1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karma Bombing

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ned Sheynji, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

Guess what time it is, guys! Yes its this time again. The time to talk about karma bombing.

I know, i know, all the talking behind this topic is getting more boring the longer it goes but i really have the urge to speak about it on a large scale.

You see, last weekend when i decided to grind, since lvl 61 is needed given the garbage that i call my equipment, i made a terrible mistake. I MISSED THE MORNING HOURS. As a result i overslept by 2-3 hours and startet grinding. "Maybe i will get lucky this time". Uh-huh... As if BDO has ever treated me with luck. I got karmabombed right 10 minutes after i started grinding. And this went on for hours. I couldn't get a single grind session longer than a few minutes without bombers destroying everything.

As a result my mind table flipped and i started insulting people since i just couldnt bear it anymore which in turn forced GMs to ban me for 24 hours because some of these douchebags decided to report it. As if those guys arent old enough to handle simple insults. Karma Bombing mission accomplished, wooohooooooo, and ofc like every other player that gets banned for bad behaviour i sat down and thought about what i have done...

HA WRONG!

It was a monday and i had to work anyway so it actually didnt affect me whatsoever. But grinding on weekends ruined by some sort of 80 AP lowgear pleb who just discovered how karma bombing works goes a bit against the idea of .... uhum.. let me quote from the GMs letter: "Provide a warm and pleasant atmosphere for everyone".

How the system currently works goes way too much into the favor of lowgeared newbies which makes sense since those guys havent been milked yet. All the veterans already played long enough and have spent so much money that they arent willing to sacrifice their christmas payment for the game anymore.

So as hot as talking about karma bombing gets me im afraid i cant blame anyone.
    Especially now that i decided to dont give a sht anymore and just go perma red... Which was fun so far btw. Ofc... If there isnt the fact that im actually not that stupid. Stupid enough to make this thread and stupid enough to go perma red but not stupid enough to not think about it.

As far as karma bombing is concerned lets shorten the problem. Like many of you know low geared get killed by high geared people which flag up. So the lowies return and bomb the high geared guy down until he is forced to leave the grindspot in fear of losing exp and expensive crystals.
    To keep things simple lets cut out all those guys which just randomly walk up and kill you because this sort of behaviour should be punished, which is the karma systems intention in the first place.
    Unfortunately this system only does half his job because if some high geared player starts grinding for half an hour a random lowbie can still walk up and take the spot if the high geared is stupid enough to flag and kill him. And since this game is driving high geared players to low gear spots because of efficiency there is next to no way to not get into contact with this kind of behaviour.

So this is what we are going to tackle today: Low geared people randomly killing mobs and forcing the high geared people to kill them in order to bomb their karma down.

I dont have much knowledge about the games coding but i assume its mostly written in C++ because thats a quite solid standard for games nowadays. Usually im working with unity which uses C# but the concepts are pretty similiar.
    And since PA doesnt seem to be smart enough to figure out a simple solution to prevent karma bombing we, the community, have to do it.

The idea behind this is following:

Once the player kills a mob his location(Node) and his channel will be saved and the mobcounter goes up.
    Once the mobcounter reaches the gearscore of the player * 2 + 100 the player rank will be counted up by 1.
    Keep in mind that Gearscore in this regard will the sum of AP, Awa AP and DP to spare non awakened people from the vastly outpowered awakenings.
    The players rank can get as high as 5 which will be the cap. Once the player leaves the node or the channel rank and counter will be obviously reset (To limit Bell Hoppers).
    Example:
    2 players on the Elric Shrine node.
    If both players have rank 1 and one decides to flag everything will stay to the current system.
    However if the player who reaches rank 2 flags and kills the rank 1 person no karma loss will be applied.

Ofc these numbers can be tweaked and as with every system this one presents some issues regarding nodes with multiple grind spots but i guess the general idea of this is clear.
    You can also delete the rank limit but this might cause overflow issues.
    I was actually bored enough to pseudo code this down using Unity. Have it for free. I will not code this down in whatever language the BDO engine is using.

https://pastebin.com/4JEcHBnF

Im also aware that this system, in order to reach higher rankings, allows people to take off their gear and grind naked to reach higher ranks faster, but since the current karma system doesnt deal with that either i will just ignore this for now.

Since this is a suggestion i hope people will correct the code i wrote down and tell me how shitty and unperformant my work is and expand this code further. Maybe Kakao will finally do their job and pass this to PA.

#1 Ned Sheynji, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. Lynaria

Easier solution, don't attack the person and keep your PVP turned off and stay focused on the mobs.

3. Findubar

[​IMG]
    deal with it

4. Ned Sheynji

thanks for bumping, guys

5. Andaro

Ambassador

Replying only to tell you I'm not interested in reading about "karmabombing"

6. MightyMidgit

MightyMidgit Ranger NA

TL;DR: Basically, if you have been grinding in a location longer than someone else, then you can kill them free of charge?

