1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Like BDO's Economy

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Karna5, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Karna5

Having played BDO much more than 3000 hours now, I still periodically contemplate how clever and enjoyable the overall economy and market system of the game is.

If I factor out things I cannot currently dream of affording, such as Dream Horses, upgrading Blackstar gear, PEN armor/weapons, etc. and focus only on gradually improving what I have, I still remain very pleased that the game allows for small incremental and achievable goals.

For instance, by doing rift bosses, selling horses, random exploration and fighting and a few other things here and there, I can raise around 1 billion silver every 1 to 5 weeks depending on luck. Currently each incremental upgrade costs me around 1.6 to 1.8 billion, which means I am perpetually able to gradually build toward the next goal and the next goal and the next goal, gradually getting better and gradually trying new things.

I still can't even hurt the monsters at Stars End, but yesterday I bought a TET item which let me lose a bracket in DP but get closer to raising a bracket in AP. With my next goal (which I estimate will take 3 or 4 weeks) I think I can cross the next AP and DP bracket and give a shot at Stars End again.

Over the last few months I'd saved up enough materials to try to upgrade my T8 Courser to be a Dream horse, but when I saw that's only a 1% chance, instead I sold all the materials for around 400 million to help buy the last 1.6 billion silver item.

I get to chose what I want to buy and sell and can always build toward new improvements.

Part of why I hated the last 90-quest release a few days ago is it did not contribute to getting my character better. It didn't contribute to experience nor to better gear. But if I ignore poorly implemented quest rewards and areas with no monster XP, I think part of what still keeps me in this game and overall happy is the economy itself, the market system itself.

It's the one thing that always lets me keep improving my character.

rebelhawk, Thugarin, Fateneko and 2 others like this.
  2. Blitzball

Whales can get 10 times of this amount per week just from few seconds of swiping.

And then, when you finally be able to grind at Star’s end, you’ll get your ass kicked by them.

Are you still ok with the economy system of this game ? :D

3. Karna5

Being jealous of how other people live their lives only makes you unhappy. The key to enjoying life is not to see how other people achieve their goals but to find ways you enjoy to achieve your own goals.

Yes, I am and will remain happy because I've learned how to be happy :)

4. Arch2k

Arch2k Devil_Monkeys Lahn 63 NA

Why r u adding to the fuel
    Its like u want to start something here
    If clearly they enjoy the game and feel happy about it why say stuff like this....what's ur problem

5. Arch2k

I have to say the CM improvement was for sure needed
    I think they did a good job and maybe add a few more touches to it and I say it's almost perfect but since I am no good at math myself it be hard to say where
    Cuz theres somethings u really cant touch without making things unbalanced all over again
    But yea slow and steady will win u lots of rewards most of the time
    I have to say the up rise in gear has come a long way and will continue go do so
    Some may get lucky some may not

Karna5 likes this.
  6. Fearless V

Fearless V TranscendentSoul Witch NA

I would like the marketplace too if I could sell and buy items at their realistic prices. Which from a economy standpoint would be the true catchup mechanic. Imagine being able to sell caphras and other hard to come by materials at their actual value. Not only more would get listed, but it'll allow upcoming players to make some real silver/hour.

But nope the economy is stagnated just to push the cash shop into your face hardcore. The current marketplace is a improvement. But it's lightyears behind other MMOs marketplace and economies. I am personally in favor of a actually working economy to be implemented in BDO.

Ask yourself these three questions. Why did the go for infinite progression? Why is the cash shop which has the potential to print out silver through brute-forcing RNG limitless? Why are the ingame means to make silver and progress heavily controlled, and nerfed until you reach a certain gear bar?

Sorry but after playing MMOs with awesome economies, like Eve Online and ESO. I have been spoiled hardcore. That's all I have to say on this matter.

MADE and Jinoro like this.
  7. Arch2k

I dont see any cash shop problem here at all
    Yes cap stones r gated but what would be the true value if u would point finger on it?
    Same price as undead God? Cuz that's the closest thing I can think of
    Which be pen 20b right 20-30b in cap stones right that's 40b or so but then when u look at undead God base price then its higher
    But u then cant forget about the value of the armor it self not just the cost of making it
    Right?
    Anyway no I disagree with a lot of ppl on this
    Qhat it would look like if they didnt do a lot of stuff they done would be everyone would be super geared noting to go for...its like beating a game in two weeks
    I for one dont want to beat a game in a month and feel like I didnt work for it
    That's the whole point of bdo offer what other games dont offer in that matter but then again when was the last time u spent a lot of time on a mmorpg that offered like 3 weeks of play and that's it...that's ****** boring to me
    I hate getting handed stuff which bdo does a lot of which ****** up the market is this not true? Cuz it sure is
    How many times will they give out ogres or lay necklaces out
    How many times has it come to the point we will never see true price

I'll always say this they need to stop giving out stuff when ppl can do it on their own what are loot scrolls for? We been getting like 30 a month every month and not including dark rifts right?

