1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If PVE channels are added, BDO dies.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Hamashiach, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KanedaSyndrome

Gotta agree.

2. BANiSH

This game was meant to be a sand box...

3. Maevynn

http://2p.com/5432325_1/Interview-w...l-a-Game-with-Endless-Gameplay-by-chaose5.htm
    And thus originally, OW-PK was a bug and not an intended part of the game design. Explains a lot.
    -edit-
    From another part of the interview as well:

4. Cardiel

Cardiel Disglair DarkKnight NA

5. Maevynn

I definitely agree that a lot changed with it and that they worked it into the design of the game on release—Didn't disagree with that. What I was responding to was specifically being told it was always a part of the development—including KR Alpha.

6. Cardiel

Sounds good, no offense meant towards you. The entire basis of that conversation is a moot point is what I'm responding to. Once upon a time they might've wanted to call the game Moochie Mama's Rickety Split Simulator but it was released as BDO.

I don't understand why people bring up the whole "haha we accidentally added PvP once three years ago" interview.

7. Maevynn

What it does prove is that they did a complete 180 in development after working on the game for years. My point is less that it was unintended/intended, because we know it was intended, and more that it shows that they rolled out a patch that allowed you to do it after a mistake but didn't focus years worth of effort on considering the system.

It is a very weakly-implemented system whether you're looking at it from a pro-PvP side or a pro-PvE side or even somewhere in the middle. If someone kills you, you suffer absolutely nothing from that but a little bit of time. There really is no point to it and nothing keeping you from coming back other than unspoken pride/honor rules. And I'm not saying that in a "take out the PvP" way—Leave it in. But I don't think that a PVE Channel would be as disastrous as it's been made out to be either with how the PvP is now and how it's been implemented. All it serves to be is a way to get someone out of a grindspot for a short amount of time before they run back, when the best and most effective way is to just outgrind them—Which is what would happen in a PVE channel, and what happens very often now.

Not even sure if I'd play on it, but it really wouldn't mess with how the game works.

8. Cardiel

Fair point. I'm personally against PvE servers because the player-made culture is a nuanced one surrounding the entirety of the game. There's a definite "talk ****, get hit" atmosphere where if you make enemies there're real repercussions. If you act weird you might get picked on.

Likewise, it allows for a game where justice can genuinely taste sweet. You can grow, you can improve, you can become top dog if you want to.

Or...we could add PvE channels where people will run to when they're not wanting to try anymore. When they want an easier ride.

I get it. Not everyone wants to PvP, but asking for PvE channels to bypass the gauntlet that is an open world PvP experience is just...ruining this real world, relatable atmosphere that's frustrating as hell and rewarding.

9. Crowleyz

This is dumb. World PvP is there because of a BUG they decided to leave in. PvP in BDO is sieges and guild wars, PVE servers have no effect on this.

If you are desperate to gank people, find a game that rewards it better. If you're an actual PvPer that enjoys PvP for the challenge, not for the noobstomping (which I doubt), then find a game more oriented around PvP.

10. Cardiel

They decided to leave it in early on, thus it is an intentional part of the game.

11. Crowleyz

Well thus and thus doesn't really matter does it? Again, sieges and guild wars are the main PvP aspects of BDO. If you're desperate for noobstomping, then you're just a bad player and they should do whatever they can to get rid of you.

12. Cardiel

Yes it does matter? What doesn't matter is the state of the game during early development lol.

13. Crowleyz

Again, sieges and guild wars are the main PvP aspects of BDO. If you're desperate for noobstomping, then you're just a bad player and they should do whatever they can to get rid of you.

14. Cardiel

Yeah cause sticking your fingers in your ears and repeating yourself verbatim is a proven method to win internet arguments.

15. BANiSH

ALT + C is in the game so it's a legitimate way to play the game. There is even a town dedicated for people who dedicated their game experience around the "noob bashing" play style. And I'll have to repeat myself: This game is meant to be a sand box. If I decide PK is the way I want to play this game I can as long as I am not breaking the ToS.

16. Deyric

Some of the good PvP games of the past, like Dark Age of Camelot, separated PvE to organized systems only. So to say it would kill the game is really grasping at straws.

I don't think anyone asking for a PvE only server is asking for no node or castle war PvP (although I would guess there are a few).

17. Deyric

The game is meant to be played however the developers decide to make it.

18. Columba

God I sooooooooooo loved Dark Age of Camelot. 9 years since I last played, and I still have good dreams about that game.

19. Reyer

@Maevynn
    The fun thing is that they programmed this bug somehow to include exp and item loss... y'know, on sieges there was no such thing as exp loss or item breaking and then wild bug happens and it works just like they invented it. Genius!

#239 Reyer, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Cardiel likes this.
  20. Hamashiach

Congratulations for being gullible. That 'bug' rumor was never true, somebody made it up and spread it around as fact, and you took the bait.

BDO was made from the ground up as a PVP game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.