1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anybody else client launcher suddenly gone digitally unsigned?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Nessuno, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Nessuno

Since the Black Desert Online Launcher.exe was updated to v1.0.2.8 (last august 30th patch) it lost, at least for me and for a few other people, lost its digital signature by Kakao Games Europe B.V.

You normally can see this when you launch the game and windows UAC pop up to ask you if to run the file, requiring elevated rights.

It normally should look something similar to this
    [​IMG]

(don't mind the language I've just found the 1st image on internet, will make one screenshot myself one day, promise)

Instead now it looks like the yellow coloured window in this other example
    [​IMG]

displaying "Publisher: Unknown".

I've made a ticket and a post in the Tech Support forums:
    https://community.blackdesertonline...uncher-exe-suddenly-digitally-unsigned.49272/

but still I don't get if my is one of a few isolate cases or if this is widespread and if it is normal or not.

So i'd ask you:

1. if you can check your if Black Desert Online Launcher.exe is displaying the same behaviour (being unsigned)
    2. if you if you can compare its size and hashes with the ones I've put in the Tech Support post and post the results in your comments to this thread or better the tech support one.
    Thank you!

Q. What does it mean if the file is digitally not signed?
    A. It means that we are not certain the file is authentic, because we cannot verify its source, and could be as well a malaware attack

Instructions:

You can see the file size by right clicking on Black Desert Online Launcher.exe file and selecting Properties in the context menu:

[​IMG]

You can see the file hash by any means you like, I used a small utility called HashTab which will add a tab to the window explorer file property window called "File Hashes", and you can copy them from there (only SHA1 is enabled by default but you can tick or untick many different hashes in its config)

[​IMG]

#1 Nessuno, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. prymortal

prymortal Sorceress 61 NA

Nope,
    Would help if windows version was menchioned.

but if i were you i'd look into antivirus & rootit software scans & Update windows, then UNINSTALL BDO & then reinstall BDO
    (Special note after uninstalling delete this folder manually: C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\BlackDesertOnline)
    Download the latest installer: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/ & https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Your launcher is fine according to your image. Doesnt need to be signed! & wont be Signed! For NA/EU
    Only the KR client is signed & needs to be (maybe RU/JP./TW but cant confirm)
    na.jpg NA
    kr.jpg KR
    Just to show you what i mean

I'm going to assume your file system is NTFS or FAT32.... NTFS is what you want it as. reformat if needed.
    Windows explorer > right click on drive, propertys. Box will have file type: up top.
    BTW if you are using the file system REFS (file system more for servers currently, But windows 10 will be updating to it Eventually) it'll cheak the hash everytime & COULD! cause issues like this. Although unlikely..........that said.....

also Control Panel\System and Security & cheak your UAC settings.

#2 prymortal, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  3. WastedJoker

WastedJoker Striker 61 EU

UAC in 2017.....

4. Nessuno

Thanks for your answer. Have KIS update and running, did a rootkit check with no positives, submitted the suspicious launcher to virustotal for analysis same with no positive results. At least your file size check with mine so it looks like they forgot to sign the file before releasing it.

Please note that it is not as you say, because all the previous versions of the launcher of NA/EU client were digitally signed, I still have the previous version (1.0.2.7) and it is indeed signed.

PS: I've already did a full reinstall, 1st thing it did it was to redownload again this god forsaken unsigned launcher.

Attached Files:

#4 Nessuno, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Tacu

Mine came up as Unknown Publisher this evening too, didn't really think too much of it until I saw this thread :)

6. Nessuno

Yeah people seems to not have even noticed it :/

7. Adama

Same here: Publisher - Unknown
    Version 1.0.2.8

Funny side note:
    Copyright: Daum Games, All Rights Reserved
    :D

Nessuno likes this.
  8. Nessuno

9. GamePois0n

GamePois0n PootyPoot Ranger 61 NA

scan your entire system with anti virus just in case, you should do that if you notice anything thats not normal about your computer.

try repair the game, if that doesnt work i can upload you mine launcher exe file

10. Nessuno

I already did everything you wrote above about the game, and my system, but above all that's not what I've asked for in the OP.

If you read it or if you went reading the thread in the Tech Support forum as well (which is not written in IT for dummies like this), you'd find that I've already done all you suggested and that

What I ask is only:
    1. if you can check your if Black Desert Online Launcher.exe is displaying the same behaviour (being unsigned)
    2. if you if you can compare its size and hashes with the ones I've put in the Tech Support post and post the results in your comments to this thread or better the tech support one.
    Thank you!

#10 Nessuno, Sep 2, 2017
  11. Smaxx

Smaxx Smaxx Maehwa EU

Exact same hash here, so it's not just you or your installation and reinstalling the game is just a waste of time and internet bandwidth. It's a problem on Kakao's end, either some development pipeline issue or some potentially malicious code sneaked in.

Also why is the Copyright file info field still listing "Daum Games"?

Nessuno likes this.
  12. Nessuno

Thanks for feedback, can't say, I'm afraid we have to wait for a statement from them... @GM Horizon any news?

13. Prasao

Same unsigned here to