1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Much Needed Ranger Change Suggestion List

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by Phelsong, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Phelsong

• I realize that this is a massive wall of text, but I encourage anyone to actually read these.
      I have put a lot of effort into these ideas and why I think they are important.

With Ranger overdue PVE grinding buffs and also somewhat under-performing in PVP after not receiving real changes in nearly 20 months. I put together a list of what I hope are reasonable changes that will push it in the right direction, without increasing overall power significantly.

I see Ranger as having 3 major playstyles, With Ranger's overall role being Peeler/ Supportive Damage.
      1. Glass Cannon Awakening - Fills the additional role closest of assassin. Focus is making picks from range via Penetrating Wind Air combo or bursty sword combos.
      2. Dr/hp stacked or Hybrid Awakening - Role leans more towards skirmisher. Focus is being everywhere, either in melee or via ranged. Hit and Run, baiting and kiting. Offers supporting damage and backup.
      3. Succession Ranger - Fills the additional role of Sniper. Focus is maintaining position/kiting and throwing out big damage from max range.

Ranger at peak potential is in a respectably good spot. It overall struggles with being trained on, lacks the tools to engage on an opponent, and lacks skills available after unloading its cooldowns. Also, it lacks both HP and MP sustain in PVE. Both specs offer decent burst mobility, but are gated by long cds. This, overall makes the class feel inconsistent. My suggested changes are carefully thought over and compared to what other classes offer with goals to improve that, without being a drastic buff to what ranger is already capable of.

Base Pre-Awakening:

Overall SP costs reduced 15%

Ranger has one of the highest total sp requirements and highest functional sp requirements. Please ease the burden.

All range increased 15%

Ranger is out-ranged or at least equal ranged to most other major ranged skills (Witch and Wizard Meteor, Sorceress Dream of Doom, Most of Archer's kit). With the highest damage from bow coming just outside melee and (currently) all bow skills being unprotected. Some small added range would allow for breathing room against the barrage of Meteors, Dream of Dooms, against large AoE melee skills.

All stamina costs reduced from 150>125

Ranger is extremely stamina hungry. This would help quite a bit, hopefully without drastically effecting power.

Wind of the Spirit - Added +5% attack speed.

Consistency, especially with bow that is much harder to maintain higher Attack Speed values. Should shorten help shorten unprotected windows slightly.

Razor Wind - FG added. Down attack added. +5% attack speed for 10 seconds added. MP recovery per hit increased 6>10. Damage increased 524x4>577x4, Last Hit Knockdown no longer pve only.

A lot of small tweaks, that hopefully at up to this skill being worthwhile filler damage from range and improves to the PVE function.

Pinpoint - Stamina Cost reduced from 100>50, Damage increased 480x3>685x3

This skill functions as moderately useful flow/cancel. The underwhelming damage and high stamina cost make it unrewarding.

Penetrating Wind - CD no longer resets when used.

This skill is the main bread and butter ranged damage nuke skill. It does dramatically reduced damage in CD. The cd reset makes this skill rarely available for its intended nuke role when needed if you are actively throwing damage from range.

Extreme: Charging Wind - MP recovery per hit increased 5>10. Add +5% accuracy rate. Damage changed from 754x11+1524x3>500x11+1650x3. AoE radius increased 15%.

Equally PVP and PVE buff. For those that don't know how this skill actually works. It fires 3 arrows that make of the bulk of the damage (1524x3), especially from range, and is the useful aoe portion for pve. The smaller arrow spray (754x11, really 754x1x11) only effects 1 target with each arrow and has significantly shorter range. This is to push slightly more damage into the max range and AoE damage spread without increasing the overall damage against a single downed target.

Dash Kick - FG added (8 sec CD), +50% crit added, damage increased 654x2>854x2, Extra Hit Damage increased 654x1>1087x1.

This skill is basically only used for a couple of cancels and even then mostly for pve. Would add a potential short FG option from bow in mass pvp. But mostly pve related.

Evasive Landing Shot - Damage increased 300x1>900x1. +10% attack speed for 10 seconds added.

