1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Motivation A Major Concern

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by LoanWolf, Jun 5, 2018.

1. LoanWolf

There are 3 things that seem to be the major death of mmorpgs, and that is either lack of content, extreme p2w mechanics/ cashgrab, and hacking/bots. The first one is due to having nothing to do, the other 2 are to the feeling that your efforts in games aren't worth a damn because there are much easier ways to get gains without putting in all the hard work.

I personally have 0 motivation to grind or even make money in this game because honestly, the communication about recent events have now put the entire game in question.

When things are as prevalent and in your face like this without public responses it absolutely kills all sense of competition. First there is an influx of players with ill gotten gains that will be competing against you directly and in a very gear heavy game this can absolutely destroy competition at the top. The second is the concern about the people who already have top gear or are working to progress through a majority of their pens. Anytime you see someone with major gear they will now be suspect.

In a game that is supposed to be competitive with high gear progression how do you stay motivated to put in countless hours of work into your character? How do you stay motivated when you have little faith or trust in both the publisher and the developer?

kaliver, nethkhadar, iller and 21 others like this.
  2. Caldra

3. Plunge

Plunge Cadern_180831091355734 Valkyrie 57 NA

Honestly? You don't.

I played this game religiously for around 18 months after release and their refusal to ban Blade Boques and the other exploiters struck a chord with me so I ended up quitting for a year. I missed trading, empire building and my spreadsheets so I came back but seeing that Kakao haven't changed a single bit and are allowing hackers/botters to run rampant makes me lose all motivation to play. My year long departure made me lose rankings but I still had hope I could catch up, but having seen the speed hacks and bots in action what's the point? Why spend hours getting to Port Ratt to harvest coral when a speed hacker can get from Epheria to Ratt in 5 minutes. Why try to maximise my daily earnings when hackers and botters can go AFK and earn billions in a week.

Bless Offline, GW2, FF14 or whatever new game comes out isn't going to kill BDO, Kakao are. Though in all honesty nothing will kill BDO, the numbers may drop but the core players will keep it alive and a few whales will keep the money tumbling in. A console release will draw in some new players and new content will bring old players back to the game until you have a situation like Tera where the game is a husk of its former self but still manages to draw in enough money to keep the servers on.

We can complain on the forums all day long, but we barely make up 10% of the community and Kakao won't listen to us until we represent a large percentage of the community or the whales. My best advice would be to quit and blow everything up so you don't come back to the game, I'm selling everything now and then buying gear people can't sell. Gonna be dumping my workers and everything.

The situation won't change, we're nearly 3 years into the game now and Kakao don't need to have good customer service when they've already got their core players/whales.

4. Code

This is true in so many ways. Even as a casual player you don't want to see the competitive scene of a game fall apart, which pretty much is the case atm in BDO. Dead siege scene btw.

There are core differences between casual players and hardcores, but both contribute in their own way. Casuals always bring in more numbers and revenue, but hardcore players promote the game publicly. Fights, drama and memes are entertaining to watch even as an outsider, and they keep the talk going about the game.

Every MMO needs its regular, average player, but it also needs players who want to push to the top and become figures other players look up to or simply love watching. Believe or not hardcore players have a ton of potential to attract new players.

By now Kakao is very aware of that as they offered the partnered program to most relevant BDO streamers. But that won't keep them playing, already seeing some of them playing Guild Wars 2 or not streaming as much.

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  5. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 61 EU

The thing that i managed to get ~500 gs after playing from start casually makes me feel good .

6. Nyhver

It was fun and a whole lot of other things while it lasted, BDO, it's a damn tragedy it fell short of it's potential and burned out the way it did.

Ah, it looks like it's beginning to rain.

flukeSG2, Tvvin and Blackhearted like this.
  7. Seasoul

If to judge by forum topics, looks like nothing really changed during my 1 year absence.... just more hackers arrived. Good old toxic community is still there as well as lame gear system, even crappier rng and aggressing milking by PA. If there is no motivation and fun it's better to quit like I did. This is unhealthy when you keep playing a game that you don't like and perceive like a job.
    By my old habit I still check these forums maybe every 4 months, but I have no desire to go back into the game and I have no regrets that I switched to a different mmo.

P.S. Oh and yes, "there are no better mmos right now" propaganda is a complete BS.

oxzer and Blackhearted like this.
  8. postponingdeath

Right so, BDO is 2 out of 3, I suppose the only thing it isn't lacking is content, so my guess is this game is not for you...

9. Korvgubben

Sad to hear. We had our disagreements on the forums but we had somewhat similar goals in the game.

I'm not putting enough effort or money into the game to start carring more about this "new" wave of hackers than I did about all the other crap that has plagued this game.

Hope you find a better game. Not to be a doomsday prophet but I dont think you will unfortunately. There wont be any company that is willing to hold game quality in higher regard than profit and that will sadly not allow future mmos to reach any major life span or potential compared to the golden oldies without some major change in the formula.

