1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this the advent of the no pvp servers?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Allan1985, Dec 24, 2019.

?

Do you want PVE only channels?

1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. No

148 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Don't care

43 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Lord_Xenon

Playing on different hardware with different controlls result in different approaches. But that simple fact is going over your head it seem? Maybe find a teacher that show you at kids and adults how they solve problems with strength needed.

Nurgaflux, Smileybones and AZzalor like this.
  2. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 63 NA

I agree too. If PvE only servers are added to the stable of regular, accessible-any-time, servers, this will not be adding to the game, but taking away from it. OW PvP is a staple feature of BDO since its launch, being marketed as an open world PvX sandbox hardcore MMORPG. But, as with this company, the easiest / cheapest / fastest solution is often times their answer - a la Shadow Arena.

Instead of diminishing the game's features by disabling them completely, they should - as a "good" developer - ADD TO THE GAME, not subtract from it.

A reworking of our current Karma system into something innovative, engaging, fresh and NEW > taking something away because it's the easiest, fastest and cheapest fix.

Bounty System +/ Reworking Karma System is needed. It will benefit ALL players, regardless of whether they PvP or not. OW PvP-ers get content (hunting red players, protecting the weak) and non-PvP-ers get a form of protection with a working and functional Bounty System (forced PvP PK = instant red, can have their location searched for by bounty hunters via NPC, bounty hunter win = red player TP'd to jail, red player loses crystals and EXP, bounty hunter gets silver / red player wins = receives 30 min AP + DP buff. Risk & reward for both sides. Perceptibly equal amount of incentive for both. Excitement, a sense of purpose, engaged NO-AFK content, opportunities to RP for non-RPers (cops and robbers type of thing), and more.

Imagine the glorious RP. Imagine having something with PURPOSE to do when it comes to OW PvP - other than simply wanting to get your jollies. Imagine having in-game "police" to call when things get out of hand. Telling you, people never think about innovation these days. Cookie cutter, cut and dry, simple solutions pale in comparison to innovation. All they want to do is remove, cancel, "I don't like this because it hurts my feelings and causes me to nerd-rage so remove it" type of things. SMDH.

As for PvP restriction on Olvia, it's the right move, IMO, but for normal servers that all can enter...I have a really bad feeling about this.

3. LesserHellspawn

I'd switch to a PvE only server instantly, never looking back. I play the game to immerse myself in this incredibly detailed world.

xMinamie, Krixil, Khondo and 4 others like this.
  4. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

PvE only server defeats the entire purpose of the game, it would be no different then fallout 76's failed private server system then. Or the other failed game thats exactly like EvE yet has no pvp.
    If you want that, just dont level past 49.

What they need to do is fix the AP brackets so the majority of players can hit max benefits, or just make it pve only, fix the karma and karma bombing consequence on death systems, and other much needed fixes. Provide actual benefits for owning nodes, such as territory control, fix sieges provide guild incentives like portals etc for owning castles, and add more PvP systems, etc.

#64 Kynreaa, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    IWalkAlone and PeaceInChaos like this.
  5. Roechacca

Good change and I expect the game to become more popular with this option.

Wodahs and Fearless V like this.
  6. Factorial

I thought you believed that different kinds of people play mobile and PC version and it was impossible for them to mix.

So now it's the controls that determine who plays what. Hardware is also a determinant on who plays what. That's hilarious.

Could you give me more silly assumptions?

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  7. IWalkAlone

Tera had PvP at low level at begining, no restrictions.Then they made it no PVP before lvl60.
    Tera is ghost town now.Thats how minority pvp players are...

8. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

I'm working in the online marketing business and doing target audience research is what i do on daily basis. Through my career i've also did some marketing for mobile games and from experience i can tell you that the target audience for most of those games is a very different one from the one you'd target with pc games.
    So no, not false claims but actual facts from my work.

9. IWalkAlone

But you are still here, what happend with your beloved ESO.If you hate so much BDO why you are still here?
    And Dont tell me because of grafics, you can watch screenshots and stay in cities only...