This skill is basically not speced by 99% of rangers. It does basically no damage and is animation locked. Realistically this is mostly a PVE change, but my hope is make it not trash to use and to add a ranged option for our 10% AS buff. While also allowing it to potentially be used for close ranged combos for pvp and pve.

Evasive Explosion Shot - CD reduced 12>10sec

Cooldown adjusted to match call from sky (movement for succession). Improved availability for awakening damage avoidance.

Riding the Wind - SA added. Stamina Cost increased from 200>300. Activate-able from Hotbar.

This skill is actually really (situationally) awesome already, its handy for creating a gap. But will often get you caught on accident (from skills not even targeted at you). Improves to its overall function, but shouldn’t drastically effect its use/power.

Hotbar option for Succession, to have a safe tool to move out of a downed state CC without blowing major I-frames.

Blasting Gust - MP recovery per good hit increased 4>8

Self-explanatory.

Charging Wind - Reworked. Single charge. Uncharged: 876x2, Full Charge: 1785x2

Making this old skill consistent with the succession version, small improves to the cancel damage and adds another option from (static) ranged with awakening. Should have minimal overall impact, as its still less damage than shotgun or PW.

Descending Current - -10% accuracy rate removed. Damaged Changed from 621x1x12>1070x5. Changed to normal split damage.

Removing the unnecessary penalty and making it more consistent with succession version. Should have minimal overall impact on power for awakened ranger.

Will of the Wind - CD reduced 8>6. Added +6% Accuracy Rate. Required MP reduced 90>75

This skill was historically a little strong, but its current nerfed state is kind of average. Because of the dramatically reduced damage in pve on CD, Reducing the CD makes it stronger when intelligently mixed in during pve. Should have almost no pvp impact.

Spirit Healing - Passive Mana regen increased 22>33. Activates even when using skills and in awakening stance. MP recovery on Bow Skill removed.

The Passive rework basically ignored how bad this passive is. Just make it actually work. Please.

Call of the Earth - Reworked. +5% all accuracy rate and 40hp per 2 for 20 seconds at Rank 10. Hotkey Added, W+E (lock-able). Castable from awakening. 15sec CD.

The longer animation with the duration on the current version of the skill (10sec) and the need to be hot-barred, make this skill incredibly clunky and annoying to use. Reducing the peak (by 4%) acc rate, while making it more consistent and adding small acc on few skills that were already lacking, should even out overall damage quite a bit without adding more max damage potential.
      Adds an option for a small amount of much needed, built in sustain for Ranger. (especially succession, that has literally 0 hp regen)

Rabams:

Squall Shot - FG Added. +50% crit added. +10% attack speed for 10 seconds added.

This skill, while being reasonably ok, is already penalized by being animation locked, shorter range, and not vertically aim-able. Added FG cements this as a skirmishing tool, Attack Speed should improve animation and improve the ability to lead into other skills.

Tearing Shot - SA Added. Cd reduced from 15>12seconds. Number of Hits increased 4>5

This skill is already pretty strong, but is also very long animation and shortens potential combos. Changes targeted at overall consistency, small damage bump.

Roaring Arrow - FG Added. Number of hits increased from 2>3. Stamina Per skill attack increased 200>250.

This skill is THE Sniper/Artillery skill, but it roots you and locks you in with each shot. Makes you too vulnerable to any random ranged skill. FG feels like the right choice to solve that. Damage is lackluster, Added damage to make it more rewarding. Increased stamina cost to limit its added safety/strength.

Fury Arrow - CD reduced 15>12 seconds.

This skill is already super strong in the right hands, but realistically is only useable 1x per pvp encounter. CD shortened to make it more available as a peeling tool.

Awakening:

Overall SP costs reduced 20%

Awakening Ranger has currently the highest total SP cost. Please help.

Rushing Wind - CD reduced 9 sec>6sec. Added +6% All Evasion Rate upon using skill for 10 sec. MP required reduced 50>25.

With Ranger being basically melee, the class seriously lacks protected movement and defensive scaling. This should help even that out, but should have minimal impact on Full AP assassin ranger other than movement potential.

Waltz of Wind - CD reduced 12sec>8sec, MP required reduced 60>50

Targeted mostly as PvE. The damage is highly reduced on CD and the CD is rather long for a filler dps skill. PvP CC is very high risk/reward, but is often burned on movement. Aimed at consistency.

