1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[[Option]] to remove guild symbols from banners.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Scarlet_Heart, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Scarlet_Heart

For some time now, many people have been asking for an [option] to [[optionally]] hide guild symbols from city banners for those who [[opt]] to use it. I want to add my petition for such an improvement.

Some of the images people upload to use as their guild banners don't really fit the aesthetic style of the game, affecting it in a negative way for some people, and potentially ruining the whole game experience for the more immersion focused players.

For instance, today I was walking my horse through the streets of Calpheon city, enjoying the carefully designed Italian renaissance atmosphere that the developers achieved with hard work on the visual, sound and animation departments, only to have the whole thing abruptly ruined when I came across a giant banner displaying a rather distasteful user-submitted picture of some person's angry face.

2020-02-18_67051412.JPG

For me, although weird, it was kind of funny the first time, but after seeing this type of anti-climatic images over each banner in every city all the time, it has actually started to become rather annoying.

#1 Scarlet_Heart, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. Keldorn

Keldorn Tamer EU

+1
    Pearl Abyss is so proud of there world build skill but on the other hand they allow this :/

Factorial likes this.
  3. Arkadia

+1 to that too. I'm tired of that kind of images inside the game.

4. Capitaine Courage

Good proposition indeed.
    But remeber that It's also the game that tells you that the oldest and wisest spirit of its world is a transgenic blue otter that identify as a Disney princess, even wearing the stuipid wig and dress, spinning on herself like she was Cinderella at her prom night berfore midnight, and that the old matriarch of a warrior nation hardened by centuries of harsh living conditions in the mountains and battles with freaking dragons actually looks like a 5 years old fresh out of the kindergarden
    So ... Yeah, immersion has already been thrown out through the window long ago ..

Factorial likes this.
  5. Scarlet_Heart

True, some of the lore is plain dumb, although I've yet to read something THAT ridiculous in-game, but whether or not should immersive play elements be disregarded in each aspect of the game is definitely not the point of this thread.

Guild Icons in banners are a much more In-Your-Face type of element and it would be nice for a player be able to choose if they want user submitted content displayed or not in this ubiquitous feature.

#5 Scarlet_Heart, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. Lord_Xenon

I support it as additional option!

7. TeRRoRibleOne

Denied, you will accept the winner of the regions guild banner.

Pook600 likes this.
  8. Infidel TB

...I remember that image from 2017.......and yes, it only get worse with time. It's also pretty tragic that Guilds keep these images after years thinking the joke is still funny.

Scarlet_Heart likes this.
  9. Whitrix

Ambassador

The Chief of Duvencrune is a middle aged Shai with years of mercenary work behind her. The current people of Drieghan, including Durgeff, have never even seen a dragon until Garmoth reappeared, and the first thing they did is ask everyone for help because they definitely could do nothing about it. Those "centuries of harsh living" were only 40 years most of the people alive didn't experience, and the battles with dragons happened over 100 years ago (and the ones that successfully dealt with the dragons were the Sherekhan, not the native people of Drieghan (though they helped)).

10. Cal Reveraster

I am personally in favor of the system that FFXIV uses which allows you to create a unique symbol based on a series of selections that the game provides you. It breaks the symbol up into multiple "pieces" of the image and each can be selected and colored. It creates unique icons while maintaining consistency. Plus it removes the burden of needing to police the images from the developers anyway, which are resources that could be used to police more meaningful things... like chat.

As for immersion, no game is perfect. However BDO does a surprisingly good job that has only gotten better as the localization has improved. Yeah, there are some goofy things and lore-holes, but overall the world does a pretty solid job of being well established. There just needs to be somewhere that a player can go in-game (kama library maybe...?) to interact with the lore more directly... but that's another conversation entirely.

My point is that just because there are immersion hiccups in other areas, doesn't mean this one shouldn't be fixed. Gotta start somewhere.

11. Scarlet_Heart

Well, an elaborate symbol creation system like the one you mentioned would be a great improvement, but also would take a lot of work to implement, whereas the simple function to hide user submitted pictures and display each city's default banner would only take like 30 minutes of programming work, if it isn't programmed already, and just out of use.

12. deadbeforedishonored

Its already in the game, I see the normal city banners without guild icons over them every now and then. All we need is the on/off switch in the settings panel.

GM's GRANT US THIS SMALL MERCY!

Just forward this suggestion to the devs asap.

13. DafuqYouLookinAt

I happen to enjoy the guild icons and I find it really honorable especially if your guild won region it is displayed throughout the area to see.
    The icons are only in specific parts of town/region so I don't see how it affects "immersion" that much if that is all what the concern is about.

I don't believe that guild emblems are suppose to fit the game's "aesthetic" because we aren't NPC's, we're real people playing.
    Emblems are an aesthetic that fit's the guild, their interests, values, etc.

As a virtual photographer though, I can understand the want to toggle it.
    I've had some areas I've wanted to take an ss but there's an emblem in the way so I must angle it differently or move somewhere else.

Also, I have yet to see an offensive/negative guild emblem anywhere but if there is one it should definitely be addressed to the team that way it can be removed from the game as it would go against terms&conditions.

It's really fun too that many guilds will participate in holidays/festivities by decorating their emblems to fit the event/holiday - like Christmas Pepe!
    Some of them are pretty fun tbh like the one you mentioned in the picture. That's a rather popular guild actually.

I like that people can see my guild's emblems should I win region and I like seeing other people's.
    I don't want to necessarily say I am against giving the option of toggle or in support of it but the emblems don't bother me at all.

14. Scarlet_Heart

Yes, that is precisely why this was presented as a request for an option to enable/disable them, because we are dealing with a feature that is liked by some, and disliked by others. A toggle button would just serve both sides of the argument, like all the other "preference" type of options available in the settings panel.

RealistPhysics likes this.
  15. RealistPhysics

[Deleted]

#15 RealistPhysics, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020 at 11:49 PM
  16. deadbeforedishonored

Only in specific parts of town you say... Have you ever been to any of the major cities? there is a banner in every single gateway, hanging from random buildings, npc soldiers carrying it, it is everywhere you look at.

And I'm not sure how some random guy's taking a crap face can be an aesthetic that fits anyone's "interests and values"

17. DafuqYouLookinAt

I've been playing for many years...of course I have been in all major cities and those banners ARE in specific parts of the city/regions/towns and I said that.
    You're looking too deep into what I said even though I legit said what you're now trying to tell me LOL.

Anyways, I'm not opposed to the suggestion all I said is l like how it currently is.
    I even expressed something relateable, dafuq u want? The emblems don't bother me and I have not seen any offensive ones.

To respond to your statement at the end, guild emblems are literally for the guild. It's not to match the game's immersion or story line unless they choose to do so. That's what I said in previous post. It represents them as a guild. So what if it's a meme, a spartan, a spider, whatever. You look too deep.

#17 DafuqYouLookinAt, Mar 30, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 7:20 PM