1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came back confused on changes today

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Brutex, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Rickter

Rickter Ricktr Warrior 62 NA

hey thanks for the indepth explanation. I am aware that there is a GM named "Richter" but I assure you, I have been "Rickter" since 2006 when i coined the name on the Tanaris server in World of Warcraft which I have used in 18 MMORPGs to date. I have 269 days /played in Elder Scrolls Online and used the name there since early access.

in any case, thank you again for the in depth explanation.

Not trying to start an argument, but a lot of what you listed sounds like "pay for convenience" where everything is still obtainable/can be accomplished in game, but rl currency will boost the speed at which its obtained.

Considering that an MMORPG is an open-ended, neverending game, the rate at which you obtain high level "endgame" gear is highly subjective. therefore, you cant label something as "Pay to Win" unless the urgency at which endgame is achieved and dwelt in directly affects what you can do in this game.

The fact that "endgame" can be completely ignored in lieu of life skills and other activities, the "p2w" concern and accusation sounds even more outlandish.

AZzalor likes this.
  2. aidlac

aidlac Nomad Wizard 59 EU

Well for example: whales can now enchant and try again over and over, as long as they are paying. All the way to the top (PEN/highest enchantment level). The people with PEN before this was about 1200-1300 ppl in total after 2 years on NA+EU servers combined. Add in that over a million copies of the game have been sold and that % is below 0.0015%. Can you with a straight face say that's just convenience? If you know only 0.0012-0.0013% of ALL players (not accounting for leavers/rage quits, inactive ppl, unlucky failstacking (like a heve PEN when trying to failstack for pen attempt on for example boss gear) and other whales will be able to compete with you?

You can get about 500 million silver/week by selling cash shop costumes in-game via marketplace.
    Pets one could argue but that's something you can get in-game via attendance or lucky at marketplace. The monthly value pack most players buys gives 30% less tax though when selling things on marketplace so that one could argue that's p2w (since you'll always have more than a non paying user in terms of silver if you play equally much/sell the exact same stuff).

You can argue that buffs from costumes and extra exp is p2w but personally I find that convenience since leveling becomes too slow to do after what? 60-61 for most? And buffs you can make up for with gems and foods.

3. Allan1985

and dont look back

Attached Files:

4. SkullMonkey

Wait what?

5. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

P2conveniance went out the window along time ago, Such a system means cosmetic only..This game could be more accurately defined as mandatory pay2play, or p2lose. and yes p2Win if your have good RNG, so it takes advantage of more then just one profit method, and Is Buy to play as well.

The minimum cost for this game is roughly $40-80, after that you could argue you do not need a value pack, but this is part where you p2lose, cause even that monthly sub only negates the nerf every player starts the game with.

The cost to p2win is too much for any casual player, so only those willing to pay the obscene cost can truly p2w.

One can do this by literally buying silver, and cron stones with real cash. Before people had to make silver in game..Now that can be circumvented,
    P2w does not always mean you do not have access in game, it means people can circumvent ingame mechanics with real currency.
    Something that based on ingame mechanics that is no matter what takes you 2-3 years to obtain, a person can just pay obscene amounts of money to obtain in 1/8th the time, maybe even less.

6. WarLeX

Airships in the last update?

Attached Files:

7. JerryBoyle

Every time you fail when using cron stones, you get caphra energy that levels up your items. Just like it does when using a caphra stone. Goes away after getting a success though.

8. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

Hmm...So from tet to pen you only need to buy enough costumes to fail 20 times, then you can force enhance?

9. JerryBoyle

It's not one level per costume. So you'll need more then 20 for the force enchant. Curious to know how many you'll need for it.

10. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

For a majority that have time to play games..Money is not an obstacle. So Based on math, pretend anyone makes a median income from living in DC/San Fran..Or even Sweden...It is not one level per costume correct, but one level per % of $s spent. If you cannot afford to win then do not even attempt to play...Or people gamble, and there is the "fun" I guess.

If you are curious toward how much is needed to spend..Then you are out of your league.
    If you need to ask big guy..You cannot afford it.

11. AZzalor

AZzalor Hyneria Maehwa EU

And who said those people spend money to cronstone?
    I melted old costumes i don't use anymore and got 3.6k cronstones out of it...most of the people in my guild did the same and so did probably most of the bdo population. When you have thousands of players melting their old costumes and go do 1-3 pen tries, ofc a few will succeed.
    Wait a few weeks and then check how many actually do that.

12. EvL

EvL

I'll have to agree to disagree Rickter...

Because even though you say it sounds like pay for convenience because everything is still obtainable/can be accomplished in the game.. that's a lie.

All players can get to the same endgame result/objective.

In BDO.. it is the "process" that is pay to win.

There's nothing in this game that a player can do to make 20 billion in one week. It is unobtainable unless your swiping a credit card..

If there was another method in game for players to make 20 billion a week then i wouldn't consider it pay to win i would consider it an ALTERNATIVE.. you don't want to do it by using the game methods? Okay. Here swipe your card.

An alternative to people who don't want to do it via the games methods. This is what i would consider a convenience.

However, this doesn't exist.. no one in this game can make 20bil a week at the drop of a dime, whenever they wanted, at any time they wanted. Any week they wanted.

So it doesn't matter if the same endgame/objective can be achieved by anyone.. the process to get there "can't" and that PROCESS makes it P2W.