1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing hope in MMO genre

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LFF, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Dworkin Barimen

And is breeding grounds for spoiled brats.I said it before i will say it again Blizzard is the worst company and EA even can't reach those hights.Blizzard are a genre killer company.Because their inbred brats spread out into other games and start demanding why is this not like WoW ,or Diablo or what ever,forcing other developers to shift their focus to apeace the small but too loud masses,forcing them into changing their core concepts.Sry but i never liked Blizzard nor their games,because i started suffering from that long time ago,when changes were forced on the games i liked .

Aluminat likes this.
  2. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

Amazon is working on New World. Supposedly mmorpg/survival hybrid. Might be good.

LFF and nefarie like this.
  3. nefarie

I would be a WoW fangirl for life and never leave if it didn't have such a cartoonish art style. If WoW had BDO graphics and character creation, I'd be gone, I'd be hooked. That would be it for me never having a life... well, not that bad. But WoW is a very polished game, it's been around a long time. But damn, that art style and character creation kill it for me, sadly.

BDO for me is pretty much dead man walking. I know this game was never meant for PvE, but putting in some PvE content might very well help limp this game along a bit longer.

LFF likes this.
  4. WhySoSeeryus

It wasnt graphics for me but tab combat (which is kinda too oldschool for me after tera and alike games)and rng in loot. Legion fcken killed me with legendaries and other crap. Ofc I got the bis legendary as my last one and Ive never dropped convergence of fates even after 7 months of running raids on all difficulties even with reroll coins. While some people got titanforged on their first few runs.

LFF likes this.
  5. LFF

LFF

You completely missed the point. It's not about P2W complaint, it's about false promises, not getting my money's worth, being lied to, and game content being compromised because of greed. What's up with the attitude? You knew exactly why people left AA.
    If u want to keep defending this game go ahead.

6. WhySoSeeryus

Good number of people would never start bdo at all if publisher was honest from the start. This is where I feel like I was cheated and manupulated into investing time and money. And Im more mad about my time.

Fearless V and LFF like this.
  7. LFF

LFF

I've already seen the game. It got good concept but animations need more polish.

8. Dworkin Barimen

Soo in 6 months you got 61 and TET dande,but quit because .....reasons .LOL Simply lol.

9. NexusMercer

wow is not p2w? i mustve been fooled by the monthly subscription per month and continues expansions that also COST MONEY. should I say anymore?

LFF likes this.
  10. United_Strafes

Only thing even on the horizon is Lost Ark and AIR, both are Korean landfills so I think I'll just play all the games I've been wanting to. Done with Korean MMOS that's for sure.

Paying for a subscription game, buying expansions is P2W? That's the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard EVER.

Amarum, Fearless V and LFF like this.
  11. Josh28

I, as well came to bdo because p2w meter was low, and gear progression would keep me busy for a long time while rewarding all my efforts as well as other players. But introducing bigger money shortcuts is a huge disappointment that tires me after playing p2w mmos for 10 years. I spent 13k in Silkroad and became unkillable on the server until the next patch lolz, 2k$ in BnS and lots of hard work put me on par with whales...for a while. 800$ in Archage...got me absolutely nowhere!

Many have noticed how the MMO genre is deteriorating and stopped innovating in favor or making games like WoW for a quick cash(Cuz it works). Some expect VR to be the next big thing, but that will just turn the same. But is sort of like how all the plots have been used in movies already, and better special effects are the only new thing.

"WoW is p2w." My wow peeps scream in my ears that every time... Especially a dude who's been boting there since bots were invented for wow. He has multiple accounts with millions of gold and pays guilds to run him through raids to get all gear. So, it takes him 1 week-month to get everything from new expansions, or so he says. Of course, people do this for real money as well...kinda like payouts in bdo... besides what others stated already.

LFF likes this.
  12. Spartakatz

It's simple, if people keep buying stuff they will keep releasing games with shops. If people wouldn't buy it, they wouldn't develop such games obviously, the development costs aren't really cheap.

Your purchases decide, nothing else.

13. Ateena

The budget wasn't even big...which explains a lot when you look at everything.
    https://community.blackdesertonline...has-earned-300-million-worldwide.57010/page-4

Bahska likes this.
  14. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Netflix add ads, Twitch start adds for prime subs, Kakao implemented what was expected to come from April. If you, who played AA, think that everyone one who play BDO gonna "invest 10k $ for PEN's" you probably in same boat with that freeloaders kids who work 0 hours in their life. Yes there gonna be 1-10 those rich dudes who have money and can do what ever they want with their moneys, for rest of people nothing gonna change.

