1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imagine this...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Steelpebble, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Schinrah

Yes, that ain't wrong. Thing is, as I said, a game today is sold at 50-100$ retail depending on what version you purchase. A game also, on average, has lower production costs than a movie. So the difference in "reach" as far as the audience is concerned is made up by the lower initial production cost and the money asked upfront being 5x times higher. The following costs to run the game are easily covered by the subscriptions and sales of cosmetic items and the likes.

There are plenty of other F2P games out there that are profitable with growing playerbases that do not milk their playerbase to the limit. PoE/Warframe etc are all mostly cosmetics, with PoE selling things like inventory space ontop. However, in PoE inventory space isn't limited to one character or game mode once purchased.

Again, my point is not that PA shouldn't monetize their game, or that there is no cost involved in maintaining it. I'm only criticising the scale at which PA monetizes and that they are willing to go as far as breaking their game in certain aspects just so that they can sell you a solution for money.

I believe that if they would have stuck to cosmetic items, pet's, the value pack etc, and steered clear of selling items beyond that directly boost progress or give you advantages far beyond what a couple pets and the VP do, this game would likely have a bigger growing playerbase instead of a declining one.

But PA seems to be solely focused on "cashing out" on the remaining playerbase. The amount of Pearlitems with ridiculous prices of over 50$ keeps increasing weekly. To me it seems like instead of trying to grow their product and appeal to a wider audience they focus almost all of their attention on getting as much money as possible out of the players they still have, and the money they make isn't put back into BDO but used for other ventures and making their shareholders happy.

I don't see why we as players of BDO PC should just accept what's going on and be happy to finance RDO and their bonus checks without getting our money's worth in new content. The more willingly people just accept what is happening the less likely it will be that PA/Kakao change anything in how they go about managing the game.

BDO isn't a bad game, and it could be alot better if PA would stop treating it as a fundraiser for their next project which then will suffer the same fate down the line. So the answer isn't to stop playing, in my oppinon. The answer is to stop spending money on the game and keep reminding them that if they want money they should give us sth. that has an actual value to us as players. Not sth. that just "fixes" an inconvenience they deliberately created.

thdsm, Korvgubben, Reuter and 2 others like this.
  2. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

I really want to know why you deal with the weight, and inventory issues on a daily basis...Gdanm, just that alone was enough to get at least $50 more out of me. I mean it made it the price of a full game.

Sure alot of other things can be obtained from the central market thanx to whales. You of all people should want for the central market to allow all pearl items to be listed since you know more aggressive P2w/p2c monetization if coming down the pipeline.
    Only whales will be supporting executive pensions, once they dissolve this game into requiring only a skeleton crew to keep with the upkeep, and updates...If it hasn't been that already for some time.

3. Catastigma

Ever like to come home to the grocery store taking your time and enjoying takinga fresh breath of air?
    Do the dishes while having a serious discussion with your cat?

In short, I learned in the long run not to mope for the slightest difficulty. on the contrary, take a taste of it.

People are formatted to go at full speed, as quickly as possible. they like nothing, go into depression-burn-out / end up sick or even dead.
    They must ejaculate as quickly as possible, must make as much money as possible, Go as quickly as possible legally on the roads.
    the important thing is to do as much as possible in the least possible time to finally die by saying that you will have done everything. But in perfect disarray, Without ever having time to appreciate the time, people and yourself.
    These are the people who are targeted by p2w. These people generally weak in mind because they have no slow thinking development, therefore unable of critical thinking and real self control.
    Pay in the face of the slightest difficulty. is to be resolved to failure.

In my vision. It is the people who are responsible for P2W. They are the ones who encourage him. If it's not the game that has a cash shop. his will be the RMT Gold sellers and the account sale.
    I do not feel sorry for Pearls Abyss who gives what people want.
    It's the people who are the problem.
    Reason why I keep repeating, Casual Plague Cancer player are the probleme. There is absolutely no doubt in this total truth.

Mmo p2w are extremely profitable. and all non p2w games are p2w, but it is a *company* that hires people for very low wages to play on accounts to farm golds and to create accounts with value and sell them to whale.

And their Business pays. the RMT market is hundreds of millions.
    With PA, even if I'm fundamentally against p2w, (the problem remains people) I know that money is used at least for their project or game development.
    And seeing Plan8 and DokeV, see Crinson Desert.
    I see games that will be of quality.

Unlike Ubisoft / EA / Bethesda. Who are much richer, and basically make that ****.
    People are the problem, and it is in the interest of no one to educate the majority to counter these cognitive biases.
    Why? Capitalism. People are at war with everyone in their own country and even worse with foreign businesses. who will be the fastest to produce, who will be the fastest to have the idea and the patented ...

In short Time is money and for the majority , money is time. Where the last is ********.

I have no doubt here that I am the only one who has had an unfinished puzzle in his living room for several months. I should finish painting the room too ...When I feel like it.

Now, I want to .... Start my processing and play Wild Arms 5 on Ps2. 8D
    Why? its MY free time. It makes no sense that our time is the property of the game because we pay it.

I have a headache, I'm sorry for test wall.

#123 Catastigma, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    AZzalor and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  4. XLucaX

Im paying for the fastest internet of spectrum, while utilizing my fully upgraded alienware laptop. Im totally P2W.

5. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

Yep, that's what i've been saying basically...the costume melting and selling is the biggest problem and without it, the game would be alright.

Drielith and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  6. Reuter

Reuter Tamer 61 EU

No, the biggest problem is Caphras and the emphasis on gear (including rеtardеd AP brackets) that came with it. Without Caphras costume melting would still be an unacceptable P2W mechanic, but it wouldn't have too much of an impact if someone cashes out to run around with an additional +11 AP/+20 DP over TET.

