1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offline vs afk – most obvious and grave misdesign

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Waldenor, Apr 20, 2020.

Tags:
?

Should afk acitivity continue while offline?

1. Yes, afk progression shouldn't be bound to being online.

112 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. No, the current system is good.

53 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. Waldenor

In my opinion having only active lifeskills would be the best game design. Minigame gated but a lot faster, like fishing. Proper designing that is quite a bit work though and more important: removing passive progress at the current stage would cost many players. I am also not confident that they'd be able to handle bots.

Jinoro, Ganymede Sicard and Traxxle like this.
  2. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

ANY minor advancement you think you gained over others doing that, shows how out of touch you are.
    First of all anything the game lets you do afk, is designed around you pretty much being a bot and doing it 24/7 forever anyway. You will never ever be able to gain any sort of exponential advantage from those sort of activities over others who dont do it everyday, or just flat out never even do it.

In other words, you literally wasted your time as there are other paid methods that everyone uses on a daily bases to make that "achievement" so negligible, it may as well not even be considered something you did or didnt do anyway.

The people doing it do it either for fun, or they want to progress. The skill factor comes in what you have processing while logged out, and NOT active, in fact adding more spice to lifeskills. Currently This is PA's Time gate toward progression, and its a dumb time gate in my opinion as well. Think about it..plants dont grow while your not logged in? What? That's the opposite of what should happen.

#82 Kynreaa, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Phoenixxx75 and Fearless V like this.
  3. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

This is true and even people with below average intelligence can and do know that all those horses and wagons belong to the fishers and processors who are all afk. Anyone that thinks afk players mean they are active are extremely sub par intelligent.

Gwynhara and Fearless V like this.
  4. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

What is shown is that far too many people are far to invested in this game and that they lack true perspective on what is important in life. I doubt MOST people that play this game 24/7 ever put the same effort into real life activities,

Fearless V and Ganymede Sicard like this.
  5. Kitaklysm

If you're trying to say comparisons serve no purpose, then you're clearly unaware that removes 99% of the basis for intelligent thought. You've also taken my response out of context. One forum member posted a dismissive comment about offline progression as a gameplay mechanic. I pointed out a real example of a very successful implementation of offline progression. This is not a matter of comparing apples to oranges, this is more akin to comparing the fructose content of apples to the fructose content of oranges.

Ganymede Sicard likes this.
  6. 2monthslatenonamesleft

In before people realize that having things work while you are offline mean people (both the 'legit' player and the gold sellers) will just set up dozens, if not hundreds, of accounts, let them "run" for no effort and funnel the money to mains or just flat out swamp the market with potentially infinite resources making pretty much everything in the game worthless.

At least the way it is now, the amount of stuff coming in to the game is equal to one account's worth per computer.

Boink and B00tsy like this.
  7. Khondo

People perspectives on what they classify as important is totally individual to them. What's important to you will not be the same as the person sitting next to you.

As long as those people are enjoying what they are doing, that's all that should matter to them and what anyone thinks about that person does not really matter. Humanity has some really strange definitions on what "normal" is.

8. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

This is very true but a game should never be that important that it overrules commonsense.

Ganymede Sicard and f8Xtractor like this.
  9. The_Grimace

Thank you, the whole turn your PC off to save the environment is such a snowflakey thing to say. But folks have been programmed to say such things now days.

10. Boink

^ this.

Also Xigncode3 isn't exactly an offline tracking tool. Yes I know Xigncode sucks but it's better than nothing. At least Xigncode shuts your game down if it detects some abnormalities. I fear without it and with the recent lack of action with the devs regarding any exploits, let's just say we will all have billions of silver in "loans".

11. Luminosity

Luminosity Valkyrie 62

Yeah just keep everything running. Leave your car engine running overnight too in idle at 800rpm. Since nothing you do impacts anything. That is the messsage here I think. Keep buying products that are directly connected to the rainforest being cut down.
    Since we just learned even if people stopped buying prodcuts that can be directly connected to the rain forest being chopped down, they would chop down it anyway and sit on their huge pile of logs and farming products with noone buying it. So the lesson is, do not pay attention to anything you do. All your actions have no influence over the actual global outcome. You are not responsible for anything you do.
    That is why you can not see any changes globally purely because of the slight change of peoples behaviour during corona(since nothing you do matters). Oh wait you can. Just some weeks in and you could already observe it. Weird.

12. Waldenor

First reasonable concern I read in this thread.
    While the supply is much higher than the demand for most afk obtainable items, there are a some items like trace of earth where excessive multiaccounting could change price and availabilty.
    I consider this a minor problem as high value recipes are limited by not afk obtainable items, while many lower value ones are also now not limited by ressource availabilty.
    There are of course also several systems possible to prevent multiaccouting but I wouldn't exspect that much from them.

