1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OS System Requirement Update Announcement

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Yukimura, Jan 15, 2020.

1. CM Yukimura

Community Manager

Greetings adventurers,

Microsoft has ended Windows 7 support on January 14th; with this, our Minimum and Recommended System Requirements have been similarly updated to match the best Operating System currently supported.

As of January 15th, the Operating System Requirements have been updated:

upload_2020-1-15_13-37-50.png

While you will still be able to access Black Desert Online on Windows 7, we will be unable to offer support for outdated systems.

If you are still using Windows 7, we strongly recommend that you upgrade to Windows 10 in order to keep receiving crucial security and software updates from Microsoft.

Thank you,

BDO Team

Andaro, Xenosuke, Lillesofie and 2 others like this.
  2. Jannanomana

Jannanomana DarkKnight EU

hope the client works better and more stable then :)

Windows 10 for life!

3. Nyavenger

Nice try, NSA.

Ludakriss and T800 like this.
  4. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

I gladly jump over to Win10 just so microsoft can **** on my PC everyday, killing drivers left and right, slowing my PC after every single update and essentially killing my rig just 2 months after i build it.

Oh and did i mention forcing you to update whenever even when you have something important to work on?

I guess PA has to do this, if they desire or not. Lets just hope they dont introduce bugs that only occur in older OS systems.

Ludakriss and T800 like this.
  5. Mirtastic

Calm down there; You exclaimed the above like there's some sort of client update for us that will improve performance but this is just because Windows 7 support is officially ending. Nothing has changed, no actual engine update, no performance/optimization update, or even the new client we've still to receive (global build)

All they've done is simply change a few words.

6. Vattghern

If you don't even know how to edit registry/group policies/services to disable all of that on your PC, you shouldn't talk about intrusiveness of the system. Killing drivers? Lul. Win10 is an upgrade, and even if some services are overly protective, completely clueless people need them. If you don't, you should at least know how to disable them. Or did you not bother to get proper Win10 Pro edition that gives you more power and just pirated normal version? :O

7. Factorial

How about we work on FPS=damage?

Gudendrunk and T800 like this.
  8. Ned Sheynji

You do realize that Windows 10 is actually resetting all of that stuff and a lot more on a regular basis, right? For this game most famously: Fking arround with graphics card driver to limit your FPS like every second day.
    Win 10 is an upgrade. Ah you are amusing. :D

Oh yeah did i mention already that if you have a multiple monitor set up with different refresh rates Win10 will limit your frames on what your weakest monitor has, which effectively kills the FPS for windowed borderless mode? All of that just because you cant disable aero on win10. Hurray! What a fking revolutional system. The only way for it to be better than its predecessors is by being worse than its predecessors and effectively forcing everyone to use it anyways. 10/10 marketting :)

#8 Ned Sheynji, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Ludakriss likes this.
  9. Vattghern

I have three 144 Hz monitors and 60'', 75 Hz TV setup on my PC, and I've never seen Windows 10 limiting my frames. xD In every game I played on this PC, my frames were sky-high. The funny part is that it DOES happen on Windows 10, but it's drivers' fault, so you'd better google this issue instead of talking out of your ass. If NVidia or AMD screw up because of some change in Windows 10, it doesn't mean that Windows 10 is at fault. Use your brain. Aero on Win10... god. I haven't seen this since like 2 hours after I built this PC.

OS doesn't reset these settings if you know how to disable them with group policy/registry and not just "Turn Off Protection" in Computer Settings. Both my work station and home PC use Windows 10, neither updates on its own or has any kind of Windows-based protection. It also runs absolute minimum of services, the rest is disabled at a level even OS itself won't change.

But I guessed, right? You have pirated Win10 instead of Professional.

#9 Vattghern, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  10. Ned Sheynji

Just so to get things straight. Im sitting on Win 7 and if i could i would use Win XP. So YOU finally stop talking out of your ass.
    Alright, next step. So you are telling me you always sky high frames but never specified in which mode. Wow. But lets ignore the latter for now. Then what about people like MorrolanTV who keep on complaining constantly how they cant run the game unless they go fullscreen? And thats just a streamer. Imagine the amount of people who have this issue and dont stream. I have googled this exact issue and worked on it for 2 weeks straight before FINALLY SOMEONE IN THE BDO FORUM told me to disable windows Aero. Works like a charm since 2 years now.

Also im forced to use Win10 at work. Tell me how to turn off updates then, smarty pants, ofc without them turning themselves back on.

Also since one of my coworkers asked: Then tell me how to boot Win10 into any type of safe mode without the need of having a bootable device with your OS on it?

11. Foggen

Foggen Musa 64 NA

This is a pretty ****ed up thing to spring on people with zero warning. I'm not affected, but surely you could have given people a couple of months to get updated. If I were still using Win7 to play the game and I went to log in today I would be pretty mad.

12. Serendipity

Serendipity Syllabus Sorceress 62 EU

Seriously, if you didn't see this coming you were living under a rock. Microsoft has announced this for years already. And don't think this will be the only application that will stop supporting windows 7 now. I don't think any software developer will support windows 7 from now on unless they are forced to. Using windows 7 now is becoming a security issue since nothing will be fixed anymore. So unless you never connect to the internet it is borderline stupid to continue using windows 7. So either upgrade to Windows 10, get yourself a Mac or switch to linux.

Furlozza, Oakley and Chaos Ronin like this.
  13. Dannyswe1235

Dannyswe1235 Kunoichi 62 EU

think the reason why bdo stopped supporting windows 7 is because microsoft just ended extended support for windows 7 yesterday

14. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Fateneko and Ludakriss like this.
  15. Mewts

Mewts Lahn 61 EU

So I assume windows 8 was never supported or did that one drop as well?

Fateneko and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  16. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Micorosft will end support for Win8 in 2023, after which point all there will be is Windows 10 (as we know so far). Might as well skip the middle and go straight to the finale since you're going there anyhow.

Mewts likes this.
  17. Kurano

Kurano Kurano Berserker 63 NA

Should've posted the full min spec requirements for this game so we all could've had a real good laugh.

Actually I'll do it.

• MINIMUM:
      • Processor: Intel Core i3-530 2.9 GHz
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM
      • Graphics: GTS 250, GeForce 9800 GTX, Radeon HD 3870 X2
      • Network: Broadband Internet connection
      • Storage: 27 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: Screen Resolution: 1280x720

Only need this and youre siege ready boys. So many frames you'll go blind! Their recommended is as equally laughable.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  18. Mewts

Mewts Lahn 61 EU

True, but still that's 3 years ahead of now, and some folks still use win8 (I personally don't, but i know some people who do). So it seems odd to just skip over that one, at least in my opinion.

Ludakriss likes this.
  19. Serendipity

Serendipity Syllabus Sorceress 62 EU

That's because a lot of people skipped Win8 as well. I don't think any large company ever rolled out Win8, they just stayed on 7 and then moved to 10. Win8 was sort of like Windows Vista so why bother.

Also: This is about not supporting Win7 or 8 anymore, it doesn't mean it would not work. It just means if it doesn't anymore they don't care which I completely understand, we are doing the same at the company I work for.

Mewts likes this.
  20. Mewts

Mewts Lahn 61 EU

My point was, if they supported users with win7 or higher (including win8), why not just drop the win7 support? I also know the majority of the users usually switch to win10 but there are also hard core win8 users who might not get support, that was what I was trying to say :3