1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Ocean feedback

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by William Rieck, Oct 24, 2019.

1. DC55

How do you make the silver you need in the game? Run around in circles killing the same mobs over and over again? Make 30 to 60 million silver and hour? So why is it those of us that like sailing and made our silver sea monster hunting, are now only allow to lose silver an hour due to cannonball cost and repair costs? That's the problem, you can still improve yourself the way you like to, we can not.

2. William Rieck

Also if you hit a boat (rather than hitting near it) you do no damage; this needs to be fixed. This has always been a bug but no one cared because everyone rammed. Now its a big deal.

3. gatsupl

Question!

Just why barter window does not look like this? D:<
    Why do you insist on annoying us players? :O
    The sadness is real :(

Level 5 Observatory Report.jpg

Eternal2nd, Flesh007 and Mana_Mafia like this.
  4. v.klishev

v.klishev Striker 62 EU

PA's UI team are just extremely incompetent and out of touch. I'd be surprised if they get a single thing right on their first try.
    We have some sorting options, but they barely make sifting through the barter chains any better.

MoonDance17 and JM like this.
  5. William Rieck

More suggestions.
    Would making sea monsters party loot be a good thing? Seems so to me.
    Also the guy that picks up the sea monster loot gets the EXP, which also sucks.

6. Mana_Mafia

I've never done any serious sailing before this content update. I'd been to Port Ratt and back twice to do some underwater gathering and to get knowledge but that was it. Since this update I've barely managed to get my dark rifts done or tend my farms because I'm spending all of my time at sea with guildmates every evening and having a lot of fun on my Improved Sailboat.

I think there are some brilliant parts of this update. Similarly to what the lifeskill mastery update has done it gave a subset of players that don't typically grind and that aren't the most pvp focused a long term goal and a new way to progress their accounts. Building a Carrack (Valor) is a new goal of mine, but first I'll need to construct an Epheria Frigate. I love what it seems to have done to the cooking market and many of the resources acquired through worker empires that sat previously unsold for incredible lengths of time. This update is creating the artificial demand (through destruction of items / item sink) that I felt was necessary for economic health. Absolutely brilliant. It's clear a lot of thought went into the new bartering system.

The new quest line to quickly powerlevel new sailors to Skilled 1 so they have access to the mandatory Breezy Sail skill? Brilliant. This was the main reason I never started sailing in the first place. Doing the Velia/Epheria/Ratt dailies was a massive chore before. The new rate of xp acquisition and CP from all the repeatable quests is very nice too.

I'm having fun with the currents/winds system too. I never sailed much before but the ocean is quite large and I imagine it was pretty boring with nothing to focus on for so long. I'm constantly looking down at both of these figures and trying to maximize my sailing efficiency by taking them into consideration so i'm more actively engaged when navigating around than I expect I might otherwise be.

Having said all that I have a few suggestions:
    • Please add new appearances for the Galleass and the Caravel. I totally understand only minorly reworking the Frigate and Sailboat skins for their improved versions but these other ships are entirely new and by no means trivial to acquire. The Carrack looks awesome but people will be either settling with these lesser vessels or using them for a long time. It's very disappointing they look the same as the Frigate and Sailboat currently.
    • The new sailboat skin is very expensive and is really aggravating players that are trying to enjoy the new content even more than usual due to my previous point. It feels duplicitous adding this new ship skin at a time where many players are excitedly toiling away to create these new ships only to discover the new ships are indistinguishable from previous iterations.
    • Please add a way for us to dye certain parts of the ship. The sails in particular.
    • The cost to refill ship stamina/cannonballs is a little high and the cost to repair ship durability is trivially low.
    • I feel like sailors weigh too much.
    • The bartering system gives absolutely 0 trade xp which is kind of a bummer and doesn't make too much sense.
    • Please add a hotkey for furl/unfurl sails.
    • An option to "destroy" or trash items being carried by our ships while we are at sea would be appreciated in case you accidentally skip the warning prompt while bartering and overload your ship very far from a wharf. This has happened to me several times now and was extremely unpleasant each time. This is an obvious oversight that can be easily corrected.
    • I think it'd be great if we could zoom out a little bit farther from our boats so that we can have an easier time using our cannons and navigating.
    • I feel like Margoria could do with a few more monsters. It usually takes me quite some time to encounter a Candidum and a Nineshark for my daily Oquila quests. Add additional Margoria treasures as well for some variety.
    • The Ocean could do with 1-2 PvP objectives.
    • The Ocean could do with additional hunting mobs.
    • I gotta say it's more than a little disappointing that Port Ratt was left completely untouched by this content expansion.

Thank you for the enjoyable content update. I've not yet fought Khan but I expect to soon. I'm looking forward to even more sailing content in the future like the possible naval battleground that has been mentioned before.

Edit: I almost forgot. THANK YOU for adding the "call boat" feature and granting us the ability to double click the boat icon to mount the helm directly for when boats are stacked up in wharfs. This is a true life saver.

#266 Mana_Mafia, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Hemuk, Cmdr Thrudd, Suawoy and 10 others like this.
  7. Hiperi0n

What about the weight limit?, two tier 4 items (4M) and you are already full, you need to unload every time, it's annoying. And don't be overweight, because you will move like a turtle

Nattia likes this.
  8. William Rieck

I wish I had posted this and you had posted something better. All I would add, and restated from what I posted above, is move cannon fire from mouse to 'Q' and 'E' or make it shift+mouse click or let us set our own; and fix cannon damage to boats (they don't do damage on a direct hit).