Wailing Wind - CC changed to stiff

This is equally aimed at Pve and Pvp. The KB in pve can be rather annoying at some grind spots and doesn’t offer any real benefit over a simple stiff.
      Im PVP this is often used as a bait CC, high risk/reward. KB shortens potential combos. Small buff.

Flow: Tempest - Cd reduced 18sec>14sec. Add +8% accuracy rate. Damage Increased 701x13> 824x13.

This mostly targeted at PVE. Static, animation locked, unprotected skill. Would potentially increase combo damage, but should have minimal impact on pvp otherwise.

Wind Step - CD reduced 3sec>2sec

This is probably the largest buff on this whole page in regards to pvp. Currently Ranger relys on a lot of lingered SA skills and S-block. The problem with this is simply someone can walk up behind you and/or train you and there is minimal response. Reducing the CD, should dramatically help with this. Should also help with offensive movement.

Nature's Tremble - CD reduced 21sec>12sec.

While this skill does fairly high damage, the CD is insane. it is primarily used for the debuff. Cd reduction is aimed at consistency. Should have some decent pvp benefits as well, without increasing raw damage.

Also, the Succession version is 14 seconds, it is dumb that awakening has a weaker version.

Regeneration - Added Super Armor. CD Reduced 25sec>15sec

The old "No protected CC in awakening" rule is highly outdated. There are now several fully protected CCs and lots of partially protected ccs. With Successions, that creep in increasing. Ranger depends on defensively rotating lingered SA skills and lacks any real protected cc even in pre-awakening. It desperately needs this change to help combat being trained on. This skill fits the current mold for the class and adding "just" an SA still easily allows for being brute forced down.

Indirect PVE buff.

Again, why does awakening have the weaker version?

Cold Blade - Number of hits increased 2>3 on hits 1,2,3. Number of hits increased from 4>6 on hit 4. added +25% Crit Rate. Healing effected increased 41>60.

PVE Buff. This skill is mostly used for the buff combo, the healing is barely worth using (at low DP) and the damage is underwhelming.

Elven Rage - Damage increased 1259x6>1524x6. Added Hp Recovery +250 on activation. +All DP on activation increased 10>20

This is mostly aimed at PVE and as additional counter to being trained on. With some benefits for melee combos in large scale. Relatively minor.

Flow: Disillusion - Damage increased 924x6>1254x6, MP Recovery increased 20>40

PvE buff, Should have minimal pvp impact.

Flow: Rooting - Removed. Replaced with "Call of the Spirits", Call of the Earth now Grants +10% All resistance and Consumes MP equal to 15% of damage taken. (Lesser Magical Shield)

The current flow is unspecced by 99% of rangers, it is literally a negative impact skill. I thought about maybe removing the downsmash and adding protection, but with the other Cd reductions that seemed excessive.
      The Class desperately needs a way to survive in melee. Since the class is already relying heavily on lingered SA and we already have +DP buffs, I thought maybe some more damage reduction without throwing in more +10-15% evasion buffs into the game. An evasion buff wouldn’t help full ap/DR based rangers at all. Mini magical shield I felt fit the theme of the class while offering some small gains across gear types/levels.

Succession:

Flow: Call From Sky - 10 second CD added. Invincible (effect nullified on CD) added. Super Armor when used during CD. SA extended for the full duration.

This skill was originally an i-frame. It does not function correctly as a SA. It causes you to take bonus air attack damage. Now that this is the core succession mobility, it needs some love.

Succession only Change. Tacked onto Feathers of Lemoria?

Prime: Charging Wind - Accuracy Rate reduced 8%>6%. Uncharged Damage increased 976x2>1164x2, Charged Damage Reduced 1785x8>1620x8.

This skill is a little strong for max range damage, taking the edge of the snipe potential, while also increase the damage when used via cancels.

Prime: Razor Wind - Retains pre-awakening changes. Damage increased 707x4>814x4

Hopefully making this more worthwhile filler.

Prime: Penetrating Wind - Retains pre-awakening changes.

Same reasons as base skill change

Prime: Extreme Charging Wind - Retains pre-awakening changes. Damage Changed 1254x11+1524x3>985x11+1650x3.