Who knows, maybe many years ahead the mmo genre will evolve in a new direction that allows a new golden era.

Elbi and Plunge like this.
  10. Plunge

Plunge Cadern_180831091355734 Valkyrie 57 NA

I've played Tera, Vindictus, FF14 and BDO; spent about 2-4 years one each one and honestly you're right they are all pretty much the same. Can't really blame companies for repeating what others have done though as if you can peddle a steaming pile of excrement and provide no support but still get paid, then why try to improve? Kakao are a scummy company (they're even breaking the current GDPR laws and right to removal as they're refusing to delete my account and personal information) but they're just like pretty much every other MMO company. The only difference between them all is that some are more open about being scum because they know people will pay regardless.

Korvgubben likes this.
  11. PurplePumpkin

They should at least acknowledge the issue and say they're looking into it. I don't get why they can't even do that, you know? (there's no way they don't know by now) When PA makes changes to the game people can adapt and learn to work with it. I don't even think p2w is a game killer 'cause I've seen p2w games do just fine. What players can't work with is bad servers, bad optimization, bugs, exploits and hackers. Both publishers and devs need to get on this as soon as possible.

EvL, Smileybones and Reigne Irkalla like this.
  12. damascus

Normally I head off and play another MMO, but the ones I've tried just didn't grab my attention for long. So my solution was to treat BDO as a single player game. I just keep my daily play to doing the quests, empire building, trading and basic enhancing (TRI weps/armor, DUO accessories). I have 12 alts so I am also playing the NV mini game, trying to 'collect the set' with Kzarka, Nouver and Kutum. Dande is proving more elusive.

TL;DR? Turn BDO into a single player RPG to keep motivation.

13. LightningFFXIII-4

How to get interested in BDO:
    1.) Quit your guild, join a AFK guild
    2.) AFK Fish or AFK Mass produce beer and have your workers stockpile mats.
    3.) Play a different game while you have BDO on minimize.
    4.) Wait for Wednesday Morning and hope for the best.

Fatalforce, Jonnyyy and Munchaking like this.
  14. Escapism

Just as i was about to reach enough silver to start bidding on tet ogres and the likes, the mp prices for tet/pen items gets increased. Who benefits from this mainly besides the 0.01% full whales and nolifers? hackers and bot users ofc (lets be serious here, noone "makes" tet ogres only to sell them on the mp, so people who actually succeeded one or two of them and actually sells one only get a small bonus with this change, the real reason for these changes is only to make it "harder" for people to get from the mp, and to allow fewer players to bid on)

A few weeks/months ago you could be conssistently in the top 1-5 wealth ranks with around 4-5b silver depending on the channel, sometimes i even was rank 1 with around 5.5b, now everyone in the top seems to have 20-30b+ stockpiled, 5b silver doesnt even get me into the top 10 anymore.

And now were speaking about things like PEN items going 100% to preorder, tet/pen prices being raised, yellow-grade TRI/TET items still going to preorder atleast 50-60% of the time (see other threads about this, this has changed same time with the 100% pen preorders), and of course the entire renown system, which makes all that gear a must-have. How could anyone even still seriously recommend this game to any new player if you had to tell them that they should be looking forward to atleast around 2-3 billion silver investment for EACH single equipment slot if they want to have a chance at getting competitive?

I already told my guild as well, that in every mmo i ever played, the point that completely kills it for me and when i quit is when it starts to get overrun by bots, hackers or dupers (wildstar or gw2 were 2 examples where at some point, it became nearly impossible to farm resources in the world because everytime a node respawned, some bot would just instantly teleport to it and snatch it...), i will still stick around for atleast a couple of weeks just because there are still a few things i want to complete or finish before ill most likely quit, like opening my 600+ event boxes on stream which ive stocked up for almost a year now, or selling my ~5b worth of trade crates ect.

But at this point i really dont see anything anymore that could rekindle my motivation for bdo or spark my intrest again, i have also been waiting for nearly 2 years now for new class releases, hoping there would someday be a new class that really intrests me and that isnt another "melee/bruiser/assasin"-type, I've given up hopes on that as well.

The only thing i still "want" to do, is see how much liquifiable assets i have and with how much silver i will be able to leave.

15. StonedSpoon

I recently hit "soft-cap" and this game still excites/interests me. Try something new, there's a lot to do.

Fatalforce, slapdot and Sevyrn like this.
  16. Sevyrn

The silly like 12-15+ guild "alliance" is what killed the siege scene, not hackers.

17. Jonnyyy

true actually "for me" making beer is more enjoyable of pvp/pve endless rotation

18. WastedJoker

WastedJoker Striker 61 EU

Why grind/slog it out when you can simply download some open source software and get everything afk?

19. Yuri_Lowell

whoever wrote 'siege is dead' its been dead for a very long time now with all the dicksucking going around for castles