1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make Damage Reduction Scale Similarly to AP

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Yass, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Yass

Right now the benefit you get stacking DP gives 1% damage reduction regardless of the amount of DP you have. AP on the other hand has certain brackets that reward more AP than others, it isn’t linear like DR is.

To improve build diversity, after softcap DP is reached (so starting at 301 DP bracket) increase the percent damage reduction you receive by another percentage point or two for 3 brackets (similar to AP) and then go back to 1% each bracket.

This rewards a player stacking DR at higher gear levels using the same logic PA used when they added AP brackets. When you get to a certain point each DR level is a billion silver+, make it worth it. This will slow down PvP without altering the meta too much because you’re only introducing 6-30 DR to the player base based on how much they want to focus on their DP.

There is already support for buffing DR in the community: https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/damage-reduction-is-trash.462248/

2. dobe

~315 AP for ~380 DP endgame glasscanon ap monkey build.

3. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

So you want to buff DR only and not the entire DP, right? But then again... who are the AP builds going to damage if DR gets buffed? DR will become "too tanky" and evasion counters AP builds already.

Not saying that I am against it, I am just curious how the balance is supposed to look like.

I saw an 286 AP archer fighting a 324 DP witch (DR build) and it was painful to watch tbh. Archer did like no damage at all. Giving additional 30 DR is like putting 6x PEN narcs on top.

Is that actually another suggestion because of the DP "being bad" at low gs vs 269+ AP or did you actually test things on global lab and have a proper conclusion in general?

Luxea, Rilok and Despins like this.
  4. Yass

We’re balancing scaling, to make DR more valuable to build. Let’s say we add 2% per bracket instead of 1% for 4 brackets. If you are sitting on around 200 DR like most of the playerbase you’re getting an additional 8 Effective DR. Certainly not game breaking, but that’s enough to make some people turn heads. If you’re pushing 300 DR that’s an additional 12, again not game breaking, but you’d have to focus on DP to get there.

The point is incorporate more build diversity by affecting the scaling, and not the stat itself. Evasion scales very well on some classes because the only way to counter them is for your opponent to sacrifice AP. This additional 8-12 DR would help with that holy trinity of

Accuracy/ Evasion>Pure ap>DR>accuracy/ evasion.

I don’t think DR is currently off by much, we just need slightly better scaling.

Chaos Ronin likes this.
  5. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

I feel like your main goal is to buff DR/DP at low gs because in the end game AP (with 2x rces) is super hard to push, way harder than DP and at the current state DP (sure, some comes from evasion) makes you already insanely tanky. I am very sceptical in buffing DP in general because of my experience and I doubt your suggested change would do anything for lower geared people but for sure make the high end geared people even more tanky for free.

Here is a screenshot of a guy where I'd need 305+ AP to actually deal somewhat decent damage.
    Some classes do more than fine at 269 AP and if we talk about 650 GS it's 269//381. I highly doubt anyone would say he can't tank 269 AP enough at 381 DP. But I get it, 650 GS is quite high. Lower it by 30 to make it somewhat more realistic. It's still 269//351 or 281//339 aka 620 GS and the tankyness is actually more than fine as well (for most classes).
    In most scenarios people who are unhappy with their tankyness usually just worked way more on their AP than their DP.

Attached Files:

6. Prim nw

No idea what u are saying.. at 290ap i'm literally killing people at 320dp with 1 ability or less. (in a game where u can cc people for 7seconds straight). DP in general needs a big buff or they would need to give us 1k hp bonus or sth like that. Tankyness currently is non existant, but ofcouse u play archer so it's understandable ure not in for balance

7. Yass

I’m not sure if you’re trolling because the GS’s you keep referring to are inaccessible for 98% of the playerbase. My point is to reward players that want to seek damage reduction instead of evasion by providing greater scaling on damage reduction. Evasion is only valuable on a few classes because it naturally scales on them by 10-20% through their passives. What I’m doing about is a careful approach to DR balancing by providing light incentives to incorporate more DR in your build past 269 or whenever you want to build it, because right now the default build is to stack evasion at that point and it’s not a healthy meta since classes don’t scale equally with evasion.

8. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Yeah, maehwas single target damage is busted tho.
    Put that 290 AP on a wiz or dk and let them damage ibra, lopez, baten.... 286 AP archer already does crap damage vs 324 DP witch without any ability to bypass her protection for a CC.

Are you saying most matchups with 269//381 would require more tankyness?

Na, not trolling. I don't see why 620 should be inaccessible after 3 years of playing with all the events we get and easy re-designed mp we have.
    I am not talking about new players obviously, just because it's already hard enough to tell who is new and when etc.
    I understand you want more tankyness for low geared people. I mean we kinda had it with RS and people didn't want it because low geared people been not able to deal damage to higher geared people. They could have just remove giving DP for increased AP but they didn't.
    Let's say we talk about 309 DP here. Put the 30 DR on it, it won't change anything vs an opponent with 281+ AP. Even 269+ will barely notice it.

Btw where you got that from?:
    You got any source for that or just random guessing?

#8 Kauni, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  9. Prim nw

Why would anyone in their right mind run a 269/381 setup.. sounds absolute garbage and yes anyone with decent ap can melt right trough that. And if u having issues to combo the people u mentioned as archer at that AP, it's a git gud issue

10. Yass

I think Prim NW is right, if you’re a 286 ap archer and youre not killing a 324 DP witch I think you’re just struggling personally, and that has nothing to do with the experiences of the majority of the playerbase.

11. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Idk who would run it? Some random people who want to stack DP/DR for some reason before 700gs, no clue.. I'd rather run 281//390+ instead as well.

Come on pruim :^) It's has nothing to do with combos at that point. It's just a fact how bad archers damage is without a CC at this brackets vs a witch.
    If you know any good archer feel free to ask him how good or bad I am if you doubt me.

Na, I am talking about numbers here that are used by two good players. There is no git gud issue, that's just scalings.
    Again, I am not talking about two bit geared plebs facerolling each other, I am actually talking about two people who know how to play their class.

12. Wollbert

Wollbert Ranger 62 EU

no its just witch counters archer. the dp on other classes will have more problems to withstand the pressure.

13. Prim nw

So u basicly complaining because u can't kill 350+dp players without a cc from 200meters? get real dude go write ur bs elsewhere

14. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Nope but you can twist it like that if you feel better :-)

15. 2Cents

I'm going to have to call you out for being a liar about this. Iv'e taken a Witch with MUCH higher DP than full DR build and it will get instantly destroyed by that AP. I'll take my first hand knowledge over your words any day.

The ONLY way you can cover this up is with Protected Area, Blocking, SA etc. If you are talking knock down, CC, unprotected damage, that Witch will die nearly instantly.

The DR will not protect you from anything except very low gear score opponents where they simply can't penetrate your default DR.

peanut777 likes this.
  16. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

what if i told you the problem isnt in DP scaling, but players ability to obtain pen+caphras armors? :)

there are lucky guys that got multiple pens fairly easy, there are persistent guys that get some with 10x more effort and there are very unlucky guys that dont get pen(s) even with 20x effort. thats where the problem lies.

17. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

How can you call me a liar without providing any evidence?

And now you repeat what I said? What is the point? Look, I quote myself for you one more time:

That means if you are not taking a CC, why the hell would you take a CC by an archer as a witch? You are literally perma protected. It doesn't even matter at that point if you play with or without wpn swap bug.

So why do you call me a liar and contradict yourself in the next line?

That's the perfect example of a git gud issue :-)
    If you get CCd by an archer as a witch then you clearly didn't learn your basic rotations and/or how to use your wpn swap bug.

18. peanut777

Lie much ??

19. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Feel free to prove me wrong, which you can't because you can't.

20. peanut777

I don't need to prove you wrong ... your post is written for everyone to read the lies clearly. Try to hide it first brainiac.