1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Guide] Set Black Desert Process Priority automatically to high without extra program

Discussion in 'Guides' started by quitscher, Jul 10, 2019.

1. quitscher

quitscher ChyChan Witch 63 EU

This guide will show you how to set the "Process Priority" to high automaticly every view minutes after the start of BDO.(EDIT: Also shows how to kill the "CoherentUI_Host.exe" process). Will give you some extra FPS in game, if it runs in higher priority. Especially if you have other programms running, like a webbrowser or discord.
    I accomplished this without any extra program like "Prio". For me this programs didnt work very well and I didnt want to have many extra programs running in the background anyway.

Sorry for my english, aint the best ;)

I use a little "Powershellscript" and the "Windows Task Scheduler". You also need to be the system administrator for creating the "Task" or to execute the script on its own.

First there needs to be a powershellscript created. Just create a ".txt" file and save it as "PrioHigh.ps1" file. I saved it under documents in the BlackDesert Folder. If it dosnt work for you, there are tones of guides online for that.
    The content of the script needs to be only this 3 lines:
    Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "BlackDesert64.exe"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(128) }
    Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "CoherentUI_Host.exe"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(64) }
    Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "xcoronahost.xem"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(64) }

If you want to kill the "CoherentUI" process you can also add this line: (keep in mind that disables some features of BDO, like the dice-roll)
    Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = "CoherentUI_Host.exe"' | foreach-object { $_.Terminate() }

This script itselt should work already if you run it as administrator. (BDO needs to run for the script to work)
    You can check it in your Taskmanager. http://prntscr.com/od07tf
    It should be on high (hoch) in my case after running the powershell script.
    You can add a second command in a second line as well. For instance you can set the "currentUi" process to low priority.

Now to automate the script you need to add it in the "Windows Task Scheduler". Open windows search and type "taskschd.msc" to open it. To create a new task click "Action" > "Create Task"
    Here is how to Configure the Task:
    ---Generel----
    >Name: Insert a Name you want
    >click Change User or Group: Type "System" > Check Name > OK
    >check "Run with highest priveleges"
    >Configure for : Win 10
    ----Triggers----
    >New
    >Begin the task: "At log on"
    >Deley task for: 30sec
    >Repeat task every: 5min
    >For a duration of: unlimited
    >tick Enabled if it isnt
    >click OK
    -----Actions-----
    >New
    >Action: Start a Program
    >Programm/Skript : "%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe"
    >Add arguments: -executionpolicy bypass -file "C:\Users\Manuel\Documents\Black Desert\PrioHigh.ps1"
    (at "-file" add you Path to the script not mine ;) ) (dont forget the ".ps1" at the end)
    >click OK

Now save the trigger with clicking OK on the bottom.

Now the trigger is showing up in the task scheduler. http://prntscr.com/oczxil
    With rightclick "Run" you can run it. It will run itself after login into windows if you restart and stuff.

Now the powershellscript should run every 5 minutes. If it dosnt change the priority right away, wait 5 minutes and check if it changed.

This RedditPost shows many ways to improve your game performance and my guide is an little extra to that.

Here is a befor and after Youtube video with all optimisations mine and from the RedditPost above.

Hope it works for you as well.

#1 quitscher, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 64 EU

this works just fine, easy to configure and forget about it forever. ;)

(i dont see downsides of using it, and its way easier for majority of users to setup)

quitscher likes this.
  3. quitscher

I tryed it as well, didnt work for me. Dont know why.

Its just another way to do it, if you dont want another program doing it for you.

#3 quitscher, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

I'd like to know in which regard are we talking when we say priority here.

Is BDO prioritized now on the computers ressources like GPU, CPU?
    Or does it also affects its priority on lets say internet traffic over your computers network card?
    Like for example when im running a download on steam with unlimited bandwidth while also playing BDO.

quitscher likes this.
  5. quitscher

As far as I know, it only prioritizes the CPU usage.

This guide also talks about network optimisation, and Step 3 in the "Ping and Latency" section talks about reserving 20% of the network bandwidth.

#5 quitscher, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  6. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

Also what i found is a software called netlimiter which allows to limit bandwidths for other software. Could be interesting to pick up.

7. quitscher

I used a program like netlimiter bevor, but it adds a bit more latency. Luckely I dont need that kind of stuff, have good internet.
    For better Ping you can also try WtFast. Can improve you in game ping. (wont help in regards of bandwidth limitation)

8. quitscher

EDIT Mainpost: added Video comparison on the bottom.
    EDIT Mainpost: added CoherentUI command to set to low priority

#8 quitscher, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. quitscher

EDIT Mainpost: added CoherentUI kill command
    EDIT Mainpost: added xcoronahost.xem command to set to low priority