1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if this game went sub based? as in needing to pay a monthly sub to play

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by MMoNoob, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

What I meant is that you have to charge at least 10$ which is fine for a micro transaction but you won't get sh*t for 10$ in BDOs pearl shop. And that's the moment where p2w elements kick in.
    Also artisans where not a pearl shop items on release for a long while.

2. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

...Ok.
    But like i said..The proof is the fact many many dead MMORPGS remain running for years, with just as much digital realestate if not more then BDO..That is proof of just how cheap it is to run things.

Fearless V likes this.
  3. robertthebard

...and I'm not even going to bother. You're premise is flawed right out of the gate. You see, the thing about being publicly traded means that investors make money off the stock they buy in your company.

Source

4. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

I mentioned earlier there is a real big difference between an mmorpg "surviving" and actually "running". If you have few servers running and that's it, sure it's kinda cheap.
    I mean it's obvious that the mmorpg market is kinda dead and WoW is ruling it for over a decade and is still on top with a 15 years old version of WoW. But if actually running a mmorpg well would be cheap, why do you think these companies are not able to improve their games and bring some good content to attract more players? I'd say the answer here is the same like pretty much in every aspect of life: Money

Edit:
    World of Warcraft apparently cost $200 million for upkeep and development over the first four years of operation.
    Link
    WoW developing costs been around $40 million apparently. That means it's $40 million per year to keep it running. Not really cheap imo.

#204 Kauni, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Tvvin likes this.
  5. robertthebard

Perhaps you should try to explain that to the ones that shut down with active players.

6. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

Such as?

7. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

"But if actually running a mmorpg well would be cheap, why do you think these companies are not able to improve their games and bring some good content to attract more players?"

You watched the video it answered that for you..You got it.

Edit:
    I doubt reskinning, and adding in more gambling reaches those costs..If id does then it speaks of the incompetence of Pearl Abyss. Why we still have not received so called balance adjustments, why hackers run rampant, why everything is so bugged, glitchy, and why FPS actually effects combat in such as glaring way it can make some people unkillable, or give a decided advantage.

I cant imagine the incoming ocean content improving much at all.

None of these are good excuses to run with a PTW/PTC monetization business model.

Figures..remain ignorant..its your choice.

#207 Kynreaa, Sep 14, 2019
    WinterMilla and Fearless V like this.
  8. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

9. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Timestamp? I might overlooked it.

I mean in that case you could say nothing ever got developed it WoW, just re-skin'd. But then again BDO has trash content, that's why they are milking money with p2w elements while people trying to get that full pen.
    BDO is still alive not because of a good story, good business model (lul that sounds weird), any good PvE design (life skills included) or PvP content (nw, siege, rbf, ba, ow pvp). It's literally just the combat mode. And for whatever weird reasion no other company was able to release something somewhat similar to that in ~5 years...

Tvvin likes this.
  10. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Yeah it's totally not like virtual clothes cost more than real ones in BDO shop, or paying the price of a full game for a tent is totally micro.

Sigh.

11. robertthebard

The thing is, I'm not the one being ignorant. You start off trying to educate me on capitalism, all w/out understanding what "publicly traded" means. Here's the rub, those investors are expecting a RoI suitable to them, and if they're not getting it, they're going to sell that stock. Your lack of knowledge, compared to how much you want to educate everyone else is astonishing, and hilarious. It reminds me of an old adage that we have around here: Why do people with least amount of knowledge have the biggest mouths"?

12. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Dude you have no clue. the games you describe are in maintenance mode, which means no new content is added and very few if any bugfixing is provided.

To run a game in maintenance mode you only need a sysadmin and some support staff. No ****, it costs little, Sherlock.

However BDO is totally not in maintenance mode since new content is being added regularly and bugfixing is performed, thus require a full dev team to maintain.

That is proof how cheap is it for you to talk.

13. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

Oh..your done. I knew what you were gonna do an you did it. You ask for something then ignore it.

14. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

Ok.
    I guess that excuse they give you works for you.
    You are very easily pleased with lackluster results I guess.

Fearless V likes this.
  15. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

I dont care about WoW..so I guess you can if thats all they have been doing..I wouldent know...Im guessing they are getting alot more then that though for 40 million annually.

Timestamp for what? That corporations want All of the money..every conceivable penny. Not just some of it?

16. robertthebard

Yes. I asked for facts, details, and you responded with misinformation, and now you're mad? Isn't it ironic.

17. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

As I stated already you have zero clue about videogames industry standards and practices.

It is a factual truth that BDO isn't in maintenance mode, you can't deny that content is regularly added and bugs are regularly fixed.

This implies additional costs over games in maintenance mode, period and your opinion about the quality of provided updates and bugfiexs doesn't change a iota to this fact.

It's not the first time I call you out for putting words into my mouth when I state neutral fact and express no opinion about them but you keep doing it as if nothing happened to create a fake argument with the purpose of shifting the topic from a matter which embarrasses you.

Naho likes this.
  18. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

I mean you said running mmorpgs is cheap. I showed you that an actual running (not somehow surviving) mmorpg costs ~$40 mil per year. Doesn't feel cheap.

Timestamp where it says in the video that running mmorpgs is cheap and there are other reasons why companies do not want to improve their games. I somehow can't find that.

Naho likes this.
  19. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

I classify cheap as in less then a percentage of their total income.
    What percentage would be cheap in your opinion?

Lets use your $40 million figure.

Now lets say with initial purchase, and with PTW/PTC microtransactions PA made a billion in 2 years here.

Now if they did away with all the PTC crap, had it in game from the start and went sub based..they would have surpassed 1 billion....like Wow.

#219 Kynreaa, Sep 14, 2019
  20. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

...You calling me out for stuff you do? Such as claiming I dont want "baby eating pearl abyss" to profit?
    Yea remember that? Nice try.

#220 Kynreaa, Sep 14, 2019
    Fearless V likes this.