Same reason as base skill change.

Prime: Ultimate Blasting Gust - Damage Reduced 754x5x6+1178x5>654x5x6+1024x5. Added +4% accuracy rate. Added +10 All DP for 10 seconds.

This skill does a little too much damage, it makes everything else in the kit feel weak in comparison. DP should help some in pve and minorly vs being trained.

Prime: Descending Current - Damage Reduced 1355x5>1250x5. (Also make the target recognition a little more lenient with terrain.)

This skill does a little too much damage considering the area and effective safety it can be cast from.

Prime: Regeneration - SA added.

Needed for the same reasons awakening does.

Prime: Tearing Arrow - FG while Charging added.

Very short FG, similar to archer charges. Would be nice to not get CC'd out of this by random meteors. Should still be unprotected on attack.

Prime: Evasive Explosive Shot - retains pre-awakening CD changes.

Addons:

Blasting Gust - Attack speed increased 4%>7%

Consistency change with AS addons

Will of the Wind - All Evasion increased 3%>5%. Attack speed +7%>10%

This Is basically a melee skill, should be a little stronger.

Penetrating Wind - PVE attack +20 added.

Targeted for succession. Adds more balanced options.

Pinpoint - Hp Per hit increased 10>20.

Mainly for succession, regen option.

Dash Kick - Hp Per hit +6 added.

Mainly for succession, regen option.

Razor Wind - Hp per hit +3 added. Attack speed +7%>10%

Mainly for succession, regen option. Better Peak Attack speed from ranged option.

Cold Blade - Hp per hit 6>10.

Small improve, if you're going to take a skill addon just for HP regen, it should be good.

Breezy Blade - +3% all evasion rate added. Movement speed +5% added.

Option to improve the skirmisher/melee playstyle. Small potential PVE improve.

Regeneration - All Hp per hit 20>40. Crit Rate +20%>30%

This is THE big CD buff/nuke skill. More in line with other class options.

Nature's Tremble - +10 all dp added. Hp Per hit 6>10.

Improves on how the skill is already used. Options.

Waltz of Wind - Movement Speed +7% added.

Pve speed grinding improve. Potential for pvp.

While I think this whole list is needed, or something very similar….

Here is my Short List of Priority Changes:
      1. CD reduction on Wind Step
      2. SA and CD reduction on Regeneration
      3. CD not resetting on Penetrating Wind
      4. CD reduction on Nature's Tremble
      5. Rabam Changes
      6. Stamina Cost reduction
      7. Everything else

#1 Phelsong, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    AcidZai, Minenia, Wollbert and 4 others like this.
  2. Deyrhali

Despite not agreeing with all the changes you proposed, I do really feel that ranger awakening has too long CDs on the majority of the skills, and also skills like wailing wind or elven rage wich supposelly have strong flows feel kinda underwelming, they are slow and stationary but neither are protected or have good dmg. Also after trying the succession I really like the reworked skills. Ranger pre-awakening feels pretty outaded and I think that they should transfer the succ innovations, but without the dmg similar to the changes your suggested.
    Also as and extra I always thought that some skills in preawakenig should be more consistent with it's names, for example a dash kick which actually was a dash, a protecting dagger which protects or a penetrating wind that penetrates.

3. easay9

Heres my thoughts on ranger the succession shouldve just been added to the kit and not be sepperate from the awakening

Both new passives alone wouldvd been a buff. And the new spread shot wouldve made a nice pve tool to swap to when everthing else was on cooldown

The decending current buff now way overtuned couldve just been buffed back up to do extra structure damage or maybe some type of dot rather then nuking people

Charging wind and tearring arrow buffs wouldve made a nice addition to the whole kit and seccures her role as the sniper even more.

Bottom line is PA has no clue what they are doing with any of these SUCKessions

Also curious how many rangers will.stay awakening over succession.
    Because i look around now and im the only one running swords anymore ..........

And at least for me that 50/50 playstyle is what made her unique, no other class uses their awakening and primary like this it was a perfect mix FFS

#3 easay9, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. GuiltGuy

Sorry but this class deservesno buffs but big nerfs.

