1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics and framerate comparison between all presets (including Remastered)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by FluffyQuack, Aug 16, 2018.

1. FluffyQuack

I don't know why you have to be so aggressive with presenting your opinion. I tried to compare high end mode right now, but it's been removed from the game. Do you have any screenshots to illustrate your point?

At the very least, the screenshots I took in my original performance guide shows that's how high end mode used to work:
    https://abload.de/img/bd-01-veryhigh-68tqahb.png
    https://abload.de/img/bd-00-highendmode-43s5l61.png

You can tell from those that the only noticeable difference between are LOD on far-away objects.

I've been doing some combat and the FPS does hover around 60, so I can't complain.

2. Kuu

Kuu

I have screenshots of High end mode but not overlapping of very high. But if I'm aggressive, you are also inversely also show a disrespect for people who actually do have an eye for attention of detail, and go "oh this looks different" and propagating a meme that is as I said very false.

the high end mode at the time of "just disabled LOD" was from release 2years ago with a lot of undocumented changes in the span of that (reason it's called experimental mode). Even then it wasn't totally true, as their was changes with AF and other things when you in that mode, and other effects, that are not immediately noticeable.

In your own image comparison. High end mode has softshadows where high very high doesn't.

Those with blind eye to it, and propagating an untrue meme, still think optimization mode is the same for instance, because they can not believe a their hated developer would do anything for the game.

It's like saying all ice cream is the same, kind of post. You just assumed it so because your taste-buds at the time didn't pick up the subtitles.

#22 Kuu, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Diazine likes this.
  3. FluffyQuack

At least I'm backing the stuff I'm saying with screenshots. I'd be interested to see examples of how high end mod has changed in the last 2 years. If you want to convince me, I suggest relying more on concrete proof (videos and screenshots) and less on unnecessary insults. If you have screenshots you're entirely certain you took in high end mode, you can go back to the same area now, wait for the same time of day, and then take a screenshot on very high.

4. Shichi88

Shichi88 Striker NA

Id be interrested to see someone do a test that doesnt have a high end rig. I only have a 960 myself and 8gb ram and right now on high/slightly high its 60fps. Wondering how much of an impact remastered is gonna have.

5. Skyblade

does it have pop ins?

6. Kuu

Kuu

I'm not the only one who has noticed differences in BDO over time, and other posters have actually pointed out the possible technique changed.

I'll use your own screenshot as a example of subtitle differences. It's not the best nor do I know which era you took those screenshot in. It's look more drastic in different lightning, but this is to point out of the classic difference in things they put into high end mode.
    [​IMG]

First you have self shadowing, which the very high at the time of this screenshot did not do, it also uses a completely different type of shadowmapping, as you can see, one is basically a copy and paste of a horse image bitmap, while the other is completely different. The high end mode also looks softer and more natural to light, even though this time of day and area isn't showing it off.

[​IMG]

edit:

also here's one to highlight AA changes in high end mode. From your own screenshot
    [​IMG]
    And ya look at the shadow differences as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#26 Kuu, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Diazine likes this.
  7. Nosimo

OT but some people are speculating both could be released at the same time and a reputable site has leaked pics of an MSI 2080 and 2080ti so this release may be different than others. I'm not going babble on about the reasoning behind it but it's actually pretty sound, I guess we'll see soon enough.

8. Nosimo

I'm not arguing about how it is, I was saying how it should be. Specs listed are currently meaningless so why are they even there? This is how I read them:
    Min requirement: a computer
    Recommended system: a better computer
    It tells you nothing.

9. Kuu

Kuu

I'm not of an authority to say it, but it's thanks in part to nvidia (though ATi and voodoo tried, it was nvidia who dominated) the special API set, and later gameworks or whatever you want to call it and so on special instruction sets.

Basically the GPU (and thus overflowed to CPU) itself becomes something that can change the look and feel of game, not just simply raw power, but beyond that in many areas. So games intentionally made it a selling point like a handoff scenerio that there games will "reach new levels" if you happen to have the hardware, to "you won't get the real thing unless you have the newest hardware".

And the we have the "Can it run Crysis?" era. Which they target for a power level, that isn't even consumer available at the time, to create an instant PR sensation, with everyone talking about it, and "the game to benchmark on". Every big name game after crysis have since strives to become the next "bechmark your rig on our game" idea.

10. Vanadiel

I don't get it. I had to look closely to see the difference. When you play this game everything will move by so fast you will never notice any difference at all with those above examples.

