1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response Hello, potential new player here

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by Zeeko, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Zeeko

When I first heard of this game I was actually quite interested, my friend knew I was into the MMO genre and asked me if I ever heard of BDO. Long story short that was awhile ago, and I've been sitting on the question "Is it worth it?" since then. I've heard of P2W features in this game, and I'm concerned that it would ruin my experience overall if someone can put in less hours than me but in turn get better rewards. If I like the game I'm playing the grind is almost invisible to me, that's why BDO caught my eye. Have they fixed optimization in terms of the large scale guild battles? A review once said that the optimization was horrible in comparison to other games that allowed hundreds of people on the screen at once. If you look at this game from a new player perspective, could you recommend this game to a new player? Thanks

2. MoonDance17

No the optimisation is no better. Fps drops remarkably at world boss fights and so I would guess it would be just as bad at large scale node wars. The popin seems even worse than ever to me and the flickering on the screen lately has been making me feel nauseous. All that aside if you are interested you should just jump in and try it as this is the only way you will know if the game is for you.

Zeeko likes this.
  3. Vieilan

If you really want to play bdo you need to buy 4 pets (or 3 depending on when you join, the game gives you pets for free sometimes) pets pick up loot for you with out them grinding is heavily inefficient. Thats 30 or 40 extra $ on top of the base price(pets $10 each). You can do without the other items on the cash shop forever really.

In all honesty BDO is the best mmo on the market due to its combat system. PVP lag was "fixed" a couple months ago with a server host change(not really but they tried) but lag is always going to be there no matter what.

If you start playing bdo you will have to grind at least a month or 2 untill you can attempt guild node wars. You said you dont mind the grind? Thats great bdo has lots of grinding.

Yes bdo is worth it.
    Ever since i started bdo i can never go back to other mmos I've played like wow due to the combat being inferior.

Zeeko, Kelledon and Smileybones like this.
  4. Kelledon

If you want PVP as a main focus, than no BDO is not it. you will always be out matched vs other players with better gear. To win in PVP you must have the best gear. If the other person out gears you, you stand 0 chance. Skill only comes into play if you have around the same gear score.

PVE the game is awesome. Tons of stuff to do, tons of places to grind, life skilling, trading, workers, building an empire in a chosen town, leveling alts is super easy after you get some armor,rings, amulet and belt as they can be transferred to any character the only thing different are the weapons and off hands. Oh and world bosses.

Again i highly recommend this game for PVE but i highly discourage anyone wanting to PVP in this game as it will take close to a year of non stop grinding to be any were close to being competitive.

Zeeko and Corrus like this.
  5. Corrus

Agree, as a beginner who wants to pvp only play it If you sink a lot of money, maybe then. For lifeskill or rp it's fine.

Zeeko and Kelledon like this.
  6. Mimimimi

i guess so, but don't be mislead by f2p. the game is (nearly) free to play, but you are significantly slowed down if you plan to not spend any money while playing. it begins with pets that are looting for you, most people consider that the minimal investment. then there are costumes that give certain boni for faster progression and lifeskill costumes. which basically unlock the cooking and processing lifeskill to become viable for making money. look up the prices, none of that is cheap and the costumes can not be swapped to other characters. same with inventory expansions and weight limits -> buy more, more convenience.

there is a dude on twitch who's trying to play the game without spending any money: https://www.twitch.tv/oculariss86

oh boy, yes there is a lot of p2w .. or rather pay to gamble. once you have bought all the one-time-pay things there are more items that you can buy infinitely often to help you with enhancing your gear, like artisan memory or more costumes which can be melted to gain enhancement materials. you can basically throw tons of money into the game, to get to top gear very quickly - you can't buy it directly. anyways, that sounds worse than it really is. firstly you only get a chance to upgrade your gear, it's all a gamble, secondly, it's EXTREMELY expensive. but if you're a whale you can skip the hard parts.

nevertheless the game is very fun. i have played about half a year without spending a dime. i had a lot of fun during that time. then i started to throw some money at the game, which i don't regret at all. it's still worth it to me, but the game surely isn't free. just set a reasonable budget for yourself and you're good. however, when it comes to pvp, people who spend more money have a way easier life. you cannot compensate money with skill in this game.

you can conveniently play the game by spending 15 bucks a month i guess, with the option to spend nothing at all or as much as you'd like :V

Zeeko likes this.
  7. Motoko_Shi

Motoko_Shi DarkKnight 61 NA

Much of the game is absolutely stunning. There are so many places to go and things to pursue it will make your head spin. The combat is fast and even visceral at times.

