1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imagine if we stop punishing sellers

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Factorial, Jul 22, 2019.

?

What would you do

1. Buyer pays tax

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Seller pays tax

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Something else

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. Rainbows, puppies, kittens, ice cream

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. Factorial

One is the biggest issues with selling items on BDO is the seemingly exuberant and excessive tax that's imposed on the seller. It seems that the tax should be imposed on the buyer and not the seller.

If the seller pays the tax, the value pack perk would apply thereby reduces the tax the seller must pay. This seems like a fair deal so as not to punish the sellers and allows much more people to sell and incur profits.

Doing this would greatly motivate sellers instead of them hoarding. In my case, I rarely sell items because there is a general loss. Who knows when I might make an alt?

However, if I am getting a profit then my attitude would change to encourage selling my epic hoard

Allan1985 likes this.
  2. WinterMilla

Rather than who should pay the tax, we should be asking why are we paying the tax? I know there is a small bit of lore pointing at its feeding the workers, but we do that anyways. TBH its another mechanic put in place so you buy something, in this case its a value pack.

3. Factorial

Well taxes go to loot for PvP wars. A great perk for real PvP by the way. Instead of the mindless gankfest.

4. WinterMilla

Hard for me to call getting 1 combed or less real PvP.

5. Factorial

True. That. But at least it's better than the ganking some folks mistakenly think is PvP

6. WinterMilla

If Ganging is considered a fair fight then assassination is a fair duel.

There should be another system in place to provide war funds instead of taxing everyone, but that wouldn't make money so I dont see it happening.

Solitaire and Factorial like this.
  7. 2Cents

It actually creates Pay Walls for certain grinding locations.
    1. Pay Wall when the value of an area is highly dependent upon market place selling and low trash loot
    2. Pay Wall when the area consists of mashing down packs to the point even T4 pets can't keep up
    These can not be argued against if you apply a basic logical premise. While you "could" hunt anywhere if the premise is to maximize profits that would be a mute point.

8. WinterMilla

Honestly the Pets in this game are trash when it comes to getting loot. When I start grinding fast on my characters I happen to look back at the mounds of loot just playing on the ground. So you lose money twice in the game, once for failing to pick up all the loot and another for sales tax.

9. Digi_Assassin

Digi_Assassin DarkKnight 62 NA

Overall I'm not too unhappy with the tax, it's just when selling an item that's worth 8 - 10 billion (or even less than that in the billions) the tax on that is ridiculous.

Sometimes I've been very tempted to sell one of my big ticket items to trade for something similar (TET accessory for a unicorn for example) and I never do because the tax just doesn't make it worth it. It would be nice to have some kind of sliding scale where the really expensive items aren't taxed as high.

Factorial likes this.
  10. ImNewPlayer

This is an income tax, not a sales tax. Maybe they could implement both at the same time?

How is that even any different? If you "gank" someone, it's literally one combo and they are dead. Is it not considered a "gank" if you are facing them? You could still one combo someone facing them. Where is the logic here?

I'm not gonna argue there is no stat balance, but you said you like the "Dynasty Warriors" effect aka one combo, Everything should be labeled as "ganking" in that mindset since most people die in a single combo no one gets a chance to fight back.

11. Lord_Xenon

Why? To avoid flipping and more important creating 3E19 silver out of nothing(when the tax if there is one left is to low and VP still in place).
    It removes part of the silver from economy, which would just bloat into infinite(or with having caps to max all time and nearly no items).

And even how would that look with buyer pay the tax??? That would inflate the price wouldn't it/strange pay. Like it look 20M for something and then you suddenly lose 23M as buyer?!

cliveklg and Sibyyl like this.
  12. Sibyyl

Sibyyl Heart Maehwa 63 NA

By this logic a Value Pack would come with a "pay zero tax" benefit, but it doesn't.

Tax is there to prevent reselling. Both your post and OP wouldn't solve the problem of people (ie: bots) playing the market for profit by reselling (buy low, sell high).

13. AlnilamE

1. This is a case of 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
    2. The tax is all in your mind anyway. They could literally hide it by telling you you are getting the full amount you "listed" for and charging the real price of the buyer.

Free your mind of material things and enjoy the game.

14. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 61 NA

I'm not happy about it, Nor am I unhappy about it, it's kind of "meh" and I've never given it any thought to it IG, however;

upload_2019-7-23_14-51-29.jpeg

Factorial likes this.
  15. Factorial

I suppose I wasn't very successful at my aim, but I do want to point out something.

The market becomes awful and penultimately ineffective when it is dry. Shortages on the market can be caused by several factors which include people not selling as a direct reason for incurring losses by selling on the MP. The current system is some percent loss each time an item is sold. This discourages others from placing things on the MP. Still, I respectfully accept your criticism and embrace it wholly.

Perhaps there is a better solution that I am not fully equipped to produce. The bot thing is another issue that should be dealt with in general which is another story.

Wait, are you saying that if I ignore things, then those things will cease to exist or matter?

Hm.

I didn't know mathematics had formed some mutual symbiotic coalition with existentialism and metaphysics. Shoot. I will bite and I will try it out.

16. ImNewPlayer

Has that been working for you so far? Are my questions ceasing to exist just because you dodge them? Do facts disappear just because you ignore them?

17. Foo

Foo

I still find it kinda annoying that it's on us to calculate tax rather than built into the MP itself

Sibyyl likes this.
  18. Findubar

Something or other. I don't care either way. I missread thread.

19. AlnilamE

Well, in a game, you can ignore it. And this is a game.

What I'm saying is:

There is no practical difference between you listing something for 100 million, me buying it for 100 million and you collecting 65 million from it ("seller pays the tax") and you listing something for 65 million, me buying it for 100 million and you collecting 65 million (ie, buyer pays the tax")

Phoenixxx75 and Sibyyl like this.
  20. Factorial

I suppose I can see your point.

However, it's almost like cognitive Pavlovian classical conditioning within the constructs of the game I am playing. While ignorable, it gets harder when it's up in my face every time I play it like a bell being rung with an association. Then to some people, the game is meant for immersion and they become enmeshed within the world and end up caring because an emotional unit begins to creep into too close a level of reality.

At any rate, and with respect to classical conditioning, it's just so much more satisfying and rewarding to sell something for 100M then see 100M within your inbox. Expectations are met. This is positive reinforcement which is so good that it might even cause salivation.

However, let us flip the script and give you the part none of the other actors want: you sell your item for 100M and your inbox gets given 65M. All of a sudden you have this sour taste in your mouth which salivates you into wanting to spit on the developers. Clearly, this is a negative reinforcement that tells the next guy, "Well, it's not really worth placing this TET on the MP." Ending result: We have a less robust MP that could be so much, much more enriched.