1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's time you implement current resistance !

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Draconnix, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

We got statistic in game but it does nothing now, pls implement it because going against tide even on best of ships is simply not fun and does not serve anything! I beg you ! Poke pearl abyss and ask them to get it done!

Lillesofie, Lefteye and magret like this.
  2. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Going against the tide is supposed to slow you down.....that's how tides and sailing work....>.>

If you found some mystickal way to undo that law of physics, please write to the US Navy, they could use the info.

<.< We don't have motors on our boats, and in BDO - motorboat is a completely different subject

AZzalor and Arkadia like this.
  3. NixZero

how many Ohm?

4. chendu

Agreed on the "slow you down"... but a 40 current almost stops you net on track even with a 40 wind going in your favour
    Also I'm pretty sure modern naval mobility units don't care that much about current ... unless deep underwater but then again I'm pretty sure a nuclear submarine could move counter current pretty deep

zhagsten and Lefteye like this.
  5. Nakuls

The current doesn't need a work-through, It needs to be implemented to make sense. There are no IN-flows and out-flows. And going from 1 way to the other is PERMANENTLY bad.

The idea of trade routes should be that 1 way is fast in. 1 way is fast out. At least in a game with this size of an ocean.

E.G. you should be able to travel from the west of Margoria to the east quickly If you find the right current. BUT THERE ISN'T ONE.

Draconnix, magret and Lefteye like this.
  6. Lefteye

It’s even worse than that. I’ve had 500+ wind behind me with 40 current against and my boat still moves at a snail’s pace. The mechanics just don’t seem to be functioning correctly.

Allan1985, Phoenixxx75 and Draconnix like this.
  7. Fearless V

Fearless V Ranger 61 NA

Don't worry the solution to this issue. Will be in the pearl shop soon. :D

8. Riandrisael

Yea current seems broken to me tbh, seems to slow you down even going with the current which seems like the opposite of how it should be working? It's a fine idea and would be cool if it mattered more than just slowing everything down at this point if anything I would say just remove it or rework it with how bad it seems to work. It gets to the point where the wind doesn't seem to matter much like for instance 0 current and 40 wind is 100% speed on the bar but going with 40 current and same 40 wind is like 50-60% speed, that seems broken and dumb to me. I get that current should be important but it shouldn't just be a supernatural force that always slows your boat no matter what direction you or the current is going.

Not to mention current shouldn't be used to literally wall off sections of the sea you don't want us going that's not exactly fun or how it should work lol. Like going to candidums I think the only option to avoid the current is to go behind or near crows nest and head west which is so insanely out of the way it's not realistic so it's like forcing you to go through 30 or 50 current to get through them every day for dailies, with only real way to combat that is by going slightly sideways and getting a bit of a break by maybe going through vell's realm too.

So, just kinda sad a system that would have been cool was ruined by just how bad it functions to the point where it's just easier to ignore it and avoid areas of 30+ current if you can than to try to map out the faster routes. Not to mention this is coming from someone with a 155% speed boat that can ignore these stupid problems while others that have slower boats are forced to go at a crawl or even worse forced to go 10-30 minutes or more out of their way to avoid that boring gameplay.

Lefteye and Draconnix like this.
  9. magret

sometimes i'm facing a 400 wind and 0 current according to the UI yet i'm faster, i fold the sail and i go slower, so i unfold back and it does nothing

most of the time it makes no sense, and i can't tell for certain if it impacts ram length or not and if having the sail folded does anything at all when the wind is actually against you, or if it's just the minimap that scales differently in different zones (i aim ram with the circle length... i try at least)

zhagsten likes this.
  10. magret

I have goblins

Allan1985, Andaro and Draconnix like this.
  11. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

I am talking about sailor skill current resistance.

12. Lefteye

I’ve noticed that too. Even posted a thread in the bug section about it. I’ve been flying along with just a 100 or more wind behind me and no current, then a current shows up(from behind which should speed my boat up) and I start moving slower. The whole system just seems out of whack.

Draconnix likes this.
  13. Allan1985

you never cease to amaze me andaro, not only you are deeply ignorant you also try to spread that ignorance as much as you can, so allow me to destroy that cancer with some education before you go any further:

1) the max speed of a sailboat is limited by its length, and its called hull speed, hence different types of boats have different speeds tested under the same current:

https://improvesailing.com/questions/average-sailboat-speed

Hence a carrack, a silboat and a frigate should have different base speeds, yet ingame a Epheria Carrack - Advance have the same base speed as a frigate -->(110%)

2) a cannon is something heavy, yet ingame it gives you positve weight capacity, then according to your statement PA must have contacted the US Navy already, right?? (i love it when your own words turn around and bite you)

https://bdocodex.com/us/item/49742/#1

upload_2020-1-14_12-47-27.png

3) Having shown how inaccurate the game is in terms of realism lets take a look at reality: A sailboat max speed record reached 121.1 Km/hr (75.2 miles/hr) in 2012 wich is faster than the allowed highway speed in 80% of the countries worldwide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_sail
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

yet my Epheria Carrack: Advance with 141.4% movement speed moves faster with 0 current than with positive current (you would know this if you had ever sailed a boat in BDO)

i could be here all day long ridiculizing you but i guess this is more than enough evidence for even yourself to realize your "realism" and "laws of physics" arguments are nothing more than BS.

#13 Allan1985, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Eternal2nd and Lefteye like this.
  14. Allan1985

i totally agree, i finished my carrack 3 days ago and i believe its speed is utter BS, it kinda makes me regret the 600+ hrs of bartering i had to go trough to get it, i have 141.4% movement speed and the only moment in wich i find it satisfying is when having current = 0, i tought about creating a thread about it but i am so sick of this game BS that i decided to simply go back to TERA.

15. zhagsten

The system of currents is very video gamey (we even have a current detector on our boats) and just feels like a poor conveyor belt gameplay.
    The main influence for a ship with large sails and oars is wind. That's the whole principle of a sailboat. I don't know why they insist so much on current, we're not sailing on rivers.
    In the end it's a false good idea. It's like the day/night cycle, video game devs like to implement something to make it more immersive and whatnot, but it ends up not being fun to play. It's just a constraint you have to undergo and not an obstacle that you overcome to get a benefit and are punished if you fail.

If anything they should implement it more interestingly to be something to play with. If there's a current going through the straight to Hakoven in one direction, then you place another current going by the coast on the North (currently blocked by invisible walls) to get back. And you give something to play, like adjusting the angle of your ship and your sail to get speed from side wind.

As always, they have an idea, they design a poor version (and it doesn't even works as displayed, there's hidden mechanics) and it will never be changed ever. It's half-done, time to go half-do something else.

Great Expedition part 2 soon btw. Not allowed to judge without it, right?

Lefteye and magret like this.