Mana_Mafia likes this.
  9. Dahlaine

There is one big issue with the expansion. Hunting sea monsters is not only unprofitable. Now it costs money to go there and kill. It costs more to recover ship supplies than you can get from a monster. I'd consider it logical for sea monster hunting to be an alternative to grind as a way of obtaining silver in game. Instead it is a gold sink.

I go to Margoria, kill a Candidum and get one shell worth 409k
    I return to refuel and it costs me over a million
    Just why?

Apart from that, not truly related to the update itself, but still. Make ships parked in Velia, that are unused for more than 5 minutes, automatically checked in to the wharf manager. If player's wharf is full they should be marked as destructible for other players so they can sink them.

10. chendu

I'LL also add,
    a rework to the the breeze crystal would be nice, at the moment the green one restore 2 canon balls while the blue one only restore 8 which is not enough for one Carrack volley
    make it so they restore Volley number instead, 2 volley from the green one and 5 for the blue one like this whatever boat you're using there is value to use the crystal
    ( so a sailboat would recover 4 canon balls with a green crystal, a frigate 8 and a carrack 18 )
    cause price of cannon balls stays the same for every boat and become less and less interesting to use I sincerely don't see a point to a combat carrack knowing each volley will almost cost me 1m (0.9m / volley as it's 10k per canon ball and carrack as 9 of 'em)
    It's not worth it for PvP, and it's not worth it for sea hunting since monster won't cover for the expanse

Edit:

I also took a look at the ship part on the db, the sailboat/frigate parts have the same stats as the caravel/galeas part ... this need to change ASAP cause same as before I don't see a point to update my frigate to a Galleass since the only thing updated is the space and cabin... and putting more than 2 sailor on a boat isn't worth it
    worst thing being I'll had to remake the blue gear before it's up to par

#270 chendu, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Mana_Mafia likes this.
  11. Dahlaine

Another thing: I can't rebind the keys to shoot ship cannons and the fact that they are bound to LMB/RMB makes them shoot each time I alt tab back to BDO.

12. Mana_Mafia

This is a good idea, nice thinking.

Shouldn't it recover 2 for sailboat, 4 for frigate and 9 for carrack though? A "volley" only comes from one side at a time.

I knew that recovering cannonballs on a frigate and carrack was going to be expensive but I didn't realize it was going to be that expensive.

I actually haven't even looked at gear yet because I've been fixated on the upgrade materials for the boats themselves, but if this is true it definitely needs to change. The new gear is not easy to make but it has the exact same stats as the pre-existing gear?

13. Mellonamin

Wouldnt be better and easier to make them replenish a % of the total payload like they used to do with power something like green crystals 10% of the total payload and blue one 30%? that way would be effective on all boat types

Galleass comes with 600 rounds capacity aswell and its cannon dmg multipliers were supposed to make it dmg much better than t1 but by the looks of it is broken atm

Magiabarelli and gaeasmom like this.
  14. chendu

Wouldn't it be too pitiful to only recover one volley by using an item ?
    As for the gear :
    +6 Zafina Cannon
    +6 Mayna Cannon

There's a difference on other stat, and I'm assuming that the x4 multiplier on the cannon is for the number of cannon ball flying, if not my mistake.
    But the rest of the gear don't help much, only the prow give speed , which translate in a great % speed loss

That's basically what I said.. I just didn't bother with the % conversion ( it's way too late/early in the night/morning for me to be willing to do math)

15. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

One aspect of the update that got overlooked so far is the positive consequence of bartering on the economy: many unsellable mats like wolf skin are now popular again.

This is far from the first time that Pearl Abyss releases new content that relies on unpopular mats and make them relevant again.

Magiabarelli and Rising_Chaos like this.
  16. NixZero

to create a low level craft item sink was the main focus for this expansion imho

warriors likes this.
  17. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Clearly not, the main point of this content is keep players busy for a while, while the market consequences are a rather nice side effect.

zhagsten likes this.
  18. NixZero

you arent thinking like a game designer, keeping a flux of people doing low level activities (in this case gathering, cooking and alchemy for characters with low skills, the easier to get nodes etc.) is relevant to maintain the economy sane.
    if only higher level items sells new players are less likely to start doing lifeskills and to feel relevant

for eg bartering requires vinegar and the basic bloods, which are stuff people mass produce to level up their skills at low levels and generally are a money sink for new plaers as they wont sell

Magiabarelli and Rising_Chaos like this.
  19. WAT?

Please fix the D-sync you kinda already fixed before this terrible patch.

Teleporting boats and SM are not fun to kill....

Currents are too strong even with a 190 wind pushing forward a 50 current wind pushing back i was at a literal stand still...... currentToOP.jpg

Stamina on boats are super nerfed whats up with that?

Gotta take out the dog -- auto path around islands pre-margoria -- hope you like invisible walls and sailing straight into islands! :)

like bartering? hope you like to get to 150+ to even see a change in the fetch items or more variety in greater quantities

thumb.jpg
    this content needs polishing how'd you guys f* this up so badly when it was announced so long ago?

Can't seem to come out with new content with out breaking already semi "fixed" areas of the game like D-sync

20. gatsupl

20191102164102_1a.jpg

Wait WHAT?

After upgrading Galleass to Carrack I will lose 4 Blue Items +10 (weeks or months of progress) and will be left with Carrack without ANY items?

SERIOUSLY?
    That should be illegal :O

Actually where is even the gear for Carrack? Can't seem to find anything anywhere.

#280 gatsupl, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019