1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How exactly Marketplace works? (bidding system)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Linkee, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Linkee

Hi there!

This is probably the 1st time i'm confused about using marketplace. Like... how exactly the bidding system works? From what I've managed to learn, after hitting "bid" button, a random number is generated for every player that is participating, and the highest one is able to purchase the item - that's all I know.

Now, let's get into details...

-Scenario no. 1: "Failed at purchasing an item" - that means I didn't get the highest number, and so I lost the bidding and the item is gone? (right?)

-Scenario no. 2: After clicking "Bid results", it says that I can buy an item, so I click enter and only see "Item already sold" - Is that mean I won the bid, or nay? How much time do I have after winning the bid to actually purchase the item, and what happens if I win the bid and don't buy the item?

Like I said, very confusing

2. Elenortirie

actually not all that much:
    "failed at purchasing item" - you did not roll the winnign bid, but the winner didn't check in yet
    "item already sold" - winner checked in before you.

also from what I have heard it is not example "highest roll wins" but there is a specific roll for an item and whoever from the bidders gets the exact same number as the item - otherwise no one winning would not be possible scenario and actually does happen ocasionally.

KittyMachine likes this.
  3. Blossora

Blossora DarkKnight NA

Failed at Purchasing and Item Already Sold are the same thing - you lost the bid. The only difference between them is whether the person who did win already bought the item.
    Failed at Purchasing = you lost but the winner hasn't 'bought' the item yet
    Item Already Sold = you lost and the winner has already 'bought' it

edit: ah, 10 seconds too slow. well, to expand on why it happens, it's because the main mp list updates in real time as things are bought and taken out, but if you are looking at a specific item, an item isn't automatically removed as it's bought. in that instance, the only thing keeping track in real time is the Registration Count number in purple at the top right. that being the case, if you're watching a cash shop item, for example, from its own specific list > bid > lose > watch the Registration Count number go from 1 to 0, but the item you bid on is still in the list. Then you click Buy and it'll tell you Item Already Sold. it's just an inconsistency with the marketplace's functionality.

#3 Blossora, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    KittyMachine likes this.
  4. Nuonii

Nuonii Daralyn Lahn EU

You have 20 seconds to claim the item if you won the bid. If you win and don't claim the item, it will go to "buy" phase. Then the one that clicks the fastest wins.

Failed to buy the item means that you didn't win, but the person that did, didn't claim it yet. Item already sold means you didn't win, and the person that won the item, claimed it before you pressed the button.

Edit: seems like many are replying at the same time haha

KittyMachine likes this.
  5. Linkee

Oh, ok. I think I get it now.
    Btw, couldn't they do normal bidding system like in every other MMO game? You bid with in-game money, you see what's the current max bid and the highest bidder wins, or at least make some improvements that you don't have to sit and luck-snipe for an item for a straight week and get nothing exept your time wasted.

I wouldn't actually mind password-protected items (pearl shop ones only, for the sake of gameplay "balance"), where you can buy an item if you know the password - that way you could buy an item "directly" from a guy; also wouldn't mind the pearls shop items prices in silver to be much higher - that way every1 would benefit: wealthy ppl would buy-sell more outfits, so thay can get easy silver income, broke-ass ppl would have more outfits to choose from on Marketplace, and the publisher would have more money out of item shop. Just think about it.

6. Yule

you're forgetting that this is black desert where nearly every system has been made from scratch purely for this game. the auction house, trading, crafting, workers, even party loot. these systems were developed before they even had the game funded - they wanted to make a game where it was purely immersive, no bots, no market manipulation (fixed min/max price), no "pay to win", etc.

yea its frustrating to learn new systems in BDO and at times really just feels like a single player game but thats how it is really.

7. AlnilamE

That's the pre-order system here. Except you can't see the highest bid.

8. Linkee

Well, i'm new and I didn't really do the research.

Don't get me wrong, I really fall love with this game, and the marketplace is overall OK, but the Pearl Shop tab is just too frustrating and should be done on different rules. There are plenty of ideas of how it can be done, some stated in my previous posts.

9. Yule

The reason why we can't trade with other people and the reason why we have a delay on the marketplace is to promote anonymity and RNG. they dont want botters for example to be able to sell a pearl item exclusively to someone, and they dont want players to trade pearl items exlusively to a bot.