But to get back on track with the remastered edition: those who are thinking it will on average improve their frame rates are sadly mistaken.
    As always these improved graphics come at a cost.
    Makes you wonder if PA would have been better off spending this time, effort and money in improving the actual game play instead of doing a remaster of the graphics.

11. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Juicey_Lemon Witch 61 NA

Except they have been working on all that while working on the remaster..... content has been steadily released in KR for several years, be it QOL features, classes, awakenings, regions, arsha, conquest reworks, progression, combat rework.... all of that has been in the works it didn't stop or get less attention because of the remaster. Our dryed up content has nothing to do with them not making it and everything to do with them holding it back for whatever reason.

Remaster brings a complete engine overhaul. Game play on remastered is noticeably smoother. I am sure this is a combination of things. But the remaster brings alot more then just pretty graphics or post effects. They updated the framework to support faster and more optimized shaders. That is why people like myself testing remastered are seeing a good 80+FPS. Which honestly is only slightly lower than the current live servers fps I get.

Also now that a new generation of GPU technology was announced these graphic changes are going to be even more amazing. The Turing GPU is a game changer just like CUDA was back in 2008. I am willing to bet that with these new GPUS remastered is easily over 120fp at 4k. To give you an idea of how fast they are a current Pascal 6000 based gpu in octane render pulls 400 million samples per second. The new generation turing gpu's are pulling 3.2 billion samples per second. To put that in perspective you can render physically based solutions in real time at 4k 60fps. Unheard of.

Anyways got off on a tangent. It is after all my career and passion... rendering that is.

KunoIRL likes this.
  12. Kuu

Kuu

It depends on your attention to detail and your stress on what is important or eye catching. The screenshot is also a very dated version, I bet, as high end mode was constantly tweaked like everything else in the past 2 years. I play on high end mode because I can reach 70fps outside pvp, so I regularly enjoy the difference between optimal-lowend-veryhigh-highend mode (you do need a certain level of settings to spot stealth for instance, and optimal seems to have more pop-ins related to pvp)

Those shadow techniques may completely where's waldo you, but I noticed it easily, and if I remember right is was a hot item (maybe related to HBAO+ raved)

Self shadow is actually incredible noticeable and beautiful riding in sunrise or sun set in altinova for instance, and in fact part of the reason re-master looks so different, when you add all the other techniques.

Again this is the same argument as the ice cream argument. Just because you can't notice the difference in ice-cream doesn't mean there's no difference, and that everyone will also feel there's no difference in ice cream. Thus certain companies(especially in US) can sell you ice-cream that is legally almost not even cream(vegetable oil and dry-milk powder).

And about their budget focus. Suck it up, this is PA, they're crazy a-holes in terms of graphics. I said this before, people have to be blind not to realize by now they like to throw a big budget on the arts and graphics department. You're buying into their vision, not yours. That's something I respect even if I too disagree.

You can make the same argument about anything like people who make $1000 gaming monitors.

13. Vanadiel

I am for sure not buying into their vision that this game has a 20 year lifespan.
    5 years, maybe.
    For 20 years you will need a lot more than flashy graphics and orchestral music.

Can't believe they spend all this time and effort, not to mention money, on remastering the music score with orchestral music.
    Very few people play this game with music turned on, most turn it off.

14. woots

Only judging from the screenshot, the remaster look like the classic graphic with over exposed light / color, that honestly look very meh.
    such a bad artistic taste.

what mainly irritate me is that thoses guys still doesnt provide detailed graphic setting like nearly all games do since many years now. To really be able to do a graphic setting "a la carte"
    But PA are special snowflake, with them you have to eat their setting like they choosed to shove it deep down our computer throat... That's terribly stupid.

Thoses guys will never learn.

15. von_sch

Same, GTX 1070 here on 1440p and Remastered feels sluggish even though I have 35-40 FPS. The controls feel... rubbery somewhat.

16. Gregorovich

1080ti , i7 7700k, 16gb ram, SSD. Get 47 fps max on remastered. About 18fps on ultra. This is at 4k resolution.

17. TwilightAngel

Well 4k will do this..... Most games on a similar set I have as you I don't hit 60fps all the time at 4k how ever if I do what I think it's considered 2k I do

18. Dynamite Joe

970GTX,Quad i5-3500, 16 GB RAM and SSD, get between 50-60 fps on remasterd but my cpu get cooked! - Cause of the bloom etc issue i switched back to very high

Silowyi likes this.
  19. von_sch

1080p?

20. Dynamite Joe

yes