1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Players Can't Compete!!!

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Darcy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. IRustyI

hmm yeah i agree on your point. Didn't think about that.

flukeSG2 and Hakazumi like this.
  2. IRustyI

Hold on, let me get this straight..

So you want to compete against players who have been playing for 1 year even if you have just started ?

What do you think old players would feel?

That's how the game would die.

flukeSG2 and Hakazumi like this.
  3. AlexHuaTIan

And that benefit being they dont have to pvp. If pvp was something the consumer actually desired. Then they would make the choice to stay on the default and pvp channels. They wouldnt be forced to go there. If they were given the option to play on a pve channel and they chose that. Its clear that they dont desire pvp. Even though the pve channels will be crowded. On the pve channel, the detriment would be that they would be forced to share with dozens of people interrupting their rotations. On the default channels, they would have to deal with karma bombers and people pking them out of their spots. On the pvp channel, they have absolute freedom to kill or be killed with no consequence. But the pvp channel is near empty despite the benefit of zero karma bombers. The pvp channel itself serves as a hint that people didnt actually want to pvp.

#183 AlexHuaTIan, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:22 AM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 1:37 AM
  4. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Juicey_Lemon NA

5. Asterotis

That's JoeNever! I remember him from the FFXIV fan festival, one of those Bro dudes (Nice fellow though) I jumped out of line and punched at him while waiting for the event to actually open as he wore a rage-inducing "DO YOU EVEN PVP BRO?" T-shirt..

Hakazumi likes this.
  6. Lemon Crush

hahaha hes a cool guy.

I def recommend newer players watch his stream.

7. Asterotis

I also remember when he trolled the lottery, we all had tickets to win some pretty neat stuff, and when someone wasn't around to claim it though had the #, he shouted at the top of his lungs "OMG!" Ran up on the stage, and then shrugged as he was told to sit back down.

The guy's a dork (As gamers are usually portrayed to be) but he's a bright example of dedication, had a problem with drugs and alcohol, had friends to help him on his way to recovery, got clean just so that he could experience the fan festival and it was like watching someone get baptized for the first time in their life.

8. thdsm

Are on you drugs or something? Either that or you just aren't reading any other posts than yours here.

Modern FPS games are not only viable because of tier systems, they mainly exist to ease new players in and to reward good players with bragging rights at the same time. However, you must understand the difference between the progression of player's skill, which is done by training, thinking, analyzing and learning from your defeats, and the progression of your in-game character, which in this case is usually done by either running in the same circle hundreds of thousands of times, or chopping wood in a stupid looking suit while afk. Achievements in the first one are fulfilling and even worthy of admiration, while the second just means you've started the game earlier and potentially got lucky here and there. Also, it's not like MMORPG's can't have players grow by improving their own skill, it just has to not be overruled by character progression.

The above however is not even the problem I was talking about. If you read my post again, you will find that I don't have any issue with character progression as such, but rather with how it locks new players out of a significant portion of content that can't be replaced. If you play in silver in OW, you are playing the exact same game that someone in top500 is playing, the game you came to play in the first place. It's just that your skill is different. In BDO, a new player that starts today is looking at basically doing chores for half a year or likely longer before they can actually fight anyone properly.

Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS with open world PvP, where anyone can face anyone and it also has a long and grindy progression. But it's completely fine and works well because it doesn't initially force you to do something entirely different than play FPS for half a year, and while you are at a slight disadvantage when you aren't geared enough, it's nothing that can't be made up for with skill and clever play.

Have you considered that one reason why video games are so desired nowadays is exactly because they step away from the unfairness of the "RL" and offer you a chance of competing with equal starting conditions? Then again, there are less restrictions IRL, so if you don't like the guy with more resources outcompeting you, there is always the option of smashing his head open in a dark alley.

Hakazumi likes this.
  9. Dremlock

19 days is a lot. that's not like "he logged in from jan 1 to jan 19". that's like 19 x 24 hours. That's a lot of hours.

He's probably been "playing bdo" for a few months to get up to 19 days.

10. Lemon Crush

no he literally came to BDO 2.5 weeks ago. He was level 60 in 5 days.

11. Dremlock

how the hell did he accumulate that much play time in 2.5 weeks? did he never turn his game off the whole time?

12. Lemon Crush

Okay went through his Twitch officially started Dec 19th. But still. Level 60 and already 420+ gs.

13. Junyoung

Junyoung Leonetta Ranger 59 NA

This reply made me spit out my drink. LOOOL

14. Dremlock

that makes much more sense. even then it's still a lot

15. Reave711

Could afk fish at night for relics, probably a great idea for a new player not really able to invest in real life skills

16. devante

Sorry he clearly bought an account. After all according to the OP it's impossible.

17. Dremlock

i find it pretty difficult for anyone who doesn't live alone or in a deep dark basement to just leave their computer on all the time.

Explaining to ur normie family that you have to "afk fish" in a video game all night is a weird conversation.

Hakazumi likes this.
  18. devante

I don't have this issue, my wife plays BDO with me. So we're both afk fishing.

19. Dremlock

living the dream. my gf tried to play some, but she's casual and I'm way too intense. Now we play super mario oddessy. (i'm the hat)

Hakazumi likes this.
  20. devante

Dump her. Lol