparison between all presets (including Remastered)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by FluffyQuack, Aug 16, 2018.

1. FluffyQuack

So, I made this a couple of years ago: http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/...aphics-settings-and-their-performance-impact/

I didn't feel like going as in-depth, but I thought it would be nice to see an up-to-date version of this performance test, this time including the Remastered presets. I'm still using the same PC, although I have switched out the graphics card. The specs now are i7-4790k, GTX 1080, 16gb ram. All screenshots are at 2560x1440. I've forced sharpening off in all the screenshots, because screw sharpening! Most of these presets cap out at 144 because that's my monitor's refresh rate.
    I can remember when I got my 1080 I felt like in-game framerates roughly doubled, so I don't get the impression global lab version has done much to improve overall game performance. It would be interesting if I still had the 980 so I could do a direct comparison though.

Looking at settings below Remastered, the graphics have changed a little bit in the last 2 years. Pearl Abyss have changed the LOD settings to show better detail at longer ranges at settings Medium to Very High. Also looks like better shadowing on the foliage, but maybe that's just the time of day difference.

As for Remastered, it looks like it's Very High preset + all of the new rendering features. The LOD settings are the same as Very High. High End mode is now gone from the game. High End was basically the exact same as Very High except that better LOD models were used in the distance. Ultra Mode is similar to this, except it uses better LOD models at an even longer ranges, and it also uses more demanding versions of Remastered rendering features. This makes it pretty good for screenshots, but good luck using it for anything else unless you have a godlike PC.

I did some PvE combat with Remastered (not Ultra Mode) and framerates hold up pretty well. I average around 60 fps during combat, and it's 10-20 higher than that when outside combat.

I really, really hope they add the feature to tweak the various features Remastered has added to the game. It's a bit absurd there are no new options besides those two new presets.

Cascaden, Desado, RageAgainst and 5 others like this.
  2. ambyentlight

Ultra mode was designed to run on the Nvidia 2080TI comeing out on the 20th of this month.

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  3. kakodaimonos

Should do the test again with 1080p Resolution. I bet 90% of the players still use it. So they can compare it better.
    Appreciate it tho. Could not run remastered with my 1070 on 1440p smoothly. :D

EDIT: Sad thing that besides Ultra the rendering distance didn't get improved at all without heavy impact on frames. So the popins will still stay I guess. Any chance you can make a horse speedrun video to show the popins?

#3 kakodaimonos, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. FluffyQuack

Pop-in has looked identical to me. Recording any more footage might be a bit difficult for me as they just released a big patch, and I had a lot of difficulty downloading the lab version to begin with.

5. Nosimo

Nothing changed to reduce pop-in, if anything its more noticable on higher settings from the "increased" shadows.

Dan Hot likes this.
  6. Atron

Sadly yes .... i still dont know why there isnt a setting to set distance on which we render monsters and other non-static crap*?

7. Nosimo

Probably because the client has limitations on how much it can render at one time so the slider wouldn't work properly during seige/node wars anyway. It's very easy to see this, go to a crowded bank and turn on show all pets, move around a bit and watch players magically appear and disappear as the client shuffles around what it renders. This happens with their "optimization" crap off.

Atron likes this.
  8. Raiya Li

2080 not 2080ti. Usually the Ti variant is 6~12 months after the initial launch least the last few times anyway.

9. Kuu

Kuu

That is a very false. The 2 years they've tweaked high-end mode (experimental mode) quite a bit. Only people some completely lacking in attention for detail can make that statement.

At first they just simply maxed out some AF and other settings. It wasn't that noticeable, unless you have an eye for that sort of things. But the later updates to high end mode were very noticeable, and only the blind as a bat player would not notice the changes in high end mode from very high.

Literally the entire lightning engine was giving off a different color palette in high end mode, as well as other post process effects that put more effort into analyzing it.

What you quote is a bdo meme and a stupid one. Some people want to be blind, some people are just blind to detail, and some just have very bad monitors/settings. Since our current build still has high end mode, why not try to actually notice it for once.

But the reality is, the remaster itself was already in place with bits and pieces before the 22nd. Just that an entire shader engine change was impossible.

10. TwilightAngel

The Ultra mode if I remember correctly they stated was more so for pictures and not really meant for game play but if you have a beast pc its doable

11. TwilightAngel

When PA was talking about the Remastered setting they said if you meet the requirements for it players should be around 60FPS. When I tested it same here I stayed around 60FPS during combat. However we will see if it tanks during HEAVY populated cities

12. Nosimo

Funny though, they never mentioned the requirements and I'll bet it's higher than their recommended specs for the game.

13. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Juicey_Lemon Witch 61 NA

Wow the performance difference between my setup and yours is massive.

With a 1950x and a 1080ti. Ultra mode I get 50 to 60 fps, Remastered I get 100 (my refresh rate caps it there)

14. Lemon Crush

Why? Just because remastered and ultra are in the game now doesn't mean recommended specs change as you can still use the old settings.

15. Nosimo

To me recommended specs should be able to run a game at the high end of it's settings at 60fps. When they change high end requirements I think they should give you some idea of whats required to run the game with the advertised visuals, call me crazy.

16. Lemon Crush

Thats your opinion, that has never been true of any game.

Otherwise the recommended specs for every game would be top of the line cards and CPU's not mid range lol.

Currently their recommended is a 970 and an i5 lol 8 gigs of ram... potato computer specs

Even before the remaster your fps with those recommended specs would be lack luster at best.

17. Nosimo

Yeah I know, its still misleading marketing though, everyone doing it doesn't make it right.

18. Lemon Crush

But that is because you make the assumption that the recommended play be a the top end of settings and resolutions which is not realistic.

If every company started saying okay you need a 1080ti and 1950x with 16 gigs of memory and a nvme do you think it would change anything?

19. Kuu

Kuu

You're crazy.

This is shades of crysis. In fact even before the "Can it run Crysis?" meme, recommended system has only ever managed to hit medium specs, of sometimes sub-30fps.

In fact mobile game system recomended requirements are consider minimum requirements these days, given how tough that market is.

The recommended system has never bar- "single setting" games ever produced optimal results since the age of DirectX-3d gaming. Pre-DX gaming was a fair bit more stringent, but then back then 3d was an add-on card.

20. Dringe

After Very High setting the game becomes Bright Desert Online.
    But have to say, the lighting difference between Very High and Remastered is huge, liking it more than I thought I would.

What we really need is Advanced settings with sliders, look at the draw distance on the Ultra settings, I want to be able to set that on other graphic settings. Though pop-ins are sadly still an issue.

KunoIRL likes this.