1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Ocean feedback

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by William Rieck, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Suawoy

Generally I got invested and enjoy content. I do not plan any cash shop purchases though. Design is more fun and PA should keep momentum and give it more love. Currents and wind visibilty on mini map linked to sailing skill, better targeting and all these shortcuts mentioned in OP needed badly. Many people may rage but seas are alive now more than ever.

VasilisD likes this.
  2. Andaro

Ambassador

Actually sea and wind currents on the 2D minimap would be cool

William Rieck likes this.
  3. Suawoy

I'd say it would nicelly immerse with sailing skills. Mo' experienced sailor more sensible to conditions.

Ps. Unless i'm mistaken sailor management is only avail from wharf at taken out ship. That is simply bad design.

4. DC55

Give a few weeks, all those that are Oooing and Awwwwing that were never on the sea before the release will be back on land just as before.

5. William Rieck

After a lot of time on the water now I have observed the current/wind mechanic seems poorly implemented. I don't just mean I don't like it, it seems unpredictable and arbitrary in it's effects.
    Some facts about ships and sailing: Ships have pointy bows for a reason, current should affect you less going upstream than down.
    Ships can sail nearly directly into the wind, Bernoulli's principle, and we have known how to sail into the wind for thousands of years. we should have a much broader angle of advantage from wind. Perhaps replace raise/lower sails with "adjust sails".

Thelemna likes this.
  6. William Rieck

Also for $50 the ship cosmetic should be dyeable.

Purr, hightech and Platinia like this.
  7. Suawoy

I get it's your opinion. My adventure with BDO is since 2016. With few wtf's in way. I don't expect too much, I take fun in small things, do it my way and believe me it works. For me ofc.

8. Lord_Xenon

I don't know if other had played games with seacombat etc. but when I remember back when I played Patrician II or Port Royale II, it was totally different than this game. While they are singleplayer and it was seacombat, it was easy to understand what to do and what to avoid to sail good/use the mechanics. Especially the speedfactor was something very interesting. Here I sailed from point A to B in a straight line(before patch and of course not through islands etc.) and I still do the same - more or less - after this patch, because I have no freaking clue how the things are affecting my ship. Don't go against the current - okay, but for that I would need a current map(when such a thing exist and they are static), but even then I don't know how those are affecting my ship. I mean if it's a weak one, I could sail against it and be faster at my destination than going around unfavourable ones. Same for the wind. Do I need to fold my sails yes no? This comes all because there is no speed indicator(okay the orange bar???) but that is nothing reliable. I mean my ship has like 110% speed and my bar isn't even half filled with both current and wind support so I don't know what it is like in different scenarios and what would be the best. In Port Royale II ships had 3-14 knots speed - okay the games had no current I think - that mean going against the wind directly would slow you down to min speed and to max when going with it. But here? I don't even know what my max is! I don't even know how the wind - especially from different angles etc. and different speed affect my ship. I would be happy to see some arbitrary number I can follow than an awkward bar(if it really display your 'speed'). Like having 22 knots speed max with 110% speed/whatever so when I go against a weak wind I would still go like 18-20 knots. Folding would bring me nothing in terms of speed when I use it under such condition etc. And when I get a good wind in the back, then I would go up to 30 or more. While currents is a bit more difficult, I visual display is a must. While I'm not so into nautics, you normally see the flow of the current at the water surface(at least when you look at rivers etc.). The stronger it is, the faster the water flows etc. While in sea it would be more waves etc. That way + a better speedindicator would make real decisions going around or with currents possible. So it feels more like nothing. For me at least.

Factorial likes this.
  9. Amirite

I just had to...

[​IMG]

Purr likes this.
  10. Grizabella

Have you met the Upgraded Epheria Sailboat? It has 2 cannons per side and fires manually.

11. OnlyLAGcanKILLme

How about better reward for Great Ocean content? I don't feel like sailing for mediocore reward.

12. Jannanomana

Jannanomana Witch 62 EU

the rewards are actually better then old SMH.

i afk bartered a bit and got 4 x 5 million pieces in like 30 minutes. so 20million in 30 min... thats insane! even better then shadowarena was.

13. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

You can make what, 40-60m an hour at Gahaz? So slightly worse than Gahaz, but you have to put up with ship and sailor upkeep, sea mechanics, having a decent boat with good gear to get through the sea in a reasonable timeframe? Yeah, sure. Besides, no one is going to trust your, like, time frame observations. Stop spreading misinformation. I bet you don't even account for rations it took to sale there, or the actual time it took you to sale to the first barter location, then the next, or the initial investment to buy the barter pieces.

That aside, I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring: Great Expedition is bad. They tacked on more inconvenience to previous sea mechanics to cash in, while nerfing previous income into the ground to force you into this new system. It might be more fun for some people who like the simulation crap, but for me, it's making things more of a pain in the ass than before now when I just want to go sea fishing, or travel to an island for whatever reason. With rations, ships become more of a silver sink that just isn't worth it.

14. gaeasmom

I think the point Salminar was trying to make... maybe they should have phrased it '2 sets'... is that you now have to choose between sailing with friends and not. With only 1 *set* of internal cannons on the improved sailboat, for example, I can shoot like crazy from the wheel and that's super convenient, (though could be way improved upon), but at the cost of taking my friends / guildies to go kill stuffs.

I did not realize that I would be gaining the volley ability at the cost of losing the external cannons for my friends. Thus I find myself making a dash to build a frigate and gear so that I can chauffeur peeps out to Vell this Sunday, like I have for months. And speaking of Vell, did anyone go out with an improved sailboat or frigate last Sunday? Wondering if the volley can even reach him or you'll just end up hitting ships in your line of fire.

All in all I can see potential in the new boats and content... just really think they missed the mark big time. Again.

15. N8mu

Frigate or saiboat ? :(
    as I understand it, if you build a frigate, then a trading galleon will not come out of it. Only combat. But what's the point? A merchant ship of the third rank has 40 slots and a battle one 25, in fact it will be problematic to engage in trade / barter ... I am at a loss and I do not understand which way to choose.

16. chendu

So about Oquilla's Eye water spout... what's the deal ?
    I chanced upon once and thought I deducted the timer since it's supposed to be every 3 hour but.. is it like the boss used to pop ?
    and after the spout you have a 3 hour CD ans a window open ?
    Or is it that it can spout any time during the 3rd hour ?

17. gaeasmom

Guess it depends on what you're after. I have not yet tried my hand at the whole trading thing. Personally, I'm building my frigate because I need something to shuttle peeps out to Vell every week. Upgrading my sailboat took that away from me.

I've had all the mats for frigate for ages... just was lazy about the processing. With the new stones, it's super fast!

Just still wondering how Vell is going to be regardless. I know my sailboat last Sunday (before my upgrade) was getting hit a lot by other boats... not sure if peeps were being cheeky or if that's a result of the new volley.

18. Flesh007

You pay for the cannonball. Price 1 cannonball - 10k as before. Your ship has 120 cannonball. 120 cannonball - 1.2kk. What is the problem?

19. Doom Smack

You can trade with frigate. I would suggest both, but if only one then the frigate. You will want as much speed as you can get and its weight capacity isn't far shy of the sailboat. Then of course its also better for combat. It all also (and ultimately) depends of course on your budget and own situations/plans.

Magiabarelli likes this.
  20. Grizabella

THAT makes way more sense. Agree fully that the cannons that are currently fired while sailing should have an option for self or friend use.

Kazza likes this.