1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk about... new donkey gear

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Jinoro, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Jinoro

Jinoro Shai 61 EU

Into the 24th June patch they added new donkey gear (at least!). But... it's useful? It's what we needed? I will try to expose my point of view (ofc, somebody can think different about it. Please, leave your comments :D).

The pros/cons of a donkey
    Before we talk about the gear, we must know which are the strong and weak points of having a donkey (compared with the star of all mounts, a horse).
    Obviously i will take the shai donkey as reference, since idk why the other donkeys exist in this game. And since other donkeys dont have any sense in this game, this new gear is, to all effects, to shai players (unless u are masochistic).

I will list all the pros and cons, with those that could be affected by gear in color.

Pros:
    - Greater weight limit (+800lt easily reachable)
    - Very high hp (u can reach +11k easily)
    - Bigger inventory space

- Enemies don't attack the donkey never (paired with the high hp, makes donkeys very survivables)
    - Cutesy/lore friendly (maybe not for all people, but for some this is a pro)

Cons:
    - Less speed (T3 - T4 speed)
    - Less turn (to the point that just stops in near all curves when u use autopath)
    - Less brake (painfully hard to stop)

- You cannot buy them (if your donkey is bad, u are stuck with him)
    - Not breedable

- You cannot fight from the donkey (since donkeys aren't combat mounts, its normal up to some point)
    - Less skills (they should add more, but thats another topic)

Which gear would be desirable
    At the end, donkeys are an ideal to bring it to farm spots, since no monsters will attack them and can carry a LOT of weight in his ample inventory. So, ideally a hypothetic new gear would need to upgrade those points even more (+weight, maybe +inventory space).
    On the other hand, donkeys have a very bad movement stats compared to horses, so a very good gear would address that part too (+speed, +turn, etc).

What we dont need is a new combat gear that just upgrades combat and movement stats, since donkeys aren't combat mounts. Right?

Which gear we got
    Reescaled combat horse gear (even with the same names and manufactured into the same places). Not just in appearance (its sad to see the same gear models into a donkey) but into stats.

The new gear increases:
    - Lots of hp (donkeys doesn't need more, thanks)
    - Lots of stamina (eh... thanks? donkeys doesn't need lots of stamina since they dont have skills)
    - Lots of DP (why? they aren't attacked)
    - Lots of speed, turn, brake... (maybe the only good part, but since riding crops still dont work with donkeys, not very exciting)

So, we got horse gear that covers horse needs, but NOT donkey needs.

Even worse, since the new gear doesn't come with +weight increases, you actually are weakening the purpose of donkeys (gathering/farming mount) using it.

"But but... the new gear comes with the new donkey roar".
    Yeah sure. +3-10% life skill exp. Just what we need it, another meagre little bonus.

How do you get it
    Just like the horse gear that they copied. They use THE SAME materials as the horse gear, but in smaller quantities. Thats a good thing, since very few persons are interested anyway into donkeys, it will be hard to get from market, and doing it easier to get will be great and maybe will attract some users to donkeys and...

Oh wait! The new gear need the same materials EXCEPT a new little one brilliant and colorful pebble. Well... surely it will be easy to obtain, or u can get it from different sources, or...

Oh wait! You can ONLY obtain those pebbles exchanging a new coin obtained from the new dailies at Papua Crimea... that little island where u need to go to the other part of the world just to do like 10 dailies.

Oh wait! You just obtain 1 of these new "coins" in each daily, and you need 100 for each little pebble. What the f**k? You need like 3 months for each donkey part, needing to sail to the island into the butt-f***ing Egypt to do all the dailies.

Conclusion
    We got a new gear that doesn't understant what donkeys needs and ofc doesn't cover those needs... well... actually... that new gear worsen your donkey needs.

And to add more salt to the injury... its nearly impossible to obtain unless you devote yourself too many time to get a bad donkey gear.

And to be clear, it's not a bad thing that the new gear increases a lot the mobility and health and stamina and.... But horses will always be better in those fields. And if i have a f**king horse, i will just pick a f**king horse. I don't need a wannabe, i need good donkey gear.