Why not go to the PvP channel an kill EVERYONE who enters your grind spot free of charge?
    Seriously, the PvP channel is the best grinding channel in the game.

I hate karma bombing as much as the next min-maxer, but the fact is that we cannot do anything about it. Go red, ask them to party, leave, or out-grind them. Those are your choices.

whunterrobin0204 and Baroncell like this.
  7. Ned Sheynji

Thanks again for bumping, guys

8. Shiverpass

Yeah, the whole idea of people with better gearscore than you preying on your weakness disgusts me. Since I don't dedicate my entire life to this game, I haven't gotten the chance to get far thanks to those karma bombing losers. The pvp system in this game is so broken.

9. Baroncell

val6. solved

whunterrobin0204 and eitheldin like this.
  10. Thalen

Wow, im guessing you never go to V6.

ITS FOR PVP, NOT GRINDING.

His problem is with grinding and people karma bombing.

Every time I see some one say "Go to v6, problem solved" I can tell that person doesn't grind in this game.

Tansie likes this.
  11. 6footgeeks

Only thing needed is the removal of desert penalty in the desert on val 6 and in happy

12. Baroncell

Nepheisa and eitheldin like this.
  13. Elinu

I don't get this. You can't clear mobs faster than newbies? If you just keep focus on mobs, most of newbie or idiots move away for better grinding spot.

There are plenty of place to grind plance now days. Where was this Karma Bomber at?

14. Ned Sheynji

Im just happy for all these bumps.

My GS is lower than 400 and i cant even get a proper elric grind off. See? We are talking about a noob grind spot with noob gear. Im not a high geared guy by any means. Just average or maybe a little above average.

Also everyone who thinks he is smart tossing out some standard texts like val6 obviously never had the joy of using a bell for exp. And everyone else who doesnt get the point like for example the first 2 responses obviously didnt bother even reading the code so... yeah.. there is that too.

#14 Ned Sheynji, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Tansie likes this.
  15. Julohr

What a borring story.
    Install singleplayer bro'
    Voila

16. Wyvinters

Wyvinters Sorceress NA

Lemme add in this fight club rule of pvpers.
    Go red. Really. You can't stop it because of how poorly the game is designed.
    I've had friends get karma bombed on alts (unbeknownst to them) and then killed as red players on their target's main.
    I do it all the time. Seems to me that PvErs are the ones too scared to go red.

If someone is outperforming you in stealing rotations, bad luck.
    - You attack them = your fault
    - They attack you = your problem
    - They keep outfarming you = your loss

Karma bombing is a myth. Sure the game of BDO incites disgustingly primitive behavior and power hungry antics,
    but the ones that stand above that are the ones that know better.

You'll probably hate how I play because....
    - If I can outfarm them, I'll stay.
    - If I can kill them, I'll stay.
    - If I get killed but I can still outfarm them, I'll stay. (Yes. I do that.)
    - If I get killed and get outfarmed, I get the f*ck out. (Why you may ask? Because its a waste of time.)

P.S. Whoever is more stubborn or determined to have the spot and can farm fast wins.
    Play a Musa, Berserker or a Wizard / Witch. Easy rotations. I've outfarmed most classes as a zerk.

Julohr likes this.
  17. Julohr

Or you can just dont care about all that stuff and play the game as you want. Or change game if its not for u lol

18. Rayin

This game taught us how to grief not setting specific penalties/rewards to discourage both sides but at the same time giving a free choice, community seems willing to be griefed and grief, therefore any suggestion from that point of view would just create pointless discussions, it's up to developers to step up in that direction and keep it strong.

When they did it at the beginning we had a clear view of what would bring you a system that allows you to flag: you either lost exp upon losing or won a spot. And if you were the defending side you had the same, you were either rewarded keeping your spot and the goods in it or punished losing it and some exp along with it, penalty placed there just to remember you that you even had a third choice aka run.

Now the system is broken for both parts, but only those who feel RL slapped in the face upon being PK'ed, can accept it as it is because they literally hate any form of violent interaction with other players. If a mob kills them isn't a shame, if a player does it is and they even read "pathologic behaviors" behind one of the tools that the game gives you to interact with other players, only to justify that bitter taste left in their mouth.
    Their advice is overgrind without thinking about the class toolkit, my advice is do anything you think it's worth to disrupt the other person and have patience doing so, eventually it'll be discouraged or you'll find someone else easier to discourage.

Let the things as they are and learn to grief, in this way when this game will be a complete grief fest and even the PvP Enthusiast will do the same, then we may see finally some balance without all those disgusting threads and people playing with semantic.

Joungf likes this.
  19. Spartakatz

You might have missed that patch. But karma bombing doesn't exist anymore, you can simply switch to Valencia 6 and fight for your spot all day without any karma loss.

Joungf likes this.
  20. Julohr

Valency 6 is empty
    Players prefer to rage and cry about karmabombing instead of challenging PVPers players.
    So stop crying guys really - that word - karma-bombing - only exist on your head.

Joungf likes this.