The story and NPCs are garbage. Most of the cash shop items are a ripoff or are straight up gambling. The classes are often unbalanced. Achieving a competitive gearscore is a massive amount of labor and will frustrate you if you focus on that too much. The grind is real. BDO is a commitment.

If you get into a chill guild, do your homework, and spend wisely during sales (yes you will spend money on the game) then I recommend it.

If you have any issues with gambling then you should avoid it.

Zeeko likes this.
  8. Two-Tu

Two-Tu Musa 62 EU

You can try the game out at any time using one of many 7-day trial codes posted here: https://community.blackdesertonline...n-topic-all-post-here.82/page-62#post-1844921

To the P2W aspect: It is indeed P2W. Spending cash in the game makes life alot easier here: Inventory expansions, weight increasements, maids to have access to the storage or marketplace everywhere, pets and all that. There's no single convenient thing you can't buy with real life currency.

However, if you are casual player, looking out for some fun and not competition, BDO can be really great. I'm one of them.
    I've never invested in inventory expansions, maids or scrolls. The only things I bought from the Pearl store were cosmetics items: Outifts for my toons, horse armor for my favorite horse, and pets because not only pets a must-have for grinding, I mainly bought them because I wanted an army of 5 cute pets following me around - and that's it.
    I play this game on a daily basis (1h grind per day) and investing in these things was not a mistake. Progression can be made in this game without dropping hundreds of bucks monthly. While slower than paying players, it's moderate and acceptable, as long as you are not looking into getting into the competitive scene.
    On the other hand, if you want to be competitve, you'll most likely have to drop more bucks on other items other than outfits. Oh boy, your wallet will be screaming at all the advantages you can get with your hard-earned $.

I know exactly what it's like to start from the scratch in BDO. I have (succesfully) hooked 3 of my buddies into BDO, freaking three! They are casual players, 100% a fact, but they could still enjoy it. They bought their first outfit after their first first/two week(s) and have logged in regurarly back then. BDO's biggest negative point for them, however, was the grinding. It became repetitive for them and once they realized that this will be all they could do to actively progress their character, they played BDO less often.

BDO is a game where you have to find the motivation for yourself. While my buddies have not yet found their goal, I have. Want to hit Lv. 62? Do it step by step. Want that item? Work towards it, day after day. Progression is slowly made here, but if you like the grind (you said, you did), this game would suit you well.
    Grinding, of course, is not the only thing to be mentioned here. Graphics are cool, world is kinda immersive and you can sit and lean against objects everywhere!! It's a screenshot fiesta.

As I said, try it out. Doesn't cost you a dime to get yourself a 7-day trial code, download the game and jump into it.

#8 Two-Tu, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Zeeko and Aiwen like this.
  9. Guybrush_Threepwood

Imo if you can survive the temptation not to buy anything from the pearlshop then you're golden. So you can leave anytime you want without feeling you've wasted something. Don't expect pvp too soon I'm 6 weeks in and I'm still a living sandbag in every fight and it's gonna stay that way for a very long time.

Zeeko likes this.
  10. GM Ydril

Game Master

Hello @Zeeko!

Welcome to the Black Desert Online forum, If you want to try the game for free, there is a free 7 days trial you can activate upon registering your account here! If your 7 days free trial expires and you are still not certain, you can use one of the guest-passes @Two-Tu mentioned from this thread, so that you can try the game a bit longer!

Needless to say, that you should definitely try the game out but as a new player you might feel a bit lost in the beginning, don't worry, this forum section has got you covered!

Check the stickied threads here to find and learn many useful information for players who are just starting!
    Of course if you have any questions left unanswered, ask away :)!

Have a fantastic time and I hope you enjoy BDO!