10. Linkee

Many games have or had bots, but they could somehow detect transactions made by a bot/with the bot and ban the guy who tried "cheating".

Right now it's not "fair", cause it's based on a worst kind of gambling, RNG - imo market should be free from that.

11. Yule

i dont really think you know how much work it is to fight bots and create a fair market where players aren't agreeing to sell something at a certain price for a friend and thereby crashing the price.

you could argue that RNG is fair because its random and not using a favouritism mechanic.

simply you cant compare BDO to other games because they will not do it that way. if you say "its in other mmos" then guarantee they wont do it purely for that reason. they see other mmos as complete failures.

12. Elinu

1. Pearl banned like 500 auto fishing bot user.
    2. There are like 500~800 auto market bot user.
    3. N/A Kakao is not perm banning any Market Bots.
    4. Auto Market bots bid multi items 24/7 while they are fishing or afk.
    5. You can't beat 500~800 auto market bot user unless you married with RNGesus.
    6. Just give up bidding Pets, Enhancing Items and some Materials

Quoi...lity Control likes this.
  13. Vaelok

Source?

14. Wyvinters

Wyvinters Sorceress NA

Don't forget about the exposed bid RnG failstacking.
    The more you fail, the higher the next chance of success!

15. Linkee

All I'm saying is the chance of getting anything from a marketplace's pearl shop tab is so little, that it's almost impossible to get. he prices of pets/costumes are dirt cheap, buy so what when I can snipe for a full month and get nothing, or just random passing by the markeplace and get everything - that's NOT how the marketplace should work.

Marketplace should work on a very clear rule: you have the silver, you buy things. It isn't a thing that you should experiment with, in my opinion.

#15 Linkee, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Quoi...lity Control likes this.
  16. Blossora

Blossora DarkKnight NA

I've won a total of seven outfits from the MP so it's not impossible. That's just the way RNG works, but that's besides the point...

I believe the main reason why it's on a random bid system rather than most silver always wins, is because of how the rest of the game functions, particularly enhancing.

Imagine the scenario where a player with 10m in his bank is wanting to buy some black stones to enhance his gear to +15. But then there are 10 more players who have 1b+ in their bank, and they want black stones to either grind into black powder, heat into con stones, or simply want to hoard them so nobody else can have them. The player with 10m would never be able to obtain black stones, because everyone else would keep inflating the price of black stones past the 210-300k price they are now, well over multi-millions. The demand is just that high. 10m player is unable to get better gear, and his progress stagnates because he's unable to grind at better places.

Put simply, the biggest advantage of the rng bid system is it prevents inflation. Black stones will always be hard set at a maximum price of 210-300k, making them affordable to everybody. Of course, solving one problem raises new ones, so it isn't perfect. But I do think it's a necessary evil in order to keep it fair for the masses, rather than advantageous to the no-lifers who are capable of out-buying everyone given the chance.

That being said, it still happens where gear and in-demand mats are concerned due to the pre-order system. But even that is rng in itself, so... it's not a guaranteed thing. Turning the MP into the highest bid wins for everything, by itself, would unravel the rest of the game and cause an economic apocalypse. Same reason why the game has no player-to-player trading.

#16 Blossora, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  17. Epitafios

The main problem with the marketplace in BDO is simple a demand and offer issue. For some items the demand is huge for example shards and memory fragments but the items listed are not enough to meet this demand.So every time something listed you must bid with hundreds or maybe thousands others.Even if we have a marketplace system like the other mmos the issue will remain nothing will be solved.

18. Epitafios

Sure....give as 1 proof of what you say any proof will do.

19. Flaee

Wait, you can bid while not being at the market?

But bidding is precisely here to be random and not allow sniping? Just got myself a Rosefinch winter pet.

20. Tansie

Tansie Ranger 62 EU

I don't dispute that there are definately market place bots out there... But it does take time for them to find these people and ban them.. They will do something about it I'm sure.. Also I wouldn't say to give up on bidding either.. I've won pearl items before and other things like enhancing mats.. You just have to be patient since it is all RNG anyway and gives people a real chance. It was designed to prevent marketplace bots and I think it does that quite well considering..