1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Ocean feedback

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by William Rieck, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Mellonamin

Being able to make a decent amount of silver with this bartering or killing ocean mobs is more important that you may think and you just downplay its importance, it is true that the ocean comes with its own special currency and shop to use it on but you oversight the following: all the items you can get from said shop are only used to upgrade vessels they have no real silver value, you cant sell the upgraded boats like you would do with a license and once you get all the necesary materials for the vessels the ocean currency becomes useless unless you want to obtain khan heart the hard way wich by the looks of it cant even be sold for silvers so the ocean currency is gated to only one purpose and once you get the top tier vessel wont really net you any increased income on the contrary will net you even more silver loss.

The "cross life-skill" should be an option not an obligation to make it profitable, everything in this game revolves around silver and the progression your character can achieve with it so every activity should bring a decent amount of silver by doing just that, so if a player wants to just sail-barter-ocean grind the amount of silver made should be enough to cover those expenses and bring some gains without the need to waste time cross life-skilling.

If the ocean content is left as it is now being mostly a waste of silver and its special shop useless after the t2-t3 vessels are built it will become just another forgotten content just like Savage Rift, Altar of Blood, Horse Racing wich main issues are exactly the same the Ocean Expeditions is suffering from: waste of time and money making the overall content unprofitable

#181 Mellonamin, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Kazza, Max17, Silowyi and 7 others like this.
  2. Factorial

This is an excellent point.

Just about any activity that is currently a complete boredom-fest will instantly become fun once you make it decently profitable to players. The greatest level of fun you can have in an MMORPG is progress. Progression is nearly directly proportional to silver, practically at a 1:1 ratio minus RNG. And, as stated, silver is the driving force for everything in BDO. Silver is almost end-all. As such, make any content worthwhile doing silver-wise and you have content that players will do on a regular basis.

Right now, sea update feels like a participation trophy: no real value. You do it once and as quickly as possible then throw it away. Too much content in BDO follows this pathetic formula.

Kazza, Max17, Motoko_Shi and 5 others like this.
  3. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Fun is tied to profit, you heard it here folks.

Must be why so many players agree that ramming sea monsters for hours was one of the most unfun activity BDO featured while being one of the most profitable.

Lord_Xenon likes this.
  4. Ireshi

It was an alternative to mindlessly killing mobs on land spots for profit, especially for those who dont like pvp and dont want to participate in sieges. It did had a fun factor in a form of storms, lightning, poor visibility, sudden attacks by ghost ships, and most importantly - the great ocean itself, and a sence of freedom you get while sailing. PA in the past already made sure that this activity does not go overboard revenue-wise by imposing steep taxes on payouts above 500kk, but now they just took it away. It is unclear at this point whether t2 or t3 ships will change it by allowing to hunt candidums/9sharks/rusts at the comparable level of profitability as before the patch by going after 100kk drops, so for now you are stuck with zero incentive for hunting in the seas as they also took away 100kk drops for smaller mobs.

On top of that PA dealt a blow to sea-fairing guilds that invested a lot in setting up an infrastructure allowing fair and transparent distribution of guild-bound loot from sea mobs and maintaing appropriate levels of guild funds to accomodate payouts, which will now simply be eaten away by weekly guild tax. And they just rendered guild galleys totally useless to boot, eliminating what little we had for a group fun.

#184 Ireshi, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

True, however this doesn't backup the massive brain fart that is claiming you need to make profit to have fun.

6. Ireshi

Ideally you should have both, and in BDO game profit is quite important

Nihm and Life2v like this.
  7. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

I totally agree, but it still doesn't prevent players to do some activities because they have fun doing them, regardless of the profit they provide.

8. Ireshi

Oh, absolutely!

9. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

This said, while you made a good point about SMH profits and its consequence, there is another profit incentive in this content with bartering.

Since it's clearly way to early for EUNA to have any educated opinion on it, the question is do we have reports from korean players about bartering income in optimal conditions ( boats with max weight capacity, speed, large crews of levelled sailors, barters only focused into generating silver and not upgrade mats etc) ?

This might bring an interesting perspective to people like you (and me) who dislike relying on grinding mobs for income.

10. chendu

Well at the start of the maintenance I'd just bought a tet urugon, and had depleted all my money, I had like 5m, in 4 days I made 250m by bartering, with some coin exchange.

In the end if you don't spend canon balls and you optimize your road a bit you make quite a lot of money while not spending so much.

I particularly do love the 1>3 barter and usually aim for those, yeah you spend a bit more time coming and going to a port but in the end I have a nice stock of grade 3 and 4 item that I just need to exchange for grade 5 to cash which saves me quite a lot of time down the road, as I can just pop to a port and go directly for the 20m exchange ( or 15 and coins if exchange>100 coins ) ( or 40m exchange cause sometimes you get nice grade 5 for 10m each)

As for the coins, well there's a need now but nothing compels you to get them, in the end when you have the carrack equipped you can just go and exchange the grade 5 for money instead of coins

Andaro and Smileybones like this.
  11. Salminar

I don't mind loosing some money doing sea content. In fact that's what brought me on BDO at first, not this no-brain grinding or the totaly unfair PVP that is balanced for paytowin. (Cause it's balanced for Korea and Russia that have much more cash shop items to help)
    What i loved on BDO was this "little entreprise" simulator you could achieve with contribution, the fact you had so many things to do to progress, even if it was slower than bashing. You could gather stuff to cook, raise your mounts, send workers here or here.

But the fact is over time, all of this became irrelevant as you could have all that was offered in the game faster if you do bashing. Simple example, i did all the cow quests on a daily basis for almost a year, raising strength XP, gathering milk to make tea, and having my contrib up. Then they released Valencia and you could get all three massively spending half the time you would around calpheon. I'm fine with removing grinding, but it was the opposite as those "improved way" were asking you to go level you character and stuff yourself, so grind like hell, to be able to grind less.

