1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Illezra when?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Steamm0nkey, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Steamm0nkey

I know "LORELOL" but I actually really dig the story in the game, what little we've gotten.

I love the world building, I'm curious about the ancients and Aakmen and I feel like more than anything, the Illezra story just sorta... fell off the planet. I REALLY want a continuation of that line. I was hoping for some more story from succession that would give me some more info on Illezra and I've done it on multiple classes and not been satisfied...

I dunno what I'm hoping for other than to say "Some of us want more of the meat from the worlds story!"

At lease one of us does. T_T

Ashaara, IWalkAlone, levinano and 4 others like this.
  2. LithicForm

Me too. After they changed the cinematics to focus on her, there hasn't been much to follow up on that. "Do you remember who you are?" NO, FRICCIN TELL ME ALREADY

3. Ben Phoenix

She's pretty cool, I like her D:<

Jinoro likes this.
  4. Jinoro

Jinoro Shai 61 EU

U are not alone :D

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  5. Korvgubben

Asking for good story in an mmo is a little eh but I wouldnt mind more.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  6. BDO_Nictofilia

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes we wanna know who tf we are and find out who she is and what happened and yes yes yes yes MORE ILLEZRA!!

Ben Phoenix and Jinoro like this.
  7. woots

ok then i'am not crazy as i followed the story /again for somes or my alt, and then suddently after mediah, nothing else from her and it just jumped on something totaly different...
    I mean ?

Ben Phoenix and Jinoro like this.
  8. Magnificent Innuendo

The mobile version has more info on her iirc, so the story is there somewhere, they just haven't given it to pc players yet. I also remember hearing something about reworking mediah/valencia quests like they did the 1-50 sections, so she might appear there if we don't get new story anytime soon.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  9. levinano

u should play Blade and Soul's story, that revenge tale is lit (at least, up till a certain point), and they actually know how to tell a good story with voice acting and incorporating your character into cutscenes.

The thing with revenge tales like in Blade and Soul or Soul Worker is that the story is super personal and character driven so you actually care for it. BDO's story unfolds so slowly and it's barely about you. Sure you got a semi-evil Black Spirit going around getting power but so what? What's the bigger picture? You lost your memories, why should you get them back? You have the same Black Spirit as Illerza, you're the chosen one by the Aakmans... so what? Who's the antagonist? What force of power are you trying to go against? Illerza seems more like a friend than a foe if anything since she understands your predicament with the Black Spirit while nobody else do.

Or look at Justice Online. The story is based on a WuXia fantasy novel written in 1986, already with TV adaptations with pre-established characters, yet they were able to perfectly fit you, a totally new character into the very center of the conflict, hell, even the side quests for you to run for random NPCs in the towns can be super emotional.

For BDO, The story definitely is interesting but there's no drive beyond simple and casual curiosity, without cutscenes and voice acting it's also so hard to care for anything in the game. And there aren't any good characters. We want more Illerza because she's mysterious and powerful, but we see her so less to even care. Edan and Orwen are also such one dimensional characters without internal struggles or drives beyond "it's my duty."

So basically, before getting more story I wish they could get actual writers to write a story, then find someone who can tell a story. BDO is filled to the brim with lore, but it has to be told in a compelling way that's both cinematic and gets you to care for it (make it personal). Right now it just feels like you're a historian walking around the world learning about it, not being a story that drives you emotionally while revealing the world on the side.

10. Artorias_Dusk

The story of BDO is, you are cursed with the black spirit. Now everything you do is based on luck.
    I like Illezra.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  11. Fearless V

Fearless V Ranger 61 NA

All of the popular MMOs have good story. Even GW2 had a pretty decent story. Than you have ESO storylines that was very well done. So by your comment I can tell you only play Korean MMOs.

Maybe because they are free and you don't have pay. I highly recommend you trying out the Storylines from ESO and GW2. Visuals are not as good as good, but they make up for with gameplay and fully voiced storylines.

KhaosThanathan and Ben Phoenix like this.
  12. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

There is 2 type of BDO story players:
    1- spam R on every quest and complain BDO have no lore.
    2- actually read all quests and find out BDO actually have lore.

13. Ben Phoenix

3- spam R on every quest but then go read about the lore on the internet or discord.

#13 Ben Phoenix, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  14. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Shai 62

I think we'll see the conclusion of the Illezra story with the Valencia revamp, storyline updates have been made quite a bit out of order.

15. LithicForm

Only true BDO lore fans know that Kzarka is actually a good guy

16. chendu

Would have agreed but since they ret-conned the story I'm in a meh state at the moment ... We'll never see Dora namu -_-

17. levinano

and
    4 - read everything and fall in love with BDO's lore but still claim it has a **** story + storytelling
    lol

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  18. Joungf

That is how I felt after the first month playing BDO. It was really disappointing how the lore and character development went on.
    It is not only Illerza, but also many other main character and also that black spirit each player is possesed with who need more background and details.
    I felt really unconfortable with the sudden cuts in story development.
    A professional author who is familiar with creating a proper lore should be in PAs team from the beginning. Quest and lore v.2 and v.3 or revamping is not the solution.

levinano and Ben Phoenix like this.
  19. Korvgubben

I played the early parts of the ESO story. What I remember from it is:

Vestige! Vestige! Come to my cave at once! Vestige!? VESTIGE!!?? Cave! NOW? VEESTIIGEE!!! Okay, return to my cave later once I have examined these documents..... VESTIGE!??!?!!? CAEV NOW VEEEESSTIIIGEE!!!!1111oneleven

EDIT: Dont ask me what that screencap is doing in this post. I didnt put it there and it cant be edited out.

Attached Files:

LithicForm likes this.