13. Arcticcz

True, if ppl make dummy accounts just for offline mining it could hurt economy, but ... does it hurt economy more than chicks and dudes using exploit over exploit to make trillions of silver? .... nope.

Personally I would welcome offline. I mean, now we have "run in tray" function but I ain't keen on letting my PC run 24/7 either.

@ppl who think letting your PC run is OK, PC ... your PC ... is not a server get some knowledge 1st >.>
    Letting PC run 24/7 hurts it, especially GPU and MB, they were not designed for longtime operation but power spikes, they run games.

PS: That coment about solar array on someone's roof made my laugh so hard. Yeah, you are pure form of ecology, yet, solar tech. is most devastating of them all, since, materials it is made from never decay and their lifespan is usually 5-8 years. Thx for killing our planet kiddo.

#LetsGoNuclear

Ganymede Sicard and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  14. Freakedoutbum

Freakedoutbum Tuuseriall NA

I love having a MMO game I can progress in while afk. I enjoy when I get a spare few mins, checking my guild chat, saying hi to friends, restarting processes or checking my mount, etc... But as someone stated 'know your priorities' and they are absolutely correct, my priorities is everything going on in my busy life. SO Thank you BDO for letting me afk and still progress in an MMO.

Now an argument that leaving your computer on 24/7 is environmentally unfriendly, this isn't a bad argument. Plenty of truth in this statement. But for most people chiming in on this argument I feel its more of 'daddy' won't let me keep my computer on 24/7, so life is unfair.

But if you are truly concerned about the environment, please go do something about it. There is millions of games that take almost NO electricity to play, why are you chiming in on one of the BIGGEST electricity guzzling online games on the market? This game is the opposite of environmentally friendly, this game wants you to PUSH your GPUs, have massive power supplies. This is like going into a monster truck rally and asking people to use electrical cars, or bacon taste testing event and passing out kosher, or vegan propaganda. There is very solid arguments for all of those as well. If those are your arguments, choose the correct venue please.

Now if I could chat with my guild from a tablet or phone app, see what my guild has been chatting about, restart my processes, or check on them, etc... I would love to do that from my tablet and a tablet mode for my character would be awesome. Maybe I would turn off my computer, but I use it for a lot of other 24-7 processes which are not BDO also. I would love to do my casual afk style BDO time remotely however. But lets get your arguments properly aligned, people pointing out that much of this thread is strawman arguments, are not wrong.

Until then I am going to assume that BDO wants me to be online afk, probably using my CPU and GPU to run some sort of process for an algorithm or bitcoin mining with my comp for their benefit. And if that is what they need for what I think is one awesome game, ok go for it! I will happily leave this sucker on for you guys.

And if you think this game sucks... why the crap are you posting on the forums? MOVE ON ALREADY, GET A LIFE!

15. Zaoo

Wow you do so much work for staying AFK and get millions. Afk fishing and processing takes so much effort. Good job on your hard work dude.

Might aswell be offline.

Ganymede Sicard and Arcticcz like this.
  16. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

I'd like to see at least one player that didnt start the game basically yesterday who hates on the afk progression system.

17. Arkadia

Of course it's all about my opinion. In fact, it's all about OUR opinion. We're all here to express freely what we think about the matter, and for your information, this is a poll, so there's no wrong answer to it.
    So that being said, i respect the people who thinks that completely offline progress it's a good thing, but I'll never be entitled enough to tell someone that their opinion is not valid.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  18. LightningFFXIII-4

AFK progression that's available to everyone, is pretty much as useful as a game with NO afk progression.

It's a clever Design by BDO to keep you logged in and possibly buy something in the Pearlshop and pump up their online statistics.

Gwynhara likes this.
  19. woots

You mean PA or kakao would be unable to set a limited account amount per user control to prevent such thing, which should be a reason to keep the absurd be connected current system ?
    Do i really need to say how that "logic" is flawed ?

Also, if you really were worry about the market, you should worry more about the cash shop exploit that is currently allowing the
    That not speaking about how they doesnt punish game exploit ?

20. Waldenor

This thread is not about the removal of afk progression. Afk progression can stay the way it is, they should just add ways to access this progression if you don't afk as well.
    There aren't many veteran players who dislike afk progression as it is a very big aspect in BDO and causes people to quit rather than put up with it.
    Edit: Also found review from people with over 1000 hours on steam that criticize the afk progression.

#100 Waldenor, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Phoenixxx75 likes this.