1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifeskill mastery is not a very satisfying way to expand lifeskill content

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by yukishiro1, Sep 19, 2019.

1. yukishiro1

As the initial excitement of new gear has worn off, I'm left with the sinking realization that lifeskill mastery is a bit of a swiz. Not particularly because it isn't worthwhile - though that is undoubtedly true for some lifeskills and some items within other lifeskills. The swiz is bigger than that, and so fundamental that it's easy to overlook.

The basic problem is that lifeskill mastery doesn't actually expand lifeskilling content meaningfully - it just makes you more efficient at doing what has already been in the game for years, largely unchanged. It would be like if instead of adding Valencia grind spots, PA had just added the Valencia items but kept Sausans as the highest level grind spot available. You could get 260+AP...but all it would allow you to do is kill Sausans more and more quickly and efficiently. Over and over and over for years on end. Billions and billions of Sausans killed. That's all.

This is the fundamental problem with lifeskilll mastery. You can drop 200 billion into a set of PEN accessories...and yet you're still just crafting the same dumb boiled eggs you were years ago, or farming the same old dumb sheep blood you were years ago, or doing the same old dumb AFK auto-training rotations you were years ago, or sitting in a city processing the same old dumb mats you have been for years.

The system doesn't actually expand what you're actually doing at all - it just lets you blow billions upon billions at doing the exact same thing moderately better than you did before. There's nothing new; no new recipes (well, except the single lion steak recipe) to discover and craft, no new materials to harvest, no new systems to experience. It's just the same old crap, with more efficient numbers attached.

This is a recipe (ha, ha) for disappointment. No wonder the Koreans have been so down on the system.

Slynx, Digi_Assassin, Boink and 3 others like this.
  2. Xeniph

I personally like it. I'm not looking for "NEW" content in lifeskilling as that would simply cause folks to stop doing one thing and change to the other.

The current mastery system, imo, allows us more free time to do other things. I like this, as I never felt I could get all my lifeskilling done in the week if i wanted to do something else, or I would have to give up efficiency.

To each their own I suppose, but I like mastery so far. However I do agree some of them are lackluster and I am not excited about Trading and Farming being left out atm.

Edit- Oh and nobody has to blow even a billion so see tangible benefits as even 500-600 mastery is acceptable for quite a few.

MMoNoob and noctred like this.
  3. Taeshien

This is my thought as well, I like being able to blow through some mass cooking while I go have dinner then come back to actually play.

seanas likes this.
  4. yukishiro1

But that just shows how unambitious the system is: save time by not having to actually, well, lifeskill...

5. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

I enjoy being able to cook way more times per ustensil, saving me the hassle of producing more tools, and that's only at master 17 cooking with very little invested and only on accessories so far.

6. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 62 NA

I like this. I am not a lifeskiller myself, but can see how the Mastery system is inherently flawed - in that it really doesn't change lifeskilling dynamics much at all. One of the biggest down-sides that I see is the devalued price in gathered materials. Since so much more can be gathered, more materials get listed, which then bottoms out the market for many gathered mats. I know there are a lot of bottomed out items in the market, but this issue of the devaluation of certain items should've been looked at by PA. Many items, like blood, have so many listed at bottomed out prices. People aren't making money off of those items, just mainly Caphras and Black Gem frags and IDK if this is healthy for the game economy. Maybe it is, IDK, like I said, I'm not a lifeskiller (but am looking to get into it!)

7. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Speaking for myself....

I believe what makes the Mastery system appear to be a bit underwhelming is its core concept.
    The core concept is the higher your Mastery, the better yields you get from the Life Skill.
    I would have believed that the core mechanic of lifeskills should have already served this purpose, meaning that the lifeskill levels themselves should have ultimately done what Mastery levels are doing now. If that meant a new level bracket beyond Guru, then that would have been ok.

Gathering, Alchemy, Cooking, Training, Fishing, Processing, and Sailing would have all fallen into this context, so it feels more "redundant" than necessary considering the core aspects of lifeskills themselves.

Now the Gathering tools are great. Repairable tools, with level requirement, and boosted benefits for higher tools....thats a great addition and expands on life-skills without redundancy, because just like other leveling systems, the higher in level you go, the more benefits and better equipment you can use.

But I can understand the desire for wanting to develop a "Mastery System", and indeed I can only imagine the difficulty in trying to think "How would you "master" this lifeskill?" I can tell you what direction I would have gone, but even then I myself hit a roadblock when thinking of certain aspects.

I think what we have to keep in mind is that BDO, like other mmorpgs, is a "live game in continuous development"....meaning that for the life of the game things will continue to evolve or devolve, and thusly I see this as just a learning cycle.

Who knows? 2 years from now, they might re-look at the whole Lifeskills & Mastery system and decide to go another direction with it altogether.

So this is a good time for feedback, and lets keep it constructive.

Solitaire, MMoNoob and PeaceInChaos like this.
  8. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

You make a fair point about items value on the market. On top of it, you can add the value of many crafted goods which has also tanked since mastery update.

Cooking mastery at max level nearly doubles your production in the same time frame without even using silver clothes, but let's obsess even more about cooking speed and add even faster and more crafted products to a market that is already showing signs of early saturation.

