1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New UI Issues & Concerns

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Andaro, Oct 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kimo

remove it, or add a function to scale the (newly added) UI to the users liking. its waaayyy waaaayyy to big. i know there is a function to scale the ui, but i want to keep the rest as it is. thx

2. Mimimimi

i cannot scroll the widget at all, and all buttons on it are broken for me. it might not affect all players, but that questlog thing on the right of my screen is completely unusable for me.

3. magret

are you showing 3 recent quests in your options? they are fixed and then eat all of the scrollable space

edit, if you see the triangle while doing a mouseover, try to drag it down very slowly, it seems to refresh the display with a low frequency while dragging and that put the mouse outside if you're too fast, at least it feels like that.

if you can't even click on the settings, check if you dont have empty quickslots at the same place, maybe just maybe that would block the click?

for the scrollbars, i spoke in general, i really don't see any ... anywhere, I always used the mouse scroll.

Edit 2 , new issue: if you resize the quest widget with the mentionned method i describe, it keeps Moving up and down after opening other Windows, but can't keep the asssigned place.

#103 magret, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. SvenDee

yip, scrollbar problem here too. Its really annoying to find that pixel that works.... totally agree on this

5. Joungf

I am glad to see positive progress in user friendlier and responsive UI design.

6. Prime Vlilijorn

agreed
    lol

Carize likes this.
  7. Nicci

^ This is a very strange way of saying something that needs to be said.

All these UI changes are clearly an attempt to fixing a problem of player feedback. I'm sure in the top reasons listed for not playing this game is the UI. Even I almost quit this game when I first started citing that very same reason, but it has nothing to do with the "look" or "style" of the UI itself. Complaints about UI come from 2 primary problems:

1) Overload of visual information for a new player
    2) Nothing is explained anywhere

Hiding portions of the UI until a player reaches level 6 is not a solution for #1. And to #2, realize that almost all of the learning I've done about how to play BDO did not come from BDO. It came from YOUTUBE. Other players have had to explain your game to new players because it is too hard to figure out how to play several aspects of the game - housing and crafting being two great examples.

To further expand on #2, there are places in the UI that just don't cover information that it should:

Example 1: I have 20 pets. I want specific buffs when I'm going to be cooking, gathering, grinding, etc. The buffs that each pet provides are only shown when the pet is active. Current solution: pull the pets out one at a time or in packs to see what buffs each pet has and keep the ones I need, or make a separate spreadsheet outside of BDO because the UI doesn't let me see the buffs an inactive pet would provide if I used it.

Example 2: Special deals has no instructions on it whatsoever. It only pops up when you're grouped with someone else (so you can't study it on your own) and assuming it hasn't changed with this last update, it's just a cog and a bag that when moused over only give a few words of description. Now that I know how to use it, it's very easy to use, but there isn't any explanation for any of its functions and players have to just screw around with it until they figure it out or ask a friend.

tl;dr version -- It's not about "how" the UI looks, it's about WHAT the UI does.

Carize likes this.
  8. gatsupl

This UI update is in a fking ALFA stage FK me XO
    I would fire morons responsible effective immediately D:<

Prime Vlilijorn likes this.
  9. Joungf

Oh, are you an professional game UI designer?

10. Nikitamare

on the new UI, in the processing window i no longer see the tick to process multiple of the same item. has anyone figured out how to do it or is that just gone now?

Attached Files:

11. Prime Vlilijorn

Yes. I am a regular contract designer, artist, animator, developer, writer, and composer (25+ years). =D
    There were minor problems, this UI sys didnt address many of those, and created several more. That is to say, aside from layout and design.

12. LexusGirl

Agreed! If i scale my UI down any further i cant read tooltips etc, and the new inventory screen etc is too large for my liking!

It looks great, easier to see etc, but the goddam size is my issue

Below is 2 screenshots overlaid side by side to show the size difference, UI size has not been changed between them (although minimap size has)

https://imgur.com/a/kFvBFF1
    [​IMG]

#112 LexusGirl, Oct 24, 2018
  13. magret

it's always been automatic for stacked items, and you've always needed several of non stackable items to see the checkbox. Still the same, checkbox being above the processing buttons now

14. Korvgubben

*Before even bothering to read further you should take note of the topic title and know that this isnt gonna be a positive thread.*

With that out of the way im gonna start by listing the different interface windows along with reasons as to why the new ones suck.

[​IMG]

Extra space added between each individual inventory slot. Extra length added at top for no reason. Details removed from buttons. Color removed from pearl/silver/loyalty among other things.

Conclusion: Demake

[​IMG]

Increase in size. Feed bar % less visible. Color removed from number categories. Detail and color removed from various buttons. Added option to feed pets directly from the pet window.

Conclusion: Not all bad

[​IMG]
    Increased size but no additional info/feature added. Stamina bar less visible. Progress bar having wierd added pixels at start and end, those at the end flickers. Color removed from buttons.

[​IMG]
    Several windows made larger and because of poor default placement they block the warehouse interface menu.

My Information window

Still having to switch tabs to get access to the full information that was availible on the old window. Title window slight remake, title order still scrambled, bug reported here by me back in may: https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/fishing-titles.204770/#post-1327228
    Journal still broken since game release.

Maid window

It has now been split in 2 separate windows, 1 for marketplace maids and 1 for storage maids. Same added inconvencience as the My information window basicly. "Storage" button being 1 pixel line below "Marketplace" button (yeah rly).

Fairy window

Added color and detail. Release text added to the button for clarity. Function button on the fairy lantern skill has been reversed (turning it off turns the light on).

Conclusion: Mostly improved

World map

Added a black border to the top reducing map size for no benefits at all.

