1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PA: Vision vs. Reality

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by OptimusPrime, Sep 30, 2018.

1. OptimusPrime

A brief outline of what their vision was, and what was the actual consequence after the major changes.
    Entirely factual, not a troll post.

Excerpts from their vision and the reality noted below.

Vision:
    If you have to define Black Desert Online into four keywords, it would have to be MMORPG, combat, life content, and open world gameplay.

Reality:
    If you have to define Black Desert Online into four keywords, it would have to be AP, P2W, Ninjas, and Strikers.

Vision:
    The first action to deal with repetitive problems was the introduction of the Renown Score.

Reality:
    The first action to deal with repetitive problems was to compound and amplify the problem with the introduction of the Renown Score.

Vision:
    Balance between classes; the fundamental problems will be fixed.

The PvP pattern of repeating “a single combo” that so many of our players have adhered to, increasing difficulties in performing skills, the balance among classes. We really wanted to fix these known problems that many adventurers have raised.

Reality:
    Unbalance between classes; the fundamental problems will be made much worse.

The PvP pattern of repeating “a single combo” that so many of our players have adhered to, increasing difficulties in performing skills, the balance among classes. We really wanted to change this to a "single hit kill" kinda deal so we added Renown.

Vision:
    Renown Score was a change to take part in this. We also wanted to reduce the instances where adventurers would get killed instantly

Reality:
    Renown Score was a change to take part in this. We made sure that every instance where adventurers might get killed instantly before, WILL DEFINITELY GET KILLED INSTANTLY in every instance after the addition of Renown.

Vision:
    From now on, the development team will perform much more thorough internal testing

Reality:
    Just like before, the development team will spend their time playing Overwatch and not give a **** about testing.
    [​IMG]

#1 OptimusPrime, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. Schinrah

Pretty much. Either they are straight up lying to their customers, or they truly are so ignorant that they cannot comprehend the consequences for their patches. Frankly I'm not sure what's worse.

Especially the whole renown score debacle, where as you said, they claimed it would make pvp more diverse and make fights last longer. Then you take one short glance at how AP scales especially the first couple breakpoints past softcap where your bonus AP basically doubles in the course of 12 sheet AP, and be like WTF?!

levinano, Fearless V and OptimusPrime like this.
  3. Two-Tu

Two-Tu Musa 62 EU

Vision:
    Black Desert Online shall be the next generation MMORPG with immersive gameplay mechanics.
    Reality:
    AFK Fishing

Vision:
    Renown Score shall represent the player's gear progression so players would be motivated to keep on grinding their way up.
    Reality:
    Still has like just 4 armor sets for each class, making it 4 different (shitty) looks you can get in the entire game for your character. The cool looking armor that is supposed to be obtainable by actually playing the game to represent your well earned progression like any other normal MMO would do? Go take a look at the Pearl Store!

Vision:
    Competitive gameplay!
    Reality:
    No pay, no gain

Flood and OptimusPrime like this.
  4. thdsm

You forgot the one where they said that a part of the reason for the cc system changes was to lower the significance of grabs, but ended up with grab engage being the best option by far for several classes.

Ateena and Fearless V like this.
  5. GamePois0n

GamePois0n PootyPoot Ranger 61 NA

you thought you meant the guild vision(snake) vs reality :D:D:D

6. Netreiam

I'd say its Graphics, Grind, Frustration, P2w(I'm sorry, pay for "convience" that leads to months shaved off required playtime to achieve the same thing)

Wrong, they said they wanted to stop Geared adventurers who went pure AP from getting 1 comboed (or even possible to kill) by weaker GS players.

here's a quote from invenglobal (https://www.invenglobal.com/article...-changes-union-and-character-balance-revealed) when PA explained introduced renown:

Aka: AP monkeys were crying that because they poured everything into AP instead of using DP for the purpose it was made for staying alive, they could be blown up by people with much lower GS if they were playing badly because they had no DP.

Their solution? Give people with high AP NOT ONLY extra DP to make them tankier, BUT EVEN MORE AP TO COUNTER THE DP.

This way, if you had low AP you had no possible way to fight a high gearscore player and that way the fragile egos of gearcarried scrubs can be preserved.

7. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

PA Vision vs Reality:
    VIsion:
    Raging kids asking to make them WOW2
    Reality:
    New Korean become billionaire

Dalenos and OptimusPrime like this.
  8. Noixi

/cry...
    This post is very well done.
    I wish I had made it.

1000/1000 to the OP.

OptimusPrime likes this.
  9. Graviera

I don't know about the vision, but this is the reality
    KIm.jpg
    as of 6/6/18
    $1.1 Billion
    source

Dalenos and OptimusPrime like this.
  10. farsay

farsay Mystic 62 NA

actually they did listen to the player base, they nerfed super armor, and buffed ap gains from renown and ap stacking, this made the game shift from SA trades to land the first CC and burst. yes some classes were better at trading SA because they had too much and a lot of lingering SA, but now we have the same problem but in reverse, some classes can out burst you and only need 1 or 2 CC to do that. both systems were broken but they never really tried to fix them to begin with. what they really should have done was 1- give other classes more SA 2- lower the return from AP stacking. this way we would go back to the time when pvp was tactical and involved SA trades and thinking about your next move, right now its just a cc burst fest that is very boring

11. C6H5CH3

Stated intention:
    We want to make the game better for everyone.
    Vision:
    We want to make the parts better people are more likely to swipe for.
    Reality:
    We made everything worse for everyone and a lot of people quit over it.

Every. Single. Time.

12. Zhev

omfg. i hear this the first time. this just tripled the incompetence. so they asking the siegeguilds(because they think in their glory wisdom that those people must be the best and all-knowing players for sure, representing all facets of bdo pvp), where a ap monkey build was mandatory since you were protected by 40 PAs anyway and as a result we get the retarded ap buff in january and the final doom to diversity and balance with renown? this is so ridiculous, i just cant believe it. the monkeys were crying for the alltime PA and they listened. omg im just dying, dying. pls kill me, i cant. nooo more, pls......

OptimusPrime likes this.
  13. Solo322

Kim Dae's vision:
    We need to find a way to make BDO the biggest cash grab
    Reality:
    artisan memories, renown score, cron enhancing.

14. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

I should consider coming back and regearing my Ninja, just so I can bully all you saltlords who whine about it.

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  15. Reigne Irkalla

Do it.

16. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

That's a lot of months of afking for fine accessory boxes.

17. OptimusPrime

*posted this in my OP instead*

#17 OptimusPrime, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  18. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 62 EU

but i thought we have p2w in game so that they can pay for server electricity bills and that devs have something to eat :(

19. ambyentlight

What PA did with renown was smart because that hand in hand with p2w option will encourage people to spend to catch up and drain their wallets. They don't give a crap about the playerbase as their company know best and they know they want all our money.

20. Schinrah

I don't think siege guilds were calling for it. Actually Siegeguilds were complaining about it alot, it already started with Jin Blizzard, because it made actually taking a castle so much harder for them. If you were already in one good for you, but better pray you never need to take one. Renown combined with the dumbing down of the Combatsystem basically gave the defenders an even bigger advantage than they already had.

Which ironically is another thing PA stated they wanted to address, making it easier for attackers to take a castle and reduce the defenders advantage. All they managed to do was change around some spawnpoints, but the issue that a few high geared players can easily hold chokepoints against superior numbers and just melt them trumps such feeble attempts.

Literally everything they intend to do somehow turns out to have the exact opposite effect, so again either they just love to lie, or they are that incompetent when it comes to make simply predictions.