The plus side for cooks that produce for themselves thus don't care about the market value of crafted goods is the reduced costs of raw mats such a meat and the increase of output given a said number of base mats, allowing them to cook less to produce the same amount of buffs they use for themselves.

PeaceInChaos likes this.
  9. Boink

In regards with cooking and alchemy most access to recipes opens up @ professional level. You can get to professional lvl in one day. What does it do? It makes every almost self-sufficient and well we can see that it killed most of the virtual profit.

It destroys the concept of masteries. Like you have said you can be "260 AP" and still be farming alongside with a 180 AP in Sausans competing for the spot and the sellable items.

What I suggest is the following:

• Create a one time turn-ins per week that requires raw materials that parse with lifeskill masteries. Depends on your proficiency you can make a lot of silver PER WEEK and gets rid of the excess materials that's being produce at a rapid phase (cause of masteries).
    • Introduce a recipe system per mastery level instead of the old system.
    • Imperial Delivery needs a re-work
    I only invested a processing stone and well to be honest I make more grinding than gathering. I do welcome some of the changes with lifeskills: Processing for one and fishing.

10. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

Dropping a billion still means u have to work it off and not only that, while u r working it off u coulda been making profit with the old system. It is not really good for casual lifeskillers coz they wont be competitive with their products.

It is an upgrade for selfsufficient proccesor/traders tho, even with almost no investment.

11. Xeniph

But that was my point, you don't need to drop anywhere close to that to get to thresholds that show decent results. People are blowing the investment numbers way out of proportion.

It's like saying you HAVE to have full PEN to just grind. Sure it will improve your income but you can grind most of the game quite effectively @Tri.
    So while eventually a hardcore lifeskiller will probably invest billions, there is absolutely no NEED for it atm as 500-600 is adequate for the vast majority of folks.

12. Vanadiel

I am waiting for fish breeding with prize fishes you catch, and if you are really good at fish breeding you can even get lucky and breed a pet fish.
    That of course would first require housing to be updated with ponds, and it would require new recipes to make fish tanks, fish food, filtration systems and all kind of other things you will need.
    And yes, some cash shop items related to this.

I will just pass on Manos and wait for the above.

Solitaire and Maginha like this.
  13. noctred

noctred NA

As somebody who doesn't get much enjoyment out of active lifeskilling or the amount of time I used to have to invest in order to make certain lifeskilling activities worthwhile, I welcome mastery. It allows me to be way more efficient with lifeskills, which in turn allows me to spend more time playing the game the way I actually want - that's a huge boon for me.

That said, I can understand the complaint if you're somebody who enjoys playing the game for lifeskilling above all else.

14. crosspath

Cooking market dead soon, alchemy as well, even harder items to get like lion meat and items that never piled up like logs piling up... Gathering destroyed... Soon fragments will start piling in market, give it 3-4 weeks tops...

"Oh but I spend less time gathering", yeah, but items that are worthless to sell or craft into other stuff that won't sell...

They better double the amount of imperial boxes or most lifeskills will be useless as F. Or good luck hunting the market 24/7 looking for the business opportunities, if any market by any chance is not flooded... gl.

I prepared a ton for manos, made a ton of plans, and here I am with 9k fragments and 50 manos accesories mats ready and every day it passes I delete more manos gear I want to get from my plan list... From getting 6 manos armors now I am doubting about getting only one... For some lifeskills not even blue armor is worth the cost.

Now I just need RNGesus to shoot the silver bullet and pwn all my manos accessories so i can leave this **** once and for all... Definitely won't be missing much seeing the direction everything is taking and the "content" to come...

Blitzball likes this.
  15. Catastigma

Stop belief that its all the lifeskill *content* that we will get. Imperial will be rework, Read the heidel pass Q/A

Thank for all your low price material, i gonna be rich later.

PeaceInChaos likes this.
  16. crosspath

Read the Heidel pass QA he says... pfff, didn't they say manos for Q2 and revamping mastery in that ****? And then we get the same **** four months later...

Whatever they announce about their intentions or projects, ends up being just that, projects...

If lucky another empty area like Star End in 2021... This time with 5 npcs total and 15 quests.

Some people don't learn...

17. Vanadiel

Manos is not a rework of life skills. I would rather see new life skills and expansion of the scope of them.
    Manos is yet again about enhancing gear to TET/PEN.
    Can we get something else besides TET/PEN enhancements? It is getting old and boring.

18. ghoulz666

The only legit addition is the hunting sniper rifle. The rest is just gear fluff.

19. Boink

Why are you surprise that this is another way for PA to squeeze money from Cron Artist?

Unlike grind gear however most of the mastery levels don't make any sense. Except maybe processing, fishing, gathering (need to make gathering alts).

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  20. Vanadiel

I am far from surprised. I think if you look at the whole manos thing, you have to be honest and admit it was a lot of hype for not all that much in terms of game play.

I cannot believe they had to rework this for months, and the best they could come up with is green, blue and soon yellow gear to enhance to TET/PEN.

Their vision is clearly lacking, and unless they start having a real vision soon, there's no way they can hang on for another 18 years of game lifespan.