AZzalor likes this.
  10. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

Trying to compare a pseudo-sandpark game like BDO. To a fully sandbox game like Eve Online is blasphemy. Too much to compare BDO to Eve. You are better off comparing BDO to a game like DCUO than to Eve Online.

Why not just stop this passive aggressive argument. And just come out and tell everyone. Who don't think it's right to be griefed by overgeared dicks. To just leave game and don't come back. That approach works wonders, don't it.

This last part from you is the only thing a agree with you on. Bonus AP brackets should never have any effect on other players. It only serves to alienate a vast majority of players from progressing in BDO. That's before we even talk about it's poor enhancement system.

Yes even I have to admit BDO's karma system is evil. But it's a very necessary evil. As PA's tightening the Karma system around unending griefing in the past has proved. But not sooner than bonus gear stats are removed from PvP.

Yes again I agree that PvP in this game needs some incentives for guilds. But the incentive has to take in mind how much gear is needed to perform at such levels. But BDO need incentives for guilds as whole other than being a chat box.

LesserHellspawn likes this.
  11. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

Your proof for this statement is lacking. You are expressing an opinion.

Nurgaflux likes this.
  12. woots

that game have no purpose other than milk you hard during the gear "enhance" process. "pvp" is just a bait to make you enhance because gear2win.
    The only thing "pve" server would do is more or less defeats how PA look to scam you / show player how that "game" is just so empty of any basic pve content ( hamster wheel mob bashing from lvl 1 to lvl XX isnt content )
    Or maybe just promote the only thing that game have to offer, walk around the well made open world, read various quest and get out.

LesserHellspawn likes this.
  13. WinterMilla

I mean cool they PvE locked olvia.... big whoop. Don't get me wrong I'm not hating the change, I'm just not thrilled about it either. It would be like hearing how they put a gate up around a secluded island that no one can get into except a few people. If they wanted to make a point they should have done the same as they did with arsha and make a server for it. Then we can see the real effects of it.

14. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

Not really because you now need to enhance all the different life skill gear if you want to maximise your profits.

15. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

Yet... What's wrong with this argument?
    If a player comes on BDO, a game clearly described as a game with both pve AND pvp, and then chooses to reach level 50 despite the obvious warning about PVP being activated after lvl 49, before complaining about being pked and asking for pve channels... Isn't that illogical?

On the same idea than the one you showed, we could tell pro pve channels to stop being hypocritical about a pve channel being necessary for the game and a good commercial move, when they simply don't care about the health of the game and just want a game that fits their egotistical desires.
    I mean, both claims are as dumb and simplistic and we've seen better arguments on both sides.

16. Blacksheep

Blacksheep 60 EU

Tera had at start already the choose between full "PvE" servers and normal open world PvP servers.

BDO never gave such option. You are always forced to do pvp. In Tera you could do the choose.

Pk system is not the main failure of the pvp system in my view, more how unbalanced and unfair the pvp system is.

You simply have no fun in one sek, one tab interaction fights. (Even more how insane the progress was behind them with pve bounded content)

At the start of the game i saw pk more as roleplay element. You just make your influence with fear and horror to gain some "fame".

The fight was also quite balanced. You did not feel completely helpless if you got ambushed while grinding. (Which is a huge advance for pvp to gain the moment of surprise)

17. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

Wether you like it or not, that is also content.
    A thing many players forget that in most games, not only mmos, you will have some sort of grind. Some games try to hide it, some don't.
    In many mmos you'll have to grind the same dungeon over and over and over and over and ****ing over again to get the gear with the godroll you want. And be it a dungeon you have to grind or slay the same monsters endlessly, in the end both is boring and repetitive content.
    I personally enjoy the 2nd one more and never liked dungeons or raids. It surely encourages teamwork, but i prefer grinding as i get home after a long day of work and can just turn my brain off and grind in semi-autopilot.

You always have the option to play a game that fits your liking. It's like buying call of duty and then complaining it's not battlefield.