And that's really what's bore me here, each time they release something fun, they simply kill it by asking stupid far before being able to enjoy it, or they ruin it with cash shop, that isn't even correctly released in EU/NA cause BDO isn't supposed to be paytowin in those areas. But North-Korean developer Pearl Abyss is too lazy to modify it's game according to it.

This Sea content is simply in the straight line of all of this, each time they do an interesting update they hurry to make something boring like hell to prevent anyone to enjoy it, and in the end you only have a game full of farming bots that do not even are looking for fun. So yes we are in North Korea on BDO and i really don't like it.

PS Also : I bought a frigate to be able to go out with two friends and hunt monsters, it do not happen much, but it's part of the fun, so seeing that all the upgraded ships allows you to hunt alone is nice, none allow you friends to use canons at all. So i need to stick to my frigate to go hunt with friends in a MMO ..? No guild, no team activities? Are you serious?

#191 Salminar, Oct 27, 2019
    Kazza likes this.
  12. gatsupl

I will just drop this here as well. Figured this **** out. Wonder what you guys think about it.

This whole sickness system is designed around MTX in F3 shop to heal your sailors. It serves no other purpose.

It is esspecially annoying and time wasting mechanic:
    1. Your sailors may get sick if you explore/suply.
    2. They can get sick if you forget to feed them. (thats why checking HP is designed to be annoying)
    3. They will get sick 100% of the time after you remote collect your ship.
    4. Not "p2w" item for healing is a chore.
    F3 is easy fix to deliberately introduced annoying AF problem - aka FU give me Money D:<.

Solution:

1. Pls never ever use explore/supply.
    2. Keep track of your sailors hp.
    3. Don't take your sailors if you plan to use Traveler's Map (remote collect your ship afterwards)
    4. If possible just dismiss sick sailors (low lvls can be easly replaced anyway)
    5. PLS PLS PLS DO NOT BUY F3 HEALING CRAP EVER - tell them to FK OFF

Sail safe. :)

#192 gatsupl, Oct 27, 2019
  13. Andaro

Ambassador

Just a quick note...
    As someone said "there's nothing in the Coin shop except ship upgrade"....and thusly "why bother for sea coins"...

I will say this and elaborate no further.
    Because it is an NPC shop, in the blink of an eye they can put things in it that completely crush that argument, and leave you bawling like a baby when it happens.

14. gatsupl

Crow Nest Items 01.jpg

15. DC55

"in the blink of an eye" yet it will take months for them to add a better loot drop on SMs to make it where we can actually make silver instead of losing it.

16. Lord_Xenon

The problem is not the profit - okay I understand when something is 2M instead of the 20M you could make - but some(times) when something like 18M get introduced that isn't on par(or even bypass) their 20M they can make they jump to 's* content why added?' which I have to question their 'fun' factor etc. Some feel like they have an excel table live instead of playing a game(where you can make 'dumb' decisions etc. to have fun your way).

Can... sadly we have to judge now on the content of what it have. For other things(that go beyond min-max/one-time) we can only dream.

Kazza likes this.
  17. Motoko_Shi

Motoko_Shi DarkKnight 62 NA

I agree that silver is prettymuch the goal of the game, and that's a problem. I just said it in another thread but I'll say it here: the game needs to move toward multiplay/player-driven opportunities, not toward more insular single-player ones. There is already barely any interaction. A casual, pickup RvR system with moderately generous rewards would be a good place to start. It's like the only thing they can imagine is the grind. I'm not even being snarky when I say they need to hire a good game designer to work in some kind of organic, viable player-driven system-- if it can't be a part of the main game, well, at least some mode that hooks into it somehow. I think Nodewars/RBF just feels inaccessible to most people and that's why Shadow Arena was popular. I don't have the answer but I can see the shape of what's missing.

Player-driven content is needed or really the game is not likely to age well.

Kazza and Factorial like this.
  18. Schinrah

Sure they could, would they even bother to think about it if no one on the various media channels complains about it? Pretty doubtful. So should they add sth. it will be due to people having complained long enough for them to realise they need to.

So much for "crushing that arguement". This company has grown lazy as hell since I started to play it was a gradual downwards trend. They occassionally make some QoL changes that are great like the daily EXP scrolls, but generally speaking all "major" content updates have gotten worse and worse.
    At the same time their monetization has increased at an unbelievable speed. Sorry, but if they want our money, and more and more of it to boot, they could at least invest more time and care into their content upgrades.

That lousy low effort Epheria Skin alone costs more than most full size content addons in other mmo's, least the playerbase could expect for that is some proper content and not just a variety of new mechanics designed to make room for even more macro transactions.

19. Mellonamin

Assumption over assumptions and only look on the "potential" right? because waiting and looking for potential is all Black Desert should be: a wait until it eventually may possibly become good and AFK until it does. It is a real shame for our comunity "Ambasador" who is supposed to collect the feedback of the players regarding certain aspects of the live server actual content that needs some adjustments to summit it to the developers and maybe press on or propose for a change or tweaks based on the feedback of the players instead he thinks everything is fine and keeps daydreaming on the potential of how having players walk while playing instruments so they can form marching bands is more important than keeping core content relevant.

In the blink on an eye the sea monster hunting got smashed into oblivion and yes left me bawling like a baby because a once nice content to do amongs friends and guildmantes became reduced to nothing.

Kazza, seanas, LucidKill and 2 others like this.
  20. Motoko_Shi

Motoko_Shi DarkKnight 62 NA

But he said one day if I wait long enough my class will get a rework! Eventually! Perhaps!

Kazza and Silowyi like this.