1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kamasylvia Fan Art Contest!

Discussion in 'Events' started by CM Aethon, Sep 27, 2017.

1. PandoraRose

Considering I don't do social media.. nah.. About all that is of any interest to me is the title.
    Also don't need the tablet anyway. I already have an Intuos 4 small(giving it to a friend), Intuos 4 Large, and Yiynova MVP22U V3.

Good luck to any budding artists.

You and I have the same mouse. =x

#41 PandoraRose, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. KnightWing50

how do i play this game were do i go to

3. Rogahn

Rogahn Keevan Wizard 59 EU

If you mean the Kamasylvia part you have to be at 58lvl to accept a story questline for BS that gets you there, or just run south of Hexe ;)
    If you mean The game in general, there is a lot to go throug xD since BDO is quite different in many ways from your regular MMO but start with doing immersion quests at Olivia and Velia that teach you the hang of things and after that decide what you want to do in game :)

4. Supermarket

No, even if I did art for DC (which many comic artists like me do), DC couldn't take our work and use it for promotion purposes. The character is their IP, but the labor is ours. There has to be an agreement (read: signed contract) there.

5. Supermarket

I'd like for Kakao to look into the wording of that bit in the future. In the wrong sphere of professional artists, that sort of wording can raise an awful furor, and rightly so. You don't get to use someone's work unless you come into a proper contract with them--otherwise, hands-off please.

6. Asterotis

11.2. LICENSE GRANTED ON USER CONTENT

The User grants Kakao Games Europe a worldwide, sublicensable, transferable and free license on the User Content, for the duration of protection of User Content by any applicable intellectual property legislation, to:

- reproduce and display User Content on the official social networks pages of the Game, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube;

- reproduce and display User Content on the Website.

The User also allows Kakao Games Europe to communicate the User Content to third parties, including fan-sites of the Game and other medias for the purpose of promoting the Game and/or the User Content.

Kakao Games Europe will not attempt to generate any direct revenue from the User Content (i.e. by selling the User Content) without the prior approval of the User, unless such approval was provided by the User prior to taking part to an event organized by Kakao Games Europe for the specific User Content the User provided by the User for this event. The User shall not withhold its approval on unreasonable grounds.

7. Supermarket

Look, if you accept that kind of treatment from your clients, ones who don't sign a contract with you before using your work and you're fine with that, then go with God, my dear. No one is stopping you.

But as it is, that little bit Kakao said about using everyone's work for promotion purposes is almost worthy of sending off to For Exposure.

8. Asterotis

I've signed contracts with many companies in the past, I think you didn't read this though, we've agreed to their terms and rules the moment we created an account.

Kakao Games Europe will not attempt to generate any direct revenue from the User Content (i.e. by selling the User Content) without the prior approval of the User, unless such approval was provided by the User prior to taking part to an event organized by Kakao Games Europe for the specific User Content the User provided by the User for this event. The User shall not withhold its approval on unreasonable grounds.

You're more than welcome to just... NOT ENTER.

9. Supermarket

Well, good luck to you darling. Don't forget to check out Tapastic and their offerings for new artists as well. You might like them.

10. Asterotis

I was on Tapastic before, not interested in the slightest, and unless you already have a rather huge following, one wouldn't get anywhere there, comics aren't my thing btw, but you do you.

11. Kassenter

You know, I actually find it interesting when you embolden the ToU and try to decipher it.

So, what I can gather from this segment of the Terms of Use, that I snipped off your post is - Kakao is allowed to use your content as free advertisement for its website and service. While that doesn't inherently net them any revenue, (although it does save them resources due to not having to hire content creators, depending on the advertisement) I find the fact that you have an inability to consent to what other "third party" sees your work isn't worth it. If you want to enter the contest purely for fun, I would recommend that you take a crack at it - but other than that the entire thing seems sort of shady to me.

My recommendation is that if your goal is to be a freelance artist, or something of note that I would not participate in this contest. The potential of winning a hundred-dollar drawing tablet, is not worth the gift of giving them free advertising unless you love this game and its community that much. Even if you do not win or place in the contest, they will be entitled to use your work without compensation.

#51 Kassenter, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  12. Anna Dark

uhhuh :)

13. N0tl0c

scrub

14. woots

Lol, yeah that's exactly what they are doing since the days they requested facebook - twitter for thoses """"events""". And specialy created disclamer saying they own your work.
    ( They started that with a -trailer contest- if i remind correctly. )

= they are free to use your work to advertise the game as much as they want, and if they sell way more games because of that, its not selling the user content, but they still are making money with the work you made for free.

law is wonderfull.

#54 woots, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Supermarket likes this.
  15. Asterotis

Yet people here are still complaining about being "compensated" for fan work of IPs despite what I posted.

16. woots

when you are compensated ? if RNG pick you as winner ? And when kashkow are going to ask you to pay your price shipping ? xD

If the various contest ( trailer - screenshot - fan art ) was like the first fan art contest for the pirate thing, where kashkow didnt said "we own your work, we can do whatever we want to advertise the game with it"
    Sure, that would be clean, and made only to please the community, and that, whatever the price.
    ( I personaly did participated to that fan art contest with pleasure, and this whatever how bad was the reward for not beeing in the top 5 )

Now, that's totaly different. They even -order- you a work by requesting you to stage your character. xD

whatever if in the end they never use any of the various contest production to advertise the game, the intention is there ( and they certainly payed legal practitionner to create thoses disclamer )

So.. yeah.

#56 woots, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  17. GamePois0n

@CM Aethon

does short animation count as fan art?

18. Eollyn

Eollyn Heartilly Tamer 60 EU

If i am correct the first person who would win something like this must have some sort of skill. If it's being digital I am guessing the person already has same or better tablet. If it's traditional. I would be amazied that somebody would spend their time and paint to go for an art contest that you may or may not win. I personally can draw traditional and will neverr spend my expensive paint for such low price tablet (unless it's watercolours?). I have a bit better one that the one they offer which i got for 20$ and i used it for the past few years without a problem. My point is that they can offer at least 400$ tablet knowing the skill of the people that participated on the past pirate art contest. Or at least 100$ worth of pearls. And ones again no reward for all people who tried.

Bucl_TheW likes this.
  19. GreenSkadi

Tbh, the tablet really is not that fancy, no upgrade for mine either, would prefer 100€ worth of Pearls over it myself as well, as others already mentioned.
    Besides that, I take part in such contests cause I find it fun to draw something for a specific purpose, maybe something I wouldn't have drawn otherwise, and from there I don't mind such rules, I take part in my freetime and not as part of my job.

On a side note, anybody might want their Ranger to be a model for my artwork? PM me if you are interested, don't wanna cluster this thread.
    (Not sure I will manage to finish it in time as I am rather busy atm, so no guarantee that you get a finished piece with your char in the end.)

20. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 56 NA

I love art.
    Can't wait to see more Fanart & I can't wait to post mine! :-))

Anyone else working traditionally?!