1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loot box laws and BDO

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Concubine, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

They still don't have any proof that the result is really random, as there are absolutely no control.
    In the end, the main solution is here : if games with RNG mechanics linked (directly or not) to micro transactions are considered as a form of gambling and treated as such, it will imply controls, restrictions, and taxes.

And this may already be enough! No easy access for kids, heavy control on rates and stats, announced % even before the purchase, and taxes which are often use for prevention.
    All in all, this situation may result in a less profitable business, so less choices but I have a good hope that we could get back more quality in future games. At least, if it can stop the rising use of predatory mechanisms, I'm ok for it!

2. Shastalya

Shastalya Warell Musa 50 EU

Pretty much yeah, now we'll see about it. Because according to some, they also say climate change is a myth bwahaha.

3. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

No, but they (the company) would be fined per occurrence.
    So it would be in their best interest to not take that chance.

Also along with the rated 21-18+ it should have an emphasis on why: violence , nudity, ingame gambling P2W mechanics.

I'm pretty sure most people would stay far far away if the underlined is the only reason it got such a rating.

This is how the bill defines PTW.

(7) PAY-TO-WIN MICROTRANSACTION.— 6(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘‘pay-to-win microtransaction’’ means an add-on transaction to a interactive digital entertainment product that— (i) with respect to an interactive digital entertainment product that, from the perspective of a reasonable user of the product, is a game offering a scoring system, a set of goals to achieve, a set of rewards, or a sense of interactive progression through the product’s content including but not limited to narrative progression— (I) eases a user’s progression through content otherwise available within the game without the purchase of such transaction; (II) assists a user in accomplishing an achievement within the game that can otherwise be accom-258 LYN19247 S.L.C. plished without the purchase of such 1transaction; (III) assists a user in receiving an award associated with the game that is otherwise available in association with the game without the purchase of such transaction; or (IV) permits a user to continue to access content of the game that had previously been accessible to the user but has been made inaccessible after the expiration of a timer or a number of gameplay attempts; or (ii) with respect to an interactive digital entertainment product that, from the perspective of a reasonable user of the product, is a game featuring competition with other users, provides a user with a competitive advantage with respect to the game’s competitive aspects over users who do not make such a transaction. (B) EXCLUSIONS.— (i) DIFFICULTY MODES.—Such term shall not include an add-on transaction to an interactive digital entertainment prod-259 LYN19247 S.L.C. uct that provides the user with access to a new mode of play that makes progression through the content of the product more difficult than it would be without the transaction (as perceived by a reasonable user). (ii) COSMETIC ALTERATIONS.—Such term shall not include an add-on transaction to an interactive digital entertainment product whose only effect is to alter a user’s visual representation within the game provided that it does not, from the perspective of a reasonable user, provide the user with a competitive advantage over other users who do not make such transaction. (iii) ADDITIONAL GAME CONTENT.— Such term shall not include an add-on transaction to an interactive digital entertainment product that adds new content to the product provided that the add-on transaction can be purchased only once by a user and the perceived value offered by such transaction, from the perspective of a reasonable user, is not that it— 2510 LYN19247 S.L.C. (I) eases a user’s progression through content otherwise available within the product without the purchase of such transaction; (II) assists a user in accomplishing an achievement within the product that can otherwise be accomplished without the purchase of such transaction; (III) assists a user in receiving an award associated with the product that is otherwise available in association with the product without the purchase of such transaction; (IV) permits a user to continue to access content of the product that had previously been accessible to the user but is made inaccessible after the expiration of a timer or a number of gameplay attempts; or (V) provides a competitive advantage over other users with respect to a product’s competitive aspects. 2311 LYN19247 S.L.C.

(8) LOOT BOX.—The term ‘‘loot box’’ means an add-on transaction to an interactive digital entertainment product that— (A) in a randomized or partially randomized fashion— (i) unlocks a feature of the product; or(ii) adds to or enhances the entertainment value of the product; or (B) allows the user to make 1 or more additional add-on transactions— (i) that the user could not have made without making the first add-on transaction; and (ii) the content of which is unknown to the user until after the user has made the first add-on transaction.

#283 Kynreaa, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    2Cents, Zev and flukeSG1 like this.
  4. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 61 EU

can't wait for this topic to be locked and a gm replying with : BDO does not contain lootboxes :))
    I like how every hater just derail the true meaning of a lootbox and he blames BDO...

5. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

As of now they just assigned it a legal definition.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  6. Shastalya

Shastalya Warell Musa 50 EU

Yeah keep preaching, you're almost there son.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  7. Mimimimi

upload_2019-5-27_13-22-53.png

wait, what?

they can of course suppress that topic on their forums. it would just shift the discussion towards reddit and create a little shitstorm for them.

Zev and Ben Phoenix like this.
  8. Ben Phoenix

Locking this thread would actually support the cause of those who are against gambling in BDO.

And it's not about hating a MMO, it's about taking action when companies cross the line.

#288 Ben Phoenix, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Thelemna likes this.
  9. zhagsten

Even Kakao is not as horrible as you. They mark the lootboxes as unavailable in Belgium. They obey the law and don't even try to play around the definition like the untrustworthy person you are.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  10. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

"I can stop doing drugs when I want."
    Classic junkie.

Zev likes this.
  11. Boink

Rated R here in the U.S. is 17+ and it's a different media platform. ESRB rating needs Adults Only 18+ to escape this. ESRB rating for this game is 13+. They have to close the game, refund everyone their unspent pearls and/or services, change the platform just like Age Of Conan where they show full nudity. Release it as a brand new game. It is not that easy.

I don't know about signing up as an "adult".

Funny enough some adults here make excuses that the game is p2c. At the same time racking in $10k+ for said "convenience". If you watch streams or youtube video talking this concepts or excuses just to make the whole transaction feel better. Is like they are high on dopamine.

The last one involved everyone that don't like to "p2c" unemployed No-Lifers and Students. They are now the escape goat.

2019 - 2020 for the proposed bill. Unless it garnered support immediately and steam rolled we can see it's fruition no later than January 1 2020. That is a lot of time for gaming companies to change their highly predatory market or maybe even try to lobby of the bill's destruction. It be difficult since it has a bipartisan support. But hey money speaks volume, p2w am I right?

The assumption was it only target lootboxes. On the contrary the bill targets p2w and gambling.

flukeSG1 likes this.
  12. 언니*

Looking at older posts, I don't consider the monster box a lootbox because you're promised a random pet and you get one, not cronestones, artisans or something else as the typical lootbox would do, neither a timed item like a pet for 1 day, 7 days or permanent (another system for lootboxes) but in my opinion you're on point and this pouches can be considered a lootbox. Let's say I want the penguin and instead I get the next pouch but I don't wan't anything else, that's definitely how a lootbox works, and well they are a company, when the time comes for them to stick to the laws they'll do it in one way or another.

13. Boink

I understand you want to express your opinion regarding the matter. Can we all identify questionable opinionated items and base it on the bill that was proposed.

(8) LOOT BOX.—The term ‘‘loot box’’ means an add-on transaction to an interactive digital entertainment product that— (A) in a randomized or partially randomized fashion— (i) unlocks a feature of the product; or(ii) adds to or enhances the entertainment value of the product; or (B) allows the user to make 1 or more additional add-on transactions— (i) that the user could not have made without making the first add-on transaction; and (ii) the content of which is unknown to the user until after the user has made the first add-on transaction.

Players out here have different opinions about certain products they buy in the pearl shop and "conveniently" label it as Pay-2-convenience. Well I just bought 100 artisans, that's too convenient with my enhancement it increase memory frags that I used to times four. So convenient....

The bill also defines what is PTW. There are no other ways to interpret it.

Purr and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  14. 2Cents

Some of the legislators are keen on the industry which is demonstrated by their in depth and up to date knowledge on the subject matter. For example they include games that don't release with a Pay2win model and then try to dump it on later. In order to address as issue like this one would need to be aware of it's existence.

The general public would not be aware this even happens or what it means.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  15. Revalenia

Revalenia Lahn 62 EU

I do not see how an ESBR rating could fix this, parents have been buying games, that are considered inappropriate for children, for a very long time now. People that never had much to do with this won't be able to understand what the underlined even stands for.
    What I am expecting is the requirement for gambling licenses and very heavy verification of individuals to access virtual gambling. This means that only sites that are specifically created towards a gambling audience could offer the gambling.
    This would affect TCG games and they will have to look for other and better ways to monetize.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.