1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Ocean feedback

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by William Rieck, Oct 24, 2019.

1. William Rieck

We (our guild) spent all day on the ocean yesterday; we have some thoughts. Listed in order of impact.

We love it, all of it, but some things need adjustment.

Resupply costs are very high, 10x of what we feel they should be; and repair costs are negligible.Like they were mistakenly transposed. It feel as though we are being punished for firing our cannons.

An unfavorable current is brutal. Something to consider: it's fun having a nice following current or tailwind but because you are getting to your destination much faster and spend less time enjoying it than you do being very frustrated by opposing winds and currents.

We liked the old spawn better with things mixed together but we get why it was changed. Feels like the candidum spawn needs to be improved; they are very had to find.

Is there really nothing to do with our old blue boat gear? It's going to have little market value. Or did we overlook something?

ETA:
    Rebindable hotkeys for the cannons or move them or something. We all accidentally fired them many times yesterday and at the current cost and supply that really hurts.
    A quick look left and right so you can see where you are firing your cannons would be just swell.
    Clicking on a barter item should open the barter window or show a tooltip where you can find your next destination.

A deploy and retract sails and an anchor hotkey would be really nice too.

#1 William Rieck, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. The RealKuku

This is a great post, this was the same thoughts I had as well, the cost to get rations back is to high. Great idea with the food I just feel like the amount it resupplies should be at least double what they are now. The wind and current coming at you at the same time is to much, almost makes you sit still. Would love to know if the currents change or do they move, if they are always the same a map of the ocean currents would be nice.

Mana_Mafia, Grehm and Factorial like this.
  3. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Thanks for providing actual feedback. About blue gear, you can still equip it on the improved ships and benefits from stats increase.

So far the only thing I tried is fighting the new weak sea monster with an improved ship and it was way more fun than ramming, which had always felt dumb to me. At first the cannon damage area need to get used to, but after a short time you can aim precisely with them.

4. Stabby

Here's my feedback: It sucks. The devs had the opportunity to make something fun. Instead, they went thru great lengths to nerf the fun factor, as they do with all new content. Instead of unleashing us to just go have fun, they ruined it with trivial rules, amount of tradable crates, more time consumption while traveling and a worker system that is limiting. It's the exact opposite of fun. It feels like your parents giving you a new toy but with the caveat that you can only play it for 5 minutes per day. It feels like my parents made an MMO and I'm a child all over again. Horrible vibe, horrible content, obvious greed.

To make it worse, if you group up with a friend to join you on this new content (smh dailies in particular)? Guess what... only the driver of the boat gets any loot instead of some kind of even distribution. So stupid.

#4 Stabby, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  5. William Rieck

On the old blue boat gear, it does go on the improved frigate but once you go beyond that I think it's useless. Yes our aim is improving with practice and the cannons are a lot more fun and effective than ramming. Although it's still cheaper to ram even with the damage it does to your boat, another reason why I think repair too cheap and resupply too expensive.

Silowyi likes this.
  6. oR-Bishop

oR-Bishop Sunspot Valkyrie 62 NA

It's more like they let you play with the toy, waiting patiently until the moment they are certain it's become your favorite, then they snatch it away, toss it on the ground and smash it to pieces.

7. NixZero

a QOL I would really like is an interface for wharf from the sea, like for bartering so you can access it without leaving the ship
    tho bartering interface on some nodes is really hard to access, you have to hit a really small spot with your ship for the "anchor" button to appear

8. Doom Smack

Current/wind:

- Current: would be better if this only gave benefit, but was no penalty for going against.
    - Wind: putting sails up/down is good Im happy with wind mechanics.

I quite enjoy managing the sails and keeping and eye on current/wind, gives something to do while sail. However, no counter or way to negate current makes it a bit annoying and less fun. Wind good, current bad? Also perhaps a visual cue for currents might be nice on map and/or water surface... just a thought.

Agree, so far noticed it costing for me 1.5m to resupply and 250 silver to repair, improved frigate.
    I don't really see a reason for the resupply costs quite high.

noctred, Smileybones and seanas like this.
  9. Depthside

It's almost like they sat around a table talking about ALL of the possible ideas of how to nerf income, and instead of working with one or 2 of them, they did them all at once, resulting in very high costs and very low reward. Essentially we are paying to go to sea. No one plays a game mechanic at an expense unless it results in profit. At the very least cannon balls should cost much less like 10% even, food and crystals should restore much more, like 3-5x more. and/or we should be getting a lot more silver from loot that is only good for selling to NPC.

DC55, Grehm, MoonDance17 and 2 others like this.
  10. oR-Bishop

oR-Bishop Sunspot Valkyrie 62 NA

You know PA is cheap when they give you only 1 energy for 65 character knowledge

Mana_Mafia, DarkBever, Hemuk and 3 others like this.
  11. kimiomoo

I do not like it... the complications of the wind and current make it feels less fun for me. Maybe I am daft, but the indicators confuse the heck out of me. What about GROUP content? This eliminates a fun group content option that we (our Guild) took advantage of almost nightly for an hour or two (sometimes A "three Hour Tour"). Now, I think it would be frustrating to get out to the ocean and attempt to do any Group hunting; waiting for others to catch up, wrong turns when the wind and current mess with you, loot is not worth the cost to repair and supply ship... and don't get me started on how expensive food for sailors is. And now we LOOK at the IMPROVED Sailboat or Frigate. Without spending money in the PEARL shop (a lot of money, I might add), the boat looks like any base boat. What the actual heck people?!? Let's drive our players to another game fast by forcing them to stop doing something they used to love to do in game.

Vorkrunne, seanas, Factorial and 3 others like this.
  12. Yumine

Yumine Mystic 61

bdo.png
    My surprise today. It's very expensive.

13. Motoko_Shi

Motoko_Shi DarkKnight 62 NA

Yes I'm sure the week-old accounts liking each others' posts are the "real" feedback.

14. Motoko_Shi

Eh, more than likely they will make the new content more acceptable as weeks go by, so that they appear to be listening, and they trick people into being more grateful. They wouldn't be the first game company to do that.

15. Silowyi

Silowyi Wizard NA

Resupply needs to go. Sh*tty money sink-unneeded mechanic. Current mechanics are garbage. I really don't see any innovation and most of the feedback from the in-game community is very negative. Some are even considering never touching the sea again unless necessary. Ramming damages your ship so there goes whatever was left of SMH. Don't really see what's to enjoy about the silver sink, money grab content we just got.

16. Arch2k

Arch2k Devil_Monkeys Lahn 63 NA

dont even get me started on this sea coin i mean i understand they will adjust more stuff down the road but thats way too much sea coins to get any more or at least buff the earning of coins
    and the cost of curing ur worker when his sick and or need to feed him the mats needed for thos items r dumb

Attached Files:

Metalharpey and Grehm like this.
  17. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

But they have items in the pearl shop to stop them getting sick or needing feeding so quickly I believe.

Factorial likes this.
  18. Factorial

Hence why so many people see the obvious cash grab as already complained about so aggressively.

DarkBever, Motoko_Shi and MoonDance17 like this.
  19. Motoko_Shi

Feeding sick, hungry stat bars is normally so much fun, you would think ppl would be loving this.

20. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

The real feedback is obviously about how mechanics are either good or bad.

#20 Smileybones, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2019
    NixZero likes this.