What do you think?

Pointis and VasilisD like this.
  2. Kaitreen

waste of time. waste of resources. Unless they remove over stacking horses, worthless.

Jinoro and gurghul like this.
  3. Andaro

Ambassador

Mmmmm,....I can't really weigh in on whether it's good stuff or not since I have yet to acquire and experience it for myself.....

But I can commend them on trying to give donkey some love. Back 1.5 year ago there was no intention for donkey to be anything more than it was, as horses were the limelight of mount training.

But, players expressed a great deal of sentiment regarding donkeys in their forgotten state, and after communicating that effectively via community polling and constructive dialogue, ...donkey began getting some love.

I think the ideology that donkeys should not overshadow horses, or compete with them on the same level is appropriate, regarding that they have their own little specialness instead unique to the mount.

If there is to be another mount that shares the system that horses currently do, in regards to breeding, training, racing, etc....Based on previous polling metric data collected, I believe that Fericas or Dragons would be more appropriate to BDOs theme and content cohesion.

Thugarin and Jinoro like this.
  4. Skol600ml

10% life exp for 30min isn't something minor.
    Like said, while you can freely exploit your and your horses's weight capacity, donkeys are useless. The exp bonus will be the fisrt reason to see some around.

5. Jinoro

Jinoro Shai 61 EU

Yeah, i have no idea why they dont patch that bug/exploit.

Well... the "new" gear has the same exact values as the old horse gear. So... not very donkeyish.

Im with u in that, and i can commend them on trying too. But lets be honest, they arent trying too much here. They just copypasted the horse gear.

+1, im for that too. But then, why they put horse gear into a mount with different necessities? -__- Its just lazy and doesnt help to donkey users.

Breeding for donkeys would be good, and i would like to use ferricas... but thats another topic :P

A 10% for a full krogdalo set? Its very very minor. Ludricrously minor. Its just a excuse to say "its for donkey!", when they just copypasted the horse sets.

6. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

My opinion is that is a waste of time unless all classes have access to that particular donkey.

7. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat DarkKnight 62 NA

I agree with the developer's original vision for Shai to ride donkeys, so I think there should be some cases where a donkey's abilities should match, if not overshadow, a horse. Specifically, I would like to see donkeys buffed when ridden by Shai and zerker (for giggles). I seem to recall when Shai came out, they said she had some kind of special affinity to donkeys. Buffing donkeys when ridden by Shai at least gives some tangible reasoning behind her original preference in the lore.

I definitely would like to see Ferrica mounts too. I'd have them be the preferred mounts of Archers and Rangers and get buffs when ridden by those classes.

Jinoro likes this.
  8. Graugus

I can tell you DP is on the gear as people do transport trade items still to this day using the donkey and they will be attacked by bandits. I have mentioned before that they have missed a real chance to do something different with mounts and donkeys itself but they are still trying.

9. Graugus

Ferrica mount should be high on the mount list.

Jinoro likes this.
  10. Jinoro

Jinoro Shai 61 EU

In my experience. If u are playing the game while trading, u can kill the bandits even before they touch your donkey (and even if they touch your donkey, they do like 20 dmg to a +11k hp donkey). If u are full-afk... no amount of DP will save u if u got stuck between them.

11. Issiana

Issiana Tamer 61 NA

I'm not one to complain, but I have to weigh in that this latest content is by far the worst I've seen from PA.
    It shows a complete and utter failing to even understand their own product.

To make donkey gear gated behind content that stops your progression (I was pretty sure this was a PROGRESSION game!) and then make it such a long grind for such a low effect showed just how out of touch with the product and consumer base PA is.
    I could rant for a bit, but simply put...

IT'S NOT FUN!

Jinoro and MoonDance17 like this.
  12. ghoulz666

Why would you want to be slower? The answer, is no.....

13. Aysnvaust

I main shai, and I was so excited about the donkey - then I took an arrow to my kn, I mean - then I slammed into the lvl limit. A sad day that was. Since then my poor little donkey spends his retirement in the stable and my shai uses a ladder to climb that horse...