Sorry for the long page but I don't believe this has to do with catch shop

If they really want to make more money might as well add outfit melting for cap stones or any other benefit then

And watch ppl cry about it
    Even tho they been adding fs to bundles

8. Stealthe

Stealthe SteaIthe Wizard 62 NA

They kind of already have melting costumes for caphras.
    I mean if someone was very determined to p2w caphra you could buy costumes,melt into crons and then purposely fail cron attempts and then extract the caphras.
    Super expensive for sure but could be whaled

#8 Stealthe, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Jinoro, Karna5 and Fearless V like this.
  9. Karna5

Gosh I wish I'd have known that was a thing when I wasted more than 600 cron stones making a TET liverto weapon a while back. (Yeah, I didn't know Liverto wasn't worth cron stones until I did it.)

10. Arch2k

It's so little its not even worth talking about for that....dont think any dumb person would even remotely do it unless u got that kind of money to spend...but I guess we already knew this ur yet again ur just degrading ur time spent on the game instead of enjoying ur time

I don't waste my time on thorys of whales or ideas that r pointless to my game play

11. Stealthe

Stealthe SteaIthe Wizard 62 NA

Ive never seen any data tables on how many caphras per fail and what enhancement level,gear grade and gear type would offer the most value however,would be interesting to see but im sure still very expensive

Tri green armor probably?

#11 Stealthe, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  12. MADE

Yeah, with functioning market, BDO would be much better.

Jinoro and Fearless V like this.
  13. Aysnvaust

This
    caught my eye.

14. Fearless V

Fearless V TranscendentSoul Witch NA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As someone who also causally plays BDO. It's gear I wouldn't even dare dream of getting PEN weapons and armor. As I don't pay to win. But meh what ever.

Jinoro, LesserHellspawn and Karna5 like this.
  15. Kikux

you talk like a psychiatrist for suburban wives he learned how to be happy XD let me teach you something about this life in this life you can't live life all the time happy it's impossible if you lucky and a billionaire with B you will be at 10% happy in total your whole life and that's normal and OK it's all about solving problems and endurance and the smartest way to live with less problems you don't go around preaching you found the secret of the universe and how you happy and other people are jealous of you. that's dangerous.

16. Broodex

Broodex PvP Sorceress 62 NA

I like it too. :D

Karna5 likes this.
  17. LesserHellspawn

I'm around the same gearscore. I don't have a Steam account, so no easy way to see my total play time, but I've collected the 10000 hours reward months ago.

Karna5 and Broodex like this.
  18. Prowly

This is not happiness, this is conforming to your inability to ever reach anywhere within the timeframe of the game will live, lol.

Findubar likes this.
  19. Karna5

I don't know why you have such hostility against suburban housewives. I do know you have not yet learned that the world has no justice and that justice is a false idea which only gives the believers unhappiness. I know that in the real world your best friend gets murdered in a car jacking at an ATM for $50 and a ten year old vehicle. In real life a doctor botches a post operation checkup, and you lose 92% of your optic nerves in both eyes leaving you so blind you need a cane to walk without breaking your toes, which you've broken so many times you no longer get upset. In real life you are arrested for no reason, and the police lie to the judge about you, and you go to jail. In real life your employer of 18 1/2 years to whom you've knocked yourself out fulfilling ridiculously hard deadlines fires you the day you say you're too blind to drive. In real life you lose your medical insurance because you lost your job, and when you call Obamacare support they tell you that you cannot buy insurance unless you have income, and then the government fines you $512 for not having medical insurance even though they didn't let you buy it. In real life somebody sells you a house with no working toilets and then breaks in and steals what you moved into it, and the cops won't do anything. In real life twenty people attack your girlfriend, and you call the cops, and they won't do anything. Real life is hard, and real life always gets harder.

Anger about any of this only hurts yourself. You cannot ever be happy if you expect happiness to automatically happen.

In the context of this game, in real life you do all the main quests and spend months trying to fight challenging monsters and don't get any significant experience or rewards.

So how does one find happiness with all these dooms and "injustices" and difficulties?

You learn to appreciate what you can do, what you can change, and what small happiness you can. In real life, in the context of this game, when all else fails, gains and incremental goals can be achieved from the market, the market which you hate but which I appreciate in the context of real life understanding.

Perhaps one day, in ten or twenty years, you will learn how to be happy. Until then, perhaps you should try to avoid generalizations about people you don't know and eschew hostility when you can.

*Shrugs* But then, I don't really care what you think as that is not the path to my own happiness.

Purr, Arch2k and MoonDance17 like this.
  20. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Well said.

Karna5 likes this.