Why is int unbalanced and unfair? Because gear gives adventage?
    I'd argue that this does not make it unfair and the boundries that are set to pk by the pk system already make the agressor automatically the loser. If you'd actually gain something from pking someone, i might agree, but with the current karma and pk system, flagging up and pking is just shooting yourself in the leg. Hopefully they'll make openworld pvp more interesting and rework the bandit sytstem (as they hinted at recently).

Then you are not building the right gear or you play wrong. I rarely get fights that are just over in a second. The fight doesn't start with the first cc but with the first agressive interaction. Sure, if a ninja waits invisible for you and then oncombos you, i can understand that frustration, but for that to happen you will basically have to stay still or barely move.
    Besides that, trying to outmaneuver, dodging abilities, trading fgs/sa is what most of the fights are about until one side ****s up and imo it's a lot of fun.
    Also so many players complain, that they get oneshot and then never build dp...why? You can easily get a good evasion build going that is hard to counter and even a decent dr build is not difficult to get nowadays. Of course you're getting oneshot if you build for a glasscannon build.

At the start of the game, pking actually had a meaning as pvp deaths would result in xp and crystals loss, this is also what the karma system was designed for. You pay the price of karma for the chance of killing an unwanted player, but you still have the risk of him killing you and you losing xp/crystals yourself.
    After the removal of pvp death penalities, pking started to decline and nowadays is basically non-existent, as players will rather try to outgrind other players and try to be as annoying as possible than try to duel or settle a dispute otherwise.
    It was clearly stated that this games original design was meant for players to fight for limited ressources (grinding spots/gathering spots) and out of those conflicts, guildwars are started and guilds will fight over good spots between each other. A very good vision which didn't work out as planned.

I still do not feel helpless or ambushed while grinding. If you see a white dot on the minimap, assume it's an enemy. Be aware of them and when they get close, be ready to fight. I rarely get into a position where someone would jump on me and i'm not prepared, that is basically bad play on your side.

Nurgaflux likes this.
  18. TheWorld

I don't think anyone cared about pvp in tera. All the youtube comments saying why they quit was about tera becoming p2w.

Dalenos and AZzalor like this.
  19. Factorial

Hilarious.

Oh yeah, I too work in marketing and have proven beyond a doubt that BDO mobile players are entirely different from BDO PC which are also different from BDO console. I am speaking from experience too.

Because at the end of the day, MMORPG players are different from MMORPG players. I am sure you got some more nonsensical claims, keep them coming, please.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  20. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

"Why not just stop this passive aggressive argument. And just come out and tell everyone. Who don't think it's right to be griefed by overgeared dicks. To just leave game and don't come back. That approach works wonders, don't it."

Its not passive aggressive, its literally how the game was designed..If you dont want to PvP, and prefer to life skill only..What purpose do you have to go past level 49? And how long do people plan to stay undergeared..gear progression in the game is a huge problem initself, and turning off pvp in olvia makes since, but dedicating a whole server where people can just hop in an out of is not the solution to a more fair and balanced game. This game needs to solve the balance issues one of two ways, either increase access to people being able to get to max state, as thats the only way balance can be adjusted, or just make gear progression like leveling..After softcap its like leveling past 61...the gains are minimal, some people do it just cause they want to and can, then balance PvP around that.

I'm sure 2 people full PEN +20 caphrased fighting each other is as fair as it gets. So getting there shouldn't take 5+years, and thousands of dollars in lost wages, or investment, nor should getting there be the end all be all of the game to such a point that people would have nothing else to do, due to lack of PA giving players anything fun or competitive to do with max GS.

A main flaw with PvP in this game is the gear gap and lack of consequence, or incentives, especially with the investment required to close gear gaps. Why cant the AP brackets top off at around 250 AP, or just be Pve only..iv heard arguments like people would be immortal...Well then sounds like they found a good build choice to tank...it encourages build choice, etc. Why cant loyalties be gained from PvP kills from a warring guild, etc

People hate losing..its just not fun, especially losing without ever standing a chance, adjust the AP brackets and more people wouldn't mind PvP if they can defend themselves. Tossing more servers at problems PA themselves refuses to address is not the answer.

Nurgaflux likes this.