1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me or have less people wanted to be competitive?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by LiquidEmotion, Jun 26, 2020.

1. LiquidEmotion

(Didn't mean to post here initially but the subreddit mods think this is "hurtful" smh)
    Anyways,

I've come and gone from this game plenty of times. Stopped gear progression back when guardian first came out and sort of just been casual for the most part but I've noticed that BDO just seems WAY more imbalanced than before in the past and there is less motivation to be competitive. Aside from my own class being disgusting at a high gear score you have classes like Succ wiz that can do it all. Since I went casual I have not done any node wars but I hear extremely negative things in NA. stuff like "T2's are dead", T3s are just the same OP siege guilds, and most would rather T1 if at all which was surprising to hear. Totally different vibe from when I was playing actively in wars which just tells me there is something that the players don't like. My best guess is that with the softcap rising, it is getting extremely hard to keep up? Even my 600GS feels like a wet noodle at times which is pretty demotivating. Although things have been made "easier" by PA, it might not be enough still. Also could just be people upset with the massive class imbalance too. Just my guess. Either way, people that I knew who loved doing NW no longer really care to participate which is telling on it's own. Am I crazy or have you guys noticed this too?

edit: Now I am hearing how they reduced the amount of Nodes you can place on since the fights were thinning out.

Please try not to be too toxic. I understand that I could be completely wrong and that's okay. Just something I've thought about.

#1 LiquidEmotion, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    flukeSG2, Distaken, HucKa and 3 others like this.
  2. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

Why would anyone want to compete in a boxing match where one can just buy metal boxing gloves and you are giving tape to wrap your hands to compete with. The game's monetization model is one that is Anti-Competitive in nature.

The PvP scene in NA was so bad that they took out a bunch of node war nodes to get players fighting again. What's happening is players start fighting elite whales or no-lifing vets and do no damage to them, while getting one skilled. Then Pearl Abyss threw the cash shop progression system in their faces.

I'll put it to you this way. Why waste my $40,000 or 20,000 hours or more just to get entry level PvP ready. When I can just go spend some time in MOBAs or FPSes practicing getting good in competitive at a fraction of a fraction of the cost of money and time. The honest answer is that the business model of BDO drives away more PvPers, than it brings in compared to actual competitive PvP titles.

- Smite I just have to spend $29.99 to get all past present and future content with no P2W and equalized combat.
    - Competitive Shooters I just have to pay for the game and boom I'm already entry level combat competitive ready.
    - Other MMOs offer Non-Cash Shop based progression and equalized PvP.
    With all that in mind. Why would I want to bleed my wallet and/or hands bloody just to gain entry into the PvP scene of BDO?

If I was you. Unless Pearl Abyss does a 180 degree turn around with the business model. Expect the PvP scene in BDO to degrade further like every single other P2W Korean MMO before it. Just be lucky it took BDO's PvP scene longer to degrade to that point.

3. Stealthe

Stealthe SteaIthe Wizard 62 NA

Competitive events in the game require grouping up

BDO despises grouping to the point where nobody is social and with life skilling being so big now their isnt even much pvp

MoonDance17 and Marzipan Stan like this.
  4. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

wait till u reach 650 and realize there are people to which you are legit mansha. gear disparity in this game is boinkers imbalanced.

5. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

What is the GS gate to be competitive in PvP in BDO? How much money and time does it realistically take to reach that minimal entry? I'm talking about RBF and T2 NWs and up?

6. WhySoSeeryus

In all honesty, T2 nodewars wont be fun for anyone below at least 590-600 gearscore. Id say 289/331 is what ud want. Some classes might perform better with less due to better defensive or offensive mechanics.

RBF id prolly also recommend at least 580 gs.

T1 is a bag of potatoes from what ive heard depending on the difficulty (easy medium hard?) But its not uncommon to have people with way above 600 gs there riding gear advantage on stats that arent really capped.

7. Wollbert

Wollbert Witch 61 EU

Im at 590 gs rn and i can tell you p2w or gear are not the big guys here.
    once i was in a siegeguild holding every region for several weeks. and i always was competing with people way above my GS.
    There i'll tell you the biggest problems this game has.