A must change to succession ranger is that REDUCE THE DAMAGE WITH INCREASING RANGE.

#4 GuiltGuy, Jan 16, 2020
  5. GuiltGuy

According the theory of some succession ranger in forum, 'popular doesn’t prove better.McDonald’s sells more, but I think my local restaurants are better '@Columba

It is funny to see that almost all rangers choose succession to silently, happlily be op while claiming to the rest of the world that they are bad and awakening ranger is better. lol

6. Luminosity

Luminosity Valkyrie 62

Meanwhile 5 rangers on a castlewall hold back 50 people. Better increase their range.

7. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

@GuiltGuy What about playing ranger yourself, oh proud wearer of the 2k19 badge.

8. GuiltGuy

This is what succession rangers suggest other guild memembers are doing. Some people really reroll to succession ranger. I will patiently wait after the so-called balance and the test of succesion witch. If no action is done by PA or succession witch is just not as op as succession ranger, then I will for sure.

9. Ned Sheynji

What about you reroll succ ranger right now so you can regret it faster?

10. GuiltGuy

I will regret if succession ranger gets nerf after I reroll. lol
    But who cares?
    Looking forward to joining you.

11. Ned Sheynji

Joining me in playing awakening ranger since 2k16. Good luck with that time machine.

12. GuiltGuy

No, what I am looking for is a good kill/death class in guild war. Awakening ranger is meant for pvp while succession, if they don't nerf is op in both mass pvp and pve. This is exactly what I am looking for. I mean basicially most time spent in this game is either pve or mass pvp. Chance of 1v1 is neglibile for me.

13. Ned Sheynji

So what are you trying to accomplish here in this thread? Just farming salt?

You want to know what is meta and play what is right below it? This is why i have a hard time making sense of 2k19 people.
    I know this hard to grasp even for some older players but stick with me here. You can do it. I believe in you.
    What if...

NO NO DONT LEAVE. We can get through this.

What if you...

Deep breath. we almost made it.

What if you play wh

DONT COLLAPSE, WE ARE ALMOST HERE.

What if you play what you enjoy?

#13 Ned Sheynji, Jan 16, 2020
    IWalkAlone, Netreiam and Poll_Iana like this.
  14. GuiltGuy

From the perspective of balance, succession ranger needs nerf.

I enjoy seeing my kill/death of guild war and just that number makes me happy. I have never regretted rerolling to witch because she is fantastic in mass fight but at least at balance point while succession ranger is broken if not nerfed compared with current state of witch.

What if I play what I enjoy? I guess either they nerf succession ranger or not only I but also lots of others will reroll for the sake of guild war, rbf, pve,to this almost all-rounded class. So surely, I will play what I enjoy, a top pve, overpowered gvg class and enjoy every statistics of guild war/rbf more than I do as a witch.

So just go on pretending how weak succession ranger is and dreaming how you should be buffed given the current performance of gvg, grinding. It is always very entertaining to read the posts of ranger community. Excuse me for now and kindly continue your discussions with how succession rangers should be buffed while how other classes should be nerfed.

#14 GuiltGuy, Jan 16, 2020
  15. Ned Sheynji

Guys. We lost him. I apologize. The revelation was too much for him. :|

Fateneko and Poll_Iana like this.
  16. Gudendrunk

He's just mad that he cant pa>tp in> voltaic> tp out and get all the kills anymore

17. Spartakatz

u mean so that it's crap both at ranged and melee?

then let's also have melee classes less damage the closer they are.

18. galiron

Man it just seems that you want buffs everywhere. I don't think a ranged class should get more protection. I think more range would be okay in the other hand. About the stamina, I would only agree if they lower the cost for resources on damage skills but therefore increase those of protected skills(like the spammable iframe). I also agree on the cd reset on penetrating wind.

19. Phelsong

Awakened Ranger is pretty far behind the current curve. Succession just needs some protection added so its not literally just a sitting duck. Most of this is targeted at pve.

EES doesnt even cost stamina, even tho it is spammable partial i frame. We have no spammable protection that uses stamina, other than Call from sky.

20. Éternel

Éternel Ranger NA

Ya, I'll pass on nerfs thanks, heaven forbid ranger actually does any meaningful damage in pvp from range.