1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fix PVP vs. PVE

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Marshallx, Jul 30, 2020.

1. DanteAlbania

pve? there is no pve in this game, no dungeons, no group contents just random grind all day till some idiot comes and whispers "DUEL FOR SPOT"
    thats all you can do for "pve"... pvp -> who stuns first wins gg

2. SkullMonkey

I do like the idea of creating Player Factions. I mean they could expand on the continent on the other side of the ocean where the Musa, Maewha, ninja, kuno, Striker, Mystic and Lahn come from. They could make that region the area those classes start in. Players would remain neutral until they got to somewhere between level 56-60 and then they could choose a faction to ally themselves with. We could enhance Naval PvP and increase trade profit and allow pirating of said trade wagons and vessels making it a high risk high reward dynamic PvP aspect to the game. Would be pretty poggers.

3. Marshallx

Thats not too far from being correct. My idea would be like raiding the other territory where players from the one territory would group together and raid the other, etc. This would bring "fun" to the game instead of buying your way to PEN. (Which is what you will do - if you want PEN - when you realize just grinding wont work.

4. Truthonly

Allow me to quote from the Pearl Abyss homepage:

"We are creators that are willing to break boundaries,
    reflect on our creations and start back at square one if necessary.
    That is the very essence of Pearl Abyss. "

At so much will, just make forced PvP impossible and thats it! Problem solved.

5. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

Yeah, sure, let's encourage lazy game design and easy solutions, that's how the game will survive.

6. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

Wouldn't surprise me that territory wars are a dead content on launch. Siege guilds don't even really want to fight for their winnings. They just want to sit on castles so they can keep collecting free money to push the rest of their gear to pen.

7. Mimimimi

i do like the RvR aspect, but splitting the world won't work well with the current maps, quests, etc. elder scrolls online has a separate RvR map which makes 3 factions take objetives. i could imagine something like that on the map of bdo taking place on a separated channel. have yourself be assigned to a major faction and fight over connected objectives .. or OR just play ESO^^ (i'm debating to do that)

upload_2020-8-8_22-33-11.png

source:

the bigger issue of bdo is it's performance in large scale pvp and the respective combat mechanics.

8. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Eso also suffers from performance issues in large scale battles though they are working on some fixes. One of those fixes is to introduce cool downs on the aoe skills. That aside the game is fun and has no forced pvp although you can duel with anyone at any time as long as you both agree. I would suggest giving it a go.

KhaosThanathan and Mimimimi like this.
  9. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

I'm not against RvR, but it shouldn't be hard-based on territories.
    I mean, player's family would be allowed to choose a side, this side could choose to "claim" an area (being present on it and attacking the other sides), but it would not be coded as "its" possession.
    Pretty much what we have now with players trying to get or defend a spot, but with more players. And maybe a neutral side, with heavier punishment if you dare to kill a neutral player but this player would have some penalties too for not choosing a side.

Well, that's simply another possibility for BDO, but seeing how this game is managed, I'm pretty sure it would come with obvious loopholes and potential abuses.

10. Nannyberry

For me, there are two solutions to please PVP, PVE, and PVP-C players.

a) dedicated servers with no forced PVP, rotations could be solved with duel and dialogue. and having servers that work as normal as now.
    b) don't split servers but players can tag themselves for PVP or not PVE or simply PVP-C (meaning this players will be tagged PVP if attacked) drop %, EXP and rewards could be adjusted depending on the tag. So no PVP is forced, no server needs to change, and maybe there could be a dialogue if someone wants to own or share a rotation

11. Hypotermia

wrong game if you want instances try wow or ffxiv

12. sajdas

what wrong with the idea of having instances in bdo? we already got rbf, altar of blood, rift and soon the blue battlefield and new rbf maps

13. Hypotermia

Because instances are boring concept. Players stand in front of portal and wait ppl to arrive or idle in town and press queue button. Just like WoW open world pvp died thanks to instanced BG's and in the end world died with more heavy focus on instanced content and flying. BDO world is far more active and alive because it doesn't rely heavily instanced content

RBF, AOB are hardly instanced content. While indeed AOB is instance based but its hardly done by anyone.

Developers themselves have already said so many times that they do not want to create instanced world and this is the direction of game. Stop trying to change it to wow2.0 or FFXIV.

IWalkAlone likes this.
  14. Diepel

Imagine presenting a design suggestion in a game forum and then saying: "nEvEr sAiD iT wAs aN iDeA fOr tEh gAeM!"

This kind of logic is almost on super-hero levels.

15. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

rbf isnt really instanced tho. u get sent to the island and u can see it on the map. :D

16. LightningFFXIII-4

BDO has instanced PVP,, it's called RBF and Arsha Channel...

17. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

Best Solution: Don't try to split two things that were never meant to be split since the onset of the game.

18. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

Right now there is a Tamer with a single tear running down her cheek.

19. sajdas

you see, i would be inclined to agree with you if players didnt already stay afk-semi afk to progress through the game, but atleast with dungeons/raids/battlegrounds/arena matches que they will have to be active and actually play the game once the que end which take only few minutes if there enough demand, and shadow arena surely did show demand for such system (*i do not think shadow arena was a good game mode but even as a prototype mode it showed how much players prefer such activies over grind or life skill).

wow open world is alive ever since the war mode, the biggest issue with it is sharding which always cause 1 sided zerg, but it is active nevertheless.
    isnt bdo world active only because its the only source of efficient income, but if we really look at it, most ppl hate grind and just do it "auto-pilot mode" for the silver income, same for life skill afk activies. the pvp scene isnt very active since ppl afraid to lose karma and afraid of arsha because of gear gaps, even world of warcraft have much more active open world pvp as long as you are on war mode.

have to agree on that one, we do need more instance type of game modes.

while im aware they probably wont do any meaningful pve/pvp instances game modes (they are very lazy, we both know that even regard the open world modes you like) developers have said many things, including put instances in black desert and i quote:
    "Question: Other than the open world monsters, will there still be instanced dungeons as well?

Answer: Yes, we plan to provide to users with a lot of instanced dungeons, some of which will occupy the same space with the general field (“field dungeons”), while the rest will have a different space independent to the general field. Field dungeons require no loading and start right away, while the other types of instanced dungeons need to load to a unique area. In regards to their content, we plan to prepare a variety of dungeons for monster killing, guarding caravans, rescue missions, horse racing, finding lost cats, catching thieves and so on."

https://mmoculture.com/2013/03/black-desert-interview-with-developer-pearl-abyss/
    and you mean "stop trying to change it to any successful mmorpg", it cant be wow2.0 as it doesnt have tab targeting.

20. sajdas

true, but it is a system that teleport you into a "unique" game mode so lets call it... semi instance i guess xD