No. 1: 5k HP in siege was a bullcrap change. it only benefits a handful of classes while others need 40 pots to fullheal once.
    i guts comborelying classes coz they actually cant kill anyone with their long unprotected combos while classes like guardian still oneshotting 15k HP with one 360° aoe swing.
    not to mention you are locked from pvp content for a week if you own a region. so why pvp interested people should play it.

No. 2: This game is filled with exploiters. started by a certain known siegeguild. that exploited everything they found and exploited themselves to 700gs.
    now they splittered in small guild to fk up every kind of nodewar and also splittering into once legit
    guilds to infect them like a growing abscess of exploiting and hacking cancer in this game.
    Not even starting with RMT accounts.

No. 3: Class balancing as mentioned is a joke. if you want to stay competitive you have to choose from AT BEST 5 viable classes or you need to reroll your already chosen class.
    the metachanging is so bad in BDO, you have better balance in every MOBA where you can pick another hero every time.
    furthermore every gimp can switch to succession. Wizard, Lahn, DK and Valk are among the
    worst examples. practically making veterans with their years of knowledge and training on the class useless.
    its only disgusting how the devs treat their players. 5 years of false promising and the balance only gets worse everytime they try. if they are just clueless or want to sell coupons, i dont know.

No. 4: Toxic and selfish community. and i dont even talk about the vocal attitude.
    just go RBF on a renown channel like Velia 4 and tell me how many wizards you see in there. After that tell me how many timey they tried to KS you, eventho they might get you and himself in danger with it.
    then tell how many heals or buffs you got from him. out of 100 wizards i can name 1 or 2 who i feel good with fighting teamfights.
    same goes for valk players. with some very rare exceptions they will just behind you all the time (me playing a range class, if that was not clear) blocking. saving all their skill to killsteal you instantly, if you manage to catch some people into a CC. they dont try to protect you, they dont care if there are more enemys to catch. they steal your stuff, retreat fulllife into your backline and letting you die.
    So many people tell me imbalanced gearscore is the problems in rbf but it isn't. it is the pure inability to set up a proper teamfight. thats the case for 99.9% of the playerbase including the 700gs RMT exploiters. but they at least can stay in 20 people getting no damage. not because they're immortal rather because the enemy team is also not able to smite someone.
    how often my teammates wank up my combo with their blind spamming of light CCs. Warriors try to grab someone already in my knockdown. other range classes SPAMMING DOWNSMASH a one second CC on my 5 second CC. and then they wonder why people with higher GS just stand up immune to an other CC. RBF aside i dont think people doing any different in serious pvp content, because they dont know how.

The devs showing no intensions to fix RBF they dont add necessary things, they just dont care. they dont add a assitance system to prevent the killstealing issue in any pvp content. they add an other obstacle into RBF map because my dash doesn't get stuck often enough and call it a day. now they add otter pvp... great.

thats my experience as one of the highest ranked RBF players in EU/NA.
    over the last months and with the release of succ and guardian, competitive pvp is a big joke and hardly enjoyable anymore. even if you play guardian or some favorite class, how it can be fun to press 2 buttons and not beeing able to see your screen anymore, due to red killmessages?

#7 Wollbert, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Decoy#401, Nubek, Poll_Iana and 8 others like this.
  8. sajdas

wish i could like this comment 100 more times, agree with everything.

MoonDance17 and Jinoro like this.
  9. BDO_Nictofilia

This is so true. I've never been too active at all like other players are (grinding, mostly), but I always found my way to make a decent profit without spending 10hours smashing mobs or whatever. Many times I've thought the same, and I've felt upset that I have to spend/wait a huge among of time (even more than active players who grind and do more content for in-game profit) not to be good, but at least to be something significant in PvP.

I guess we keep playing BDO despite all this negative feedback because we expect it to adapt to the player's opinions, and I really hope so, because this game is good, and could be even greater and still gain a good amount of money if they just look for a way to adapt. It'd be sad to see a game like BDO fall because of this, and Ill admit that one of the reasons I keep playing casually is because I havent seen anything that compares to BDO's combat, graphics, etc... So the day a game appears and it's focused on having fun with no P2W instead of spending hours and hours and large amounts of effort just to become kinda good, we'll see what happens.

I gave up plenty of time ago in investing time and effort in this game, I just prefer to do simple content casually and afk barter and progress, even if it's slowly, it sounds better to me than having to do things that don't make me happy at all.