Closing words

My own opinion is that the new UI is ugly and un-fitting for BDO. Its gray, gray and even more gray. I could perhaps see this look working for a sci-fi game but thats just speculations. They generally reduced coloring and detail across every interface and menu in the game along with several functional reductions.

[​IMG]
    Above example is the game with BW_Contrast filter on. The filter does not affect the interface so that is actually how the interface does look ingame now after the update.

We are now at a point where a simple option to revert to the old interface would be a major bugfix and improvement over the current game. Strangely similar to how many seem to regard the big PvP changes patch btw.

There are probably loads of other issues I havent noticed yet but I feel that the ones I have listed are enough dissapointment for 1 day.

Feel free to add any other issues you have with the new UI and maybe I'll add them to this post or just throw them a like and maybe this post will become indepth-er.

Carize, Zyx1, v.klishev and 4 others like this.
  15. MeldamirieI

MeldamirieI Rilma Ranger 62 NA
    Ambassador

I was going to type a lot more, but started getting too tired to think/type properly.

TLDR: The new UI is a good step in the right direction. It heavily favours large (2k+) resolutions over smaller resolutions, and it has a lot of improvements that must happen.

Okay, with that our of the way, let's go into the meat and potatos rant, aye?

Suggestions

1) Individually resizable UI components
    This will be a big QoL change for many people. By allowing us to resize various UI elements independant of everything else, we can ensure that those that happen to play on a small monitor are still able to have the most screen real estate possible while still having control over what they can and cannot see. A good example of individually resizable ui elements is in FFXIV.

2) Combat UI
    Allows us to see what is critical to combat. Buffs, debuffs, Resource Bar, EXP bar.

Storage

[​IMG]

Overall, storages and inventories are too big. You go into your inventory and storage and a good half to quarter of your screen is entirely covered with your bag and storage. Please consider condensing these elements so that we aren't assaulted with our inventory when we go to use storage.

Personally, I would try to have it so Inventory and Mount Inventory share the same window, and have storage appear alongside. Something similar to this, without me moving all my windows around to show what I mean. We do not need to see Totem/Alchemy/Produce/Palette while we are in storage. Replace these UI portions while in storage with a mount storage window. Have the storage take up one side of the screen, and the other side have your inventory/mount inventory.

For the storage window, have a search tab, where the cities will be shown. We can still look at the cities as they are now, but instead of opening a completely new storage window, it is a search function. It will allow us to find items more quickly and easily, allowing for less hastle when managing many items, and trying to search for items across multiple cities.

Another option would be to include a new tab in the Inventory window for us to view our mount storage in. Again, all this is saving precious screen real estate for those that have smaller monitors and screens.

Worker UI

[​IMG]

Overall, the new UI is a lot more readable. However, there are several major flaws in the UI itself. For one, in the drop down menu there is no way to know what your mouse is hovering over. Before there was a highlight to what we had selected. Please bring this feature back.

The bar of a worker that is working looks awkward.

[​IMG]

The progress bar is not fully filled in. This is *extremely* sloppy looking in comparisan to the rest of the UI.

Workers that are not working appear to have a lot of wasted space in their summarized profile. At a glance it is impossible to see the progress bar. Upon hovering, however, it is much easier to see all the elements of their profile. I suggest having it so that the "Hover" is the default view, or change the "Nothing in progress" bar to be a lighter colour so that we can tell at a glance that the worker has nothing in progress, and so that we can see the full length of the bar of a worker that is working. Have the worker bar be completely filled to the proper height so that it doesnt look like someone let their three year old draw a line.

In the detailed worker UI, when a worker is currently working, the bottom of the UI does not share the same space as the top. Also in the same picture, we can see that the text is not fully aligned with the skill images. Again, this is starting to feel like PA let a fresh intern set up the text and images, and forgot to make sure that the second line of descriptive text wouldn't hang below the window. Come the f* on.

At the very bottom of the UI window for the workers there is a very large amount of white space. Why is there nothing here? Why is the Fire Selected button so tall?

Mount UI - Horse

[​IMG]

Overall a good change. Only a few nitpicks for once!

1) Level and DP are awkwardly placed. Level is too close to the Tier, and DP shouldn't be right aligned with so much extra space between the DP value, and the DP label.

2) I was hoping the UI revamp would have placed all the horse equipment on the same line. I see that my hope was in vain. I really do feel bad for the people that happen to have OCD.

As I said at the beginning of the post: I was going to type more, but there's so many things that should be adjusted that I just sorta went all drained due to it.

#115 MeldamirieI, Oct 24, 2018
    CyklonDX and Prime Vlilijorn like this.
  16. ThunderCnt

You think they would of tested and looked at the new UI before putting it out

Prime Vlilijorn and Mimimimi like this.
  17. RealXared

RealXared Witch 61 EU

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/new-ui.317782/ 96 replies so far
    https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/new-ui-issues-concerns.317816/ 113 replies so far

point of creating a new thread instead of commenting in an already existing and popular one?
    not only you
    there are 2 major threads about the UI changes, yet people are creating new threads, that could be posted as a comment in those major threads instead. 'Cuz it's just forum spamming at this point, and it doesn't even matter that I agree with you 100%. You, as an obviously experienced forum user, should know that.

But again, I agree with you, 100%.

EDIT: INGORE THIS COMMENT. IT WAS JUST MOVED INTO THIS THREAD.

#117 RealXared, Oct 24, 2018
  18. Mimimimi

"awful" is pretty on point. get gud PA.

19. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Just leaving my opinion - Idea of new UI looks good (i like increased size) but realization and usability don't exist.

20. Korvgubben

1st of those threads was more a "show off the new UI" and I didnt want to dump my wall in that thread.

Other one, although good, was unfortunately made on a part of the forum where mods dump threads that they want to die off.