#126 Reuter, Jan 12, 2020
    Factorial likes this.
  7. Fearless V

Fearless V TranscendentSoul Witch NA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

XLucaX likes this.
  8. <|>P b r a D<|>

I never agreed with the "P2W" outrage. I'd always argue that BDO is HEAVILY P2C (Pay to Convenience). The sheer amount of P2C just brings PA's ethics into question. But hey, convenience inst illegal, otherwise 7/11 would have been out of business long ago.

With the recent "sales", however, coinciding with in-game loot boxes...PA's REALLY pushing it there.

9. Ben Phoenix

That desk gives me shivers...

10. Lord_Xenon

Another one that don't know what he is talking about. Now guess what? It's called FREMIUM what you describe. Parts of a product/service are FREE while for additional features etc. you pay a fee(or you can upgrade it for a one time fee). But has nothing to do with subs. Funny thing: Tera failed with their sub so they changed to the fremium model.

While you all can cry about the amount and way of P2C/A, which is your right, at some point - especially the elitist and pros - when they would indeed don't bring such 'make it easier/nah jump step' for all those retards, you will lack the meat at some point in the game as now guess what? Only the pros/hardcore would be in top - fair enough - but everyone that would want to 'catchup' would either have to rely on the gap to close with playtime or the devs lowering the difficulty itself. I mean devs can't make it more braindead than the game already at most?! They would need to s* out Tet+ at some point to even lower that gap... You simply CAN'T educate braindeads, that's why you drain their money if possible. Though other methods(INGAME) to acquire different things would be awesome for hardcore/pros than just relying on the wallet of someone else.

Factorial likes this.
  11. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

caphras doesn't have much to do with the p2w stuff...What you're saying doesn't make much sense. I mean the gear was always a big factor and i like it that way.
    What is a way bigger problem than caphras are the ap brackets that give you extra ap.

12. Drielith

zZZZzzz... it was meant as close examples to what we currently have. Btw, you're not calling those 'things' (that in your head are not subscriptions) freemium subscription features? Let me guess, you're the same kind of person that don't believe there's loot boxes in EA games because they call them surprise mechanics, right? Anyway, you're pretty much a lost cause so I'll end the discussion with you here.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  13. Lord_Xenon

Those are boosters. You run them normally for a limited time - they exist as well as case number but this is uncommon - and lootboxes are cancer and I can't kick every politician in his ass for a change. I value my freetime to much for that.

14. Drielith

Are you honestly calling VP a booster? The original combat and life skill books were boosters, I can agree with you on that, but the new Old Moon book is hardly a booster, since it also contain features that have nothing to do with boosting (or only very indirectly at most). Kama blessing will also be revamped in the future to a new one that can hardly be called a mere booster. What they offer or will offer is much closer to what optional subscriptions do in other games fyi.

Also, BDO have much in common with the games I listed when it comes to the freemium business model. BDO, while not a freemium game, employ's many of the same business strategies as the before mentioned games use.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  15. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

P2C can be worse then p2w in many aspects. As the only way that becomes profitable is if the devs self sabotage the game. They cant sell convenience unless they make something a large hassle, over an over again.
    They are not boosters, what are you talking about? They are charging you to remove being gimped.

Like I said, alot of these issues would be resolved if they just open the rest of the pearl store to be in the central market.

#135 Kynreaa, Jan 12, 2020
  16. Factorial

Theoretically, that sounds like a booster. Practically, it's also a booster when you think of all the gains a VP buyer gets versus a non-VP buyer. For example, imagine selling a 3 billion silver item without VP. That's one hell of a boost. So I think @Lord_Xenon is right.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  17. Amirite

I think that OP went on holiday for 2 weeks.

The issue about the P2W is that there is too much and that's why we still discuss it. Also, I don't think the Western World has yet accepted this new player style after so many years, where you pay for some in game items and get some benefits, whatever they make you win or not the game.
    Many vet players here comes from a monthly sub game.

Using Wow as an example is a no go for me comparing it with BDO and P2W. It's really two very different game Universes and we (well many can) always bring our favorite game up in this discussion.

The other thing is how it's sold to us and how much they take for in game items sold in the Pearl Shop, now here we will always have a discussion.

Or else I am doing fine, thanks for asking and have a nice day.
    [​IMG]

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  18. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

A booster boost you from a normal setting. Calling that a booster is like thanking someone for returning what they took from you in the first place after you paid them.

PA starts you at a -5..Its not a booster when even after having them, you continue to loot, and make gains at now a -3. And in order for them to make another convenience item, they need to nerf you again.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  19. Factorial

I think we got our definitions crossed.

To me, a booster is anything that gives you an instant advantage that can't be had normally. There is no normal way to get the boost that VP provides a person. Hence, VP and any item like it is a booster according to my definition. Essentially, most things in the cash shop are boosters.

Now, from your example, there is no normal way to get the +LT that VP or weight purchases give a character. You could train strength, but it pales in comparison with the raw amount that the cash shop provides or even from loyalties. This is the same for many other things such as VP tax refunds.

From your definition, you seem to be talking about hacks (i.e. speed hack which deviates from normal settings). That's a different field altogether.

20. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

There is a normal way, ingame progression.
    Once they have to break immersion to give you a booster, its not a booster, its something they nerfed to make you have to buy.

Think of it like a full film, you can watch it for free on public broadcast, but time and effort was put in to nerf the movie, or you can buy it, and get the whole thing, or sub to a service and get alot of whole unedited films...The booster would be the skip/fast forward button, or reading the wikipedia and ruining the whole thing.

What PA is trying to do is, charge you for the public broadcast, charge you again per unedit they do, then charge 3 different subscriptions so you can maintain its integrity. Per char slot. Then its rng if when you press play you can see past each timestamp they put in place.

And its working.

#140 Kynreaa, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020