15. Josh28

Nothing is simple in human society or the universe. You aren't wrong, but that's only superficial. The customer doesn't always decide what gets to be sold. Marketing schemes exist to make the customer 'think' they need something to buy. The psychology of it is applied everywhere... The wedding ring tradition, the fork, the women smoking cigarettes, the buy 1 get 1 free, market aisle distribution etc... It's fascinating~ You should google it.

16. Bahska

You get nothing for being 110 since the game starts at 120 (or cap) besides not understanding your character as good as if you leveled it yourself.
    Almost everything bought with gold are mounts and pets besides maybe 1 trinket which will maybe last 1 raid tier if your unlucky getting better drops from either raids or mythic+
    Everything else in the shop are pets and mounts that are a waste of your money since there are hundreds of free pets and mounts. (most people buy them during charity events)
    Pretty much everything that gives any power you have to earn in game yourself.
    Now look at bdo where everything in its shop is basically required to play the game, cant even afk process without buying a costume and weight limit >_> see the difference yet?

#36 Bahska, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  17. LogicaI

You should be ,as all of the current metrics and even the industry itself vocally support that the MMORPG genre is dying.

Now i am not discounting that there are thousands of active mmorpgs out there and plenty of people playing them,that is not the issue.
    Turnover & retention rate in them is too large,larger than ever...The disproportion when correlating with growing the population of gamers to the metric is even more telling.

The mmorpg genre as a whole is dying. That is just a fact.

It used to be that mmorpgs were focused largely more around skill rather than gear or catering to the casual gameplay style.

But the industry has figured out over the last twenty years it is simple.

Kids and young adults grow up younger and younger with electronics in their hands,many times being used as a babysitting solution rather than good parenting.

What does this result in? Shorter attention spans.

People like to watch their favorite streamer and monkey see monkey do. Many streamers hop game to game for the flavor of the month experience to entice new viewers . Unfortunately people over idolize others.

This entices the game hop attitude,So what has the industry done as a result of these trends?

Well that is simple. Make games that are cheaper than are actually reported,it's what a film company does,they hire or create a company as a shell, mark X on taxes as paid for X metric of that games design,A fraction of that money is actually put into the development of the game and the rest is pocketed .

They then use a portion of that leftover money that they lied about to pay off or hire someone to do social media/streamer/affiliate managing.

You then use another portion of that money for an analyst to figure out the longevity of the turn and burn before having to milk customers.

The rest of that money is put into an interest bearing account or to invest into stocks/bonds or short end ri's

This is prevalent in the movie/music and gaming industry.

Lets face it,Inventions make no money,Only perfecting an invention makes you rich.
    However there are little ideas left in this space,Original ideas are few and far between. There is no reason for a company smaller than blizzard or riot to try and make the perfect mmorpg as richer companies can just take that design,rip it off and brand it as their own to steal the consumer base you have worked hard for.

You are now starting to see this being more common in the FPS genre for the 2nd time.

The only real companies that will make a mmorpg that people will find revolutionary are a very small handfull. and the current mmorpgs on the horizon through my own testing in my opinion are just as trash as every other to come along that were DOA

So to sum everything up.

They know the future of gamers have short attention spans,are filled with entitlement and don't want long term investments.

It's more profitable for them to create a game with a unique feature a trend follows and then ride it down milking them rather than to keep trying to polish and improve upon it.

It's the dirty little truth of this industry.

League of legends is an example happening right before your eyes,just in a different genre.

The userbase was one of the largest in the world,They had more viewership than the superbowl for one of their world championships,Then they made a bunch of decisions that were not appreciated or understood by it's consumerbase,Now it's numbers are dwindling for players to barely a fraction fo what it used to be,They then add a bit of content people have been asking for for years (the ability gain skins without spending real $)
    under the guise of a new mechanic that would make them more money.

See them adding what people wanted was not to give them what they actually wanted.
    It was to hide what they had to do to maintain profits with a fraction of the previous playerbase.
    (adding boxes and keys to the item shop).

League is starting to die as well.

The problem is not the industry as much as what years of consumer data has taught them.

Fearless V and Atron like this.
  18. Shichi88

Shichi88 Striker NA

"benefits" lmao. You can do the same thing without paying jack ****. Please git gud. You'll hardly ever encounter any of the top 1% players that have full PEN in your daily gaming life. Get full TET and you are good enough to "compete" with the majority of players.

19. Atron

What are you talking about?

Wow has tokens since years that are direct money to gold transfer...not to talk about gold selling since day one.

LogicaI likes this.
  20. Reave711

literally all a game needs is a good/fun/engaging combat system, no p2w, and look halfway decent to be successful if launched right now

The mmo genre is dying because of mmo developers. There’s plenty of people looking for a good mmo, unfortunately options are very limited