#9 BDO_Nictofilia, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  10. Mayuri

This is what happens when PvP in a game is extremely gear based and when that gear is extremely time consuming and boring to get (but can still be bought with real life cash).

Which is also how every korean mmorpg ended in our markets, e.g: Lineage II, RF Online, Aion, TERA, Blade and Soul (<- at least this one had equalized arenas with rankings).

Speaking about rankings, there is no competitive PvP in BDO because there are no rankings, sure, you can log-in and go on Velia 4 BA, but, 90% of the fights are going to be boring because you will meet people that are not on your same skill level.

11. LiquidEmotion

You sound like me. There was a time when I really tried. Like pushed hard to get gear until I eventually started doing siege. All that work just to realize that my gear will soon not be enough. 2 months later my 580gs was becoming obsolete. And then once my 600gs felt obsolete I just stopped caring. I wouldn't mind if I wasn't 0/72 on PEN attempts. This was just ONE of the reasons aside from PvP being a completely unbalanced mess that made me just say "screw it" and retire. I wouldn't mind needing to climb if it didn't require so much of your life dedicated to it just for mediocre results.

Casual life has been a lot more chill but the only downside is the feeling of falling behind. I might as well just forget that BDO even has PvP.

12. BDO_Nictofilia

If the feeling of falling behind was already big, imagine when people start getting Black Star gear (somehow). I almost dont return to the game when I saw this new gear was being implemented cause it would've been impossible to catch up, but luckily barely anyone has it yet.

Fearless V and LiquidEmotion like this.
  13. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

More people would want to be competitive in BDO. If being competitive in BDO didn't mean you have to sell your left kidney and or give up your personal life. BDO's price to be competitive is just too high compared to other games. Than you have eSport titles where you can turn Pro into the money. That don't require nearly as much to be competitive.

Again BDO does the opposite of enticing a competitive environment. Therefor less and less people want to stay competitive the older they get. And because of the Cash Shop progression system it has. Less and less kids have access to that type of money. Now if BDO had a equalized eSport venue it'll be a completely different story. But Koreans have shown time and time and time again that they are against making equalized PvP games.

14. LiquidEmotion

I legit laughed so hard the first time I heard about BDO's esport live events. How in the hell can this game be remotely competitive on an even playing field and try to take theirselves seriously.

15. woots

why would anyone want to remain "competitive", when in that game "competitive" mean : follow and roulette the lastest powercreep gear.
    Even more when you speak about pvp.

What's the point when all pvp need to be nice is : players and that's it.

its not even like the BDO gear bring some deep stat personalisation or something like somes games do. its a flat power increase that change nothing except a disparity between players that goes against everything a "pvp" game provide..

After, BDO ( apparently except for t1 with the limited GS ) never really was thought to be a pvp game tho even it it has the base for.

16. Stealthe

Stealthe SteaIthe Wizard 62 NA

That's exactly why I play bdo...for hope.

It is a game that has more potential than any game ive ever played and the only it needs to make it go from an okay game with huge potential to the game of my dreams is creating group content.

And with weekly updates I feel like one of them one day has got to finally add it

I play for that hope.

sajdas and BDO_Nictofilia like this.
  17. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

I stopped worrying about gear improvements when I got full tet boss armour and weapons plus tri yellow accessories. I am resigned to the fact that I cannot do any of the later content and am at the end of my time with this game.

18. Artorias_Dusk

Todays competitive starts at full pen c9 armor, pen weapons and tet accessories. You know BDO. By now, Pen armors are 25bil+ to buy. It is to much. P2w totally ruined the game.
    Oh, forgot, only a handfull of classes are able to enjoy competitive "content".

19. WhySoSeeryus

whats even better is when u actually get full c9 and still feel like wearing +15 grunil due to some peoples gear and/or classes :D

20. LiquidEmotion

That's what bothers me so much. Not only do I have to get Pen armor, which is a feat on its own, but you have to put caphras (which cost more now) in it and you could still get melted at times. Tbh I think it's fine that you die fast but....all that effort just to survive a bit longer. That's the problem with this game. It asks for way too much. I thought this over a year ago but it is worst now. The target audience for endgame PvP is an interesting type.